It is currently October 20th, 2017, 8:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: March 19th, 2013, 2:18 pm 

Membership Status: Regular Member
From time to time we have members visit the forums and they may not know how to navigate or use them. Things such as how to post pictures, how to edit your posts, how to search/find a thread...a member...almost anything can be a mystery to someone who visits infrequently. Trial and error is fine, but it probably leads a few people to give up and not return. To remedy that, and to make our website a better experience for all who visit, we decided to make a resource person available. We needed someone who understands computers, technology, communications and especially forums like ours.

Shane Close generously volunteered to be that resource for PBS/probowsociety.net. Shane will be available via this announcement to assist you with the tasks that might have puzzled you. From time to time, he may offer up a sort of how-to thread dealing with our common questions. Please contact him...use him! We even gave him a fancy title: PBS Website Resource Assistant. As soon as Shane posts his reply here, anyone can contact him simply by clicking the 'PM' button at the bottom of his post.

You are also welcome to ask your questions anywhere on the forums, though we prefer you do it at the Cyber Campfire where it is most likely to be seen. Thanks.

PostPosted: March 19th, 2013, 2:40 pm 

Membership Status: Associate Member
Thanks Kevin! Like Kevin said, I'm here to help in any way possible. I think fancy titles make us all feel warm and fuzzy on the inside making us want to help more too! :lol:

Feel free to contact me with whatever questions you have. I am not familiar with everyone's knowledge of computers so I may try to explain it as basically as possible. Sometimes it may be easier to answer your question as a tutorial so I will send that to you as well as try and post that for everyone to check out. Also, my tutorials/explanations may or may not (usually not) be the only way to do something. So, if I post one way and your way is easier, please chime in. The whole goal is to make it easier for people to use this site and hopefully people will use it more too.

Shane

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: March 19th, 2013, 4:17 pm 

Thank you Shane!

PostPosted: March 19th, 2013, 6:48 pm 

Fancy title?

Global Director, PBS Website Assistance sounds more appropriate :)

Congratulations Shane!!

P.S. Shane - can you help me post pictures of a really big moose this September :D

PostPosted: March 19th, 2013, 10:58 pm 

Thanks Bryan!

You mean like this moose?

Attachments:
File comment: Alaskan moose
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 104.2 KiB | Viewed 9725 times ]

PostPosted: March 20th, 2013, 6:03 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks, this should really help increase participation.

Romans 10:15 “.......How beautiful are the feet of those that bring the Good News of Jesus...”

PostPosted: March 20th, 2013, 7:25 pm 

That one would work Shane!

PostPosted: March 20th, 2013, 8:25 pm 

Shane will be available via this announcement to assist you with the tasks that might have puzzled you.

Shane, how often should I rotate the tires on my VW Jetta sportswagon TDI?? The right side tires are like slicks.

PostPosted: March 20th, 2013, 8:57 pm 

Mark Ulschmid wrote:
Shane, how often should I rotate the tires on my VW Jetta sportswagon TDI?? The right side tires are like slicks.

:lol:

If you put those tires on the left side then you won't have an issue with the ones on the right side any more! 8-)

PostPosted: March 21st, 2013, 6:55 am 
Site Admin

Besides giving Shane the fancy title of "Global Director, PBS Website Assistance", maybe we can label a tab "Ask Shane Anything, even PBS-related questions". Can't wait for those Wensel questions....

Romans 10:15 “.......How beautiful are the feet of those that bring the Good News of Jesus...”

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2013, 7:01 pm 

Mark,

Now that you have Shane's wisdom in tire rotation could you come up to Dillon and help me out with mine. I do have one of those fancy jacks if you need it.

Shane, if I can find time, I will more than likely need your assistance in the future.

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2013, 7:49 pm 

No problem Tim, ask away!

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2013, 10:27 am 

Kevin,
Thanks for letting us know about Shane, he has already helped greatly.

PostPosted: July 14th, 2013, 11:40 am 

Shane,
Thanks for your time is helping with this site. I could use some assistance with posting a picture. One step at a time.
John

PostPosted: October 9th, 2013, 10:48 am 

Shane, I can't seem to load pictures. Everytime I "Browse" and "Open" the file it loads into the "Filename" blank. When I hit "Add the file" it sends me to the spam question and knocks out the file.

Why can't I add photos???

PostPosted: October 9th, 2013, 12:39 pm 

Hey Terry,

I think I've had other people have issues with this before. It's been a while. I can't quite remember the fix. I think it was just after you enter the spam question, to hit the back button on your browser and rehit submit. It's hard for me to figure out the solution if I can't seem to duplicate it on my end. Were you uploading on a phone, tablet, or computer? I'm trying to upload a picture now to see if I can duplicate this issue. If you (or anyone) ever has an issue, feel free to call/text/email me.

406-570-4454
shane.close18@gmail.com

I live in EST so, if you think it might be too late, or too early, stick with a text or email. :)

Also, I'm not sure what everybody's familiarity with computers and computer jargon is, so I'm trying to write this as simple as possible so that everyone can understand. I don't want to you or anyone feel dumb, I just want it easily understood by all.

Shane

Ok, it trying to upload a photo here's what I came across:
The first photo I tried to upload must have been too big. It finally uploaded but when the page refreshed to show the attachment, everything (my text and the photo) got erased. The second photo I tried to upload worked (as shown). I was never asked the spam question. This may be because I was asked the spam question earlier in this same session on being on the forum. So, one way to avoid being asked the spam question when you are trying to upload a photo is to first go to a password protected forum (Classifieds or Membership). Answer the password, then it'll ask you the spam question (if you haven't already answered it previously for that session). Once you do that, go back to where you were trying to post your picture and reattempt your post.

As for why your text/pictures turned up a little goofy on the Meat Pole thread. I have a feeling that is because it posted the photos the direction they were in your photo library. You might have to actually go to your "Photos" on your iPhone and rotate the direction of the photo from there. Unfortunately, even though we can host our on photos on this website, we do not have the power to rotate them, so you have to make sure your photo is rotated the correct direction before it gets uploaded. Another thing to note is that you can either post your photos "inline" or you can just have them all at the end. Placing a photo inline is really easy. After you have uploaded all the photos you want to for that post, simply type what you want to say, then you will see right below the text box a drop down menu. This drop down menu has all the photos that you've uploaded for that post. Select the correct file that you want to post next, then hit "Place inline", and it will put the attachment after whatever you've said.

For instance, I uploaded a picture of one of Wes Wallace's Mentors.

I could say: Here's a really nice Wes Wallace Mentor made from cocobolo with a bloodwood accent stripe and cocobolo veneers.

Then I'll just place the photo inline.
Attachment:
File comment: Nice bow
60.JPG
60.JPG [ 144.07 KiB | Viewed 8385 times ]

And then I can say that here's a bow that I just got in a trade, but I have a feeling is going to be too short for me at my draw length so probably won't keep it for long.
Attachment:
File comment: 58" 58@28
JK Traditions.JPG
JK Traditions.JPG [ 1.27 MiB | Viewed 8385 times ]

Hopefully all this makes sense. Again, feel free to ask as many questions as you want. I'm always happy to help.

PostPosted: October 9th, 2013, 12:45 pm 

Terry,

I just looked at your photos again. I think the issue you were having was the first one I described with the photos being too big. If I click on your photos (the sideways ones) they show the original file and that file is oriented the correct direction, but the file is HUGE. I think the flipping of the image was because of the size of the file and probably why you were having issues. Not 100% certain, but just my hunch.

Shane

PostPosted: October 9th, 2013, 1:41 pm 

Thanks Shane! I'll try the suggestions.

PostPosted: October 9th, 2013, 1:52 pm 

Thanks a lot Shane for trying to help. I'm still not able to get a photo to load from my laptop.

Tried the Back button after the spam question and it gave a "web page expired" and took me out of the site.

Tried going to a password protected area and work from there. Same result.

Tried just a simple reply, then spam question, and then add a photo. Same result.

I resized the photos to 640x480 and no luck.

Any other suggestions?

PostPosted: October 9th, 2013, 1:57 pm 

Hmm...

Are you getting a spam question every time you try to reply? I know Bryan had it set up that way at once, but he changed it because we were getting issues like what you were having. I seem to only get the spam question once per logon, regardless of whether or not I enter different password protected forums or try and post pictures.

PostPosted: October 9th, 2013, 5:02 pm 

I received my 3rd quarter magazine today.One of the articles mentioned that apparel,hats,etc were available in the webstore.I can only find the patches and sample magazines in the store and nothing else.Am I overlooking them in some way or looking in the wrong place? Thanks.

PostPosted: October 9th, 2013, 5:47 pm 

Hey David,

The link is in the membership forum.

PostPosted: October 9th, 2013, 7:00 pm 

It does get the spam question every time.

PostPosted: October 9th, 2013, 8:06 pm 

It shouldn't do that... Maybe ask a smarter computer man than me... Bryan Bolding

PostPosted: October 9th, 2013, 9:41 pm 

Shane Close wrote:
Hey David,

The link is in the membership forum.

Thanks Shane.It took me a few minutes as I had to go dig out that magazine as I had forgotten the password.I found the rest of the store.

PostPosted: October 17th, 2013, 6:48 am 

Shane, how do I/we delete a thread in the classifieds once the item is sold? I don't see an edit option to even change the title as sold.

PostPosted: October 17th, 2013, 8:26 am 

Short answer... You can't.

You can't edit a reply more than a few hours after you submit it. That goes for the entire website. The best thing to do on the classifieds is exactly what you did and reply on the thread that it is sold.

PostPosted: November 10th, 2013, 11:54 pm 

Hi Shane,
New to using the forums and would like to PM some members but can't find a PM box. Do we have this available and if so how do I use it,
Thanks, Dale

PostPosted: November 11th, 2013, 11:30 am 
Dale,

At the top of this page look for "Login, FAQ, Search, etc.". Click on "Members'" and just under Board Index is "Username begins with". Click the letter of the person's name (for example "D" for Doug). You'll have to scroll through the names until you find the person you wish to PM. To the right, under Message, is the PM button. Click on that to send your message.

Hope this helps.

Doug

PostPosted: November 11th, 2013, 12:28 pm 

Thanks Doug!

Another way is you'll see at the bottom of each person's reply to a thread there's two green links, one says "Profile" and the other says "PM". Clicking on that will start a PM.

Welcome to the forum and let me know if you have any more questions!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next