It is currently September 20th, 2017, 12:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Seminars
PostPosted: November 6th, 2014, 9:40 pm 

Membership Status: Associate Member
How are seminar topics/speakers decided?

There's probably a lot of guys out there with a lot of knowledge that maybe don't know folks want to hear what they have to say. I'd like to propose we list topics members would be interested in. Hopefully this would encourage those with special knowledge in those areas to come forward as potential speakers.

For starters, would there be any interest in a "how to" seminar that, with the aid of a projector, walks folks through the steps of things like posting pictures and video on the forums, how to use the forums, Facebook basics, etc.? The more people we have using relevant media, the more exposure we have as an organization, not to mention the sport as a whole.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Seminars
PostPosted: January 18th, 2015, 9:26 am 

Good idea. I know I should/would attend, as I am very computer illiterate!

PostPosted: January 18th, 2015, 1:58 pm 

Membership Status: Regular Member
We (Council) are all ears. Just keep in mind we have also had input to allow for more "visiting time" next Gathering (a few less seminars). Anyway, listing ideas is good -- especially right now as Council will be meeting in St. A. (March 5-8, 2015) to formulate a program for 2016.

One I'd like to see is how to maintain good shoulder and elbow health as we progress into "older age"...maybe one by Steve Leffler, or Don Thomas. Something like "bow shooting right to the grave!"

PostPosted: January 18th, 2015, 3:10 pm 
Site Admin

Membership Status: Life Member
Gene Wensel wrote:
Good idea. I know I should/would attend, as I am very computer illiterate!

I wonder if someone with skills (Bryan Bolding?) could do some kind of mid-winter webinar during these current winter months?

PostPosted: January 18th, 2015, 4:24 pm 

I previously committed to doing a map and compass seminar, complete with a practical exercise in the woods around the hotel. But, if that would take too much time I can cut back on the practical exercise and do it in the parking lot.

Other wood lore skill seminars might be:
~ How to build a fire, even in wet weather, how to make firestarters, and how to use a ferrocerium rod and knife to make a spark. We could do a practical exercise in the parking lot.
~ How to set up a basic survival shelter with what you carry in your backpack or lumbar pack. Again, we could do practical exercises outside so people can actually see it done rather than just read or hear about it.

How to sharpen edged tools and broadheads would be another interesting topic, but there are others in PBS who would do a better job than I would on this topic. Again, we should let people bring their sharp stuff and their files and hones with them to the seminar to actually try what they hear and get coaching on how to do it effectively.

Larry Schwartz

PostPosted: January 18th, 2015, 6:42 pm 
Site Admin

Larry Schwartz wrote:
I previously committed to doing a map and compass seminar, complete with a practical exercise in the woods around the hotel. But, if that would take too much time I can cut back on the practical exercise and do it in the parking lot.

Other wood lore skill seminars might be:
~ How to build a fire, even in wet weather, how to make firestarters, and how to use a ferrocerium rod and knife to make a spark. We could do a practical exercise in the parking lot.
~ How to set up a basic survival shelter with what you carry in your backpack or lumbar pack. Again, we could do practical exercises outside so people can actually see it done rather than just read or hear about it.

How to sharpen edged tools and broadheads would be another interesting topic, but there are others in PBS who would do a better job than I would on this topic. Again, we should let people bring their sharp stuff and their files and hones with them to the seminar to actually try what they hear and get coaching on how to do it effectively.

Larry Schwartz

These sound like really good ideas for Regional events, you might put those ideas in folk's mind that will be putting those Regional events.

PostPosted: January 18th, 2015, 6:49 pm 
Site Admin

How seminar selection worked for Cincinnati is I came into our meeting in 2013 with a handful of ideas and pitched them at the Council meeting. A few more ideas were tossed about and then as VP I started making seminar speaker invites and filled in the schedule. A few more came about due to volunteers coming forward with good ideas.

As many of you know we had some awesome seminars BUT we had too darned many so some were poorly attended. I will be making it known to Norm or Cory, who ever is elected our next VP, to not repeat my mistake!

Bottom line is it will largely fall to the next VP and new Council to select what they feel will be the most interest to our attending membership.

PostPosted: January 18th, 2015, 10:36 pm 

I like the idea of teaching during the cold winter months too. The topics here are great and would love to see one on using a GPS for hunting. I know I used one in Utah a few years back to find my lost camp in the middle of the night. Would have been a cold wet one sleeping under a tree if I did not have that.

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2015, 8:25 am 

[quote="Jim Akenson"

One I'd like to see is how to maintain good shoulder and elbow health as we progress into "older age"...maybe one by Steve Leffler, or Don Thomas. Something like "bow shooting right to the grave!"[/quote]

I would like to second this idea. It's a HUGE issue for even younger guys and gals.

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2015, 10:06 pm 

I'm not sure if it rates a seminar or a booth or maybe one of those narrated slide show deals that runs in some prominent place of the PBS member hunts. Maybe an overview sort of deal on the original Nebraska hunt with some cameo footage of some of the guys that were there telling a brief story or in some cases children of guys that were there with memorabilia and such. Then flash forward to some of the modern member hunts with some of our more colorful members doing a hunting tale from each hunt. We don't need to detail every one of them, but some of the more well attended hunts might be fun.

PostPosted: March 1st, 2015, 10:03 am 

I don't believe this has been suggested but if I missed it, excuse me because I'm nearly as old as the Wensel twins.

I believe a seminar or talk on Blackbeard Island NWF's history of its long running archery only hunts would be a no brainer since its only a short drive up the coast. Many of us have attended a hunt there along with many of archery's notables. It is one of a kind. We could get a speaker or two from the Savannah Office and put them up as guests. The folks who run Blackbeard are archery friendly and likely would enjoy hanging out with us for day or so.

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2015, 6:23 pm 

Please provide adequate time for lunch breaks. A one hour break in the speaking schedule does not cut it when everyone is rushing to eat at the same time. People like to have time to relax and mingle without feeling like they are missing out on stuff. And let's keep politics out of the dinner presentations and stick with something interesting and entertaining to all attendees, including non-hunting spouses and guests.

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2015, 3:03 pm 

I have these comments documented -- and we will be discussing at St A. this upcoming weekend when Council meets on site.

Please keep the ideas coming through this week, thanks!

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2015, 5:05 pm 

Is there any way to fit in an official, certified bowhunter education course? Maybe break it up into two mornings so attendees would not miss an entire day of the Gathering?

Do we have enough members that may need this for destination hunts, or enough younger members that have not had opportunity for a class?

PBS is loaded with experience and half of the learning from these classes comes from interaction of the students. Would be a great benefit to any younger or less experienced folks.

Some of this course can be done on-line as I understand. Maybe those interested could do the on-line portion prior to the Gathering and then one half day classroom/outdoor segment would complete the requirement.

I don't know. Just thinking through the keyboard.....

PostPosted: March 8th, 2015, 1:50 pm 

Duane Means wrote:
Is there any way to fit in an official, certified bowhunter education course? Maybe break it up into two mornings so attendees would not miss an entire day of the Gathering?

Do we have enough members that may need this for destination hunts, or enough younger members that have not had opportunity for a class?

PBS is loaded with experience and half of the learning from these classes comes from interaction of the students. Would be a great benefit to any younger or less experienced folks.

Some of this course can be done on-line as I understand. Maybe those interested could do the on-line portion prior to the Gathering and then one half day classroom/outdoor segment would complete the requirement.

I don't know. Just thinking through the keyboard.....

Duane,

I think that is a GREAT idea, and one that has crossed my mind on occasion.

I just left a phone message with the NBEF to see if an IBEP instructor could do the course and issue the card through the NBEF. I hope to get a response back sometime next week.

BUT, if that isn't possible then we could probably set it up with a Florida based IBEP instructor to do the field day portion for anyone who took the online portion of the Florida bowhunter education program before they came to St. Augustine. Per the Florida website their field day runs 4-6 hours depending on the number of students taking part and includes a classroom session, outdoor shooting, blood trailing, demonstrations of tree stand safety, and survival skills.

As an IBEP instructor here in MD I would be glad to help out if a Florida member/instructor wanted to take this on.

Larry