It is currently November 28th, 2014, 3:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: November 29th, 2011, 12:14 pm 

Membership Status: Regular Member
Since December is almost upon us and March 2012 isn't that far away, I thought I had better post some information now about our next PBS Membership hunt. There was an excellent Knowledge Through Experience topic about Hog Hunting back in March of this year, that really generated some excitement.

http://probowsociety.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=61

Ted Kinney and Cory Mattson did a great job. Ft. Stewart Georgia was mentioned in that series as a place to hunt hogs. I am not an expert hog hunter and I don't have a good lease to share, in fact almost all of my hog hunting has been done on public land. That might help explain why I have killed only a handful of hogs over the years, but I have had plenty of chances to kill more hogs, they just seem to win most of the encounters. Hunting hogs without the benefit of corn is a real challenge, especially when the pressure of public land is added. I have hunted Ft. Stewart on and off for about 6 or 7 years now and really enjoy hunting there, especially at the end of winter/early spring for reasons I will list later. If you are seeking an easy hog hunt, this is not for you. However, if you want a relatively cheap bowhunt for hogs in an interesting part of the country at perhaps the most pleasant time of the year, where there are plenty of hogs and a few challenges to overcome, then plan to join me and some other PBSers in late Feburary at Ft. Stewart Georgia.

I am in the process of gathering information, so for now I will provide a link to the Ft Stewart hunting website and a few photos from my last hog hunt (2/11) at Ft Stewart. Here is the link:

http://www.stewart.army.mil/dpw/wildlife/default.htm

Ft Stewart is near Savannah, Georgia and close to sea level, so it is flat. The locals call "ridges" anything over 10 feet higher than the surrounding areas. There is a good mix of hardwoods, pines, and thick areas of palmettos and river cane. Some interesting cyprus trees there too...

Attachment:
hunting-ga-2011 012.jpg
hunting-ga-2011 012.jpg [ 3.17 MiB | Viewed 4849 times ]

This is the kind of sign you want to find, because it means the pigs are somewhere nearby...

Attachment:
hunting-ga-2011 013.jpg
hunting-ga-2011 013.jpg [ 3.23 MiB | Viewed 4849 times ]

Attachment:
hunting-ga-2011 007.jpg
hunting-ga-2011 007.jpg [ 3.25 MiB | Viewed 4849 times ]

Attachment:
hunting-ga-2011 004.jpg
hunting-ga-2011 004.jpg [ 3.35 MiB | Viewed 4849 times ]

Attachment:
hunting-ga-2011 001.jpg
hunting-ga-2011 001.jpg [ 3.43 MiB | Viewed 4849 times ]

Last edited by Jeff Holchin on January 12th, 2012, 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: November 29th, 2011, 12:27 pm 

Of course, you can't expect to hunt the swamps of the southeast US without a few hazards, like these...

Attachment:
hunting-ga-2011 018.jpg
hunting-ga-2011 018.jpg [ 3.24 MiB | Viewed 4844 times ]

Actually a closer look at this fellow reveals that it is harmless...

Attachment:
hunting-ga-2011 021.jpg
hunting-ga-2011 021.jpg [ 3.27 MiB | Viewed 4844 times ]

But there are dangerous snakes including rattlesnakes, copperheads, cottonmouths and coral snakes here - snake boots are highly recommended. One of the reasons I like late February/ early March the best here is that the snakes are not very active at that time.

You might see a few of these too..

Attachment:
hunting-ga-2011 031.jpg
hunting-ga-2011 031.jpg [ 3.39 MiB | Viewed 4844 times ]

This is a very active military base, so it is best to avoid picking up old shells/mortars and to heed signs like these...

Attachment:
hunting-ga-2011 032.jpg
hunting-ga-2011 032.jpg [ 3.29 MiB | Viewed 4844 times ]

I have had several stalks ruined by "lost" tanks and humvees blasting through the woods and numerous dirt roads in each unit. Surprisingly, the hogs and deer are not very spooked by nearby machine gunfire and exploding artillary shells; I can't say the same for myself.

Last edited by Jeff Holchin on January 12th, 2012, 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: November 29th, 2011, 6:48 pm 

What is all required to "Qualify" to hunt on Ft Stewart?

Enjoy Mother Nature's Glory, everyday!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

PostPosted: November 30th, 2011, 8:38 am 

Good question Kelly, the new shooting qualification requirement is one of several challenges we will have to overcome. Here is the latest I heard, from a local guy named Randy Page from TradGang who hunts Ft. Stewart a lot:

"Fort Stewart implemented a Bow Certification Test for this Hunting Season. The initial test consisted of 2/3 shots at 20 and 30 yards from an elevated position. This was developed without consideration of the TG'er.
After many phone calls and emails, I finally convinced the authorities to amend the test for TG'ers. The new test for TG'ers will be 2/3 shots @ 15 and 20 yards shooting from on the ground or a elevated platform 10 feet high. The new standard will only be communicated verbally until the beaurocracy catches up with a Reg change. "

So if you shoot compound, you have to make 2 out of 3 hits at both 20 and 30 yards from an elevated platform. If you shoot traditional, you have to hit 2 of 3 targets from 15 and 20 yards from ground or 10' elevated platform. I don't know what kind of target yet, I am assuming the traditional circular archery ring target. That is a good development for traditional shooters, but a related limitation I am checking into is that the web site lists only 2 days of the week when the test can be taken. Either Thursday from 1400 to 1800 or Saturday from 0800 to 1100. Cost is $5. I have placed a call to the pass and permit office to confirm this information.

PostPosted: November 30th, 2011, 5:29 pm 

Membership Status: Associate Member
Jeff,

Along the line of the target you will be shooting at, many of the courses I have had to shoot to qualify were done using 3D deer targets and not circular archery targets. They also often require that you shoot broadheads and not field points to make sure that you can hit with broadheads.

These are both good ideas from my perspective but you should check so that everyone knows what the "test" will be going in; don't want someone to show up with field points and have to go back to get their broadhead tipped arrows.

Larry

PostPosted: December 1st, 2011, 3:29 pm 

Thanks Larry, I am getting some conflicting information and waiting on confirmation on the shooting qualification.

The bigger challenge at this base is the system they use to decide which units are open on any given day. You have to remember that it is a military base and civilians have to play by their rules. You could have a great day in a particular unit, see lots of hogs, and the next day that unit is closed! The way it works is each day, you can stop at the pass and permit office (just a few miles from the campground) and see a list of open units. There are some archery-only units close to the barracks and buildings, that seem to be open most of the time. You pick a unit, check in with your cell phone or the phone right there at the pass and permit building, and go hunting. I think you can sign into 2 units at the same time. However, you MUST sign out of these units at the end of the day, or when you are done with that unit. They are very serious about this. Also, they are careful to not get too many hunters into any given unit for safety, so it is possible that you might not be able to hunt the unit you want if others have already checked in to that unit. This system is pretty user-friendly and easy to pick up, but for somebody like me who only hunts military bases once or twice a year, it can be a little stressful. Make sure to obey all posted speed limits and signs that say "STAY OUT"- they don't mess around there!

There are two options for lodging while hunting Ft Stewart; either get a motel room at nearby Hinesville or back on I-95, or use the base campground. I use the campground, which has both camper sites with all the hook-ups ($25/night) and about 20 primitive sites for tents ($12/night per tent - you can put multiple tents on one site). There is a bath-house with flush toilets and showers. You can possibly reserve the camper sites (I think military personnel have preference, but that section always is full or nearly full) while the tent sites are first come-first serve. One thing I love about the campground is that the hogs sometimes come rooting thru the area; I have been awakened that way several times. There is also a nice lake with lots of fish next to the campground. Plenty of places to eat at Hinesville or back on I-95. Military personnel can rent small boats too, which could come in very handy in certain units to access areas away from the roads (bring your boater safety card if you plan to do this).

Regarding costs, the annual base pass to hunt only is $60/yr and $85/yr to hunt and fish. There is good fishing on base, mostly for bass but also brim and shell-crackers - one time a lady pulled in a 6-7 lb bass as I was walking by a canal. The daily rates are $5/day to fish and $15/day to hunt. You have to buy the base pass at the pass and permit office, in person, and make sure to bring your hunter safety certificate. You will need a GA hunting license also, either a 3 day NR tag for $20 or the 1 year NR tag for $100, depending on how often you plan to return. These can be bought online or at sporting goods stores and Wal-Mart. Here is a handy link:

http://www.eregulations.com/georgia/hun ... formation/

PostPosted: December 7th, 2011, 1:11 pm 

I guess one of the most important factors for this hunt will be the dates of the hunt, followed closely by the length of the hunt. As of now it is up in the air somewhat, I was thinking the beginning of March, depending on several factors. I do know that you can't hunt hogs on Ft Stewart once the spring turkey season opens (unlike the WMAs), which is Saturday March 24. That is the PBS banquet weekend anyway, so we want to be closer to the beginning of March. By the turkey opener, the "nasties" like skeeters, ticks, chiggers, no-see-ums, scorpions, fire ants, snakes and gators will be pretty active and will take away from the overall experience, especially for our northern hunters. I was originally thinking of starting the hunt around the last weekend of February, but I learned that the Indiana Bowhunters banquet is that weekend and several Hoosiers have expressed interest in this hunt, plus I now have a work commitment that week that could run into the weekend. Another factor is whether or not we can only take the archery qualifying test on Thursdays and Saturdays - I am still waiting for clarification on that one. So right now, it seems that starting the hunt the weekend of March 3 will work out the best. Some may just want to come for a long weekend, especially if they live relatively close to the base, while those travelling from the frozen north may want to make it worth-while and stay thru the following week. I should mention here that while I intend to be there the beginning weekend (probably arriving on Thursday March 1 and staying through Monday, March 5), I will likely have to run home for a couple days during the week to help with family and work duties.

So, can I get an idea if there is any interest and your preference for the hunt dates? It is early enough that I have some flexibility.

Last edited by Jeff Holchin on January 12th, 2012, 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: January 9th, 2012, 11:27 pm 

It looks like a perfect trip. Unfortunately I cannot make it this year. However, with more planning something like this would be right up my alley. I would like to connect with some bowhunters down south in order to do some hunting and meet good people. Of course they would be welcome to come hunt up here with me as well. So if you're going to plan something for next winter (December - February) then please consider me as a high probability.

PostPosted: January 10th, 2012, 8:58 am 

Thanks for the interest, Ray. These PBS membership hunts should provide low-cost opportunities to hunt new animals and areas of the country, with the help of a local host. This one could turn into an annual event if there is enough interest, so maybe we'll see you there in 2013. I hope so. I have had several out-of-state friends join me there by flying in/out of the nearby Savannah airport, it is pretty convenient.

Hog killer extraordinaire RC was going to visit Ft. Stewart to take the qualifying test and hunt a few hogs - maybe he will post the results here, or I'll pass them on after talking with him. I will probably get down there for a weekend later this month or in February, and will provide updates then. The first weekend in march works best for me for this hunt; I plan to be there from thursday through Sunday at least, possibly into the following week also, depending on how many bowhunters show up and how much vacation time they have.

PostPosted: January 10th, 2012, 9:21 am 

As it turns out I am flying into Savannah next month to hunt hogs. So the will and interest is geniune for me. And to have a local there , even better. A long time ago I was stationed on Fort Stewart GA for two years when I served in the Infantry. We spent some time in Africa and the Middle East too. But I remember mostly good things about Georgia. Once you can look past the chiggers, venomous snakes and gators :lol:

How long does it take for the hog test on the base? I just want to understand the logistics on that one. Thank you.

PostPosted: January 11th, 2012, 8:53 am 

"Once you can look past the chiggers, venomous snakes and gators "

That just makes it even more fun! This will be like a homecoming to you, the base has probably changed a little since you were there last. I will post more info about the shooting qualification once I get it.

PostPosted: January 17th, 2012, 8:47 pm 

Jeff, this sounds great ! An adventure , unknowns, new stuff, posibilities,and PIGS ! Will stay in touch. Bill

PostPosted: January 18th, 2012, 5:27 pm 

Glad that you found this thread Bill. I have a bunch of Ft Stewart photos somewhere, I'll post a few once I find them.

To date I have 3 guys who are pretty sure they are coming to this hunt, and several more "maybes".

Right now I have the first weekend in February open and might go there to take the shooting qualification and scout/hunt some. We'll see.

PostPosted: January 21st, 2012, 7:23 pm 

Jeff,

This hunt would be a great oportunity for me to cure my cabin fever, but it will not work for me this year---I have training schools that I am the facilitator at for pretty much all of February and most of March---

The last week of Marh is our Spring Break and I have it off to work on the house some, and to take the family down to Nashville----They love trips to Nashville and you will never see me again, if I back out on that trip---The Nashville Trip is to make up for not taking everybody out to Portland ---

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2012, 8:33 am 

No problem PJ, best to keep the family happy. Maybe next year we can schedule this hunt earlier, I just know that the quality of hunting increases the further you get from the fall/winter gun season for deer and hogs.

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2012, 10:35 am 

How about some advice on boots? knee high, hip high, chest high?

I just bought some hip high and chest high waders at a discount store and am dying for an excuse to use them.

One thought that has gone through my mind is to identify high spots in the swamps and then use the waders to get to them, getting to some 'untouched' areas. Often the thoughts in my head do not match reality to well. :geek:

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2012, 1:46 pm 

Bob, glad that you are considering this hunt. For boots, I usually just wear my Lacross knee high Burley boots if I think it is too cold for snakes, and my knee high snake boots otherwise. By the way, get the good snake boots like these...

http://www.google.com/#q=snake+boots&hl ... 80&bih=603

You can search old threads about snake boots on TradGang. I went cheap and got some Wally World snake boots that are NOT waterproof and they wear blisters on my heels. Bad idea, but I will have a good pair of waterproof snake boots by the time of this hunt.

There have been several times when following hogs I wished I had hip boots or even waders, but then you see a 10 gator on the bank eyeballing you and decide it is better NOT to wade in. I shot a hog once that had its hind foot bit off by a gator.

I do like your idea of crossing water for those islands of cover or food that could hold hogs. There are several very nice streams on base that I have always thought would be fun to float on a canoe or jon boat with small outboard. You can even rent canoes and jon boats on base, although I think military personnel has first dibs. Definitely something to check into. Two guys with a canoe could leave a truck at a bridge, drive upstream several miles and park at another bridge and have a good hunt, even make a day of it.

One thing I wanted to mention that can be helpful for scouting, since most have never been to this base before. An excellent method of scouting is simply driving along the dirt roads and looking for sign, like rootings, wallows in the mud, mud on the base of trees where they rubbed, and tracks, like these...

Attachment:
hunting-ga-2011 017.jpg
hunting-ga-2011 017.jpg [ 3.28 MiB | Viewed 4502 times ]

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2012, 2:23 pm 

Hmmm. Snakes and gators. I think I will take my chances with the snakes and use my La Crosses.

The hip and chest waders will come along just in case I feel like doing some aligator wrestlin.

I have a canoe but the logistics of getting it to Fort Stewart redlines my laziness meter.

On a side note. So far, I am traveling alone. If any other hunters are traveling through the middle of TN (I-65/I-24) and would like some company/help with gas or driving I would be game for some car pooling. Our hunting dates would have to agree somewhat though.

Currently the only unknown in my schedule is a scouting event (I have 2 boys) poping up the first weekend of March. We haven't done our scouting schedule yet conflicts could arise.

PostPosted: January 25th, 2012, 1:17 pm 

Here is the hunt roster so far:

Bob in TN - yes
Bill in VA - yes
George in MS - yes
Rob in VA - very likely?
Julian in SC - very likely?
Sam in NC - very likely?
me in NC - host

That makes 7 so far. Several others have contacted me and are interested.

There are several things you can do to prepare for this hunt, in addition to the info I provided so far. There have been numerous threads about hog hunting at Ft. Stewart on bowhunting and other websites, for example TradGang and Bowsite. I just Googled "hog hunting at Ft. Stewart, GA" and found dozens of threads and stories - you might get some leads on hot spots or good units to try. At the least the photos are interesting and gives an idea of what that country looks like.

Also, you really need the official Ft Stewart map - contact the office on base and see if you can order one and have it sent to you for study. If not, buy one when you arrive on base.

Somewhere on the Ft Stewart web site are maps showing the locations of the food plots in each unit, I think even with a description of each plot. That is great info, the hogs will be hitting these plots and they are great places to start when hunting a new area. A really diligent hunter might even call that game biologists and food plot managers on base and ask which ones have been planted and which ones have the most hog damage right now. You can get some really great info if you ask nice and find the right person. You might even call the game wardens on base - they know where all the animals are. Remember, these hogs are pests that are very destructive - they WANT them killed!

Google Earth is also a good way to view the site.

It is over 60 degrees here in Hickory NC today and the spring peepers have started peeping already. It is 71 and sunny at Ft Stewart today, probably a beautiful day there - wish I was there now as this is the best time of year there IMO. I hope to get down there for a quick scout/hunt over Super Bowl weekend. Spring might come early this year!

Last edited by Jeff Holchin on January 26th, 2012, 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: January 25th, 2012, 1:45 pm 

OK, another update as I just talked with Willie at the Pass and Permit office. He manages the archery qualification testing. Outside of what they consider the main hunting season (August to November, when they hold the archery qualification every thursday afternoon and saturday morning), a bowhunter has to make an appointment to take this test. I think there is a small fee too, I forgot to ask. Willie confirmed that trad bowhunters shoot 3 arrows from the ground at 15 and 20 yards each, into a pie plate - you have to get 2 out of 3 in the plate at both distances. I made an appointment to take this qualification on Feb. 4.

This is good news I think. I informed Willie that our bowhunting group will be hunting from March 1-4 or so, and will be taking the qualification test at the beginning of our hunt. Once we finalize our roster and figure out when each hunter will arrive, you can make your appointment with Willie (912-435-8061). Hopefully we can coordinate to do this at one or two times that are convenient with Willie.

PostPosted: January 26th, 2012, 1:43 pm 

Hey Jeff;

You can change my status from 'very likely' to 'YES'.

I plan on arriving on Thursday the 1st of March, and staying through Monday or perhaps later.

I have communicated with a professional aquaintence down at Fort Stewart about hunting information. So far one of the wildlife guys has recommended the archery areas in the Cantonment area (the city area of the installation) that were opened up to archery-only hunting just this past fall. But he could have his own agenda (wanting to get the complaints down about hogs in the cantonment area, instead of directing us to the most populated piggy locations).

I have the Fort Stewart Special (what they call the 1:50,000 map used for identifying the training areas). It does not show contours (there may not be any). I am hoping to merge this map with a good contour map and then add the 'food plot' and 'tree type' information and aerial photos. Then I can calculate exactly where the pigs are (there isn't a wink-wink emoticon to insert here). This technique has never failed to get me into the remotest hell hole in an area with no game around for miles.

I will be bringing a big wallmart family tent for my sleeping accomodations.

Bow set up is a 3-piece takedown Pronghorn pulling 59# at 26".
Arrows are cedar.
Broadheads are 125gr Ribteks. I used to shoot 125/160gr snuffers. I am thinking about pulling out some of these older arrows with the snuffers to use on these hogs. It seems the recomendations have leaned toward wider 2-blade heads but I do not have any of those.

I am a little aprehenisve about the shooting test. In my back yard I passed 9 out of 10 times. But as usual the more I work on my shooting, the worse it seems to get.

I am looking forward to this hunt. It has been about 7 years since I have been lost in a swamp. Enough time has passed so that I only remember the good parts of being scared sh**less :mrgreen: .

PostPosted: January 26th, 2012, 7:50 pm 

Ah, getting lost is a southern swamp, good times! Especially fun when the stream that you are using as a landmark, is found to be flowing the wrong way! Which do you trust, that old rusty compass or your "internal" compass??? GPS would be useful here.

Not much topography at this military reservation, very flat.

There is one thing you DON'T want to hear: the buzz of Texas-sized skeeters intent on draining your blood. Usually late February/early March is a great time with few skeeters, but an early spring could bring them out in force. It would be wise to bring a Thermocell with you, it can save a hunt in these southern swamps, believe me!

Bob sure is fired up, how about anybody else?

PostPosted: January 28th, 2012, 12:34 pm 

Jeff and others,

I'm in a pretty tough spot right now and will have to maintain a "maybe" status for I don't know how long. My father in law is travelling down his final road with lung cancer and suffered a major heart attack about 10 days ago. I've only seen my wife for a few hours since and have two kids, their school and extra activities, a scout troop, work etc etc to tend to. Bottom line, I don't know what the next day will bring, much less week and month.

HOWEVER! Yes, I'm pumped and plan to get there for some portion of the hunt if at all possible. It's only two hours away so if there is a way, it will happen. If there isn't, I think you all understand.

I've never been much of a hog hunter, but the chance to spend time in the woods with Jethro Holchin and any other PBS'rs is not one I will soon take for granted.

PostPosted: January 29th, 2012, 5:05 pm 

Sounds good Julian, take care of family first. We'll hunt together soon, one way or another.

PostPosted: January 31st, 2012, 11:33 am 

Hey Jeff;

I guess you are going to Fort Stewart this weekend. Good luck.

Are their certain areas of the base you think the hunting is better (North, South, East, West, Cantonment Area...)?

Do you have any favorite Training Areas you want to share?

The place is big and by looking at the maps it is covered with swamps.

do the pigs hit the food plots?

Sorry for all the questions, but it is hard to figure out where to start.

PostPosted: January 31st, 2012, 12:43 pm 

No worries Bob, ask away. I am planning to make a quick trip to Ft. Stewart this weekend, as long as no family emergencies come up. I plan to drive down there saturday morning, shoot the qualifying targets, and then scout/hunt the rest of saturday and sunday morning. I'll stay at the base campground. Gotta church meeting at 4:30 sunday. I will take photos and post next week. There is a good chance that Julian will join me on Saturday.

I really don't have any favorite areas, every single unit has hogs. I do expect the food plots to be used by the hogs, especially the green fields. Lots of water on this base, but more in the form of streams, ditches, and ponds compared to swamps. I like to follow along a stream or ditch, rather than wade into the middle of a big swamp. Supposed to be around 70 with possible thunderstorms.

PostPosted: February 5th, 2012, 11:17 am 

So this PBS hunt is officially underway. I got down there yesterday and met up with Jeff late morning. We were hunting by early afternoon. I don't want to share too much until Jeff gets back on line. He stayed last night and should get some hunting in this morning.

I'll just say there are plenty of hogs on this place and every one that can attend should have a great hunt. I hope my family situation allows me to join in when March gets here. I definitely appreciate Jeff showing me the ropes and I'll definitely be putting in some solo time there since it is about a two hour drive from home.

My hostess with the mostess.....

The scene of some fresh sign and a bit of unexpected excitement...

PostPosted: February 6th, 2012, 10:30 am 

Well I did more driving than hunting, but it was a very productive weekend at Ft. Stewart. I finally got to hunt with Julian, we both qualified for the archery thing, and we spent some time in several units. Saw some critters too, including hogs. I also have some useful information about hunting at Ft. Stewart.

The 2 guys running the archery qualification are good guys. We had a 10 am appointment, and after warming up for a few minutes, Julian stepped up to the line and easily qualified at 15 and 20 yards. No doubt his good form helped..

Attachment:
P1130066.JPG
P1130066.JPG [ 3.36 MiB | Viewed 4276 times ]

I put 2 arrows in plate at 15 yards, but it took me 3 attempts to qualify at 20 yards! First time in 30 years of bowhunting that I had to qualify. Cost $5. Here is what the card looks like..

Attachment:
P1130082.JPG
P1130082.JPG [ 3.25 MiB | Viewed 4276 times ]

After that, Julian got his base pass. Here is what all you will need to bowhunt hogs at Ft. Stewart:

Base pass for dashboard and a photo ID, hunter safety card, small game license, and archery qualification card.

Attachment:
P1130125.JPG
P1130125.JPG [ 3.36 MiB | Viewed 4276 times ]

You really need one of these too, a base map showing all the units plus topo and features like roads, bridges, landings, etc.

Attachment:
P1130087.JPG
P1130087.JPG [ 3.46 MiB | Viewed 4276 times ]

PostPosted: February 6th, 2012, 10:47 am 

You will need a compass at a minimum, and GPS unit is better. This is near sea level and some areas look the same so you can get turned around. On Sunday I was reminded that you can't even count on the direction the rivers flow, because they are tide-influenced. The river I was following that morning was flowing the wrong way, at least for a while!

The automated unit check-in process takes a little getting used to. Here are the instructions, I will help with this process, but just remember that checking out of a unit after hunting is VERY important - you could lose your hunting pass if you fail to check out of a unit, which I almost forgot to do saturday night!

Attachment:
P1130126.JPG
P1130126.JPG [ 3.4 MiB | Viewed 4273 times ]

The base is divided up into sections A through F, and each section has multiple units, say 1 through 15. You go to the pass office and they list the open units for that day plus the next few days. You choose from the open units and check into a unit. So if unit B-2 was open and you wanted to hunt there, you punch in #0202 when you call...

Attachment:
P1130127.JPG
P1130127.JPG [ 3.26 MiB | Viewed 4273 times ]

Is that clear as mud? If so, don't worry, I will explain better when we get there. Probably the biggest problem with this base is that the "best" units are often closed for troop training; for example this past weekend my favorite units in sections B and F were closed! But there are hogs everywhere so you just move on to another unit.

This is a typical road...

Attachment:
P1130122.JPG
P1130122.JPG [ 3.5 MiB | Viewed 4273 times ]

The left post indicates the road # is Ft. Stewart 59 and the unit on that side of the road is C-13 (roads typically separate the units)...

Attachment:
P1130120.JPG
P1130120.JPG [ 3.29 MiB | Viewed 4273 times ]

While this post on the right side of the road also confirms that it is road #59, and unit C-17 on that side of the road...

Attachment:
P1130121.JPG
P1130121.JPG [ 3.21 MiB | Viewed 4273 times ]

PostPosted: February 6th, 2012, 11:03 am 

I did stay at the campground saturday night, but got yet another lesson that I was a visitor on a military base and had to play by their rules. I checked with the camp hosts, a couple that I knew pretty well from my many visits, to get a primitive site. They asked about my tent, and I remarked that I would just pull into my $12 site and sleep in the truck, which is what I prefer on short hunts. I have done this many times here previously.

Attachment:
P1130092.JPG
P1130092.JPG [ 3.29 MiB | Viewed 4272 times ]

No sir! That is no longer allowed. They told me plainly that I wasn't welcome if I didn't have a tent, and a tarp didn't count. I had left my tent at home. They suggested the local Wal-Mart, but also required me to return by 8 pm. Julian and I hunted until dark, then I went to Wally World, bought a tent and returned at 7:57. I had to knock on their camper door and they weren't amused with me...

Oh well, I had a new tent...

Attachment:
P1130088.JPG
P1130088.JPG [ 3.18 MiB | Viewed 4272 times ]

I decided to just "Schuster" for the night...if you know PBSer Matt Schuster, you know that dinner consists of a can of soup, some crackers, and not much more. Unfortunately, there were no other campers nearby to visit and look longingly at their food with beagle eyes...

Attachment:
P1130089.JPG
P1130089.JPG [ 3.22 MiB | Viewed 4272 times ]

It was very dry there, and the lake at the campground was 4' low! We can't have alcohol, loaded guns and butcher hogs at the campground. There is a nice processing building next to the pass office.

This is a military base, so expect to hear shooting, see tanks and humvees, and possibly find things like these. Don't touch!

Attachment:
P1130083.JPG
P1130083.JPG [ 3.36 MiB | Viewed 4272 times ]