Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: March 25th, 2011, 9:36 pm 
Site Admin

Membership Status: Life Member
John3

PBS Member
Member # 48

posted March 14, 2011 09:50 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pick two species and we want your absolute favorites. Money and time aside,,, your favorites...

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 45 user(s) have voted.
Voting started at March 14, 2011 09:49 AM board time.
Voting stops at March 30, 2011 09:49 AM board time.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

--------------------
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John3

PBS Member
Member # 48

posted March 14, 2011 09:52 AM
I wanted to give a choice for African Plains game and didn't do this.. Please choose "other" and post the animals...

--------------------
Maurice Thompson 1879

FerretWyo

PBS Member
Member # 1236

posted March 14, 2011 10:54 AM
Elk are hands down my favorite. I love chasing cats as well.

P.J. Petiniot
PBS Member
Member # 24

posted March 14, 2011 11:02 AM
I put down Hogs/Javelina and Caribou--I love hunting them and they offer the novice bowhunters the ability to mess up, as there are usually plenty of willing victims in the area.

Great animals to introduce newcomers to bowhunting-

Moose, Elk and Mt Lions are on my short list--

--------------------
The unspoken word is capital. We can invest it or we can squander it.
- Mark Twain's Notebook

J. Olson

PBS Member
Member # 220

posted March 14, 2011 11:32 AM
Well, I voted for moose and caribou, although I have never hunted either (yet). Those are my dream animals and I think the stalking/still hunting would be awesome. If I have to choose animals that I've hunted before, then I'm going with whitetails and pond pigs...er, I mean...carp.

--------------------
Jameson Olson, proud member of the Indiana Bowhunter Association

Terry Receveur

PBS Publicity Chairman
Member # 3

posted March 14, 2011 11:45 AM
That wasn't fair! I wanted to check more species.

I chose whitetails because I get to hunt them often and moose because of where you get to hunt them.

Jame, I too love to bowfish the wet critters. Carp and alligators are fun to shoot.

--------------------
"Dad when can we go bear hunting?" - My 15 year old daughter Jennifer!

J. Olson

PBS Member
Member # 220

posted March 14, 2011 11:47 AM
Terry, how are the gators for eating? I've heard mixed reviews on them when it comes to table fare. I assume it just depends on how they are prepared.

--------------------

bofish-il

PBS Member
Member # 72

posted March 14, 2011 11:55 AM
James: One of the club members had some gator meat rolled in batter and deep fried at the annual Carp shoot a few years ago. If I remember right it was the tail section only.

While I am not a big fish eater the gator meat was good.

Terry Receveur

PBS Publicity Chairman
Member # 3

posted March 14, 2011 12:01 PM
Jame, it is excellent! To me it tastes a lot like pork. I cook a lot of it up as "gator bites". Small chunks rolled in my favorite fish batter and deep fried. Very tastey! I'll make up a bunch of gator bites and then add them to some chinese dishes. I made up some alligator ala orange for a local rabbit hunt and unless everyone was lieing, it was good!

The tail and jaw meat is the best. It is all white meat. You get into the legs and it is red meat and that really isn't very good.

--------------------
"Dad when can we go bear hunting?" - My 15 year old daughter Jennifer!

J. Olson

PBS Member
Member # 220

posted March 14, 2011 12:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Terry Receveur:
To me it tastes a lot like pork.

Really? Now see I would have guessed it more as a shrimp, not pork. Either way it sounds like something I need to try.

Mountain lion backstraps...now THAT tastes like good pork!

--------------------

Biggie Hoffman

PBS Member
Member # 78

posted March 14, 2011 04:00 PM
Nothing like a crisp fall morning and a big whitetail. Not sex, not food, not money.

--------------------
Life Member #25

"Eat, sleep, hunt........life is good!" Barry Wensel, 1988

P.J. Petiniot
PBS Member
Member # 24

posted March 14, 2011 05:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Biggie Hoffman:
Nothing like a crisp fall morning and a big whitetail. Not sex, not food, not money.

Who are you and what have you done with Biggie Hoffman? NOT EVEN FOOD?

You sir, are not Wayne Hoffman--

--------------------
The unspoken word is capital. We can invest it or we can squander it.
- Mark Twain's Notebook

John3

PBS Member
Member # 48

posted March 14, 2011 05:58 PM
Bears and the country they live in call to me.. I grew up bowhunting in my Missouri riverbottoms chasing whitetails but I love bear bowhunting even more. Spot n stalk black bears is the most fun bowhunting I've ever had. After bears give me a Kansas creekbottom every fall day. You never know what could walk under you at any time. What a whitetail paradise!!

--------------------
Maurice Thompson 1879

Allen
PBS Member
Member # 178

posted March 14, 2011 06:19 PM
Biggie H. said it all!

--------------------
Try and be the person that your dog thinks you are...

Biggie Hoffman

PBS Member
Member # 78

posted March 15, 2011 06:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by P.J. Petiniot:

quote:
Originally posted by Biggie Hoffman:

Who are you and what have you done with Biggie Hoffman? NOT EVEN FOOD?

You sir, are not Wayne Hoffman--

PJ...the truth is out :-)

--------------------
Life Member #25

"Eat, sleep, hunt........life is good!" Barry Wensel, 1988

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: March 25th, 2011, 9:37 pm 
Site Admin

Membership Status: Life Member
Steve Hohensee

Administrator
Member # 44

posted March 15, 2011 09:19 AM
Up with the mountain goats, looking down at all the minions below.....

Kevin Clark
NON-PBS
Member # 114

posted March 15, 2011 11:27 AM
I'd have to say elk and whitetail. Honestly, my favorite animal to hunt is the one I'm hunting at the time.

James Miller
PBS Member
Member # 3606

posted March 15, 2011 12:06 PM
Big Game-Elk. Other-Coyotes/bobcats.

[ March 15, 2011, 03:04 PM: Message edited by: James Miller ]

Snag

PBS Member
Member # 12

posted March 15, 2011 01:19 PM
I live to be in the "elk woods". They live in some of the most beautiful parts of the world and they taste so good. Just nothing like hearing that bull bugle in the early morning light...gets the hair to stand up on the back of my neck everytime!

bowhunter

PBS Member
Member # 164

posted March 15, 2011 01:48 PM
What ever is in season. Elk and Whitetals are high on the list. American antelope are low. I'd rather hunt almost any North American animal than anything else I've seen, 'cept maybe Embogo or Kudu.

--------------------
Dan

Dave Pagel
PBS Member
Member # 213

posted March 15, 2011 01:51 PM
Elk are my favorite so far. I haven't hunted moose or bear with my bow yet. I enjoy whitetails because I get a lot more opportunity to hunt them.

Dave

MViehweg
PBS Member
Member # 117

posted March 15, 2011 05:18 PM
I love hunting whitetails, but hunting moose, caribou, sitka blacktails and all species of bears in Alaska with my feet on the ground is what live for.

MViehweg
PBS Member
Member # 117

posted March 15, 2011 05:21 PM
BTW Biggie, are we talking all you can to of line buffet or once through type. Is there such a thing as a bad buffet? Actually, I totally agree with your read on it when it's going on for any species during their rut. Nothing does really compare.

MViehweg
PBS Member
Member # 117

posted March 15, 2011 05:24 PM
Excuse the gibberish in the 1st sentence of the last post. Meant to say "all you can eat top of the line buffet".

Buck Rodgers
PBS Member
Member # 155

posted March 16, 2011 01:17 AM
ELK and I've never hunted them but would like to chase caribou before taking a dirt nap.

--------------------
PBS campfires best place until we get to Heaven!!!!!!!!!!

Jeff Harper

PBS Member
Member # 145

posted March 16, 2011 11:26 AM
Ahh yes, Before the dirt nap I would love to play in the Elk woods.

--------------------
What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel,
but my memory. -Aldo Leopold.

Joe Lasch
PBS Member
Member # 21

posted March 16, 2011 12:06 PM
First choice would no doubt be elk. Their bugles give me chills down my spine, and the country they live in calls like no other.
Second choice would be elk, and after that, more elk.
I love almost any type of hunting, but elk are far and away at the top of my list.

--------------------
www.prairietrad.com
Bow Hospital
Packs, Quivers,Tents

Jeff Holchin
PBS Member
Member # 37

posted March 16, 2011 03:02 PM
Elk is #1 for me, followed closely by sheep. Both live in wonderful, wild country.

RC
PBS Member
Member # 3607

posted March 20, 2011 01:53 AM
Pigs for me deer second with Turkeys third. I have to admit I really love chasing squirrels with my longbow too....just can`t afford the arrows for them.RC

Rick McGowan
PBS Member
Member # 56

posted March 20, 2011 02:41 PM
I like variety, I really like hunting ANYTHING and especially something I have never hunted before. WILD cattle and water buffalo are awesome, big, dangerous and difficult to hunt.

PostPosted: March 28th, 2011, 8:33 am 

:D

These guys

Attachments:
Doug and Ground hog.jpg
Doug and Ground hog.jpg [ 27.64 KiB | Viewed 1926 times ]

PostPosted: March 28th, 2011, 8:37 am 

If I could have tags every year

Sheep of any type Bighorn, Dall, Desert, Stone

Then Woodchucks

PostPosted: March 28th, 2011, 8:46 am 

Membership Status: Regular Member
DOUG!....I hope you filled in the hole after killing that one!

:lol:

PostPosted: March 28th, 2011, 10:59 am 

I left it open Kevin, waiting for a trespasser to come by. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: March 28th, 2011, 11:08 am 

My favorite animal to hunt of all time is the Roosevelt elk that haunts the Oreegon coast. Well known as the "ghost of the coast"

PostPosted: March 28th, 2011, 11:59 am 

Caribou and Whitetail Deer.
Bo

PostPosted: March 28th, 2011, 6:10 pm 

elk and then deer or bear - all on the ground

PostPosted: March 28th, 2011, 7:10 pm 

Membership Status: Associate Member
It has to be the Whitetails but Black bears are one of the coolest animals to be around also.

PostPosted: March 28th, 2011, 9:10 pm 

All of them are my favorite. Many a good elk hunt has been paused due to a good grouse hunt! For me it is about being out and about!

PostPosted: March 29th, 2011, 8:38 am 

If I can pick only two, Whitetails #1, and Caribou #2
Brian Tessmann

Brian Tessmann

PostPosted: March 29th, 2011, 8:51 am 

I hunt whitetails mostly because they're here in my back yard. Fun, yes...but I've grown somewhat indifferent to them. It's probably the constant contact (daily) with them that makes them feel almost semi-domesticated to me. I'd probably feel differently if I lived away from them.

I can't opinionate on any animal I've never hunted.

I'm currently having an infatuation (several years long) with big Alaska-Yukon moose. I also love caribou in the far north, and would hunt them every possible chance.

PostPosted: March 29th, 2011, 12:29 pm 

Membership Status: Associate Member
Elk because of where they live & because they have kicked my butt so far & whitetails.