Post subject: Bowhunting Experience?
PostPosted: March 25th, 2011, 9:31 pm 
Site Admin

Membership Status: Life Member
John3

PBS Member
Member # 48

posted March 07, 2011 07:06 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How many years have you been a bowhunter and where has this lead you?

Poll Information
This poll contains 3 question(s). 63 user(s) have voted.
Voting started at March 07, 2011 07:05 PM board time.
Voting stops at March 27, 2011 08:05 PM board time.

--------------------
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bawana Bowman
PBS Member
Member # 97

posted March 07, 2011 07:26 PM
Questions like these force a person to think and count at the same time, that's not as easy as it sounds when your approaching 60. Looking back on all those years of hunting makes me wonder how this body continues to get around as well as it does.
Guess maybe it really is mind over matter. If you don't mind the work it don't matter how old you are.

Zipper Bows
PBS Member
Member # 3359

posted March 07, 2011 07:47 PM
I expected to be on the inexperienced end in this group.
I will never forget,when my step dad took me to buy my first bow.He just could not understand why I wanted a bow.When he had a perfectly good cross bow I could use.It took me 3 years to draw blood with that old Bear.I'm not real sure why this pole reminded me of that.
Bill

[ March 07, 2011, 08:27 PM: Message edited by: Zipper Bows ]

Steve Hohensee

Administrator
Member # 44

posted March 07, 2011 07:53 PM
Looks like the birthday boy +1 is old enough to have pegged the "# of year" thing, lol! I'm a bowhunting HOH so I maxed out on all questions.

Of course the pieces of real estate that folks back east call "states" we call "Boroughs" in Alaska and "Counties" in the western states.

bowhunter

PBS Member
Member # 164

posted March 07, 2011 08:04 PM
Being in the service has been a double edged sword: I've hunted a lot of states, but deployments really eat into your opportunity to plan for out of state hunts.

--------------------
Dan

John3

PBS Member
Member # 48

posted March 07, 2011 08:23 PM
I did this "poll" long ago before we had the poll function turned on and was surprised by the "experience"...

For those who have bowhunted 5 or more countries we for sure want to hear about them...!

--------------------
Maurice Thompson 1879

Steve Hohensee

Administrator
Member # 44

posted March 07, 2011 10:26 PM
Did I cheat by calling Puerto Rico a "country"? I said yes based on the fact that stop signs weren't in English and that was 12 years ago. I wonder what countries people have been to beyond US, Canada, RSA, Namibia, Oz, and maybe NZ? My other was Mongolia.

John3

PBS Member
Member # 48

posted March 07, 2011 10:58 PM
Steve, I would count Puerto Rico! What did you bowhunt in Mongolia? Marco Polo Sheep..?

--------------------
Maurice Thompson 1879

Dennis Scott
PBS Member
Member # 85

posted March 07, 2011 11:14 PM
It was interesting to see that I was in the same most popular poll choices as most of my peers. For the most part, I am a home body, but I would still like to get to a few more states before I hang my bows up.

Steve Hohensee

Administrator
Member # 44

posted March 07, 2011 11:22 PM
"Marco Polo Sheep..?"

Yeah right! An economy mountain hunt at an order of magnitude cheaper, ibex. Look at your magazines about 3 years ago.

P.J. Petiniot
PBS Member
Member # 24

posted March 07, 2011 11:36 PM
My bowhunting resume looks more impressive than it actually is;)

This was my 31st season as a bowhunter-First one I was only 15--

I got my first bow for my 9th birthday.

I have hunted in the U.S. and Canada--That's it---Too many kids and bills to go any farther for now--I really want to go to OZ and NZ to bowhunt--

6 States-and a couple provinces of Canada-Nothing to exotic--

I want to elk hunt soon--Moose too--the right opportunity comes along within the next couple years, I'm on it--

--------------------
The unspoken word is capital. We can invest it or we can squander it.
- Mark Twain's Notebook

John3

PBS Member
Member # 48

posted March 08, 2011 06:33 PM
My plan was to go to OZ this summer but my buddy from Melbourne called and told me about the terrible flooding there and asked if I would come in 2012. An OZ bow trip is a value everyday over going to SA which I will do when I get too old to hump the mountains. I just never did like sitting in a blind but will be happy to do so in South Africa...!

--------------------
Maurice Thompson 1879

Rob Burnham

PBS Member
Member # 399

posted March 08, 2011 08:35 PM
wow after my results at least 57% of the folks here have hunted for 30 + years..

P.J. Petiniot
PBS Member
Member # 24

posted March 08, 2011 10:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Rob Burnham:
wow after my results at least 57% of the folks here have hunted for 30 + years..

Rob, although that is an impressive statistic on the surface, it proves we are an organization that does not have much in the way of younger, or at least less experienced members.

We really do need to have those 0-10 year bowhunters in order to flourish and grow--If not, we will go the way of the dinosaur--

--------------------
- Mark Twain's Notebook

Zipper Bows
PBS Member
Member # 3359

posted March 09, 2011 09:12 AM
I dont know P.J?I'm not sure the PBS membership will ever be made up of the 0-10 year bowhunters.I dont think that is really a bad thing.I think it takes time,and maybe it takes more then 10 years of experience to finally figure out what it really means to be a hunter,and more spacifically a bow hunter.I know I'm not the same hunter I was 15 years ago,and even more so 25 years ago,when I first got started.
This all came from the about P.B.S. section of this site.In my mind this pretty much covers it.
"We feel personal satisfaction in our sport must be measured in direct relation to the degree of challenge involved. Satisfaction lies in the hunting more than the shooting"

For me that feeling was always there,but it took time to really realise it was the reason I was hunting.

"The term "Professional" in the name denotes professionalism in both attitude and skill, synonymous in the manner a professional pertains to a profession. If you feel this description fits you, we invite you to join us?"

These two statements were 2 big reasons I joined the P.B.S.
Bill

[ March 09, 2011, 09:41 AM: Message edited by: Zipper Bows ]

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: March 25th, 2011, 9:32 pm 
Site Admin

Membership Status: Life Member
P.J. Petiniot
PBS Member
Member # 24

posted March 09, 2011 10:37 AM
Bill,

This is true--BUT, If the PBS, or any other organization does not have a ready set of willing mentees being mentored by those with experience, we will be harmed by our own lack of vision--I have found that regardless of the original intentions of any group of humans--If we only surround ourselves with those that are the same age, the same background, the same mindset ect..--We tend to get tunnel vision. We start to think and live in a bubble-

I believe the thinking and living in a bubble is where the PBS is now-

There has been a movement to modernize our approach to the organization as a whole--The website enhancements are a huge first step--If you were to pole the general membership, I doubt many, other than those that frequent the site, even consider it a viable recruiting tool-This is that old school mentality of allowing the masses to discover us--When in fact, we, as an organization, need to seek out those that have an interest in our vision of Traditional Values--Bring them into the organization and allow them to grow, while being mentored and finding their way within the organization-

I am not saying we turn the place over to 18 year old bowhunters that have 2 or 3 seasons under their belt--I say we foster relationships with those that may become the future of the organization. We pass down the traits that make all of us good woodsmen, hunters, survivalist, and men--We let the other, less positive attributes of our hunting past slip away into the darkness-

New, younger blood always works in our favor if their energy and exuberance is harnessed for good---and not left up to the inexperience of youth-This is where the more experienced PBS member comes in--Take these people under your wing, mentor them-Not only will they learn much, so will you!

When I first joined the PBS it was 1994--I was 30 and had been bowhunting for 15 years, yet, I was a relative youngster within the eyes of many--I still had something to say, and thankfully, many listened.

The way we hunt, hike, camp, cook and relate to our friends and family is something that not many will turn their backs on, once exposed to it--We just need to do a much better job of exposing those outside the fold to our way of life--Human nature will take over after that!

[ March 09, 2011, 11:01 PM: Message edited by: P.J. Petiniot ]

--------------------
- Mark Twain's Notebook

Zipper Bows
PBS Member
Member # 3359

posted March 09, 2011 12:48 PM
Some very good points in that post.Unless I missed the over all message.Its recruitment through mentorship.I agree.
Bill

John3

PBS Member
Member # 48

posted March 12, 2011 07:37 PM
Interesting that 87% have been bowhunting longer than 20 years with the most 30 or longer... A bunch of experience in the PBS..!

--------------------
Maurice Thompson 1879

Ron Lang
PBS Member
Member # 52

posted March 12, 2011 08:25 PM
Questions were confusing. Is Texas a state or part of Mexico now?

John3

PBS Member
Member # 48

posted March 12, 2011 09:22 PM
I count TX as a state.. A BIG one! I could have walked into Mexico if I crossed the river bowhunting Javelina. About as close to adding another country for me as you can get. I will say that never in my life did I need to carry a "piece" for my own safety while bowhunting. Handguns were recommended and we all carried while bowhunting alone so close to the border in the desert. All I saw were a few border patrol jeeps way off on the mountain tops...

--------------------
Maurice Thompson 1879

Bryan Burkhardt
PBS Member
Member # 46

posted March 13, 2011 08:43 AM
Geez...based on the poll results, I'm an old fart with a decent amount of experience. I don't feel like an old fart but 35+ years tells a different story.

trapperDave
PBS Member
Member # 3474

posted March 13, 2011 10:14 AM
a little over 30 years a bowhunter. Life, wife and kids preclude me from hunting anywhere but local LOL

Sam Dunham
PBS Member
Member # 2897

posted March 25, 2011 03:04 AM
30+ Last 30 with Bow. Some early Compound use, then when I found out the one string was best for me, since 1995 exclusive.

Where has it lead me? To beautiful country and more joyous times. I used to hunt with others some, not much. Now exclusively solo unless someone volunteers as one generous guy did from Colorado to "Put me on em" which he did. He knows I will not bring more in the area he showed me.

--------------------
Only by grace, undeserved merit

Profile Send private message