Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: March 15th, 2011, 5:42 pm 
Site Admin

Membership Status: Life Member
P.J. Petiniot
PBS Member
Member # 24

posted January 15, 2011 12:22 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I for one have been a supporter of the Young Bowhunters Program.

I think it was a fantastic idea and a way to allow our kids to feel a part of this organization.

I think we need to work to grow this sub group within the PBS and we also need to allow our kids an avenue to gain ownership in the PBS.

Now, this may already be occurring within the YBP, but if it is, I am ignorant to the fact. I believe we should allow and encourage our teenage YBP members to become leaders within the YBP.

I believe we should have a program similar to the 4H Junior Leader program. We should encourage our youth to be leaders, we should mentor them and foster relationships between the youth and adult members. We should have YBP sponsored events at gatherings, shoots and banquets.

I think we should have an adult member that is the sponsor and representative for the YPB that helps bring forth any concerns of the youth members we have.

I even think that we should have a youth council of say 3 kids between 13 and 17 plus the adult sponsor.

I for one think we should have some sort of a YBP function at every major archery event in the nation. As a person that helps at a large traditional shoot, I can personally attest to the fact that we are always looking for good, quality programs to take up time and space as well as occupy some of the idle hands and minds.

We can develop some basic activities such as basic woodsmanship skills, archery safety skills, tracking, blood trailing ect.

We can develop age appropriate activities and see to it we have a presence at events across the country.

We can also develop a special membership package for events where kids can get a normal membership as well as a free T shirt that they can wear at the event. We can get shirts for next to nothing and I would buy 20 bucks worth of shirts without giving it much thought, as well as many of you would.

Just a few ideas I have been kicking around my head for a while. I welcome input as well as ideas to further build on what I proposed.

--------------------
The unspoken word is capital. We can invest it or we can squander it.
- Mark Twain's Notebook

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steve Hohensee

Administrator
Member # 44

posted January 15, 2011 12:49 PM
What ever it is, it needs to be "interactive"!

How about each magazine have some kind of project or activity write up for the kids to do with parental direction?

Ummm, off the top of my head example: "Make some aerial disk targets and flu-flu arrows and make "Dear old Dad" throw them until you get 2 or 3 consecutive hits or ten for the day".

Or, a section on shed hunting using maps to pour over likely areas to look and then follow up with a day in the field, at the right time of the year.

And on and on......

P.J. Petiniot
PBS Member
Member # 24

posted January 15, 2011 12:58 PM
That's what I'm talking about-

Yes, interactive activities are a must.

I like the idea of a YBP section both in the magazine and on our website.

--------------------
- Mark Twain's Notebook

Ted Kinney
PBS Member
Member # 34

posted January 15, 2011 01:26 PM
A few years back there was more content in the magazine relevant to the YBP. I thought it was great, but I believe there was some feedback that maybe there was too much. It seems to have reduced significantly since then. As a father of three, I'd certainly like to see a lot more YBP content in the magazine in the coming years.

P.J. Petiniot
PBS Member
Member # 24

posted January 15, 2011 01:35 PM
Well Ted, as another father of 3---I guess you and I need to make sure we get the content back--

Simple bit of advice for anybody that doesn't like any article in any magazine--don't like it, don't read it---

I am going to be taking my son out shed hunting next week. We will take pics and I will take notes--

We also have some arrow building and tab making projects ahead.

A deer skull cleaning and boiling is in order too--

--------------------
- Mark Twain's Notebook

Ted Kinney
PBS Member
Member # 34

posted January 15, 2011 02:44 PM
AWESOME, PJ, right 'em up and take lots of pics - either for here or the mag. I'll be reading them, I can tell you that much.

Larry Schwartz

PBS Member
Member # 93

posted January 15, 2011 03:08 PM
PJ,

I'm not familiar with the 4H program, but the BSA is another good model for what you are talking about doing. One of the key characteristics of the Boy Scouts is that the activities are BOY planned and BOY lead.

Also, think about having your son write the shed hunting article for the magazine.

Larry

Larry Schwartz

PBS Member
Member # 93

posted January 15, 2011 03:10 PM
I would certainly like to see stuff about the YBP as a regular section of the magazine. The PBS could allocate one page every issue for it and keep it as a standard section of the magazine.

Larry

Shad
PBS Member
Member # 154

posted January 15, 2011 07:11 PM
I like these ideas a lot!

--------------------
Shad

Robert "Boo Boo" Benson...my Gramps, my mentor, my best friend.
10-12-36 to 02-06-11

P.J. Petiniot
PBS Member
Member # 24

posted January 15, 2011 07:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Shad:
I like these ideas a lot!

That's cuz i'm won of them smart Hooziers:)

--------------------
- Mark Twain's Notebook

Mark Baker

PBS Member
Member # 28

posted January 16, 2011 12:47 AM
I know the merit badge idea was thrown up for regular members....but how about something for kids. How about activities and tests on-line that step-by-step helped to advance their learning and knowledge base in bowhunting.

Things like animal track Identification, or bear ID (MT FWP has a great on-line test) or similar stuff to the NBEF program....but better! Then positive reward (recognition in the magazine and/or website) to keep them active at it. Maybe some kind of "reward hunt" after benchmarks are met.

I dunno....just typing away here!

Ted Kinney
PBS Member
Member # 34

posted January 16, 2011 07:53 AM
GREAT IDEAS, Mark!

When I was a kid, I remember the state bowhunting organization at the time - maybe it was the PPBS (the PA prof bowhunters society - long since gone) used to give certificate to kids for bowkills. I remember I got a bunch for carp and groundhogs. They hung on my wall for a long time and I was quite proud of them. It was rewarding.

Reinforcing kids through recognition of bowhunting goal attainment is just flat out a good thing to do. Good idea, Mark.

Rob Burnham

PBS Member
Member # 399

posted January 16, 2011 08:08 PM
YBP made its debut at the San Antonio Banquet. After almost 7 years it's still going which I think says good things about the program. What will make this program go to the next level in my opinion is mentoring and involvement by the adults. Kids need guidance from their parents, so we as adults need to become involved in order for our kids to be involved.

I will be the first to admit that I don't always remember to involve my son. I get caught up in my own world when hunting season rolls around. I do take my son hunting and help him in the field, but I need to do a better job of helping him with the prep work and getting him fired up about getting in the woods.

I think we need to take it one step further than helping our own children. There are many kids out there that would benefit so much from having the opportunity to become involved in bowhunting and the YBP. It could be a niece or nephew or one of your child's friends. If you don't have kids of your own then maybe you have a friend that doesn't hunt or doesn't bowhunt that has a child that is very interested in bows & arrows. Take one of them under your wing and help them get involved.

Just as we ask each of our members to try and recruit one of our friends to become an associate member we can do them same with our youth. For a small price with great returns we can actually pay for a membership and sing up a new YBP member. my 2 cents!

P.J. Petiniot
PBS Member
Member # 24

posted January 16, 2011 08:50 PM
Rob,

What you suggested is pretty much most of what I had in mind--If a few dedicated adults set the tone and lead by example, the YBP should take off and grow naturally-

--------------------
- Mark Twain's Notebook

Larry Schwartz

PBS Member
Member # 93

posted January 17, 2011 11:43 PM
Articles about hunts we go in with our youth friends would be good topics for articles in the magazine.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: March 15th, 2011, 5:42 pm 
Site Admin

Kevin Bahr
Councilman-at-Large
Member # 4

posted January 18, 2011 03:41 AM
To all, there is room in the magazine for Youth related articles, always has been. The problem? Very few, if any submissions. Also, we got some negative push-back from some members not wanting to turn it into a coloring book, etc. In all honesty, without more input from the membership, the YBP's future is uncertain. Rob Burnham came up with the concept and introduced it at the S.A. banquet. We have a couple of members (Jarod Feiner and Blake Fischer) that have single handedly run the program since the early days, and they are both "high energy" guys, but as I said, not enough content for a magazine article each issue. Also, Council has not put any funding into the program for the simple fact that money is in short supply, and there are only a tiny handful of kids in the YBP. It would not be well received by the membership if we dedicated funds to a program with such a small amount of participation.
That being said, we would be willing to keep it going if all of you would help and I gather from this conversation that might be the case.

P.J. Petiniot
PBS Member
Member # 24

posted January 18, 2011 10:24 AM
Kevin,

I am sure that most of us understand that in our current membership and financial dilemma, spending thousands of dollars with the hope of getting a little return on investment is foolish.

I am suggesting that this project be taken on more of a grass roots course.

For example, as you know a very dedicated group of individuals raises money and builds bows for children at Cloverdale each and every year.

The bows are given away free of charge. We have a captive audience on this day and I would think it wouldn't take much more work to develop and implement a pilot program to promote the YBP.

We could easily have YBP merchandise on hand for when a kid gets signed up, he can leave with his patch, membership information and the newest magazine.

We take loads of pictures, we interview both adults and kids, write it out in article format and it goes in the magazine--story shows up in fall or winter addition and an electronic report shows up here within a week and boom, we have a much needed shot in the arm for the YBP as well as good PR for the PBS.

I can help with this idea--If its a flop, it didn't cost us anything--

--------------------
- Mark Twain's Notebook

Steve Hohensee

Administrator
Member # 44

posted January 18, 2011 11:45 AM
Maybe a low cost, separate mailed flier might be the way to go just to the YBP members?? I'm sure several of us could put together a "project" or "activity" for inclusion in the flyer. I, being just a BIG kid, have some ideas.

P.J. Petiniot
PBS Member
Member # 24

posted January 18, 2011 11:49 AM
Steve, I agree--We can even put together an electronic version to e-mail to the kid/parent team so they can enjoy activities together.

It's not rocket science like I said earlier--

I have decided I am signing up my nephew, he is the same age as Ian and got his first bow this year.

--------------------
- Mark Twain's Notebook

P.J. Petiniot
PBS Member
Member # 24

posted January 18, 2011 11:53 AM
Steve,

I will put together a little work sheet for building kids arrows out of 1/4" ramin dowels.
Kids love cresting their own arrows and the materials are cheap-couple jars of Testor model paint, nocks, points and feathers--

You can build a dozen nice kids arrows for about 10 bucks--

Youth tab, youth arm guard, same scenario--this gives kids ownership in their hobby--Gives mom and dad some quality project time too-

--------------------
- Mark Twain's Notebook

Larry Schwartz

PBS Member
Member # 93

posted January 18, 2011 12:00 PM
Well, we definitley don't need to have a YBP section be like a coloring book, although that may have been done a time or two.

I was thinking about having the YBP have a page each issue where one or more of the following was included:

- a project that the youth could do with his/her mentor/parent.
- an article about a hunt or hunting activity that a PBS youth did or took part in, like a deer or squirrel hunt, looking for sheds, building arrows or an arm guard.
- a book review, written by a youth, of a book that his/her fellow YBPers would like; maybe Fred Bear's Field Notes, the Nogglestone books sold by Three Rivers Archery.
- pictures of game taken by youth.
- basics of wildlife management and hunting techniques. we could harvest a lot of good stuff from the IBEP student notebook for this and from our IBEP instructor members.

The key here is to work up a backlog of articles, projects, etc. so that our YBP folks are not in a bind to get stuff done for each issue. Have some kids do three book reviews, have someone document some projects, have three of our sons/daughters write a story about a hunt they went on, and we have enough to hold us for a whole year. The secret is to keep getting new stuff so that your backlog doesn't empty out.

I received permission several years ago to run the bowhunting fantasy series that TBM ran about a young caveboy and his adventures in our state organizations magazine, it is a land before time kind of setting. If I can find the authors contact information I'm pretty sure he would allow PBS to run it as well. He wanted the story to get out to as many kids as possible.

These are all things that would appeal to the youth or that are done by the youth. Also, let's remember that we are talking 6 yo up to 16-18 yo so it doesn't have to be limited to elementaruy school level stuff.

Kevin Bahr
Councilman-at-Large
Member # 4

posted January 18, 2011 06:05 PM
If you guys could, please contact Jared Feiner and Blake Fischer about your ideas. They have been needing input and energy for YBP for awhile now and I'm sure would welcome your input. Thanks.

P.J. Petiniot
PBS Member
Member # 24

posted January 18, 2011 06:08 PM
No Problemo El Presidente'

--------------------
- Mark Twain's Notebook

P.J. Petiniot
PBS Member
Member # 24

posted February 25, 2011 03:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Baker:
I know the merit badge idea was thrown up for regular members....but how about something for kids. How about activities and tests on-line that step-by-step helped to advance their learning and knowledge base in bowhunting.

Things like animal track Identification, or bear ID (MT FWP has a great on-line test) or similar stuff to the NBEF program....but better! Then positive reward (recognition in the magazine and/or website) to keep them active at it. Maybe some kind of "reward hunt" after benchmarks are met.

I dunno....just typing away here!

Mark,

I don't know how these last few post slipped by me, but they did.

I really like your ideas.

I think a bowhunting/woodsmen skill set of merit badges would be a great way to really get our kids active--

I think a Junior Leader classification would be great for our older teenage YBP members where they help at banquets and other functions--Allow the JR Leaders to work with the council and other volunteers to put together some of the youth programs at our events--

I know my 6 year old son loves all of his "Hunting Bandges" as he calls them--His YBP, PBS, Compton, ATHA, IBA, IBEP and other patches I have given him hold a special place in his heart--

If he could have his mom sew his YBP patch on his hunting jacket and in turn be awarded chevrons to place below it that said Track identification, Blood trailing, compass reading, fire startingect.--He would be all over that-

I will volunteer my services to help with such a program if we deem it something we want to pursue.

--------------------
- Mark Twain's Notebook

Steve Hohensee

Administrator
Member # 44

posted February 26, 2011 12:39 PM
Peej: I would encourage you to discuss with Blake and Jarrod and jump in with both feet. Me being just a big kid, will have some ideas for you to consider. Drive the wagon man!

P.J. Petiniot
PBS Member
Member # 24

posted February 26, 2011 04:37 PM
I will within the next few days Steve--I am pretty busy with home and work until the middle of the week.

--------------------
- Mark Twain's Notebook

Jarrett B
PBS Member
Member # 3603

posted February 28, 2011 10:48 AM
Kevin, not to be too direct here, but the idea that we would tailor the content of the magazine to appease the voice of membership opposed to using the mag to promote youth recruitment and involvement is kind of bothersome. What single task is more integral to ensuring bowhunting is sustained? If we don't start getting more kids involved, nothing else we do for the sport while we're around is going to matter much, will it?

I'm a relatively young guy and have two young girls (2 and 5) and I'm always looking for interactive ways to engage them, especially my oldest who has taken a real interest in bowhunting and the outdoors.

I like a lot of the ideas that Mark, PJ, Larry and others have thrown out for consideration. I've not been in a position prior to really get involved beyond writing the occassional check but I've set a goal for myself this year to step up my direct involvement in the nfp organizations that I want to support. I will reach out for Jared and Blake to see how I can help.

--------------------
Jarrett Babincsak

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Kevin Bahr
Councilman-at-Large
Member # 4

posted March 01, 2011 03:32 AM
Thanks, Jarrett. That is exactly what is needed: member involvement. I'm sure Blake and Jared will be happy to have some input. I agree with you on the point you made that our youth are the most important area that we can invest our time and energy.

P.J. Petiniot
PBS Member
Member # 24

posted March 01, 2011 10:13 AM
I have no contact information for Jarrod and I haven't heard back from Blake on a few PM's here-

I'll dig around and get Blake's e-mail address--

Forward Jarrod's infor to me and I'll get right on that as well.

--------------------
- Mark Twain's Notebook

Steve Hohensee

Administrator
Member # 44

posted March 01, 2011 05:37 PM
Peej: You can track down Jerrod from my FB account. He has one but not sure how often he uses but I bet a PM is linked to his e-mail account.

PostPosted: March 15th, 2011, 5:43 pm 
Site Admin

P.J. Petiniot
PBS Member
Member # 24

posted March 01, 2011 06:58 PM
I found Jarrod's e-mail address buried in the abyss of my hard drive and I sent both him and Blake an email letting them know there has been some interest and activity concerning YBP lately and requesting them to come in and talk a while--

--------------------
- Mark Twain's Notebook

guy p
PBS Member
Member # 86

posted March 06, 2011 10:42 AM
Mentoring is not easy, to some it comes very natural...to others not so much. Some are in a position to have ready product to shape and others are not. Some of that is just geographic.

My son Riley is about to fly the coop. The other day he was ill and stayed home from school. He spent time cutting and hand grinding turkey feathers. Made an appointment to go visit with Cajun Archery about his out reach involvement with them. When I got home he talked to me about his opportunity to work in Texas as an Archery instructor at a Youth Camp and where that was at.
It dawned on me that all the effort which I often times thought fell on deaf ears had not. But I'm soon out of a regular hunting buddy.

Riley's shaping in the hunting circle has not come from just my effort, but a village full of folks. His Uncle, cousin and grandparents examples. Specific effort has come from PBS members. Larry Fischer and his constant "here is a lefty bow I'm not using". Greg Darling driving half way across the nation for a Idaho elk bowhunting adventure and then sacrificing two days so Riley could participate in the youth waterfowl opener. Craig Burris and his allowing Riley to help at the club youth league for the last two years. Craig's dragging him along bear hunting last spring grew Riley up a bunch. Richard Roskelly and Craig's hauling Riley along bunny hunting last winter while I recovered. The 2009 Youth Leadership hunt opportunity where I just held my breath and put him in charge of one of the out camps. Every person who he helped in that camp contributed to who he is and will become.

It will be some time before my own Grand kids hit the game chase age. But we are started with bows and fishing rods. So I thought I'd just take a nice vacation for me....then we met the new neighbors....He just turned 14. Has moved from Idaho where he just passed hunter safety and he is on the way to my turkey adventures and I have an empty seat....guess I'm just lucky.

My vision of smaller PBS youth leadership hunt outing at little if no cost via sponsorships and scattered around the country I believe have merit for maximum outreach to youth and as a recruiting tool for PBS. Water down the "how to" on the youth sight and give one a go if you can. I was working on a mini kind of camp for carp but there are just so many weekends so I've mini'd it even more and am working on rolling that in with the PBS odd year. I'll let you know how it goes.

Good luck,

Guy

--------------------
gp

Larry Schwartz

PBS Member
Member # 93

posted March 06, 2011 10:35 PM
Guy,

I definitely agree with the idea of holding several regional youth hunts. And they don't have to be a week long either. Since school dates seem to be part of the problem with getting kids to participate, and why they also seem to be during the August or September time frame, holding shorter hunts in multiple areas could be a way to get more kids involved.

The northeast, mid-atlantic, southeast, great lakes, midwest, southwest and northwest could the regions. Hunts could be done on a Thursday through Sunday and if it is during their school time they will have time to get caught up on the two days before they leave and could do a report for for one of their classes on the experience.

Since they would not have to travel as far, probably only one or two states away, to get toa regional youth hunt we could still get the same amount of face time with the kids by holding a small game hunt six months ahead of time to help get them organized, make sure they are doing what they need to do, etc. If one were done in Maryland we could do a small game hunt in March or bowfishing for stingray in June, then the sika deer hunt in October when they are in rut and doing the most bugling. This same approach would work in any of the regions. If the region included Texas or California then they could do hog hunts any time of the year.

I know that I would be interested in helping to set up a sika deer hunt here in MD if Council approves the idea of multiple smaller hunts. This could also be a way for PBS to strengthen its connections with the state level bowhunting organizations, especially those which are not solely traditional bowhunting organizations.

guy p
PBS Member
Member # 86

posted March 09, 2011 07:13 AM
Larry,

Exactly. I don't think it will be a hard sale to the council. Brian T is the liaison on council. We have a youth hunt committee organized at the Nashville gathering. The goal was to look for places to hold hunts. A work in progress, and we may be still suffering from what we know and that is "thinking too big".

Grab some help in your area, think cheese sandwiches and give it a go.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained...I Dean Perkins

--------------------
gp