It is currently November 23rd, 2017, 9:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: "I am the PBS"
PostPosted: March 15th, 2011, 5:12 pm 
Site Admin

Membership Status: Life Member
pronghorn23
PBS Member
Member # 151

posted January 27, 2011 09:56 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I read Steve's Candidate Profile in the latest issue and it reminded me of the ads and profiles I always liked to read and is probably why I originally joined. With that I think I'll start it up here and hope everyone joins in (some of us are just screen names to others). So...

"My name is Todd, I'm from Illinois, and I am the PBS!"

I've been an associate member for maybe ten years or so. I hunted with a compound then but shoot traditional now.

I attended Ojibwa odd year, Nashville last year and wil be at Ojibwa this year.

I hunt with a 55lb bamboo actionwood flatbow, home made cedar arrows and STOS broadheads.

I've bowhunted in Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, Michigan, Kansas, Colorado and South Dakota.

Future goals include black bear, alligator, mountain lion, hogs, elk and mule deer.

Pronghorn are one of the most beautiful animals and their habitat and environment are one of my favorite places. I've matched wits on two separate trips and was schooled each time.

I'm holding out now. I'm holding out until I can acquire the skills, knowledge and equipment to create my own bow and take one with my own home made bow and arrows. This is my ultimate goal for my favorite animal. And it will be an honor.

Yes, I am the PBS!

Next?????
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sam Dunham
PBS Member
Member # 2897

posted January 28, 2011 02:00 AM
I joined the PBS because I think I'm helping support a Society of Bow Hunters that are sincere about having a positive Image attached to the Public's perception of what we do.

This is of vital importance to the future of Bow Hunting. The proper Lobby is always reinforced by having a well directed and enforced set of guidelines to follow. The only the Goal can be reached is a clear understanding of the objectives. I think even though there are those who use different methods of taking Game, the objectives should be very close in definition. I think this is what sets us aside as Bow Hunters from other interests. Bow Hunting should be approached with the purest of intentions and focused more upon the reverence of the hunt and respect for the Animal. This can only be accomplished by an adherence to the Tradition of the Bow and it's proper implementation for the taking of Game under fair chase field conditions which always give the Animal the ultimate amount of respect it deserves. Conservation efforts are not just Biologic concerns, but the whole approach taken those who revere and respond to the habitat needs and structure of the total picture. I think this best accomplished by a "Society" of dedicated People that always do the right thing. That is why I'm here, and that is why I will continue to support the efforts and concerns of those that have a clear set of objectives which route specifically to an obtainable goal.

--------------------
Bow Hunting is what I do. A Bow Hunter is what I am!

Sam Dunham
PBS Member
Member # 2897

posted January 31, 2011 02:39 AM
In other words; I' sick of the "Slob Hunting" methods of guys running all the Elk deep on four wheelers and killing stuff the with the easiest methods attainable. Crossbows being integrated into Archery seasons by healthy people that could shoot a Bow, but are too lazy. They want the "easiest way" to go kill something so they can brag about it etc. I'm sick of the hooping and hollering, arm slinging and displays of disrespectful "Idiots" and their pursuit of Killing and horns. "Bone collector" and other "Horn hunting" so they can make videos that people actually want to watch is sickening. I have heard many people, even PBS members call Bow Hunting a "Sport". Well it should not be! It should be an adventure and "Way of life" instead of a "Money making" Venture that makes people more greedy! It is NOT about Compounds or One strings, it's about the Hunt, and how it is done! It should be kept simple!!!!!!!!!!! No more let-off super fast gadgets to make killing stuff at further distances easier! Bow Hunting is a Close up encounter! Not a 50 yard plus chance. More stuff, faster Bows, and making it easier is exactly what Archery does NOT need!

--------------------

Hogdancer
PBS Member
Member # 80

posted January 31, 2011 09:08 AM
good one Sam !
I have always thought that if bowhunting was a sport then we are athletes ..... Gene and Barry .. athletes? nope can't see it !

--------------------
"I am opposed to the theory of doing wrong that good may come of it. I hold to the belief that you must act right whatever the consequences." ~ Robert E. Lee

bowhunter

PBS Member
Member # 164

posted January 31, 2011 12:20 PM
I disagree.
1. Bowhunting is a sport. One of the most challenging and honorable of the "life long sports" (sports you can participate in all your life as opposed to say, football and roller derby) All sports have rules except hunting. That needs to change. We have a code of conduct generally well represented in hunter ed classes that has never been converted into rules. Golf, tennis, pingpong, bowling all have rules that restrict conduct and equipment. No reason not to have hunting rules that apply to all aspects of the sport, especially bow hunting, restricting among other things, what type of equipment that constitutes a bow. I agree that crossbows and high let off mechanical bows, especialy with release aids, are out of bounds.
2. IMO, anyone who practices in the sport of bowhunting, within the guidelines outlined by PBS can consider themselves an accomplished athlete. If the Wensels aren't athletes, then neither is Tiger Woods. Ya don't have to be built like Awnuld to be considered an athelete.

Dan

--------------------
Dan

bowhunter

PBS Member
Member # 164

posted January 31, 2011 02:27 PM
"My name is Dan Mathis. I live in Md and I am the PBS"

I worked my way through college and went on to a career as an aircraft maintenance manager for the US Navy, retiring in 2007 after 30 years. I voted in almost every national election and all but one PBS election despite being deployed to the four corners of the earth for many of them. With the help of a very capable life partner I put two kids through college and they are both viable American citizens who carry their own pack through life's hunting adventure.
I love to bow hunt.
I am moved by the arc of a hand made wooden arrow on it's flight to a target. Any target, but especailly the live ones. I like this sport because it is very difficult. I am not sure why it matters that anyone else understand how I feel about it.
I've been a member since the early 80s and a regular since 1989.
I like the two step membership process. I am confident becoming a bowhunter takes an apprenticeship approach. It's not something that can be learned from a DIY DVD. Bowhunting is supposed to be hard. It's the hard that makes it good.
I use basic equipment to hunt with.
I drag or pack all my big game animals at least as far as the nearest four legged transportation.
I pack all my tree stands into my huning sites and pack them all back out at season's end.
All of my scouting and field work is done completely on boot leather.
I don't condem anyone who chooses an easier way to do these things, but my respect goes to those who do.

My name is Dan Mathis and I too am the PBS.

--------------------
Dan

John3

PBS Member
Member # 48

posted January 31, 2011 03:49 PM
I started my first year in college and have spent my entire adult lifetime with a bow in my hands. I realized early that this bowhunting thing meant more to me than my buddies who most of them don't even hunt by any method 25 years later. I worked at being good and even worked a second job the past decade to make my bowhunting trips possible.
The smell of Oak leaves in the fall. The sound the river makes when set up near it,, ect. ect..
Getting eyelash close to a Pronghorn of a lifetime and never getting a broadside ethical shot and NOT being the least bit disappointed... Taking a young guy on his first out of state bowhunt and trying to lead by example. Bowhunting has been good to me and I needed to give something back. That's why I am the PBS... My bowhunting has been mostly a solitary journey and I wasted a whole lot of years not knowing what the PBS was all about. Thanks to Biggie who overnighted me a copy of the magazine all because I emailed him asking a couple PBS questions. Without him I may not have ever joined.

John Sanderlin III
Missouri

--------------------
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Rob Burnham

PBS Member
Member # 399

posted January 31, 2011 06:36 PM
Started bowhunting in 1978. I was 17 years old and my first hunting bow was a Bear Whitetail hunter. I shot 2117 Game Getters with Satellite Broadheads. There were a couple of much older fellows that pointed me in the right direction but for the most part I learned the hard way, trial and error. That first hunting season with a bow I did kill a nice 8pt buck. I was hooked for good! the next 20 years I hunted with the compound and learned as much about bow tuning and shooting as well as woodsmanship as possible. I guess I figured out some important things a long the way which helped me in being successful in taking deer with my bow.

After running the gamut of bows with each successive bow getting more high tech I starting to loose my passion for bowhunting and that's when I ran into some PBS bowhunters. They pointed me in a new direction and I started shooting a traditional bow. That was in 1999 and I have not looked back. Bowhunting has come full circle for me and personally it's not about the animals taken, but about the journey and the people that I have shared it with.

Sure the goal every time I walk into the woods is to harvest an animal, but that has become more of the icing on the cake if you will. I don't measure a successful hunt by the animals I kill but rather the quality of the time spent in the field and in camp doing what I love to do and that's hunting with the bow and arrow.

I have hunted in Colorado, Utah, Texas, Illinois, Virginia, Alberta, New Brunswick, Ontario and Africa. I wouldn't say I am a trophy hunter, but I don't shoot the small bucks anymore. I get just as much pleasure out of killing a nice doe. I think most bowhunters would love to take a huge buck, but I have come to love just sitting in the woods and I find myself shooting with my camera more often than I do with my bow these days.

Over the past few years I have gained as much pleasure out of teaching my youngest son and a few of his friends how to shoot bows and bowhunt. Our children are the future of PBS and if we don't as whole find a way to encourage the younger generations to get involved and teach them the right way to do things I feel we are doing a great disservice to our passion and to PBS.

There are many ways to get involved and be a part of something that is bigger than any of us as individuals. I learned early thanks to some good mentoring that to get something out of anything you have to put more effort into it. To sit back and wait for something to happen is just wasting time because nothing will ever happen. The more involved we become the more satisfaction we will have and the more we will feel as though we are a part.

Those guys you see on tv hunting with the high tech stuff will most likely come around some day and if they don't they probably wont still be bowhunting 10 years from now. The bowhunting celebs come and go like clock work. To each is own, hopefully these celebs will get the opportunity to spend some time in a real bowhunting camp with PBS bowhunters and they then understand that bowhunting is a lot more than antlers and horns and taking tons of game. That the journey is what creates the memories and the folks that you share those memories with are what really counts. Putting big heads on the wall is nice, but it needs not be the only reason for spending time with nature.

I'll be 50 this coming fall. Bowhunting has been a big part of my life for the past 32 and I hope to be involved in bowhunting in some form or fashion for another 30 or more. I still have a lot of animals I would love to match wits with and a lot of camp fires that I hope to spend with my like minded brothers from PBS......

>>~~Rob~~>

Owlgrowler
PBS Member
Member # 1472

posted January 31, 2011 08:49 PM
I am the proud owner of 2 issues of The Professional Bowhunter Magazine and on the bottom of each front cover it states, UNITED WE ACT FOR THE PRESERVATION OF BOWHUNTING THE GREATEST OF SPORTS

I read an article years ago that explained the meaning of "sports". And basically what it said was that hunting is the only true sport, because hardly any of us sustenance hunt. And that todays
"sports"; football, baseball, basketball, etc were actually better defined as "games". Works for me.

Sam Dunham
PBS Member
Member # 2897

posted February 01, 2011 05:15 AM
One of the problems you will encounter by calling Bow Hunting a "Sport" is by it's very nature of killing Animals. I do not call it a Sport because I am the one involved, not any other spectators measuring my success by a gain or loss in the process. It is not a Competition either! If it were, it would be necessary to have opposition to measure against. When people are lead to believe Bow Hunting, or Hunting in general is a Sport, then the true definition becomes a "Blood Sport". It is not a Blood sport! It is about my Joy of the hunt and preservation of the Eco system and it's bounty of wildlife. It is about an adventure to fulfill my Human need to accomplish the "Making of meat" with a Bow and arrow! It is Much deeper than any other sport or meaning attached to it. It is about the "purist" desire to use Archery equipment in the fairest manner to achieve "Ones Path" in life and the woods/wildernesses where ever a Person enters it with the best intentions that do not have a competitive outcome. Bow Hunting is NOT a Sport to me, it is the total experience and fulfillment only the Ancients understood, to sit next to the campfire and roast fresh meat they had just killed!

--------------------

Steve Hohensee

Administrator
Member # 44

posted February 01, 2011 06:46 AM
Call it what you want, its just semantics, and that doesn't take away or add anything to the experience. when done right.

[ February 01, 2011, 07:24 AM: Message edited by: Steve Hohensee ]

bowhunter

PBS Member
Member # 164

posted February 01, 2011 08:26 AM
It's a sport that involves killing things. When I go hunting I have a great time, but if we don't kill anything there is a key part of the experience that was missed. Otherwise it's just a camping trip/nature hike. The pinnacle of bowhunting is the taking of game. And....I really don't care what anybody thinks about my enjoying killing things. I used to teach IBEP and I never identified with the "harvest" animals deal. We kill 'em and eat 'em and it gives me and my entire family a sense of pride and fullfilment that we do. Anybody who holds issue with that can pack it on back to 'Frisco and pick flowers.

My name is Dan Mathis and I am the PBS!

--------------------
Dan

Larry Schwartz

PBS Member
Member # 93

posted February 01, 2011 11:22 AM
Dan,

Ah, someone else who liked "The American President"! that was a great speech wasn't it.

Larry

Sam Dunham
PBS Member
Member # 2897

posted February 01, 2011 11:23 AM
"Call it what you want, its just semantics, and that doesn't take away or add anything to the experience. when done right."

I would suppose this could include many different methods

Call it what you want, its just semantics, and that doesn't take away or add anything to the experience. when done right.

Anybody who holds issue with that can pack it on back to 'Frisco and pick flowers.

OK Gentlemen. I'm just a Bow Hunter! Not into any Sports at all. I can see the PBS is a Sports oriented Fraternity that I do not need to be a participant of. I do wish you all Blessings and continued happiness in your Sport! I'll take my leave and log out.

--------------------

Plumbob
PBS Member
Member # 180

posted February 01, 2011 01:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bowhunter:
Anybody who holds issue with that can pack it on back to 'Frisco and pick flowers.

My name is Dan Mathis and I am the PBS!

I didn't think Sam took issue with it..........just a differerance in experience

Larry Schwartz

PBS Member
Member # 93

posted February 01, 2011 03:32 PM
Plumbob,

Actually, I took it like he was leaving PBS. I sent him an email and asked him to let me call him this evening.

We just need to get past the fact that the word "sport" has a very broad meaning.

He and everyone else on this thread are on the same page except for how we use the word sport.

Larry

Steve Hohensee

Administrator
Member # 44

posted February 01, 2011 03:39 PM
I sent him an e-mail too suggesting that any arguement was a matter of one person saying "six" and the other a "half dozen" and that those two probably had LOTS of common ground, more so than not.

[ February 01, 2011, 05:02 PM: Message edited by: Steve Hohensee ]

Plumbob
PBS Member
Member # 180

posted February 01, 2011 04:07 PM
Thats what I would say Larry............

bowhunter

PBS Member
Member # 164

posted February 01, 2011 08:52 PM
Sorry Sam. I didn't mean to be uncivil about it and the last comment was not aimed at you. This is a good thread too, so I'll get back in my cage.

--------------------
Dan

Rob Burnham

PBS Member
Member # 399

posted February 02, 2011 11:59 AM
this is an opinion only but to me the word sport means many different things and everyone has their own take on that meaning. is rock climbing, wind surfing, running or any individual activity a sport? does it only become a sport when we compete against someone else? If i go riding my mountain bike by myself and hit the trail without anyone else around am I involved in the sport of mountain biking or am I just exercising?

My take on the word sport as it deals with bowhunting falls within the same guide lines. It becomes a sport when one feels the need to compete against others and is driven to win... to kill the biggest or the most. when the personal satisfaction is set aside and the ego gets involved and the true meaning and reason for setting foot in the field is lost.

In my own personal bowhunting I only compete against myself to be a better bowhunter, woodsman, conservationist and mentor. So in a sense I am competing, but I am competing with myself to be the best I can. Since I am competing with myself feel free to say it's a sport, but to me it's a part of who I am and I will never be ashamed of being a bowhunter.

John Vargo
PBS Member
Member # 25

posted February 02, 2011 12:08 PM
In my opinion, discussion over whether bowhunting should be considered a sport or not just shows some people have too much idle time on their hands and are too concerned with what others think. I'm not criticizing those who have expressed their opinion on this topic...I just think it is a waste of time.

John3

PBS Member
Member # 48

posted February 02, 2011 12:18 PM
"semantics" get in the way... We all LOVE bowhunting and strive to be the best we can be. Even better we SHARE what we know..! Brothers of the bow for sure.. That is the tie that binds us in fellowship.

We all should make the personal commitment to make PBS the best it can possibly be. I have and want every other member to do the same! New Council are you listening? Proact and get the membership fired up and involved then watch what "we" can do together...!

--------------------
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Sam Dunham
PBS Member
Member # 2897

posted February 02, 2011 07:25 PM
My take on the word sport as it deals with bowhunting falls within the same guide lines. It becomes a sport when one feels the need to compete against others and is driven to win... to kill the biggest or the most. when the personal satisfaction is set aside and the ego gets involved and the true meaning and reason for setting foot in the field is lost.

In my own personal bowhunting I only compete against myself to be a better bowhunter, woodsman, conservationist and mentor. So in a sense I am competing, but I am competing with myself to be the best I can. Since I am competing with myself feel free to say it's a sport, but to me it's a part of who I am and I will never be ashamed of being a bowhunter.

THIS, is encouraging! This view does not "Dead End" the rest of us who "do it this way" and brought me back here to reply! THIS Man is an "Open Minded" positive representative of the PBS! NOT because I think he sides with my view, which he seems to understand. The "DEAD ENDERS" or the seemingly as communicated by those of us who are very perceptive, simply imply that; "We have too much time on our hands" or present the general conception that if, we do not like it, take a hike! THAT will run off more than it will fetch and make the PBS an "OLD MANS Club" that will eventually die out for lack of members. The correlation and the perception that the Non-hunting public have of the Bow Hunter and his taking of Animals by, "killing them" is of value to the preservation of the Bowhunting future!!!!!! Their view is enforced by the very nature of the Bow being a "Fair chase" means to kill Animals. Simply taking the "Bowed up" stance and defending the Dead end view is NOT the answer. LIKE IT OR NOT, we Bow hunters have the urban and non hunting public to react either in a positive way, or negative when they enter the voting booth to determine their single vote. I personally do NOT think that perception will be enforced in a Positive way by their definition of Bow Hunting being a "BLOODSPORT" because it is not that, but way beyond into the "Sacred and respectful" Realm of our approach to the Hunt and how it is done. To the above Author of the previous post, Thank you Sir! I would have you represent me in the future of the Bow Hunting heritage and Traditions that should be "Preserved" rather than Sporterized!!!!!!! The PBS stands for Professional Bow hunters SOCIETY! That is the intent by a grammatical understanding, and a positive by nature of the word. It is not the Professional Bow hunters Sporting Society!

THIS; Is my Goal also, and should be an encouraging mission statement for us all!

Ron Burnam said;

"In my own personal bowhunting I only compete against myself to be a better bowhunter, woodsman, conservationist and mentor."

[ February 02, 2011, 07:48 PM: Message edited by: Sam Dunham ]

--------------------

Hogdancer
PBS Member
Member # 80

posted February 02, 2011 10:42 PM
some of y'all are way more eloquent than I'll ever be!
I don't care for the word sport being applied to my hunting but I don't hold it against others if that's what it is to them.
Guys get awful uppity in there opinions when behind a keyboard and it's cold outside, I am sure if we were all around a campfire everyone would differant, so I don't take it personally 'mostly' when someone says it's a waste of time to say what's on my mind.

--------------------
"I am opposed to the theory of doing wrong that good may come of it. I hold to the belief that you must act right whatever the consequences." ~ Robert E. Lee

Sam Dunham
PBS Member
Member # 2897

posted February 03, 2011 12:37 AM
Hey Hogdancer, too cold to go Hog hunting? I would like to go myself! I'm the same all the time, always wanting to go Bow Hunting. It has been the first and last thing I think about just about every day for 30 years. I hope this desire never goes away!I have been to the Texas "Shoot out" 4 or 5 times when it was on the Calaghan years ago. Had a ball with the Javelina and cotton tails there. Even ate a piece of Rattlesnake.

--------------------

Kevin Dill

PBS Member
Member # 127

posted February 03, 2011 06:04 AM
What happens in the woods, stays in the woods.

I often apply that same thought to my mind. Some things are better left unspoken.

Hogdancer
PBS Member
Member # 80

posted February 03, 2011 09:05 AM
hey y'all, this started out as "I am the PBS" and seems to have gotten side-tracked, I think that may have been my fault. How about we get back to the "I am the PBS" statements and I , since I got us off track, will start a new thread, since there seems to be some good thoughts on both subjects.

--------------------

Dave Watson

PBS Member
Member # 243

posted February 04, 2011 07:13 AM
Hey, I am Dave, and I am the PBS!

--------------------
Hunt them close, hunt them fair

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: "I am the PBS"
PostPosted: March 27th, 2011, 7:06 pm 

Membership Status: Life Member
I agree with Dave...he IS the PBS!

I disagree with Dan...what I do as far as living and breathing bowhunting is NOT a sport by any stretch of the imagination.

Post subject: Re: "I am the PBS"
PostPosted: March 27th, 2011, 8:42 pm 

I have to go with Biggie on this one. What I do is not a sport. For me it is not even a "life style". It is who I am. It is how I define myself to myself. Do those around me "get it"? Some do, some don't. The only one who absolutely must "get it" is me...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]