It is currently October 18th, 2017, 5:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Turkey Hunting
PostPosted: April 17th, 2015, 8:20 pm 

Membership Status: Associate Member
Has anybody taken a turkey this spring, or been out hunting? Our season in Ohio opens on Monday and I have to work, so I won't be able to go until Sat. Been hearing lots of gobbles in the morning before I leave, mostly on neighboring properties, however I have seen enough turkeys out in our fields to get me excited. I am on a 3 year dry spell (mostly because I have been passing shots on jakes, a strategy I am rethinking for this year) and I would like to see pics or hear stories about guys matching wits with spring turkeys.

So, does anyone have any turkey hunting stories or success pics they would like to share?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Turkey Hunting
PostPosted: April 17th, 2015, 9:34 pm 

Membership Status: Regular Member
Here's my story Zach, hunting a turkey is like hunting a paranoid crack-head!! They do nothing that makes sense, and are the most frustrating critter I know of to hunt. I'm very thankful for my one and only bow killed turkey, but I have a love/hate relationship with them! :lol:

That being said I've had fun, as usual, but haven't loosed an arrow as of yet. But, tomorrow's another day!

PostPosted: April 18th, 2015, 3:42 pm 

Started in Nebraska and got bogged down with other obligations. This morning even though colder and it rained on my son and myself the whole time we were in...this Eastern came too close!

Attachments:
File comment: Eastern 2015 SD
DSC03741PBS.jpg
DSC03741PBS.jpg [ 132.1 KiB | Viewed 4002 times ]

PostPosted: April 20th, 2015, 6:54 am 

Nice bird Steve! Did you use a blind? All of my birds have been taken from a blind but I'm going to try and go without this year, but they are nice to have in the rain!

Ethan I have to agree with everything you said, 90% of the time turkeys leave me walking out of the woods scratching my head. I have read and reread Joey Buchanan's KTE post on turkey hunting and I plan on adding movement to my decoys and changing how I set up.

Today is opening day and I'm behind a desk... there was one lonely sounding gobbler hammering away when I let the dogs out this morning. Come on Saturday!

PostPosted: April 20th, 2015, 6:24 pm 

I'm glad to see this thread. I have hunted turkeys with a bow in the past, and they are (or can be) very difficult to down and recover. I heard so many stories of hit-and-lost birds that it really bothered me...enough that I quit hunting them. I felt that I had too great of a chance of wounding and losing them...meaning the recovery-after-hit percentages were just too low (in my mind) for me to justify it. If I can't reasonably expect to recover a serious majority of the game I shoot, I won't be hunting it in all likelihood. So I put turkeys on the shelf and ignored them.

This year I'm going after them with the bow again. I've scouted them here and created a number of brush hides from which to hunt. I've got a couple good decoys (DSD) and I'm limiting myself to shots of under 10 yards. I have every intention of killing a bird, but will have no problem passing a close shot if the feeling isn't right. This afternoon I watched 2 mature gobblers walk right past a blind and then head in front of another blind a field away. I'm hoping for time and opportunity to hunt some this week. If I hit and lose one...well...let's hope I don't!

PostPosted: April 20th, 2015, 7:53 pm 

I did use a blind and prefer to use Double Bull blinds. I hunted for years without them and when I preparing to hunt with my kids, built permanent style blinds that they could shoot from. The blinds allowed for some momement that seemed immenent. I use blind material when "prospecting" for gobblers, which allows for a quick additional blind.

The gobbler in this picture is a public land Eastern. I hunt almost all public land and occasionaly private land holdings which have gotten harder to access than it was when my sons were much younger.

The blind allowed for me to use different calls than the traditional mouth call. The gobbler was preceeded by two jakes who hung up at around 100 yards and began to strut and occasionally gobble when I yelped to them. They finally broke their position and slowly came in and as luck would have it they were followed by a hen. The jakes eventually came right into the decoys. The hen eventually worked closer, but stayed further away. The old tom hesitated several yards out, but being in the blind, I threw caution to the wind and aggressivly called to the hen and brought her in further and the old gobble could not stand it anymore and came charging in. Right into the decoys and began thumping and pecking at the Jake decoy. All the time the two real jakes stayed close, but out of harms way.

Works for me...a short while later the old tom was down for good.

Check out this link to an older article that I wrote for Bowhunter and featured my two sons.

http://www.bowhunter.com/feature_articl ... iesprings/

PostPosted: April 20th, 2015, 8:27 pm 

I had my season here in Wisconsin this past weekend and it was one of the best turkey hunting experiences I have ever had. Last year I saw one bird and heard only three gobbles so I wasn't expecting much. It was quite windy this weekend but the turkeys were gobbling steady which is unheard of where I hunt. Sat I saw two toms and somehow messed up at a 25 for shot. I only pulled a couple feathers off on the going a way shot. After a short scamper he strutted out of my life.
Sunday had two close encounters right away. Then a couple hours later a tom was heading my way and while watching him try to skirt me two jakes came past the shooting window at 15 ft. Fortunatly they circled the blind, the tom split and I got a 25 ft shot at the closer one. After the hit the turkey had trouble running so he took to the air and landed on the other end of the field 300 yds distant and went into the marsh. Five minutes later his buddy went in the marsh after him. I found them both over an hour later with the buddy on top doing unspeakable acts to his dead buddy.

PostPosted: April 20th, 2015, 10:30 pm 

I finally shot my first Spring Turkey. Saw 4 Jakes out in the field and called with a mouth call but it was real windy and they never even looked my way. Then hit the box call and they came running. I had two hen decoys out with a strutting tom then off to the side about 10 yards I had a Jake decoy.

The 3 smaller jakes were kicking the Jake decoy all around. The biggest Jake must of thought he was the King because he started pecking the head of the gobbler decoy.

10 yard shot and he only went 20 yards. I had ran the other 3 Jakes off as I exited the blind. They were still attacking the Jake decoy.

Attachments:
Elmer Turkey.jpg
Elmer Turkey.jpg [ 235.45 KiB | Viewed 3880 times ]

PostPosted: April 21st, 2015, 7:59 am 
Site Admin

Well done guys! I wish I could add a photo with me holding my first archery turkey; I had several chances yesterday but couldn't get a shot. I only had one day to hunt and found some birds on some new public land that I am hunting by boat. I scouted it on Sunday and saw a few turkeys but many more hunters out scouting. I even had several gobblers roosting several hundred yards from my campsite, but there was a hunter on them, owl hooting, an hour before daylight. I went across the lake to a secluded cove and set up on some gobblers, mostly hoping to avoid other hunters. It took until 8:45 but I had two longbeards and four jakes following a hen up the ridge I was on. They hung up at 50 yards and after many dozens of gobbles and some impressive strutting and displaying.......they turned and walked away! Although disappointed in the outcome, I was glad that all that gobbling had not attracted any hunters. Another gobbler fired up on a nearby ridge so I circled and got ahead of him, setting up on the finger ridge. He too was very vocal, tickling my ears with dozens of booming gobbles as he approached. I did not have a blind and has mistakenly brought my arrows with yellow fletching instead of camo fletching. When the hen fed by me at 20 yards, I covered the fletching with my gloved hand and she never saw me. When the gobbler passed behind a tree at 30 yards following her, I raised my bow and prepared for the shot, but he stopped when he reappeared and gave me and that darn yellow fletching the stink-eye for almost 2 minutes (I counted the seconds), before carefully circling around me. So close!!!!! Unfortunately, that may have been my one and only shot at those Buckeye gobblers... :(

Romans 10:15 “.......How beautiful are the feet of those that bring the Good News of Jesus...”

Last edited by Jeff Holchin on April 21st, 2015, 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: April 21st, 2015, 8:33 am 

Elmer and Greg congratulations! Very nice shooting and great story telling. Turkeys do not come easily with a bow and you guys did well. This morning dawned colder and windy so I didn't hear any gobbling before work, but I watched a hen and jake last night thru binoculars work across a field. I think jakes are back on the menu this year...

Steve thanks for sharing so much information and for posting the link to your article. I can't access it at work but I will read it later. You obviously have lots of experience hunting these big birds. I have one more question for you... where do you like to aim for on a strutting gobbler? I have seen information on this before, but I would like to hear your opinion. I have missed every strutting gobbler I've shot at - and killed every turkey that wasn't strutting.

Kevin good luck! I hope you can get a nice 5 yard shot on an unsuspecting tom... and then post it up here with a good story to go with it.

Jeff it sounds like you had a great hunt with lots of action, and I enjoyed reading your post. There is always next time. That spot sounds like a good one with lots of birds and a way to get away from the crowds. Too bad you only had one day...

Thanks for giving a turkey junkie his fix guys... I'm waiting on Joey Buchanan to chime in, I'm following his old KTE post step by step this year, and I learned how to kee kee run on a mouth call from his youtube video. I guess he's kind of my role model... Those guys down south know their turkeys!

PostPosted: April 21st, 2015, 9:27 am 

Membership Status: Life Member
Steve, Elmer and Greg, congrats on your turkey successes! Elmer, that looks like Paul's top field? We all appreciate the stories. With youth travel baseball practices and games starting this weekend, I haven't been able to make it out, but hope to very soon.

"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his power." -Ephesians 6:10
"Be Bold and mighty forces will come to your aid." - Goethe
"A lot of the physical is mental" - IronMind

PostPosted: April 21st, 2015, 2:09 pm 

Congrats to all !
Turkey with a bow is an ultimate achievement and without a blind is just plain awesome.

PostPosted: April 21st, 2015, 9:47 pm 

I used to always shoot for the butt of the wing remembering the very top/front stays in place. i killed a lot of turkeys with that mindset. But then, I rolled a bird right off of its feet and got to it in time to "try" and step on its neck or head and not get skewered myself by my arrow. In short order he recovered and took off on a sprint. Thank goodness for the prairie as I watched him roll head over heels about 50 yards further. i am not sure in timber or hills I would have found that bird.

So...I now aim for the spot just in front and high on the bird of that butt of the wing and if in the decoys wait until the arrow will angle forward. This year's bird I hit further back, busting the wing, but the arrow was angled to go forward and he never picked up his head after being shot.

My youngest son put an arrow/Wensel 3 blade, right through a bird high in front of the wing and it acted like it had never been hit. Literally 3 steps later it fell over dead, just like I have had deer do occasionally.

I have limited my shots to under 20 and I set decoys up at 10 yards and plan on taking that shot...at 10 yards. I like to think I am pretty good shot, but I am a darn good one at 10 yards. Getting them in close is a hoot, I can't imagine not enjoying the experience enough not to make that happen. Definately easier in a blind...as I can't tell you how many times I have been pinned down or made by a gobbler before I get that shot.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2015, 7:01 am 

All great information Steve thanks a bunch for answering my questions. I was able to read your article last night and I was impressed, I really enjoyed the stories and the tips on setting up and what calls you use and why. I bet you are very proud of your sons - they sound like excellent bowhunters!

Cold and rainy and windy this morning... but there were 2 turkeys out in the field. Didn't have time to identify them before I left but I know where I want to hunt Sat. morning.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2015, 6:56 pm 

Best of luck

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2015, 10:36 pm 

Went to the Archery Range to do a few things at 2:00 PM today for upcoming 3D shoot. Saw something Black moving around one of the bag targets. I ended up watching this guy strut in front and behind the bear target for about 15 minutes. This was a close photo from my cell phone.
Attachment:
turkey.jpg
turkey.jpg [ 99.15 KiB | Viewed 3739 times ]

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2015, 12:07 pm 
Site Admin

Elmer, he was begging for an arrow! Either that, or he was taunting you?

Romans 10:15 “.......How beautiful are the feet of those that bring the Good News of Jesus...”

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2015, 12:10 pm 

That turkey is hiding from Kevin Bahr.

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2015, 3:23 pm 

Greg -Kevin tagged out but I will let him tell you all about it. Jeff - Turkey was taunting me it was on City Park District NO Hunting. He sure put on a show though. We set up our 3D targets today for this weekend. I thought about placing Game Cameras around all the turkey targets we put out. Could of been some interesting photos.

PostPosted: April 24th, 2015, 6:56 pm 

I "kilt" (Fulton County, Illinois lingo) a nice gobbler yesterday morning. I finally retired from my job on March 16 so this year I gave much more effort than I had in the past. Normally I would only hunt the weekend of whatever week long season segment I happened to draw. My season segment this year was the 6-day, 2nd season in the northern zone of Illinois and I hunted 5 of those days. I was hunting on my hunting partner, Mark Wang's farm in Fulton County. He has 80 acres so we don't go chasing turkeys around as it doesn't take long to educate them enough to vacate the premises. Back to the hunt: the first day, last Saturday was beautiful and pleasant, sunny, warm, no wind. I heard turkeys gobbling for a few hours but never saw even a feather. Sunday morning was just as nice, and the birds were gobbling very well all morning. I saw 20 turkeys, had a hen at less than 10 yards, and passed on an iffy shot at a jake at what I later walked off to be 17 yards. For me, hunting from a blind gives me "tunnel vision" and things look farther than they really are. Very fun morning to hunt. Mark also had several birds around him off and on and had two hens fly and land in his decoy spread. Monday, it had rained off and on all night and I debated even making the hour plus drive at 4 A.M. But, since I didn't have to work :D I got up and got going. It rained a bit on the drive and became very windy. I only heard a few gobbles and had a hard time telling where they even came from due to the constant swirling wind. Suddenly, 4 jakes appeared and as soon as they got within 40 yards, they took one look at the blind and decoys and headed for greener, and safer surroundings. Although usually turkeys are pretty safe around me...
Tuesday, I was unable to go due to a couple of other commitments. Wednesday was more of the same, windy and very chilly for this time of year here. Global warming was not apparent that morning. I heard very few birds and saw none. Thursday, yesterday was the last day of my season so I got to the blind a little earlier, just in case the birds had come back. It was really chilly that morning, but not much wind. I heard some decent gobbling early and called just a little to let them know the hens (decoys) were ready to party. The gobbles started to fade in volume and frequency and then nothing. I just figured, oh well, at least I'm hunting and not working. All of a sudden I heard one gobble that sounded closer than any of the earlier ones. I called with my box call and it answered right away. I called again and it didn't answer so I figured I'd better knock off my calling, which is mediocre at best. I caught some movement out the window of the blind and it was a hen turkey sailing through the woods. She flew within 10 yards of my blind and just kept going until she gained the ridge to my west. Then I heard a loud gobble. I figured the Tom must have been harassing the hen that just flew by me. Shortly thereafter, a turkey appeared near where I had moved my blind from a couple days earlier, about 40 yards away. I grabbed my binoculars so I could make sure it had a beard (only bearded birds are legal game here in the spring) and when I turned around to look, it was gone. I figured, "There went my chance." Then I saw the head of the turkey over the lip of the creek bank it had crossed to get over to my side. As I sat there, it popped up on my side again so I grabbed my longbow and nocked an arrow. Another hen. Oh well, still fun to watch I thought. I watched her walk within 10 yards of me on a steady gait. She looked toward my position and decoys but just kept walking. I watched her go clear out of sight in the creek bottom brush and when I turned to look back where she had come from, there he was, a gobbler in full strut. That was exciting! I didn't even make a sound but got ready to shoot. He walked quickly on the same route the hen had taken and as I got my bow up I just made one small cluck, whereupon he stopped and started to expand his feathers again. That's when the broadhead hit him in the sweet spot. He jumped up and flew about 60 yards in the air and died on the wing, crumpling up and falling like a duck or goose would. He was 75 yards away and stone dead. Needless to say I was excited, still am! He is my second one with a bow but the first one was with a recurve. I don't know how to get a photo to this page from my cell phone so you'll just have to imagine it. He weighed 20 lbs, had 1 1/8" spurs and an 8 1/2 " beard.

PostPosted: April 25th, 2015, 5:33 am 

Outstanding Kev! Great way to kick off your retirement.

PostPosted: April 25th, 2015, 7:13 am 

WAY TO GO KB!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: April 25th, 2015, 8:38 am 

Congrats Kevin, and welcome to the ranks of the retired(LOL). But you mentioned both a longbow and a recurve in your story. So which bow did you take the bird with?

Tony

PostPosted: April 25th, 2015, 5:58 pm 

Thanks, brothers. So far, retirement isn't as good as I thought it would be...it's BETTER! LOL!
Tony, I shot this turkey with my Robertson T/D longbow, cedar arrow that my brother (and fellow PBS member) Chris made, with a Woodsman broadhead.

PostPosted: April 25th, 2015, 6:28 pm 

Congrats on the retirement and on the fine bird.

PostPosted: April 25th, 2015, 11:39 pm 

Congrats Kevin, Greg, Steve & Elmer - nice birds. Good show. Not an easy accomplishment.

Last edited by Mike Theis on April 26th, 2015, 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: April 26th, 2015, 6:39 pm 

Congrats Kevin, sounds like living the dream to me!!

PostPosted: April 26th, 2015, 10:29 pm 

Photo of Kevin Bahr Bird

Attachments:
Kevins Turkey.jpg
Kevins Turkey.jpg [ 128.01 KiB | Viewed 3557 times ]

PostPosted: April 27th, 2015, 7:21 am 

Congratulations Kevin, that's a good looking gobbler! I enjoyed reading your story too persistence almost always pays off. Great way to kick off your retirement as well.

I made it out for 5 hours Sat morning, it was 37 degrees with a cold wind from the NNE. I heard one gobble forever away and that was it. I think the turkeys were staying down in the neighbor's bottom out of the wind. Couldn't hunt Sun due to a family emergency, but this morning there was a gobbler strutting in the back corner of the field as I left for work. I will try for him this coming Sat.

PostPosted: April 27th, 2015, 8:26 am 

Membership Status: Life Member
Turkey hunting has been very slow for me in southeast Iowa. Been out the past two weekends. Hearing very few gobbles. Had a tom come in last weekend. He hung up about 40 yards in front of my blind. I had a hen decoy 10 yards in front of my blind. He strutted a bit and moved back and forth for 1.5 hours. Never gobbled the entire time and would not come closer even though I threw in a few clucks and purrs every now and then.