It is currently June 26th, 2017, 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: April 10th, 2015, 7:58 pm 

Membership Status: Regular Member
Hey fella's wondering if anyone has some advice on shot placement on black bear, videos or books? Thanks for any and all your help. Terry B

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: April 10th, 2015, 8:43 pm 

The only thing I can add is forward=low hit, further back you hit the higher the hit needs to be. If you look at a picture of where the lungs are on the bear it will make sense.

PostPosted: April 10th, 2015, 8:50 pm 

Black bears are typically not as hearty as a whitetail. Here's a pic that may help.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 268.17 KiB | Viewed 3231 times ]

PostPosted: April 10th, 2015, 8:58 pm 

Also, sometimes it's difficult to pick a spot, especially if it has a real thick coat. Try to draw an imaginary horizontal line through the middle and then a vertical line down the center, shoot for the upper right corner of the lower left quadrant. Good Luck

PostPosted: April 11th, 2015, 1:45 am 

That pict shows the lungs more on a horizontal level. My experience is that they slope a little up as you go back. I probably cannot find it but there was a really good pict of one that I saw a while back.

I also have a hard time picking a spot on a black bear. Even on a perfect hit they sometimes don't leave a blood trail. But like Sean said they are kinda wimps when you put an arrow through the lungs. They don't go very far.

PostPosted: April 11th, 2015, 7:38 am 

Membership Status: Associate Member
I don't have a photo of vitals, but I'll see if I can find one too. I agree though, if you put a broadhead through a bears lungs he will be down in very short order. I have found them to be much easier in giving up the ghost when compared to deer.

David

PostPosted: April 11th, 2015, 7:32 pm 

Here you go Terry.

Attachments:
Bear vitals.jpg
Bear vitals.jpg [ 57.64 KiB | Viewed 3149 times ]

PostPosted: April 11th, 2015, 7:58 pm 

Thanks everyone. While I've never even shot at a bear I believe I have a good idea on shot placement for black bears. I was pulling up web pages the other day and I saw a picture that displayed the vitals very mid body. I wish I would've downloaded the picture as I can't find it now. So I decided to I better make sure what I was seeing in that picture was not normal. Who better to ask than the BEST BOWHUNTERS IN THE WORLD. Thanks again.

PostPosted: April 12th, 2015, 9:14 pm 

I was always told to imagine a line that cuts them directly in half and one horizontal then aim 4 inches forward. On big bears, it a good idea to break their diaphragm.

PostPosted: April 12th, 2015, 10:40 pm 

As a former bear biologist (research) in Oregon I got involved in a lot of these discussions -- with hunters, and a lot of bowhunters, so I will chip in and say...let the leg come forward, hug tight against the mid-shoulder, slightly low you hit the heart, dead center you deflate the lungs. Now, keep in mind this is advice from a ground based position --- up in a tree, better heed some good advice above!

PostPosted: April 13th, 2015, 8:24 am 

Jim Akenson wrote:
As a former bear biologist (research) in Oregon I got involved in a lot of these discussions -- with hunters, and a lot of bowhunters, so I will chip in and say...let the leg come forward, hug tight against the mid-shoulder, slightly low you hit the heart, dead center you deflate the lungs. Now, keep in mind this is advice from a ground based position --- up in a tree, better heed some good advice above!

Good advice on waiting for the near side leg to move forward. You definitely want that big a$$ shoulder blade to be out of the way when your arrow gets there.

PostPosted: April 15th, 2015, 3:15 pm 

Thanks for the advise Jim this confirms that the picture I saw showing the heart behind the front leg (broadside) was wrong as I suspected.

PostPosted: April 16th, 2015, 4:53 am 

In my experience a bears ribcage is somewhat cone shaped as it goes forward under the front legs. When shooting close range from a tree stand at a quartering away bear it is very easy to slip an arrow in the crease between the front leg and the rib cage and the arrow can slide along the ribs without ever penetrating the cavity. I really prefer a true broadside shot at a bear, but if I take a quartering at shot I make sure not to crowd that near leg too much. The thick hair also distorts the sight picture a bit so really pay attention and visualize where you want the arrow to pass through.
I agree that hit in the right place, bears are soft, and a double lung hit puts them down fast.

PostPosted: April 21st, 2015, 7:49 pm 

OK again thanks to ALL who have posted advice, trust me it is all very welcome. I now have an even more important question BROADHEADS!!!
What head do you shoot and why? In case you are interested I will be shooting a Custom TimberHawk 3 piece takedown recurve that is 50@28". I currently shoot both wood and carbon, not sure exactly which for this hunt. Welcome your recommendations, something special about picking the brains of some of greatest bowhunters in the world :-)

PostPosted: April 21st, 2015, 11:34 pm 

What are you shooting now? I would just stick with them. Any sharp broadhead will work.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2015, 6:36 am 

Terry, bears are pretty thin skinned and you can shoot through them fairly easily. The problem with bears are that they have very thick fur and are often fat. What happens is that the broadhead hole can clog with fat and reduce bleeding. Add in the thick fur that limits a blood trail for quite a ways after the hit and you can see why I always use a big solid three blade. I want the biggest hole I can get and want to cut as many blood vessels as possible. A good sharp Snuffer or Woodsman have worked well for me.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2015, 9:53 am 

Membership Status: Life Member
What Terry said!!!

PostPosted: April 28th, 2015, 9:53 am 

Thanks Terry R (and everyone else), I have both of those and will more than likely shoot one of them.

PostPosted: May 17th, 2015, 10:10 pm 

Looks like they have similar anatomy to a hog just a bit larger.

PostPosted: June 9th, 2015, 1:27 pm 

Just came back from hunt...hit bear high on near side behind shoulder angling downward towards opposite arm-pit. Complete penetration through 5 inches of fur, rib bones and out other side. Arrow stayed in bear with broadhead exited 5 inches on low side and about same fletching visible on high side.

Instant spray of blood with bears FIRST STEP and every step after it was a good squirt of blood. Went into thick stuff and broke arrow off and when it pulled out the blood was a steady stream on ground and leaves in its path.

Quick recovery....great blood trail.

USAF (Retired)

PostPosted: June 9th, 2015, 2:42 pm 

Membership Status: Life Member
We need some pics Ron!

PostPosted: June 9th, 2015, 2:51 pm 

Maybe no common big game animal has had more said about where to shoot it than a black bear. I think it's good to have the discussion, but I've never seen anything too unusual (anatomically speaking) about where they should be hit. I lost my very first bear by taking a totally unwarranted shot against any amount of logic. After that I changed my strategy.

Bears are unpredictable in their movements. Sometimes it's like their front and rear halves articulate and move independently. A bear feeding around a bait can change positions quickly and shot opportunities can be had (or missed) in rapid order. I keep things dumb-simple for myself. I don't shoot quartering away on bears mainly due to reduced chance of an exit wound and reduced blood trail. Once the bear is broadside I quickly find the exact middle of the body and then pick a spot just forward by 2-3 inches. I don't aim low or high. Just forward of center-mass is where my arrow should go, whether from a tree or on the ground. I've killed blackies from both setups and had no problems. Broadside shots with almost any good c-o-c head will yield full penetration and a dead bear. Definitely pick a spot. It's good to practice draw on every bear possible and school yourself on what needs to happen when you finally know you're drawing for the kill shot.

PostPosted: June 9th, 2015, 10:20 pm 

John Vargo wrote:
We need some pics Ron!

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2558&p=42682#p42682

USAF (Retired)