It is currently July 25th, 2017, 1:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Help regaining strength!
PostPosted: April 8th, 2015, 8:25 pm 

Membership Status: Regular Member
I am recovering from torn bicep tendon surgery. I wasn't allowed to use my arm for six months, missing all of last bow season. I am trying to regain the strength in the arm I pull my string with. Any suggestions for specific exercises to get me up to pulling 55-60# again would be appreciated.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: April 8th, 2015, 9:36 pm 

I would defer any and all requests to your Physical Therapist. Only they know what you have gone thru and what you are capable of, due to the injury you sustained.

My only advice would be to not rush it. If you do, you will more than likely be sidelined even longer.

PostPosted: April 9th, 2015, 6:03 am 

Membership Status: Associate Member
I agree with Mike, see what your PT says.

That said, my comeback was a little different - no injury but weakness and atrophy from rad/chemo.
Get back into it slowly. I did a lot of bodyweight exercises - pushups, pullups, chin-ups, crunches, etc the first several months. Swimming with hand paddles will also work shoulders.
To get my shooting moving, I shot a light bow for a month or so then borrowed an intermediate weight and shot it for another month or so. By then I had built up to my lightest bow and gradually back to my heaviest bow.
I have a 45# Grizzly I could lend you for a few months. My oldest son isn't quite ready for it yet. I don't think I have arrows for it though.

PostPosted: April 9th, 2015, 7:08 am 

Theoretically I agree with the idea of consulting with physical therapy. On the other hand, I've had some PT experiences which left me in worse pain than when I began rehabbing. Some pros are likely to be conservative while others may push you harder than expected. In the end, you'll have to trust them to keep you from having a setback.

If interested you can search the web for 'physical therapy rubber bands' and find a lot of resistance bands which are useful for strength and conditioning. They come in various levels of resistance or strength. You can tie them to a fixed object or location and then pull against them as in pulling a bow. Start mild and work into it. YouTube has a lot of information if you search it correctly.

PostPosted: April 9th, 2015, 12:09 pm 

Careful with the bands, you don't want to end up like Harry Ried. Oh wait, never mind he changed his story.

PostPosted: April 9th, 2015, 1:25 pm 

LOL, guess I can't use that excuse, can I Greg?

PostPosted: April 9th, 2015, 6:11 pm 

Membership Status: Life Member
I concur with Kevin. The stretch bands or cables are an absolutely great training tool or rehabbing tool.
http://www.ironmind-store.com/Essential ... info/1240/
I always travel with a set and have been using them for 15+ years everywhere from Australia to Alaska and back home. I had a shoulder issue back in 98 and by starting with one band eliminated all shoulder pain within two weeks. Start slow with limited resistance then add reps and bands. I realize not everyone's the same, but it worked for me. The number of exercises able to be performed with cables is almost limited by your imagination.

"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his power." -Ephesians 6:10
"Be Bold and mighty forces will come to your aid." - Goethe
"A lot of the physical is mental" - IronMind