It is currently June 23rd, 2017, 8:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Suck It Up
PostPosted: March 31st, 2015, 7:54 am 

Membership Status: Regular Member
Well guys, we're not getting any younger and I know I have one fewer hunting season left on my personal license. Too many people my age (plus older and younger) seem to be cashing in before they're ready. I might not be able to add years, but I can surely add quality to my years. I've been shed hunting hard this spring and my old boots are beat to hell from it. My legs look like I have a skin disease due to all the scratches and briar holes. Anyway...it's that time of year. Time to suck it up and get some much-needed exercise and fresh air.

Last evening I laced up the new hunting boots and strapped on a pack with a moderate load. We took a good hike through the hills and fields; enough to let me know I've got to get after it hard again this year.

Anyone else feeling the clock ticking?

Post subject: Re: Suck It Up
PostPosted: March 31st, 2015, 8:57 am 

Get it while the getting is good. DO NOT wait till retirement to do anything, that time might not be there. My Parents used to plan everything around what they want to do in their retirement years.

My Dad was dead a year after he retired and never got to travel in that year he was off, then to top off the whole mess, My Mom retired last Wednesday, at age 72 1/2, from being a Union Meat Wrapper with 50 years of service, and not 1 sick day used that entire time. She worked 6 days a week, 8 hours a day.

Her plan was to do the things that her and my dad had planned together. Like I said, she retired last Wednesday. Yestrrday, after 5 days of retirement, she was in Dallas walking in front of the "Grassy Knoll" location of the JFK assassination and tripped and fell. As I type this, I just received a text that Mom is headed into surgery now and is getting a rod installed the length of her femur because of a complete break. So much for the retirement years. Weeks of recovery, and months of therapy are ahead of her.

The only good, if you want to call it that, is that last summer, she bought the house next door to us and I remodeled it before she moved in to accommodate her and her future needs.

In my mind, I had planned to retire at 60 (17 years from now), but with this kind of track record running in my family, they are gonna have to drag me out of here at 90.

In all seriousness, none of us know what the future holds. Get out and enjoy life now while we still can, because from my perspective, the retirement years suck.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: March 31st, 2015, 10:42 am 

Membership Status: Life Member
I'm just a shade from being 64 and doing my dead level best to lose weight. I've lost 12 pounds so far, but really should go for double that. I'll never be as strong as I was when I was 25, but I'm not giving up the ghost just yet. I still like hanging my own tree stands and that task seems tougher and tougher. Spring means, fishing, chainsawing, turkey hunting, mushroom hunting, golfing (I walk and carry my bag), 3 D shoots, putting up tree stands and adjusting others. The list goes on and on. I figure I owe it to myself to be as good as I can be.

Hell, I still want to pull heavy bows for awhile yet.
I'm exercising more, but can't handle Doug Clayton's routine and he is older than I am.

PostPosted: March 31st, 2015, 11:06 am 

I hear you Kevin!

After I woke up on a Tues with tingling in my toes and was paralyzed from the neck down by Thurs due to Guillain Barre, I've not been waiting for anything. I'll probably die dirt poor of money, but rich in memories. My wife and two daughters just booked a trip to India this summer. We look forward to riding elephants through the tall grass. Too bad I won't be tiger hunting. :)

After finding all the weight I lost two years ago, I'm now on a program to lose it again. Down 15#s and several more to go.

PostPosted: March 31st, 2015, 11:15 am 

Good effort Kevin. At 52 the mountains here behind my home seem to get higher every year. April tends to be a wet month here along the Oregon coast. As I get older I am more a fair weather hiker. May will likely be the time I dig out the pack and head for the mountains a few times each week. Not that I would ever do this but you can make the pack look impressive by starting with a big light weight pillow stuffed inside. You can add the heavy stuff later :D

PostPosted: March 31st, 2015, 3:06 pm 

Kevin
You certainly seem to know the right time to point out the obvious that stares at us day in and day out.
I went to the Gym today and need to continue ,I do have a goal.

PostPosted: March 31st, 2015, 7:33 pm 
Site Admin

I loved my dad as much as any son has ever loved a father. We spoke everyday. We were close his entire life and now I still struggle with the loneliness left in his absence. No other person in this world truly gives a sh!t that I was kind of thinking too much about my release tonight or that I saw a red tail take out a mouse on the way to work yesterday. If dad were alive my life, my hunting, my everyday experience would be better. He died at 65 because of choices he made. Perhaps, this will end up being the most important lesson he ever taught me (or maybe equal to "stop, think, pick a spot"). I want to follow in his foot steps in every way but the one that involves dying at 65. My daily choices are heavily influenced by this - I plan to die when I am 86. That's the goal. Gotta make sure I do the things I can to make that happen.

... Today I ate well, I ran three miles faster than race pace, shot 50 arrows (poorly) ... Doing what I can each day to kill something with my bow after I turn 80. Good goal, right?

The Twisted Stave
Golden Specialties

PostPosted: April 1st, 2015, 6:51 am 

Norm Johnson wrote:
Not that I would ever do this but you can make the pack look impressive by starting with a big light weight pillow stuffed inside. You can add the heavy stuff later :D

No self-respecting PBS-packer would ever carry a foo-foo load of pillows in his backpack. I only carry real camping gear, and a 3-pound down mummy bag works much better than pillows! :lol:

PostPosted: April 1st, 2015, 7:08 am 

Membership Status: Associate Member
Good to know I'll have a hunting partner in the 2050's, Ted!

PostPosted: April 1st, 2015, 8:17 am 

I'm 43 years young. I go on a couple hunting trips a year. I hear a lot of older folks say to me I wish I would of done that when I was younger.
No tomorrow is promised to us. Live life to the fullest!!!

PostPosted: April 1st, 2015, 10:41 am 
Site Admin

Kevin, that pack must be full of Buckeye shed antlers! I have been taking my pack for some hikes, but not as much as I need to - should be every day. Each day is a gift, when I wake up I try hard to remember to thank God for another day. I think Ted has a great daily routine: eat well, exercise and shoot some arrows!

Romans 10:15 “.......How beautiful are the feet of those that bring the Good News of Jesus...”

PostPosted: April 1st, 2015, 11:06 am 

I learned a long time ago that the hardest part of any journey was leaving behind the comforts and welcoming a bit of hardship.

PostPosted: April 1st, 2015, 12:21 pm 

Kevin Dill wrote:
I learned a long time ago that the hardest part of any journey was leaving behind the comforts and welcoming a bit of hardship.

Words of wisdom for the sole!

PostPosted: April 1st, 2015, 2:35 pm 

Well...I m now 77...pushing 78...it is really getting hard to maintain my desired levels of physical fitness these days. That said, I am working hard at not only staying in shape, but getting ready for my August trip to Oregon for the Fall Roosevelt season. My health took a hit recently when I was diagnosed with asthma, something that I was not prepared for. It made me realise that I need to seriously evaluate what I need to do to maintain my health. The good news is my Primary Care Physician wants me to go elk hunting and is working hard to find the best course of therapy to overcome the asthma. As we get older, we realise just how delicate the balance of good health and realistic desires really is. I know the coastal mountains of Oregon are formidable obstacles to me, but I am once again willing to step up to the plate and prepair myself the best I can.

Physical fitness is not something to seasonally do...it should be something we participate in year around....

Dave

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2015, 6:47 pm 

Well....we sucked it up last evening. Wife and I put on the briar clothes and hit the thickets. The weather was warm and with light breezes. Pretty soon a sweat popped and mixed with the blood on my arms. We muttered and sputtered our way through the tangles and searched for antlers. In the end, we found nothing for the effort. Okay...we both grinned and agreed it was good to get out, get dirty and get tired. When we exited the thicket it was all up-hill and nearly a half mile home.

Dinner was lean beef....a grilled filet...and a few potato wedges. We justified the red wine due to the antioxidant rumor.

How can I complain?

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2015, 7:36 pm 

The carb load on red wine is pretty low so nothing to worry about there. The Founder's KBS beer I've found a way to the last couple of evenings.....hmmmm....not so much.

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2015, 8:29 pm 

Great advise Kevin, I have dropped 30# since the first of the year. Walking everyday, started with a pack two days ago. Hope to be ready for the foot hills in southern Ohio this fall.

PostPosted: April 4th, 2015, 11:35 am 

You young guys have discussed some good philosophy, lifestyles, and common sense ideas on how to enjoy life while you can. I agree with what you posted.

I was 78 when I retired for the third time. I'll be 80 next week. Like some of you stated, I thank God for allowing me to live as long as I have and to enjoy life.

I exercise daily and try to eat a healthy diet. I don't smoke and seldom drink other than a sip of brandy to celebrate a successful hunt. I've suffered injuries but am seldom sick. One of my favorite expressions is, "Pain is inevitable; misery is optional."

My two recreational passions are bow hunting and golf, and I do a lot of both. I probably hunt more than most individuals, now mostly white tails. My last elk hunt was with Dave Watson a few years ago in Oregon. We were on a do it yourself hunt. Dave asked if I was holding out for a bull. I told him I would rather shoot something smaller that we could pack out easier. I agree with Clint Eastwood who famously said, "A man has to know his limitations."

I mainly hunt deer from hang on stands which I erect myself. A few years ago, I met a young man who had acquired permission to hunt the same property I was hunting. He had placed a ladder stand near one of my stands and explained that his father who was 55 would be using it since he could no longer hunt from hang on stands. I didn't relate to that.

I've stopped shooting more than two deer a day because of the work involved. On occasion, I've reluctantly asked a friend to help me get a heavy buck out of the woods and loaded in my vehicle.

I play golf twice a week. Some guys don't like to be paired with me, commenting "He will play in any kind of weather." To remain competitive, I've had to improve my putting, chipping, and pitching to compensate for my decreased distance with a driver. Advancing age affects strength, flexibility, coordination, and balance among other things but I'm not ready to concede that it decreases my ability to adjust.

Got to run now, I'm going to take Kevin's advice and go shed hunting.

John Stockman

PostPosted: April 16th, 2015, 9:45 pm 

Thanks for fresh modivation Kevin!

PostPosted: April 17th, 2015, 8:59 am 

Membership Status: Life Member
After reading Dan Gable's book, A Wrestler's Life, I've decided to refocus. Dan Gable can have that effect on you! He talks about dedicating yourself to a 30 day period. I am increasing the duration and intensity of my strength training sessions along with walking the sled hill with a weighted vest; alternating the days. I decided not to tolerate the beginning of the old man gut wanting to rear it's ugly head.

"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his power." -Ephesians 6:10
"Be Bold and mighty forces will come to your aid." - Goethe
"A lot of the physical is mental" - IronMind

PostPosted: June 21st, 2015, 9:04 pm 

Can relate need to get some more miles on these legs and put more miles on the mountain bike.

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2015, 7:47 am 

Well....I have still been having health issues...I had been miss diagnosed with asthema....and after a plethora of tests, cat scans, echocardiograms, blood diffusion tests, lung biopsy, which led to 3 days in the hospital..the answer finally came in...pulmonary fibrosis......not good news. This disease causes scaring of the lungs and affects the lungs ability to convert oxygen into the blood stream..the net result is shortness of breath during any physical activity. I was really taken back by all of this because I now had to rethink my plans to hunt Roosevelt elk this fall. The cause of this is unknown as there are many things which could cause this. Some types of fibrosis are not treatable and are fatal. Mine is treatable but not reversible, so I must learn to adjust, adapt, and overcome to my new disabilities.

I still work out several times a week, try to maintain my health as best I can, but it appears my elk hunting days are over and that really breaks my heart.

Just want to let you " young guys" know....getting old is not for sissies!

Dave

PostPosted: June 25th, 2015, 10:37 pm 

Living in the Valley of the Sun near Phoenix, means I have to search for a hill. I run 4 miles several days a week around the house, nothing but flat land and my home has zero steps. It's been 110 degrees plus the last week. I make the time to drive to a hiking trail and run 8-10 miles through some rugged hills Saturday mornings. Making the best of what is available and not letting anything interfere. Looking forward to an Elk hunt in Colorado in 2 months. Hope to be ready, doing what I can to get ready for the elevation. No excuses. 57 years is very young. My son loaded an exercise app on my first smart phone. Now I am actually pushing myself to better my running times. Everyone needs lots of self-motivation. Where does yours come from?

Remember, as we age balance becomes more important, improving stability so we do not fall. How many of you "practice" balance? I live in the city so I run in the city but I stay off the street and sidewalk. I walk and run on peoples front yards, grass or gravel, through parks when available. Stones, tree roots, small mounds twist ankles and forces different leg muscles to react. Uneven surfaces causes you to practice balance. Staying off the concrete and asphalt probably helps the knees also.

Stay young.