It is currently August 22nd, 2017, 6:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: April 2nd, 2015, 2:56 pm 

Membership Status: Regular Member
This is a great post...and the pictures really add a lot - thanks Mike & Kevin!

The title of this post -- is a real "thinker"....like Norm says, that's what we do as PBSers - produce our own food, whether it's game, fish, clams, etc. and supplement with a garden or other goodies from nature (berries, mushrooms, fruit).

Anyway, not a lot to add...except for, in the years my wife and I lived in the Idaho backcountry, well off the grid, we would hang deer and elk for 4 months or so (thru winter)...letting it form a rind and cutting off portions as needed. Sometimes we had to elevate with a cable over a high limb to discourage bobcats, but it was the best meat! Then come spring -- and warmer temps, we would pressure can most of the left-overs and make some jerky too. That was the 'good old way in the good old days'...miss it!

Attachments:
File comment: Bringing home the winter meat!
P1010469.JPG
P1010469.JPG [ 1.09 MiB | Viewed 2804 times ]
 Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2015, 5:15 pm 
Site Admin

Great thread. Although I don't fill many tags, between the few animals I manage to arrow and the animals we raise on my farm, we rarely buy meat from the store. Like Terry's kids, mine love wild game and simply ask "what animal are we eating now?". When we have guests, my girls always warn their friends that most likely the meat is wild game. I also have a huge garden and can or freeze many veggies.

Regarding the organic or free range trend, I like to raise my bigger animals (hogs and cattle) in pairs and sell one to pay for the pair's feed, then kill and butcher the other one for my family. I usually sell to neighbors or somebody in the nearby community, but I learned that calling them free-range and drug-free (which they are) earns me a few more dollars. In my county, commercial chicken farming is the biggest industry and many of my neighbors have multiple chicken houses where they get a batch of 5000 chicks and send them to Tyson as meat chickens in five weeks! On my farm, I let a few hens hatch a batch of chicks during the year and I can tell you that it takes a lot longer than five weeks for them to grow big enough to be worth killing and cooking; no growth hormones and steroids used on my farm!

Romans 10:15 “.......How beautiful are the feet of those that bring the Good News of Jesus...”

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2015, 5:35 pm 

Membership Status: Associate Member
Hey Dillbilly-come over to my campsite for baked coyote anytime! :shock:

PostPosted: April 17th, 2015, 8:56 pm 

I process all of the deer that I shoot and we can some and freeze the rest. Steaks, roasts, and burger. The rest of our meat comes from steers that I help raise on my fiancée Morgan's uncle's farm (which is also where my deer come from!). I would love to have fresh caught fish in the freezer but I'm a better hunter than a fisherman. Morgan buys chicken. She wants to raise our own but I am too busy taking care of larger livestock to keep the predators around here from killing them all. We grow most all of our vegetables in a garden that we share with her uncles and also can pickles, green beans, and whatever else Morgan wants to do. There are 5 pear trees in her uncle's backyard and we can every pear that drops and isn't spoiled, it's kind of tradition. We did over 150 qt last fall... I'm getting sick of them now but they are really good. Nothing like picking one off the tree and enjoying it after a hard day of working in the fields. When our garden veggies are gone we buy from the store, usually Aldi's. Don't think twice about it. I respect the whole organic and local foods movement but we can't afford to shell out the extra dough... Tried making homemade blackberry wine once, my Grandpa (a true hillbilly originally from the "mountains" around Elkhorn City, KY) helped me, and it turned out bad. Really bad. So I just stick with cheap beer.

PostPosted: April 18th, 2015, 6:44 pm 

Bear Balls...

1. Brown 1# of meat. You can use whatever meat you like. Tonight I used Bear burger for the simple reason that we like to eat what I kill.

2. Take two cans of biscuits and 1 biscuit at a time, roll them to about 3 times their size.

3. Take one 8 oz. package of cream cheese (softened) and add to the meat. Mix together well. (Use the heat of the meat to melt the cream cheese. Do not cook the cheese)

4. Scoop about 1 1/2 tablespoons of mixture into the center of a flattened biscuit, then fold all sides together.

5. Place onto cookie sheet like you were just going to cook biscuits Then place cookie sheets into the preheated oven.

6. Once the biscuits are golden brown, remove from oven.

7. Serve and enjoy...

The only thing that would of made this better is some country gravy drizzled over the top.

Last edited by Mike Vines on April 19th, 2015, 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: April 19th, 2015, 5:11 pm 

Mike that looks good and simple . I agree some country gravy on top um!!!
I'll be playing with this recipe my minds a churning ;)

Member of NRA

PostPosted: May 6th, 2015, 10:12 pm 

Interesting topic indeed. I retired last year in June we moved from Colorado to Southern Illinois (where I grew up) bought a small farm, which adjoins Nat'l Forest.

I am busier now than when I was working full time , we have a half acre garden, and stocked pond, we grow and can or freeze most of the veggies we eat, fresh fish and venison (when I get lucky), fresh berries from the garden and wild.

We still hit the local farmers markets ocassionally for some of the items we don't grow. Eggs and Poultry from one of our friends sons (FFA) project.

Pretty rural here you can find pretty much everything locally grown that you need.

PostPosted: May 16th, 2015, 11:44 am 

I always eat what I kill and provide my family with some delicious meals.

Attachment:
WP_20150114_12_16_00_Pro(2).jpg
WP_20150114_12_16_00_Pro(2).jpg [ 811.48 KiB | Viewed 2593 times ]

Attachment:
WP_20150115_18_48_56_Pro.jpg
WP_20150115_18_48_56_Pro.jpg [ 465.15 KiB | Viewed 2593 times ]

PostPosted: July 25th, 2015, 1:08 pm 

A day of foraging at the u-pick farm about a hour away. We brought along an extra pair of hands so as to get more. I think the boys decided eating was much more important than filling up their buckets. Good thing they didn't weigh all of us before, then after.

I decided to wear my new rubber boots (lacrosse Aeroheads) for two reasons...1-fully enjoy wearing them (very comfortable), 2-my wife said I would look stupid wearing the rubber hip boots I just picked up for the moose hunt. I think what she ment was SHE would be embarrassed to be seen with me in shorts and hip boots (I think she already knows I don't care what others think)

PostPosted: July 25th, 2015, 8:28 pm 

Yep, living off the land, allbeit someone else's land, but land none the less :D

PostPosted: July 25th, 2015, 9:57 pm 
Site Admin

Membership Status: Life Member
Attachment:
perfectday.jpg
perfectday.jpg [ 120.43 KiB | Viewed 2357 times ]

Breakfasts on the Kodiak membership hunt are goina be goooood!

Our only perfect day so far, 12 full sized hens and 13 bantam hens.

PostPosted: July 25th, 2015, 10:00 pm 

Completed the cycle of life today.....took out a bear roast I cut from one of the shoulders or hams from the bear I shot last month on my Canadian hunt. Rendered some bacon grease...seared the roast on all sides...added salt, pepper, garlic, fresh onions.....after it marinated all night in a mix of sesame oil and teriyaki. Added little water and then stuck in oven at 300* for 5-6 hours until very tender and at or over 198* internal temp. Served with green beans blanched and sauteed mushrooms we bought fresh today. Outstanding..... wife loved it as she forgot what it tasted like since had been 17 years since I went bear hunting....and two grand daughters loved it too (rising second grader and her little sister that just turned 2 years old). LOL My kids and our extended family expect venison in spaghetti, manicotti, lasagna, meatloaf, sausage.......shrimp, ducks, rabbit, squirrel, and sometimes wild boar (sausage). It is a large part of our diet along with the occasional smoked vension tenderloin or baked redfish, trout, flounder or shark.

Growing up and until parents sold their farm due to health...we had duck and chicken eggs...occasional goat as well. Not to mention silver queen corn, okra, butter beans, yellow squash and watermelons from the fields.

USAF (Retired)

Last edited by Ron Herman on July 26th, 2015, 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: July 26th, 2015, 5:51 am 

Ron, that looks and sounds fantastic.

PostPosted: July 26th, 2015, 4:38 pm 
Site Admin

I go fishing maybe once a year, once every second year. Here is a yelloweye rockfish from July 1. We caught 9 species of rockfish, 13 total different species including a 38# ling cod. Anyone headed this way we'll get you hooked up with this dude from my subdivision, we always catch tons. Preston can vouch for him too!

Attachment:
yelloweye.jpg
yelloweye.jpg [ 152.41 KiB | Viewed 2318 times ]

PostPosted: July 26th, 2015, 6:42 pm 

I thought you might post back with something edible besides eggs, Steve Ho. Eggs in WI we got, rockfish not so much. Looks like that one could feed a party of 4. I have got to make it to Alaska someday.

PostPosted: July 27th, 2015, 8:11 am 

I am willing and able to be the only meat provider for my family but with my daughter and wife not caring too much for wild game, we buy most of our meat. I however do really enjoy and prefer it so I have a dedicated deep freeze to put the many deer I kill every year in it. We also do several family gathering excursions each year. My daughter does like jerky so I tend to make a lot of it with my deer meat.

BBQ jalepeno venizon pizza (incredible)

I also brew my own beer and that is very satisfying and helps my nerves when I have to buy meat from the store. Haha

PostPosted: July 27th, 2015, 9:01 am 

Tom, can I have a little home brew with my jerky?

"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his power." -Ephesians 6:10
"Be Bold and mighty forces will come to your aid." - Goethe
"A lot of the physical is mental" - IronMind

PostPosted: July 27th, 2015, 11:18 am 

We have wild game on the table 2-4 times a week. My kids were all raised on it and they are off filling their own freezers now. This time of year I graze in the garden like a cow. I love fresh vegetables!

I had fried frog legs for dinner last night and spent all morning this morning putting together three batches of home made sauerkraut.... one plain, one with fennel seed and one with apples! I love pork chops and sauerkraut!

PostPosted: July 28th, 2015, 3:02 am 

That fish that Steve is holding up is probably older than he is. Great table fare

PostPosted: August 26th, 2015, 11:00 am 

While on a recent fly-in fishing/scouting trip, I saw a beautiful patch of blueberries along the road and stopped in.

Here is a picture of my wife and boys filling up water bottles with blueberries while I stay on "Bear Watch"...

PostPosted: August 26th, 2015, 11:04 am 

Got to do some fishing too (i believe after 2 days and 5" of rain, the smiles tell the whole story)...

Nothing beats fresh fish...

PostPosted: September 7th, 2015, 6:44 pm 

Mike, you're killin' me here... dang that looks good. I LOVE blueberries.