It is currently July 27th, 2017, 1:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: March 12th, 2015, 5:17 pm 
Site Admin

Membership Status: Life Member
I hadn't gotten a lot of hunting time in the past couple of years so I thought it was time to break that ugly string and get back to it. I came off of two shoulder surgeries in 2014 and have just been getting my drawing arm shoulder mobility and strength back. I hadn't been to Kauai in about four years so it was surely past time. Feral chicken/roosters have become ubiquitous to Kauai since their liberation with a 1992 hurricane. Of course the feral goats and feral pigs are what pulls me to Kauai plus the scenery isn't so bad either.

Attachment:
1-Rooster.jpg
1-Rooster.jpg [ 433.51 KiB | Viewed 3231 times ]

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: March 12th, 2015, 5:23 pm 
Site Admin

My favorite place on Kauai is the NaPali Coast. The trailhead starts a few miles north of Hanalei and follows the sea cliffs for 11 1/2 miles to Kalalau Beach.

Put first, I had a day off, before I hit the trail. First stop, "Eggberts" for macadamia nut pancakes with coconut syrup! Best pancakes anywhere!

Attachment:
2-Eggberts.jpg
2-Eggberts.jpg [ 392.11 KiB | Viewed 3230 times ]

PostPosted: March 12th, 2015, 5:26 pm 
Site Admin

Next stop for my favorite Coffee--Kauai Coffee peaberry.

Attachment:
3-KauaiCoffee).jpg
3-KauaiCoffee).jpg [ 444.6 KiB | Viewed 3230 times ]

PostPosted: March 12th, 2015, 5:28 pm 
Site Admin

I always need to make my obligatory trip to peer down into Waimea Canyon. The canyon has hunting seasons but usually at a different time of the year so I just play tourist for a moment.

Attachment:
4-Waimea.jpg
4-Waimea.jpg [ 382.28 KiB | Viewed 3230 times ]

PostPosted: March 12th, 2015, 5:30 pm 
Site Admin

Monday morning I got my required stamp on my hunting license and headed to the trailhead. The trail was wet but I had seen it in worse shape and I would see it degrade from there.

Attachment:
5-Trail.jpg
5-Trail.jpg [ 479.02 KiB | Viewed 3230 times ]

PostPosted: March 12th, 2015, 5:31 pm 
Site Admin

Many places along the trail you can see evidence of rock walls and terraces built by Hawaiians of long ago.

Attachment:
6-RockWall.jpg
6-RockWall.jpg [ 736.64 KiB | Viewed 3230 times ]

PostPosted: March 12th, 2015, 5:41 pm 
Site Admin

Over the past couple of years the State has encouraged goat reduction by firearms. The goat hunting just isn't what it used to be, the good ole' days probably ended a few years ago. The lesson is don't wait until tomorrow. I still saw goats and honestly I blew an opportunity or three but a few years ago you could turn up double digit good opportunities in a day. I heard goats having been spotted by hikers further down the trail so I decided to keep going and on the second day I made it the 11 1/2 miles to Kalalu Beach.

At the beach I hung out with hippies (yes, of course they were dirty), some of them naked. Another hunter had killed a goat so I did get a taste and it turns out one of the hippies was a chef so it was pretty scrumptious. What was odd was of about ten people in camp, five had birthdays within days and one just a week later. The chef baked an impromptu cake and just as I was cramming a slice in my mouth he mentioned that there was "ganja" in the frosting. I turned away from the crowd and if it tasted sweet discreetly spit it out into the bushes almost spitting on a lava leopard (feral cat) in the process!

Attachment:
7-Kalalau.jpg
7-Kalalau.jpg [ 404.73 KiB | Viewed 3230 times ]

PostPosted: March 12th, 2015, 6:43 pm 

Membership Status: Associate Member
Good stuff Steve. Loving the pictures.

PostPosted: March 12th, 2015, 7:31 pm 

Membership Status: Regular Member
Steve
A little rain but its not -10 degrees.
Looks like your having a good time.
Hey !! A little "Ganga" and you become one with the arrow Grasshopper. LOL

PostPosted: March 13th, 2015, 8:07 am 

Tim Denial wrote:
Steve
A little rain but its not -10 degrees.
Looks like your having a good time.
Hey !! A little "Ganga" and you become one with the arrow Grasshopper. LOL

:lol: :lol:

Loving the pictures, Steve!

PostPosted: March 13th, 2015, 9:01 pm 

Nice of him to give you the heads up!

PostPosted: March 13th, 2015, 10:55 pm 

Love these exotic hunting threads. Using my imagination as to what "Ganga" is. Not a term I remember from the 60's.
My beard looked like that until this morning. I've come out of hibernation and cleaned up a bit.
Hoping for more.

PostPosted: March 14th, 2015, 6:33 am 
Site Admin

I will say it took me by surprise last spring when I was sitting in my camp in the hanakoa valley cooking lunch and a hippy strolled in to see what I was up to. We had a great talk - I ate my mountain house and he smoked his pot. Each of us offered to share our respective options and both turned each other down politely. You see some strange things hunting in Kauai.

The Twisted Stave
Golden Specialties

PostPosted: March 14th, 2015, 2:04 pm 
Site Admin

I got waylaid yesterday, playing catchup, on my return to civilization. Yes, more will be forthcoming!

PostPosted: March 14th, 2015, 5:43 pm 

Steve Hohensee wrote:
I got waylaid yesterday on my return to civilization catchup. Yes, more will be forthcoming!

Looking forward to it.

PostPosted: March 14th, 2015, 9:13 pm 
Site Admin

I realize that the photos I posted so far make it look not so wet and you all probably think I'm being a drama queen (still or again). I'm going to jump ahead a couple hops in the story, just for dramatic effect, lol. Here is a photo of a stream crossing from three years ago when Doug Campbell was with me.

Attachments:
Giant-Midget.jpg
Giant-Midget.jpg [ 366.92 KiB | Viewed 3057 times ]

PostPosted: March 14th, 2015, 9:22 pm 
Site Admin

This is the same stream, now a raging river brought on by the near non-stop rains over the past several days. This is a common place for tourists to hike to this point, cross the stream, then hike another ways up to some huge waterfalls. The tourists coming to the raging river stacked up like cordwood, their new spectacle became watching a couple fools cross the raging river, unbeknownst to them one of them had a weighted down pack. It is not uncommon for people to die at this crossing, not so much for being swept out to sea but by smashed head against rock syndrome. I actually have footage from my new GoPro which was strapped to my head when I crossed. It is currently beyond my skillset to post that video at this time, but soon.

Attachment:
10-River.jpg
10-River.jpg [ 606.58 KiB | Viewed 3055 times ]

PostPosted: March 14th, 2015, 9:33 pm 
Site Admin

The night before I had been hunting in the six mile valley (Hanakoa) in a pour. Late in the afternoon I decided I would get a jump on the following day's hike out and head towards the next valley towards the trailhead. It really was an unexpected decision so I made double time to get there in time to see if any game was moving. The last couple minutes before dark I searched on a bench for a place to hang my hammock for the night. I was deathly quiet as I still-hunted along and was yards away from selecting a set of trees when a pig turned right in front of me!

I nocked an arrow and when the pig turned at seven yards I buried the arrow into the pig's side. It grunted and jumped off the side of the bench we were on. I took a step forward to see where the pig went, it jumped back up onto the bench and CHARGED ME!

PostPosted: March 14th, 2015, 9:40 pm 
Site Admin

I swiped at the pig with my bow and the next thing I knew I was on my hind end one leg pointing west, the other leg facing east! I reached over for an arrow that seemingly had been knocked out of my quiver but quickly realized it was the arrow I had used to shoot the pig. It eventually sunk in that I was lucky the pig had been on my other side or I too would have been Grizzly-sliced!

I stood up and realized I had a 2" x 3" swipe of blood on my calf, at first I wasn't sure whose blood it was! The arrow in the pig had evidently snapped off when the pig clipped my leg.

Darkness surrounded me as I regained my composure.

PostPosted: March 14th, 2015, 9:47 pm 
Site Admin

The pig had bailed off the bench so I started in that direction by headlamp. I found two spots of blood but couldn't come up with a third. I found a cave formed where gigantic boulders had rolled down the hillside and decided to store my gear and sleep there that night.

Attachment:
9-Cave.jpg
9-Cave.jpg [ 404.04 KiB | Viewed 3055 times ]

I circled a couple times, returning to last blood for another try. The second time I climbed to the bench a bit further down and there lay my pig in the middle of the bench! I gutted her and drug her down to the stream, normally a trickle. I made a dam in a side pool and sunk her there for the night to cool off and would butcher her in the morning.

Attachment:
8-Pig.jpg
8-Pig.jpg [ 464.28 KiB | Viewed 3055 times ]

PostPosted: March 14th, 2015, 9:52 pm 
Site Admin

The pig is a sow and is a little bit bigger than the photo implies, I'm thinking 70# or maybe 80# as she is long and meaty.

The bow is a late sixties Hoyt Xpert recurve @39# that I had purchased on e-bay for my post surgery, shoulder recoup; Surewood Douglas Fir; and 160 grain Grizzly.

The next morning I butchered her and headed out for a treacherous river crossing, I had an audience awaiting!

PostPosted: March 15th, 2015, 4:35 am 

Great stuff Steve. Even though it rained on you is hard to feel sorry for you. What a cool place!

PostPosted: March 15th, 2015, 9:23 am 

Dude, nice beard!!

PostPosted: March 15th, 2015, 10:21 am 
Site Admin

Daniel Russell wrote:
Dude, nice beard!!

Wifey doesn't think much of it, lol!

Starting to 'rethink' it after getting it caught a few times in the sleeping bag and coat zippers!

Speaking of sleeping bags.....that night in the cave I had two choices where to lay out my sleeping bag after getting it dried out after the first night's soaking. A smooth spot or a lumpy spot. I chose wrong and selected the smooth spot. I woke up soaked in water that had run down through the boulders that formed the cave that was flowing underneath me. The pouring rain was also getting blown into the cave so I was getting soaked from above and below. I reminded myself that it wasn't cold enough to get hypothermia and struggled until daylight.

PostPosted: March 15th, 2015, 10:28 am 
Site Admin

I had a few more days before I had to return home and tried a couple new spots that aren't normally open the time of year that I previously had been on Kauai. Many areas are only open on weekends so I tried an area where that was the case and primarily found pig sign but no pigs standing in that sign.

Another area was open on Monday and Tuesday for goat herd reduction so I scouted access points out and slept under a tree on the beach for two nights, once in the sand and once in my hammock.

Attachment:
11-Beach.jpg
11-Beach.jpg [ 592.14 KiB | Viewed 3025 times ]

PostPosted: March 15th, 2015, 10:40 am 
Site Admin

I woke up on Monday morning to about 15 trucks at the access point close to the beach where I slept! I elected for the other access point I had scouted out, there was half as many truck there but I started boulder hopping up a dry stream bed anyway. I quickly herd goat bleating but they were all high on the steep hillsides. I eventually selected the right hillside and climbed towards the bleating. I had a few close calls but nothing came together that day. On public lands on Kauai you have to check in for most hunts and they have sign in sheets often at a big mailbox. At the end if the day I checked the sheet and there must have been two dozen hunters using the access point I was at and I counted 14 goats that had been bagged that day and saw a couple guys carrying out another goat after that. I guess I didn't get that spot figured out too well.

About the only other excitement was losing track of my days and missing my return flight, that cost me several hundred bucks in rebook fees and other expenses, uggh. Thanks to Olin Rindal for picking me up at the airport at 2 am!

PostPosted: March 15th, 2015, 11:37 am 

What did you do to get around while on the island? What did you do with your checked baggage that was used to get your bow and arrows from AK to HI?

A return trip is in my future, just trying to narrow down the logistics to make this next one a better hunt. I did Waimea Canyon last time, and while nice and beautiful, I will opt for the Kalalau valley and Napalli coast next time.

PostPosted: March 15th, 2015, 2:18 pm 
Site Admin

Mike Vines wrote:
What did you do to get around while on the island? What did you do with your checked baggage that was used to get your bow and arrows from AK to HI?

Rental car, they are cheap over there.

PostPosted: March 15th, 2015, 2:24 pm 
Site Admin

Mike Vines wrote:
A return trip is in my future, just trying to narrow down the logistics to make this next one a better hunt. I did Waimea Canyon last time, and while nice and beautiful, I will opt for the Kalalau valley and Napalli coast next time.

That is only three hunting days. My opinion of the Napali is the hunting currently is not good enough to justify the trip. Doc Pinney is going over next week for a three generation family vacation and will likely do a brief hunt and we'll see what he observes.

PostPosted: March 16th, 2015, 3:33 pm 

You and Uncle Barry should share a beer and swap stories on surviving pig attacks. Could be inspiration for a new tv series, "When pigs attack!"