It is currently November 24th, 2017, 6:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: March 24th, 2015, 8:19 pm 

Membership Status: Associate Member
Interesting topic. I once had to rely on a beat up patched up pair of La Crosse outdoorsman boots to finish up the last day of an elk hunting trip. My feet had gotten beat up and swollen so bad my regular hunting boot wouldn't fit. Those old outdoorsman boots took me up the north face of flat top one last time where I had the experience of a lifetime. Yep, La Crosse boots have a special place in my heart.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: March 30th, 2015, 10:34 am 

Membership Status: Regular Member
Duane Krones wrote:
Interesting topic. I once had to rely on a beat up patched up pair of La Crosse outdoorsman boots to finish up the last day of an elk hunting trip. My feet had gotten beat up and swollen so bad my regular hunting boot wouldn't fit. Those old outdoorsman boots took me up the north face of flat top one last time where I had the experience of a lifetime. Yep, La Crosse boots have a special place in my heart.

Same for me Duane, that is why I have been so aggravated with the more recent product line.

I have walked thousands of miles since I was a kid wearing Lacrosse boots and my first several pairs were outstanding and were a large part of my hunting memories--

I'll have a new pair of "something" before October, just not sure what--

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2015, 8:42 am 

Lacrosse Spog 12" heavy duty boots on sell almost half price in the Breakroom. Lacrosse heavy duty.. $140retail sign in and create account $80 free shipping

has a shank I like for tree steps. Now not sure I would chase a caribou across tundra in these.. But dam sure walk a half a mile and climb locust tree and shoot a doe

http://www.hitthebreakroom.com

Chemically tested against 28 industry chemicals, including many of the chemicals commonly found in the hydraulic fracturing industry, the SPOG features a seamless exterior of chemical resistant dipped latex neoprene, an air mesh lining for inner boot air circulation and a rubber cup outsole with oil and slip resistant traction. It is also electrical hazard rated and meets or exceed ASTM F2413-11 M I/75 C/75 EH standards.

Features
•Seamless exterior of chemical resistant dipped latex neoprene
•Adjustable back gusset and strap
•Non-metallic toe meets or exceeds ASTM F2413-11 M I/75 C/75 EH standards
•Comfortable air mesh lining
•Removable EVA footbed
•Fiberglass shank
•LaCrosse® Spog rubber cup outsole featuring oil and slip resistant traction
•Chemically tested against 28 industry chemicals, including many chemicals commonly found in the hydraulic fracturing industry
•12" height
•5.2 lbs per pair

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2015, 8:20 pm 

Here's another one you guys might want to check out. Back in the mid- '80s I got a pair of Nokia rubber knee-high boots. I want to mention I have NOT seen their new models so I'm not going to compare. The ones I have are a good quality supple rubber with an aggressive tread pattern. The thing I like the most about them is the fact they have a completely removable knee-high wool felt liner. I bought an extra pair of felt liners ($30) so after a day of hunting you can pull the damp ones out and replace it with the dry/new felts. The felt liners are also washable which really helps to keep the scent minimal. The boots are made in Finland and run about $200. a pair/U.S. but are excellent. They also have dozens of models/options. Google up "Nokia Boots". You'll see they have quite a variety. Everything from lightweight summer models (Finnjagd); Finntrim; to Tuura with a fixed felt; to Naali (heavy duty); and the one I have is I believe the Kaira in OD green. They also come with straight pull-on; rear/top laced models and the tightening side-strap models to keep your foot odor from "stove-piping". Also, for whatever reason, they have options for a reflective top strip as well as studded versions. I'm talking removable metal studs just like on studded snow tires. I tried them but found they were similar to ice skates and rather slippery on ice. I see there is a distributor in Ontario, Canada with a toll-free number at: 888-262-5557; email at brushey@onlink.net. I'm sure he could update you and answer various questions on the new varieties and options. I just wanted you guys to know I don't have any affiliation with the company, nor do I know what the present quality control is like. I just know they used to make a great all-rubber knee-high comfy hunting boot. I'll say this, the removable felt insert was VERY comfortable to walk in; molded to your foot shape; didn't rub or chaff; gave great ankle support, scent retention and was plenty warm for most fall hunting temps.. Oh, one other thing, any rubber boot will eventually leak and/or dry-rot. I've found the best product to fix holes/leaks is 3M Marine Adhesive Sealant 5200. It's watertight, and bonds/seals to multiple surfaces and ends up giving you a flexible, completely waterproof patch. Good stuff. BW

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2015, 8:44 pm 

Barry funny you wrote this about the Nokoia boots. My brother Dan and I got them back in the early 80's for the same reasons you mention, I love the removable felt packs. I still wear mine every fall for but the rubber is finally breaking down and so went to the company to get a new ones last fall. I went through the Ontario company you mention here. The only difference I see in them is the felt pack is a little shorter in height, my old felts fit in them perfect. I am now good for another 40 years.

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2015, 1:57 pm 

This might be a double post as I just sent one in and it apparently didn't go thru. Anyway, the model Nokia I stated about as having was not the Kaira's afterall but rather the Retki model. I also understand they quit making the Retki. Typical... find something good and they stop making it. bw

PostPosted: April 4th, 2015, 10:04 am 

Well when you wait thirty years to order your next pair you might think they would make a change. I can tell you though that they still make a really nice rubber boot. I am not sure the model I purchased last year but it is similar to the old boot. The boot is black and not green now and the felt pack is about two inches shorter. Still my favorite boot of all time.

PostPosted: April 4th, 2015, 7:18 pm 

Finally got around to trying the Lacrosse Aerohead boots out today.

When I went to put them on, I put a pair of felted wool insoles in them. the fit was pretty darn good. I wear a 13 C boot, and these felt good. At first, it felt like I was walking on sponges, but that feeling went away pretty quick. Actually, by the time I got all the tools out to spread mulch, I had forgot I was even wearing new boots.

5 yards of mulch spread in them, then I decided to start clearing some brush from the swamp. In all, I spent nearly 5 hours in the boots. The only time I realized they were on was when I put them on and went to take them off. Constant wheelbarrow pushing...up and down small elevation changes and sidehilling them too...and no issues, and quite a bit of time clearin brush from the swamp behind the house and no issues to speak of.

Took them off and the insides were drenched. I removed the wool insoles, and set them to the side to dry. That is a huge plus with these Wool insoles, it helps dry the boots out quicker. I own a few pairs of the insoles so a new, dry pair, is easily had for each time I need to put them on. I then took some news paper and loosely stuffed it inside the boots to soak up the remaining moisture. I have a boot dryer, but wanted to try what I will have available in hunting camp. I don't believe they will be this wet when hunting do to me moving/working a whole lot less.

I'd say that I was VERY pleased with these boots. I then sat down for a hour to relax before we headed out to go to a birthday party for one of the neighbor kids.

I got up to get ready to leave, and my feet hurt. Not like blister or hotspot hurt, but the feeling you get when you overwork certain muscles in your body. The only thing I can tribute the pain to is the lack of a solid sole. I've got some ideas to toughen my feet up this summer, and I'm looking forward to seeing how these boots perform this coming hunting season.

After walking around in my regular hiker boots at the party, my feet were back to normal. In all, I would have to say these boots were a good purchase.

PostPosted: May 22nd, 2015, 12:48 pm 

Have had AlphabBurly for about ten years and time to look at new boot this thread will help. 8-) :mrgreen:

PostPosted: June 8th, 2015, 8:39 pm 

Mike Vines wrote:
Finally got around to trying the Lacrosse Aerohead boots out today.

When I went to put them on, I put a pair of felted wool insoles in them. the fit was pretty darn good. I wear a 13 C boot, and these felt good. At first, it felt like I was walking on sponges, but that feeling went away pretty quick. Actually, by the time I got all the tools out to spread mulch, I had forgot I was even wearing new boots.

5 yards of mulch spread in them, then I decided to start clearing some brush from the swamp. In all, I spent nearly 5 hours in the boots. The only time I realized they were on was when I put them on and went to take them off. Constant wheelbarrow pushing...up and down small elevation changes and sidehilling them too...and no issues, and quite a bit of time clearin brush from the swamp behind the house and no issues to speak of.

Took them off and the insides were drenched. I removed the wool insoles, and set them to the side to dry. That is a huge plus with these Wool insoles, it helps dry the boots out quicker. I own a few pairs of the insoles so a new, dry pair, is easily had for each time I need to put them on. I then took some news paper and loosely stuffed it inside the boots to soak up the remaining moisture. I have a boot dryer, but wanted to try what I will have available in hunting camp. I don't believe they will be this wet when hunting do to me moving/working a whole lot less.

I'd say that I was VERY pleased with these boots. I then sat down for a hour to relax before we headed out to go to a birthday party for one of the neighbor kids.

I got up to get ready to leave, and my feet hurt. Not like blister or hotspot hurt, but the feeling you get when you overwork certain muscles in your body. The only thing I can tribute the pain to is the lack of a solid sole. I've got some ideas to toughen my feet up this summer, and I'm looking forward to seeing how these boots perform this coming hunting season.

After walking around in my regular hiker boots at the party, my feet were back to normal. In all, I would have to say these boots were a good purchase.

Mike, I almost got the air head version but wanted the plain green not the camo look ...but my experience has not lessened after these few months. Wore them every day and walked MILES at PARADISE hog hunting.....then wore them daily for bear hunt and after I shot my bear walked 3 miles out to contact guide on cell....never a blister or hot spot. Then put them on porch of cabin to air out and they were good as new next day. Love them...

USAF (Retired)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2