It is currently October 18th, 2017, 2:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Moose hunting "office"
PostPosted: March 7th, 2015, 11:17 am 

Membership Status: Regular Member
Is it just me, or does everyone enjoy the Prehunt rituals as much as the actual hunt itself?

My office this morning...(yes, all pertinent info has been selectively hidden from view). :-)

I've been taking advantage of the last of the COLD days here in Michigan and this time to figure out my setup this coming fall. I just realized it has been 5 hours of "work" this morning and it felt like only 15 minutes (Why can't the real job be like this most days?) BUT, I now have 4 distinct spots picked out. One for any wind blowing from any of the major compass points. Now to use satellite images (you all should really check out Flashearth.com everywhere you click, it will give you the exact grid coordinates for that location. That way you can load them into your GPS and move forward from there.

The next step in the plan, takes place in August. My wife, 2 boys (11&10) and I will fly into this place, unload our stuff for a week long scouting/fishing extravaganza. Some of you already know this, but those that don't, here is a good laugh. My wife is not really the camping type. She is much more the "Glamping" type (Glamorous Camping...Read that as in a hotel). I'm planning to inform here that there is no plumbing OR electricity as soon as the float plane lifts off to fly out. If she knows that now, her going would be done and we wouldn't get to spend good quality time, together, as a family. Besides, her mind is full of visions of black bears wanting to get in the cabin, and I don't want to clutter her mind with to much stuff. Part of the experience is the unknown.

Now to clean up the office and go work on my Mom's home, which I am so fortunate to have right next door to us.

Have a great weekend guys, it's not to long till bowfishing will be in full swing...I HOPE!!!!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: March 7th, 2015, 11:32 am 

Ha Mike, I had to read this one to Jill....Oh, the similarities!!!!!

PostPosted: March 7th, 2015, 12:38 pm 

This is all attributable to the current full moon, cabin fever, and the fact that next Friday is the 13th. Mike: hang in there buddy...you're gonna be okay soon!

PostPosted: March 7th, 2015, 2:13 pm 

Membership Status: Associate Member
Almost anything that happens outdoors can produce fond memories. When a I was about 14 or so and living in Colorado, we talked my mom into taking us camping up on Rabbit Ears Pass above Steamboat Springs. We set up two tents in the afternoon, made supper, and a nice evening campfire. As soon as it was dusk, the coyotes started in, like usual, but in great numbers. As the evening progressed, they grew more numerous and vocal. It seemed like there were a dozen or more at Point blank range with many more headed our way. This went on all night long, and even included some in camp visits by the 'yotes. The next day, when we had more time to explore the area around camp, we discovered that there was a dead range cow about 75 yards downwind of camp in some timber. We didn't know it was there obviously, but every coyote for miles around certainly did. We'll always remember the night of the hungry coyotes. Never did get my sister back out into a tent after that, but we thought it was a great experience.

PostPosted: March 7th, 2015, 7:47 pm 

Good times right there!

PostPosted: March 7th, 2015, 9:20 pm 

Mike, THAT is a great story.