It is currently September 22nd, 2017, 3:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: February 28th, 2015, 10:22 am 

Membership Status: Associate Member
I have never owned a set of rain gear that I have been completely happy with. I have a Columbia Gortex set that leaked at the seams from new. A Three Rivers set that keeps me dry. It is nice and quiet but the knap sucks up water and weighs 20 pounds when wet and takes days to dry. I have an Under Armour set that works ok at keeping dry but the cut of the sleeves was never designed for a bow hunter (bought it sight unseen on a recommendation).

I have a two week hunt booked for Sitka deer on the Queen Charlotte Islands come November and all of the reading I have done indicates that I can expect rain and possibly lots of it. I'd like some advice from any of you who hunt the Pacific coast as far as what you have found as being quiet, waterproof, properly cut, rain gear.

I know that Sitka Gear, Kuiu and Kryptek offer some high priced "technical" gear. I don't buy into the marketing hype. I would much prefer a recommendation from a member who has actually used rain gear under demanding conditions actually hunting. I know that the Helly Hanson Impertec is often held up as being what Alaskan fishermen use but I have not found any that were cut to allow drawing a bow.

Any direction or advice is appreciated.

Regards,
Dan

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: February 28th, 2015, 7:30 pm 

Dan, about 20 years ago I bought some Peter Storm raingear that's made in England, I think. Have used it in Alaska, Canadia, lower 48 and took it to OZ but never used it over there. Probably the best quality least problematic of any raingear I've ever owned.

Don't know if it's still made or where you can get it, but I usually find that if something is realy good, they quit making it.

The odd thing about my outfit is that the jacket has a left handed zipper. A little hard to use. Off course, they drive on the left side of the road over there, and an English guy told me it was a womans zipper. Are all UK women lefties??

PostPosted: February 28th, 2015, 8:02 pm 
Site Admin

Membership Status: Life Member
Same stuff I mentioned to you in the pm, Dan. There are also cuffs that get wet but its been great otherwise.

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2015, 3:45 pm 

Well, Mark it seems just like you suggested, Peter Storm is out of business. The internet suggests that there are still some "Clearance Sales" in the UK but I cannot find anything in Canada.

Perhaps I'll get a few more responses to my question from this board but will continue my research. There is still lots of time between now and November.

Thanks to both of your for your response.

Dan

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2015, 9:22 pm 

Hi Dan ,

I'm with you on rain gear, never quite satisfied. I've got a number of different sets from Marmot Precip on the light end to heavy duty Helly Hansen on the heavy end.

My favorites right now are 2 very different styles. For very active mountain hunting I use a Kuiu Yukon jacket. It's very light, almost quiet, has zippered pockets, close fitting, and doesn't gain much weight when wet. And very expensive.

For hunting that is not as active and likely to be walking in very wet vegetation a lot, like for moose or brown bear, I like a Grunden's Petrus HD 44 jacket. It is pretty light and stretchy but heavy enough to provide kindof a weather shield as well as keeping you dry. The internal neoprene wrist cuffs are awesome for keeping warmth in and water out. No pockets, and depending on what you where under it and how you are built it might blouse a little bit. Reasonably priced. Hope this helps with the search.

Tim

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2015, 10:20 am 

Membership Status: Life Member
Dan, I purchased a set of Peter Storm back in the early 90s (before the seams were welded). It served me well for a number of years, but it did leak at the seams. I now wear Helly Hansen as do a number of guys from AK and it keeps me dry. I would stick with the recommendations of the AK members listed above.

"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his power." -Ephesians 6:10
"Be Bold and mighty forces will come to your aid." - Goethe
"A lot of the physical is mental" - IronMind

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2015, 1:37 pm 

Tim:

Thanks for the tip on the Grundens. I really like the looks of it and it may very well suit my needs right down to the ground. I like the fact that it does not have a lot of pockets. I have a short thick upper body and I shoot relatively long bows. I have difficulty getting string clearance on garments that either have pockets on the left chest or D rings, or those jackets that have big billowing sleeves ( which is the issue with the Under Armour ).

I wrote Grundens an email asking who in Canada sold their product. The reply I got was " We are an American Company". I will phone them and see if I can get a little more informative response. Certainly I can order either HH or Grundens from the USA direct but if I can physically see the stuff would be my preference.

Everyone, thanks for your help. Should anyone have anything to add I would appreciate it. I am not leaving on this trip until November so don't mind doing the research in order to find quality stuff that works. The price is not the priority.

Regards,
Dan

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2015, 4:03 pm 

Membership Status: Regular Member
I have yet to find a set of hunting rain gear from any manufacturer that I was satisfied with.

Its all either too tight, too big, to heavy when wet, to fragile or wasn't water proof, which one would assume is the number 1 priority when designing rain gear, lol--

I am going to buy a set of rain gear this year and still have no clue what I will buy--

I believe that if a guy is going to really have the rain gear void covered in his hunting clothing arsenal he will have to have a light weight and packable set and a more robust set of rain gear that you would wear when hunting or sitting all day in the rain.

The most waterproof rain gear I have ever owned is various and assorted pieces of Patagonia waterproof clothing-My Patagonia Jackets that I have wore while steelhead fishing is the absolute best stuff I have encountered, but as of today, they don't make true hunting rain gear. BUT, rumor is, by the founder of the company, Patagonia will be entering the hunting clothing market soon.

The biggest problem I have noticed about people and their raingear is that the user doesnt realize you need to retreat the garments at least once per season, and in truth, if you wear it in the rain a lot, a couple times per season.

Whatever you buy, keep it clean, air dry it when you are home and retreat is whenever it starts to absorb rather than repel water and you will be much happier with the product-

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2015, 9:35 pm 

I have a friend who lives on POW Island, and spends a large part of the year in the bush either hunting or for work. He swears by his Grunden's. Not the lightest, quietest, nor the most breatheable, but it is very durable, and will keep you dry.

chris <><

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2015, 11:51 pm 

So far I love my First Lite Stormtight.

PostPosted: March 4th, 2015, 4:53 pm 

Mark Ulschmid wrote:
Dan, about 20 years ago I bought some Peter Storm raingear that's made in England, I think. Have used it in Alaska, Canadia, lower 48 and took it to OZ but never used it over there. Probably the best quality least problematic of any raingear I've ever owned.

Don't know if it's still made or where you can get it, but I usually find that if something is realy good, they quit making it.

The odd thing about my outfit is that the jacket has a left handed zipper. A little hard to use. Off course, they drive on the left side of the road over there, and an English guy told me it was a womans zipper. Are all UK women lefties??

Mark,

A bit off topic, but all womens clothing is like that. A man's dress shirt has buttons on the right hand side and the button holes on the left hand side. For women it is the opposite. Zippers on pants are the same way.

We now return you to the previously scheduled discussion...

Larry

PostPosted: March 5th, 2015, 7:11 pm 

Rubber rain gear with welded seams is the only true water proof garment there is. The problem is it doesn't breath and you will get damp from perspiration and will need to dry out from time to time. Grundens is what I use when I am at work but in no way am I taking it on a hunting trip (too heavy and too Orange). Many people here in Alaska use Helly Hansen Impertech. For the price its a lot of bang for your buck. There is no such thing as "Breathable Water Proof".

PostPosted: March 7th, 2015, 8:41 am 

Membership Status: Regular Member
I have a set of the Peter Storm that I actually won at one of our Gatherings. I found them too noisy for hunting and would never have considered wearing them in heavy thorn infested brush like in some of the habitats in the NW. They look like they'd get torn to shreds and leave you high and dry (or maybe that should be low and wet.)

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Cabela's MT050. Mine is an older set and has been worn in heavy rains in NW Territories on long, wet boat rides on two separate occasions... and worn days at a time. They've been worn through tag alders and devil's club in AK for a couple of weeks and have held up well... and kept me dry. And I used them locally for many years when the weather demanded.

I'd be curious to know if anyone has had problems with it. Fore sure, I haven't. I'm very satisfied with the product.

PostPosted: March 7th, 2015, 9:38 am 

My thanks to all of you for your opinions and options. I spent a considerable amount of time reading countless reviews on a dozen or more web sights. From Hiking to Mountain Climbing, Cycling to Motorcycling, Fishing to Hunting web sights I was amazed at the variety of opinions and the amount of conflicting information! One reviewer would rave over a given manufacturer and model and then someone on a different sight would tell of their extreme disappointment regarding the very same gear.

The difficulty was trying to interpret how valid the comments were and the degree of experience the author of the review had. I put more credit into a review that was written by someone hunting sheep at 14,000 feet than I did someone riding a bicycle in Malibu. The true reality is that you could spend a year of so testing all of the available rain gear, in all the available high tech fabrics, in all of the climates and terrain and come to the conclusion that you really need three of four sets of the stuff!

I finally settled on the Helly Hansen. Out of all the comments on all of the forums HH got the most recommendations from the most people who's experience level and applications impressed me. Those recommendations and the fact that HH is available here in Canada ( Grundens stuff was neck and neck but is unavailable here) and I was able to try it on, made my choice. Camo was not available but that was not a priority for me. I ended up with a neutral shade of Grey jacket and black bibs.

Thank you all,
Dan

PostPosted: March 16th, 2015, 9:55 am 

I really like my Boundary Stormtight rain gear from First Lite. Used it fly fishing the other day and stage perfect dry, it inexplicably breathes well too?!?

Cant wait to really put it through the paces spring bear hunting this year

Aim for the spot on the spot