It is currently September 24th, 2017, 7:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: February 28th, 2015, 7:15 pm 

Membership Status: Associate Member
So, Mike, do you grow your beard in the spring and summer and shave it off when it gets cold??

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: February 28th, 2015, 7:17 pm 

Membership Status: Regular Member
Mark Ulschmid wrote:
So, Mike, do you grow your beard in the spring and summer and shave it off when it gets cold??

Nope, I tend to to set trends, not follow them. LOL

PostPosted: February 28th, 2015, 8:15 pm 

Your wife told you it makes you look old. The usuall trend setter.

PostPosted: March 1st, 2015, 11:08 am 

You guys inspire me...and at my age I need something. This was me in 2011:

A little over a year ago I was very dissatisfied with how I was feeling physically. I was fat and having way too many health issues (warnings!) for my comfort. Lots of things were happening and it was probably mainly luck that I escaped without something very severe pulling me down. This had been going on for too long (years) and I'd been ignoring it. I just couldn't get headed in the right direction in the past, but somehow I got lined out and going a year ago. I started today...March 1...and changed how I eat. I didn't use a book, a video, a system or anything someone invented. I figured my own deal out and put it to work for the long haul. Last March 1...I weighed about 260 pounds and was a mess.

By June 20 (Hawaii time) I was at 220 and feeling great. That trip derailed me just a little, but I got back on track immediately. By the time my annual Alaska hunt rolled around I was at 199. During the trip I figured I dropped to nearer 193-195.

It was a pretty good year. All my health symptoms disappeared, and I had energy to burn. I even ran from a grizzly and so can claim that weight loss saved my a....life. Maybe it did or didn't, but it sure made things a lot more pleasant. So 2015....

Keep my weight correct. Get enough exercise. Hike and backpack when I can. Avoid running and activities that are hard on joints. Take care of my back, which has been a past problem. All things in moderation (and sometimes minimal) but enjoy every single day of life. I generally didn't tell many people about what I was doing a year ago, and I still don't talk about it much. A few people (here) knew and were an inspiration to me. They know who they are, and I thank them again. Health is a precious thing!

PostPosted: March 1st, 2015, 6:50 pm 

That's awesome, Kevin!

Get inspired and then own it. That's the real formula.

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2015, 3:25 pm 

That's amazing Kevin. 260 to 195.....that's 65 more pounds of moose meat you can carry now :) . Nice work!

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2015, 10:23 am 

Membership Status: Life Member
Kevin, well done!

"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his power." -Ephesians 6:10
"Be Bold and mighty forces will come to your aid." - Goethe
"A lot of the physical is mental" - IronMind

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2015, 1:38 pm 

I bet Kevin did it so he could fly in more bottles of wine. :lol:
Very impressive all the same.
Good for.

PostPosted: March 5th, 2015, 7:24 pm 

My goal for 2015 is to not get fatter! In all seriousness though I would like to lose weight. Kevin that is very impressive. I hope I can find the will that you found to lose all that weight.

PostPosted: March 9th, 2015, 3:58 pm 

Congrats to all in staying with it. Its good to read this for motivation.

It's been a little bit of a yo-yo for me the last few years.
Early 2011- 235lbs (only 5'-6" so I was a little round but hey its a shape right)
Late 2011 - 178lbs and completed a sprint tri
2012 - big project at work so back to 195ish
2013 - started getting back to the swim/bike/run thing but diagnosed with cancer throat cancer in May. Treatment until August and recovery rest of year - down into the 130s.
2014 - started back to work and back to working out and built back to 155ish and a sprint tri in Aug. Successful elk hunt in MT in Sept. Up to 160ish by December.
2015 - I'm around 172 right now and biking, running, and lifting up to 6 days a week. Work and family sometimes change this but I tend to get back to it.
Always tracked my calories using Lose-it.com but really focused on nutrients in 2013 and have kept with it. Hope to do a few sprint tri's this year and maybe a 1/2 marathon (Presque Isle looks good). Plan on more hikes with heavy pack thru the summer and hope to hit CO or MT for elk on a DIY hunt again this fall.

PostPosted: March 9th, 2015, 8:02 pm 

Best of luck Scott,
Sounds like you're winning the war. There is a real lesson in not giving up there!

I've been fortunate to have relatively good health and despite my efforts to do myself in with a few accidents, I've managed to keep two good knees and have the ability to acclimate myself quickly to altitude.

Part of my job is maintaining a wind turbine so climbing is always somewhere on the menu for me.

My last elk hunt was a solo hunt for two weeks at 9600 to 11,000ft. Came close but no pack job for all the efforts. I had to skip a year and now have the itch again.

And so I guess my goal will be to get to elk hunting shape. That will be a loss of 15 Lbs or so along with some foot toughening long distance hikes with heavy packs and poor shoes. I also like stepping over thigh height soybean rows with a pack on. combine that with some bluff work along the river and I'm usually pretty good to go. I find that If I spend two months prior with real dedication towards the end Im pretty well toughened up and good to go.

Best of luck to all on fitness goals. Nothing like a hunting trip to inspire a person to get in shape.

to get in shape.

PostPosted: March 31st, 2015, 4:44 pm 

Holding strong to this year's goal of walking a 100 miles per month, I reached, and exceeded, my goal by logging 118 miles this month. That makes 325 for the year. Having an app on my phone is a huge motivator for me to get up and get moving.

10 1/2 of those miles were at Uncle Barry's whitetail boot camp a couple weeks ago. I was amazed how UB could take off up those hills leaving us to catch up to him.

How is everyone else doing with their goals?

PostPosted: March 31st, 2015, 7:09 pm 

I for one am struggling ,my excuse good or bad is I've got some painfull foot problems plantar faciatus thats not going away with orthotics and knee issues.
That said I have been going to the y and have gained about 15lbs this winter so now am at 250 with gust up to 255.
Got another appointment with foot doctor tommorrow.
But am thoroughly encouraged by Kevins success.

PostPosted: April 1st, 2015, 3:17 am 

Mike Vines your post in early Feb got me to thinking about walking to lose weight and get in better shape for hunting season. This past season I struggled at times to have the energy and drive to enjoy bowhunting like I wanted to. I decided to try the walking method and am pleased to say I have walked 50 miles in March in only 16 days. I hope I can keep up the pace as I am trying to walk 3 miles or more every day. So far, I have lost about 7 pounds and am wearing several pair of work pants I couldn't get buttoned in February. The best part so far is that my energy level is much better than it was before I started. I've still got a ways to go but would like to lose about 20 more pounds. Anyone can do this, you just have to decide what it is you want and not make excuses. Thanks

PostPosted: April 1st, 2015, 2:51 pm 

Anyone can get unhealthy by not maintaining some degree of fitness...I'm a self-acknowledged expert at unhealthy lifestyles. Anyone can also get healthier by taking action...and nobody will ever force you to do it except you. I think the thing people fail to realize is how unhealthy lifestyles and poor fitness slowly siphon off energy... spirit ...willingness and optimism. They also have no way of really knowing what they will experience if they take action, reverse course and start getting in better physical shape. I saw several friends (among them PBS members) who improved their health and fitness in the past 3 years. What I noticed in them was this level of restored youth and happiness. I'm not kidding...you could see a brightness in their eyes and they walked with a happy, confident stride. It was amazing to me, and suddenly I sort of 'got' it. There are huge benefits to health beyond just being healthy.

I need to work harder and do a better job, so I am after it. I've got plenty of adventuring left to do and I need to be reasonably fit to do it.

PostPosted: April 7th, 2015, 6:39 am 

Tim
Have you tried Superfeet insoles - green? I had PF a few years ago as I was getting back to exercising. Changed all my shoes to these and have been pretty much pain free. Now I don't need them for all shoes but most still have them.

PostPosted: April 7th, 2015, 7:10 am 
Site Admin

I have my semi-annual check-up with my doctor next week (have cut out almost all soft drinks and most sweets) and my first race in a month. The race is at a hilly county park close to my house, that I hike with my backpack often. Last year I took some pride in beating a few local runners I know who got bogged down on the steep hills and had to walk. I blew past them at a slow run and was able to hold onto my lead until the end. They whip me on level runs but at least I am better at hills than them, and I know I will see some hills this fall.

Romans 10:15 “.......How beautiful are the feet of those that bring the Good News of Jesus...”

PostPosted: April 7th, 2015, 9:45 pm 

Awesome posts guys!! I've been doing cross fit for about 8 weeks now and absolutely love it! My observations have been identical to Aaron's. After years of running I "thought" I was in decent shape. After a short time at the box I've learned how wrong I was. But I'm seeing gains weekly. I've been eating extremely clean for about 9 weeks now as well and am feeling better than I have in a long time. I've lost about 10 lbs and still need to loose about another 8 to 10 to get where I want to be. When it starts to hurt at the box I just think about chasing elk up a mountain!

Y'all keep up the good work!

PostPosted: April 8th, 2015, 7:50 am 

You guys are kicking butt and taking names. Getting me jacked up to try to take my game to the next level.

Ethan, I'll be excited to hear about your progress with Crossfit. I started following their workouts on the main site before most towns had a box and I really liked Glassman's methodologies. Every workout I do is heavily influenced by that stuff. I've turned people on to it over the years and one of them even went from the couch at 40 to owning his own box and is now a certified instructor. He focuses on kids and older / overweight folks that would never see themselves doing that kind of stuff.

I remember doing a lot of running to get in shape and then hit the continental divide with a heavy back pack and got crushed by the mountain. I had no power. I found crossfit a few months later and realized the benefits of squats and deadlifts and such. I'll do heavy squats this week AND run for miles. It's ALL good for you and our bodies were made for it! Sitting at this desk and computer all day is the assault on my natural system. 12 years ago I would have watched someone do a heavy back squat and thought "that fool is going to blow a knee or throw out his back."

Plantar Fashfoothurtitis.... I started ramping up for a marathon and got it real bad. Got out of the crutches (ie running shoes) and started strengthening my feet and lower legs with the minimalist shoes. That's a hard transition to make but again, just a symptom of what I'd become. I exercise without the crutches now and even when I do long runs of 10 miles or so, I've never gotten it sense, or any other aches and pains from running for that matter. Running injuries seem to be a product of poor form, like almost all injuries.

Through all my experimentation over the last decade or so, I continue to become more convinced that eating and acting naturally and with vigor and variety is the key to preventing all of these injuries and lifestyle maladies.

Keep up the good work, gents!

PostPosted: April 20th, 2015, 8:19 pm 

Well, I sat down to start writing a Fitness Book tonight, but I couldn't come up with anything to fill the pages. So instead, I brainstormed to come up with the ultimate Newsletter.

Now to find a way to market it...

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2015, 9:06 am 

Mike, I like it: wash, rinse and repeat. I am often asked what is the key as if there is a mighty elixir for fitness and strength. The key is to be consistent in your workouts then to be still doing a workout(s) a year, 5 years, 10 years, etc. from when you started in a progressive fashion.

"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his power." -Ephesians 6:10

PostPosted: April 24th, 2015, 1:09 pm 

As I type this, it's the 24th of April and I just reached my "Walk 100 miles a month" goal. With almost a week to rack up more mileage.

As I said before, having a visual aid (my phone with a step/distance App) has been a huge motivator to get up and get moving.

Check out my screenshot that I just took when I reached my 100th mile for April...

All it usually takes is just having a simple goal to reach then build from there.

PostPosted: May 21st, 2015, 8:45 am 

How's everyone progressing with their fitness goals as we head into the summer months or the clubhouse turn? It was funny the other day when my 11 year old son joined me to walk the local sled hill. I always tell him to improve a little bit every day. Well, he asked how many times I planned on walking the hill and I responded with ten. He said don't you need to do it eleven times as last time you walked it ten. HA! It's good to have a kid keep you in check.

I am making good progress on my nail bending having bent the IronMind yellow nail and making progress on the IronMind blue nail. The 60 penny nail is just a matter of time! This is something I do every other day when I get to the bottom of the sled hill. I hope everyone is moving forward.

PostPosted: May 21st, 2015, 8:52 am 

What is the "Nail Bend" you mention?

PostPosted: May 21st, 2015, 12:07 pm 

I am down 45# from last hunting season, and last weekend ran my first ever Spartan Race (basically an obstacle course through the mountains for 5 miles) up near Kalispell, which is beautiful country that I will hunt this year for muley's.

It completely whipped me, but what a feeling of accomplishment when my wife and I jumped over the finish line. Motivated me to do "The Beast" next year which is a 13 miler through the same terrain.

Need to cut out the soda pop, milk n sugar from my coffee but other than that am doing pretty good. I am 6'1" about 225# right now and would like to get down real close to 200# before elk season. I have a football players body (think tree trunks for a lower half) but need to get rid of this extra stuff around the mid section.

Bear hunting has been a ton of fun, breaking in my new Kenetrek boots and testing out equipment/honing my spot and stalk capabilities.

I've really been trying to shoot my new TallTines at least once a day, even if it's only 5-6 GOOD arrows. What a magnificent sight watching those arrows arc through the air from a perfectly tuned bow. Now to just have a screaming bull @ the other end of my sight picture!

Keep it up guys, 3.5 months until the opener of elk season!!!!!

Aim for the spot on the spot

PostPosted: May 21st, 2015, 2:22 pm 

Jacob, you're making impressive strides. Mike, you grab a nail or steel rod with padding on each end then proceed to bend without bracing either hand until the ends are no more than 2" from touching each end. It will greatly increases your lower arm strength and upper body strength. It's been when your bending strength is strong you are strong. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgA8W5H4_j4

PostPosted: May 21st, 2015, 2:58 pm 
Site Admin

Good job guys! Unfortunately I am behind schedule in my goals, really need to kick it in gear! I missed the first race in order to chase hogs and turkeys with some PBS buddies. Last weekend I chased turkeys in the mountains of PA with yet another PBS buddy and did pretty well. Gonna cut and bale hay next week, which will be a good work out. I laugh when my teenage kids whine "Dad, why do you square bale when EVERYBODY else round bales nowadays?" I love telling them to be quiet and sling some hay already, and that if a nearly 50 year old man can do it, surely a teenager can do it. Then I crank the baler down a little more and make the bales even heavier. Ha ha. Yep, they love it......

Romans 10:15 “.......How beautiful are the feet of those that bring the Good News of Jesus...”

PostPosted: May 21st, 2015, 8:07 pm 

Holchin, if you need me to start riding herd on you to step it up, you know I'm capable. :mrgreen:

Side notes...
I think I have your headlamp. If so, send me your address.
Find the bear fence.

JT out.........

PostPosted: May 22nd, 2015, 11:00 pm 

I'm down 18 lbs now, and still going strong at Crossfit. I'm really liking it, and loving the results. You actually log in each day you work out, and you can track your progress over time. It's nice to be able to see hard results on your progress, and I'm a little surprised by my gains! I started going 5 days a week starting this past week. I wish I could post pics on here!!

How's everyone else doing?

PostPosted: May 29th, 2015, 8:37 am 

Ethan, Crossfit is great stuff. I sort of have my own in the garage. My exercise/strength endurance foundation is based on using various exercises in what I call supersets or combination sets with little or no rest in between sets.