It is currently October 18th, 2017, 5:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: February 13th, 2015, 1:27 pm 
Site Admin

Membership Status: Regular Member
Having just completed the GA hog hunt with 12 other PBS bowhunters, in an area that was surprisingly physically demanding, I was reminded of what I already knew: the better shape that your are in, the better you can hunt and more importantly, enjoy your hunt. After a day or two of struggling through boot-sucking mud and muck, many of us had sore legs, hips and joints. In the evenings and mornings, I heard the "snap, crackle and pop" of stiff joints. I vowed that I needed to get in better shape. Don't we all make such promises to ourselves? One of the hunters was talking about his plans to hunt really hard the next 10 years, while he is in good physical shape. I want to do that also, as I turn 49 next month.

I was reading the local paper and saw where the county rec department is starting a competition where one can enter various races throughout the year and earn points for simply competing, more points for placing, and a lot of points for entering five or more events. I hate running but I like competing and want to end the year much more physically fit than I entered it. So I am going to enter this competition. I also am going to change my eating habits; no more soft drinks for the rest of the year, more fruits and veggies and less processed foods. My sweet tooth is killing me, I need to cut out the sugar.

How about you, what will you do to improve your physical fitness?

Romans 10:15 “.......How beautiful are the feet of those that bring the Good News of Jesus...”

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: February 13th, 2015, 1:47 pm 

Jeff I think you should go down to hog island fill up a 55 go drum with pluf mud take it home and practice getting in and out that will get you in shape :))

Member of NRA

PostPosted: February 13th, 2015, 2:02 pm 

My goal this year was a simple one. Walk at least a 100 miles per month. With today's technology, it is simple to track. I have an app on my phone, which is always with me, that records how many steps and distance plus a bunch of other junk. The app is called Walklogger. It's free and pretty darn accurate.

So far this year, I have walked 157 miles with 51 of them (as of right now) being this month alone. Not bad in the middle of winter with the temps hovering around 20° and a LOT less.

I do not run, I will not practice running. When I left the Army in 1994, I made that commitment to myself, and I'm PROUD to say I have not broke that commitment (sure there have been a few days I walk faster than normal, but that's it, LOL!!!). If I ever have to run, I'm pretty sure I can remember how to do it, similar to riding a bike.

Honestly, I have always spent a lot of time on my feet and got to wondering how much time. So I looked into ways to find out. That's how I came up with a free solution. Also, having a goal is a motivator when I can easily have a visual reference as to why I shouldn't sit down, but keep moving to not only meet, but surpass the goal.

I handled the food issues last year and I'm pleased with the results after doing a ton of experimenting with what foods are good AND bad for me. Mental toughness is the name of that game.

Last edited by Mike Vines on February 13th, 2015, 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: February 13th, 2015, 4:41 pm 
Site Admin

My running continues, as well as, my taekwondo. I just turned 40. I have 4 half marathons on the schedule this spring - and I am hoping to do my first full marathon this fall (before hunting season) -haven't picked the race yet. I also plan to earn my 2nd degree black belt this year to (hopefully in a few months). I had targeted the Cleveland full marathon this spring, but I pushed a little too hard. Tried to do a 15 miler and a TKD class in the same day and had a slight tear in my calf. I've been sidelined for 3 weeks. I have done nothing but eat and get fat while recovering. But I'm back at it now; did a 5 miler yesterday and felt good. Fitness goals are back on.

Would also like to get solidly under 200 this year. The difference between 210-ish and just under 200 doesn't seem like much, but I keep thinking that if I could carry the equivalent of one less bowling ball for 26.2 miles, it would probably make a big difference.

... ALL of this is done for hunting. TKD gives strength and flexibility; running provides cardio, endurance, and mental toughness. My hypothesis is that if I can keep setting goals like these each year, I will may be able to hunt until I'm as ancient as Mr. Dave Watson ;)

The Twisted Stave
Golden Specialties

PostPosted: February 13th, 2015, 5:53 pm 

Like Mike I was able to quit running cold turkey with no problem. Twenty nine years ago or 50lbs which ever you prefer I ran the presque isle marathon, (Ted look into this one it is completely flat now vs 29 yrs ago.)
On this past hog hunt I saw how everyone else seemed to be in better shape than I.
Also setting 3d targets out on snowshoes these past few days has me huffing and puffing.
Julian Matt and Duane seemed to be eating right.
So Jeff you are spot on need to eat better and exersise daily.
Maybe we should have a biggest loser contest lol..
I guess I will go finish up the oreos so as not to be tempted tommorrow by them.

PostPosted: February 13th, 2015, 10:02 pm 

Membership Status: Associate Member
I was running 3 miles every other day last summer for elk season plus walking. I have an advantage at living at altitude. I did not get tired at the hog hunt physically but I will sleep all the time because of my call schedule. After years of really bad varicose veins, I am going have my sapheinous veins ablated in April. The surgeon said my legs will not feel as heavy and my circulation will improve. So, I am waiting until that is done before I try anything. I think my training this year will be more climbing with a load.

PostPosted: February 14th, 2015, 8:29 am 

Glad you are getting serious, Jeff. I do think running as a primary exercise regimen to become fit is risky. I've experimented with lots of things over the last decade and while I think we were "born to run", I think modern running shoes and running with poor form when you aren't in shape to get in shape is begging for pain and injury. I'd try to do more cross training with a focus on full body functional movements as a first phase approach. Slowly build running into your regimen and become a form nazi in everything you do. When form starts to break down, stop the movement!

PostPosted: February 14th, 2015, 9:41 am 

Membership Status: Life Member
I will continue to try to do something every day while alternating tough days with medium/light days. Even with my business travel, I either put a kettle bell in the back seat to use once I arrive at my destination, do isometrics while traveling (steering wheel) or body weight exercises. You have to be willing to use your imagination. My focus for the past 5 years has been endurance strength with very little rest in between sets. I see no reason to change at this point, but will continue to try to add either weight, reps or sets to each exercise. I don't believe in the maintenance theory baloney.

As for strength goals, they are grip related: close the Ironmind #3 gripper and bend a 60 penny nail.

"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his power." -Ephesians 6:10
"Be Bold and mighty forces will come to your aid." - Goethe
"A lot of the physical is mental" - IronMind

PostPosted: February 14th, 2015, 11:27 am 
Site Admin

Julian Tisdale wrote:
Glad you are getting serious, Jeff. I do think running as a primary exercise regimen to become fit is risky. I've experimented with lots of things over the last decade and while I think we were "born to run", I think modern running shoes and running with poor form when you aren't in shape to get in shape is begging for pain and injury. I'd try to do more cross training with a focus on full body functional movements as a first phase approach. Slowly build running into your regimen and become a form nazi in everything you do. When form starts to break down, stop the movement!

I'm a runner and I totally agree. Just like shooting a bow, form is critical. Everything in your body is connected and when something is weak, imbalanced, or hurt; you will get injured somewhere else. Running isn't right for everyone, but if you do it carefully and build miles slowly, it is a great way to workout - you don't need any equipment, can do it anywhere, your outside, etc. lots of psychological well being benefits on top of the physical stuff ... But as Julian said, it can be flat out dangerous too if your not careful.

... Definitely recommend hooking up with a local running shop program for as long as you can stand it. You will learn a lot about proper training. Eventually, you will want to shoot yourself because 90% of the people there are other people's 45 year old wives ... Doesn't get much more annoying than that, but you will learn a lot about training safely from good coaches.

The Twisted Stave
Golden Specialties

PostPosted: February 14th, 2015, 1:05 pm 

My goal is pain driven. I am doing isometrics and dumbells/kettlebells to strengthen my leg muscles to help support my knees. I have gone through shots in both knees... cortisone for 9 months, then went to orthovisc injections for a month. The first shots gave me some relief at first, the orthovisc did nothing. Double knee replacement is in my near future.

I will be 60 this year and can retire with full benefits at 62, but I am not sure I can make it there. I have began to look into disability retirement, but to receive disability I need to be out of work for 6 months. My daughter is getting married in Nov. and "Daddy" really can't afford to be without income for 6 months. I am working 4-10 hour days right now and getting through the fourth day is a struggle. Friday has become a day to rest and try to heal up a bit.

This is really disgusting for me as the rest of my body is in pretty good shape. Dec. of 2013 I went through a complete physical prior to starting the injections. The doctor told me that my heart and lungs were 35 years old, but my knees are 85! At least the really important stuff is still working good! :)

Through exercise and therapy I am going to try to make it at least past my daughters wedding, but the pain is really starting to get to me. I average walking 3 miles a days and a good bit of that is up and down ladders/stairs. The ladders are easier on my than the stairs. Up isn't bad, but down hurts!@#!

Good luck to all in achieving your fitness goals! Mike

PostPosted: February 14th, 2015, 1:18 pm 

I am in fairly good shape, but am wanting to get in very good shape for elk season this year. This means plenty of trips to the gym and plenty of time spent with a weight vest on. Hopefully this equals the level I fitness I need to really push it during the trip, and hopefully pack out a few elk on the back.

PostPosted: February 15th, 2015, 10:49 am 

Chi running, mountain athlete and 40 lb weight vest training. I try do a little bit of all.

PostPosted: February 16th, 2015, 1:40 am 

I'm in my 3rd month of swimming laps at a new Rec Centre on my way home after work. I can't run any more and all my joints hurt. Some cardio and hopefully increasing my lung capacity.

PostPosted: February 16th, 2015, 7:08 am 

I spent my whole life up to about age 37 as a runner. Competed all through high school and went to college on a track scholarship. Afterward ran numerous races each year tried to fit a couple marathons in. I got hit by a car on a traffic stop one night by a D.U.I. and running stopped immediately. Jacked my right knee up. I picked up about 35 pounds in the first six months as my metabolism had been geared to burning calories on the road for most of my life. I had another surgery on the knee last summer and I can get around better but my running days are over.

Getting ready for elk hunting this past summer and on the hunt itself I lost a total of 23 pounds. Sitting in tree stands or the sofa this fall I have picked about half of it back up. My problem isn't sodas so much as it is beer. I like a good dark beer. I have done as Jeff did and done a little introspective analysis recently. I am 56 and want to enjoy hunting for as long as possible and I think getting in the best shape I can and loosing about 30 pounds is the way to go to achieve that goal.

The hog hunt was an eye opener and a turning point for me as well. I have always prided myself on being able to walk further, faster than anyone else in the mountains of Va. and tote or drag heavier loads. That last evening, getting my hog out of the nasty mud and dragging it to the boat was an embarrassment to me. Julian helped me and carried most of the load. Between trying to drag the hog in knee deep mud and keep my footing or grip on the pig, I had to stop every 50 yards or so.

When we got back from the hog hunt I decided to get serious. Trying to eat better. I have several advantages.... I am recently retired, the weather is bitter cold and snowy so not much to do outside and I have a full gym in my basement. I set myself up a full routine for this winter, and have been sticking with it pretty religiously. I did 40 minutes on my elliptical and then another 45 on the weights yesterday afternoon. Hopefully I will keep with it and be in a lot better shape next year when I help drag Julian's hog out of the marsh!

PostPosted: February 16th, 2015, 10:32 am 
Site Admin

I walked my dogs for an hour both days this weekend and this morning with a loaded backpack, and walked some hills with it last night with my wife, at a brisk pace. That felt good, although my shins are sore. The first local 5k race is not until May 9 so I will work on my form and get in some running miles until I can easily do 5k. I like bike riding but around my home, but it is only safe to ride early on weekends when most folks sleep in. Gonna work on core strength also. I want to be able to hunt hard for another 10 to 20 years if possible.

Romans 10:15 “.......How beautiful are the feet of those that bring the Good News of Jesus...”

PostPosted: February 16th, 2015, 11:28 am 

Well Jeff..... them is a pair of runners feet if I ever did see one! :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: February 16th, 2015, 5:20 pm 

MViehweg wrote:
, do isometrics while traveling (steering wheel)

What is this that you speak of?

PostPosted: February 16th, 2015, 11:09 pm 

After about two years putting up with Plantar Faciatis I have finally gotten over it!!!!! I've started limiting running, 2 miles at most and am excited to get back to it. I was supposed to start Crossfit today, but with the snow and ice they cancelled the start up class. Hopefully Wednesday!!

PostPosted: February 17th, 2015, 7:27 am 

This is a good thread, good motivation for me to continue "staying in shape".
Someone told me long ago, "if you want to get in shape....stay in shape".
For me it's staying as active as I can. In the summer, I enjoy cycling. I try to ride at least 500 miles in the summer. I am going to shoot for 1000miles this summer.
I don't like to work out inside, ie gym's, so in the winter, I do a lot of XC skiing, great work out! If I don't have time for a ski, I put on the snowshoes, and head out behind the house, and walk the 60 acre alfalfa field. Another great workout.
To heat my house, I burn wood, so in the summer, fall and winter, it's cutting, splitting and stacking wood. I put up 7.5 cord this year. All hand split and stacked by hand.Great for the upper body!
I turn 43 in a month, and I want to bowhunt for another 40 years. It's my opinion that if I don't start healthy habits now, I won't be able to later in life.

Stay active.....

chris <><

PostPosted: February 17th, 2015, 10:05 am 

Mike, I grab the steering wheel in various locations like the numbers on a clock with the hands in opposite positions either pulling out or pressing inward for a duration of 10 to 15 minutes. For instance, I pull in at full exertion for a count of 5 for 10 reps. Then, I will pull out with the same hand position for ten reps then move my hands and start again.

Chris, I would suggest during the summer to push the round bales in the alfalfa field back and forth for half an hour or more after gaining permission from the farmer.

Randy, dragging exercises are a great workout as you mentioned the difficulty with your hog. We all know how hard it can be to drag an animal out of the woods. I have a regular car tire rigged up with chain and a handle for dragging forward/backward. I put weight plates on top of the tire then add weight as needed. You could also get sand bags to place in the tire instead of weights. I ordered 15 sandbags off of Amazon yesterday for less than a dollar a piece including shipping. The difficulty of the exercise will vary from the distance of the handle to the tire and the surface (friction) being dragged on. Depending on space, I do drags for time and distance. Dragging a steel pipe is another exercise that has great benefits. Ask Paul Ladner what my backyard looked like in Galesburg, IL from dragging various implements. The neighbors will certainly give you a wide berth!

"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his power." -Ephesians 6:10

PostPosted: February 17th, 2015, 10:07 am 

I meant push in at full exertion. :roll:

PostPosted: February 17th, 2015, 11:29 am 

Despite all posts:

"... Definitely recommend hooking up with a local running shop program for as long as you can stand it. You will learn a lot about proper training. Eventually, you will want to shoot yourself because 90% of the people there are other people's 45 year old wives ... Doesn't get much more annoying than that, but you will learn a lot about training safely from good coaches.
"

the thing about 45 year old wives....that will stick with me (very funny). Worth getting through the other posts about working out, or whatever this thread is about..

But seriously;
I just saw a high school buddy who lost about 40 lbs. He said that a calorie/food counter App did it for him.
Then Mr. Vines mentioning of the App 'Walklogger'.

Maybe my motivation/discipline may be discovered in technology?

PostPosted: February 17th, 2015, 1:21 pm 

My first exercise of the day is getting out of bed...my next exercise deals with raising and lowering my morning coffee cup...from there........

Yes folks, I am kidding! I still try to put in 3-4 days a week on my Bowflext Treadclimber...and shoot my bow nearly every day...trying to maintain good hunting weight of 50# or more, depending on which bow I am holding on any given day. Most of you know I strive to stay in shape all the time but I have to admit...age is overtaking my ability to maintain the high levels of fitness I always tried to maintain. It is Hell to get old!

Dave

PostPosted: February 17th, 2015, 2:45 pm 

I am with Dave here. My heart and head are all about it. My joints aren't as enthusiastic. After enjoying 60 years of near perfect health, I somehow got PMR - Poly Myalgia Rumatica. Maybe handling 23 tons of square baled hay over a 5 day period? Until I got PMR I could still run 6 miles and bench 250lbs. Now I walk 6 miles and can barely do 10 pushups. So I will walk until I get through this. My driveway is 1.5 miles and steep for the first .75. I will do this with a 30 lb pack 4 days per week. My dogs will be very happy. But hey...its all good because I live in Mon - freakin - tana! :D Every time I walk my dogs and I see elk tracks in my driveway, I smile and the pain seems to drain away. Mostly.

PostPosted: February 17th, 2015, 8:30 pm 

Well here is my two cents regarding running as and exercise for fitness. I ran for about twenty years, including 10ks, half marathons, and the Chicago Marathon. Today I have one prosthetic knee and needing another one as my cartilage is totally gone. Like Mike Vines, I walk at least 3-4 miles a day. Since beginning that I have lost 29 lbs., so it does work. IMO, walk, save your knees and hunt much longer.

PostPosted: February 18th, 2015, 9:52 pm 

Listening to the debilitating issues caused by running, I should probably be happy for a continually recurring left calf strain while in my late 20s. I have to admit to having enjoyed the simplicity of running and little equipment required.

PostPosted: February 19th, 2015, 2:45 pm 

I've been a long distance runner since high school. In the past I'd typcially run between 20-30 miles per week. I've always enjoyed the simplicity of running but began to get bored with it and started having more and more leg injuries. About 3 or 4 years ago I stared doing Crossfit. I stared out just doing the workouts on my own off their main website then about a year and a half ago I joined a Crossfit gym (box). I quickly learned that while I thought I was in pretty good shape from running, and my lungs were, the rest of me wasn't even close to being in shape. Like running, I love the simplicity of it. No real fancy equipment, no elaborate gyms, no gimmicks, and no shortcuts. Just hard work and you get out what you put in. I also love the fact that when I'm travelling for work I can drop in just about any Crossfit box in the town I'm travelling to and feel right at home.

Probably my biggest goal would be to eat healthier. I've often heard "you can't outwork a bad diet" and I think it's absolutely true and something I continue to try to improve on.

PostPosted: February 19th, 2015, 6:33 pm 

A year ago I was about like Mike B. is now. Both knees were bone on bone, and the right one had severe arthritis that cause it to bow out about 16 degrees. When I finally went to the Doc, he laughed and said I couldn't stop a pig in a ditch. I figured I'd need to get both replaced, but he wanted to just do the right one first, which he replaced last June 2. Had to use a walker for three weeks because he only cemented the tibia fitting, the femur was supposed to grow into its fitting, and I could put no more than 40 pounds of weight on it. After three weeks, he told me no more walker and the real PT started. For the home exercise, I worked on both knees pretty hard and got all the leg muscles in shape, and was surprised at how well both knees functioned. Since the right knee is now straight, I don't tilt anymore, and the old hip and back pain went away, and I can go up and down stairs, hills and trees a lot better.

Anyway, after the operation, I was off my feed for awhile (cowboy saying) and lost about 20 pounds. Also was on pain meds that had acetaminophen and couldn't drink any alcohol and consequently lost my taste for cheap beer for some reason. ( It has come back some, but now I can't handle hoppy beer) Came to the conclusion that if I could keep active, keep the weight off and cut back on beer, staying in shape would kind of take care of itself. And it has. We hunt chukars until the end of Jan., and it's worse than elk hunting as far as nasty terrain, and I can now put in an easy 10 or 15 miles on a weekend without pain.

The best part? The doc said no more running under any circumstances. I feigned disappointment, but that was the best news of all. Actually, I haven't run since back in 2006, when we had a race from a bar to where we were staying on the other side of a field in Tully, Australia. Seems most of the runners I know have too many problems/injuries in the long run.

PostPosted: February 19th, 2015, 7:55 pm 

snow and ice suck! they cancelled the crossfit start up class again yesterday due to weather. Gonna start Monday. I'm kind of excited about it, but know it's gonna suck!! :D

PostPosted: February 28th, 2015, 4:17 pm 

Well, here it is 2 months into the year, and I'm proud to proclaim that I have met my "Walk a 100 miles per month" goal. Not too bad seeing as it was the shortest month of the year and also the coldest on record. Hopefuly now as it warms up, I'll be able to rack up some serious miles.

As February was winding down, I was cutting the distance REALLY close. My wife had a nice long weekend planned to celebrate her birthday, for the two of us, in the frozen tundra of Northern Michigan. Not being one to just sit and do nothing, I found out there was some Ice Caves on the shore of Lake Michigan. From my research, it was 2 miles off shore and I had only racked up 97 miles.

SO, in my mind, if I can make it there, the 100 would turn over on the walk in. So off we went. My wife enjoyed the adventure as well, and she never would have gone if not for some motivation.

As soon as we reached the ice caves, I removed my jacket (-5° F) and asked my wife to take this picture. If I can meet my goal in this kind of weather, anything is possible.

When I was a kid, I thought being an Eskimo would be pretty cool. Now that I'm "Grown up" (some would disagree), I can say the thoughts I had as a kid, aren't what I thought they would be. Here, Laura and I climbed down into one of the caves. There is a little over 4' off ice above us in this picture.

So, how is everybody else doing?