It is currently June 22nd, 2017, 3:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Lost Arrows
PostPosted: February 12th, 2015, 1:19 pm 

Hello my name is Ricky Parker and I am a student in an engineering program called Engineering Design and Development. I am attempting to design an arrow that will be less likely to get lost, but I would like to know on average how many arrows do you lose every year while on the hunt?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Lost Arrows
PostPosted: February 12th, 2015, 2:24 pm 

Membership Status: Regular Member
Ricky,

There is no general answer for your question as it depends on what sort of game one is after and what sort of terrain you are hunting on.

Truthfully, I do not lose many arrows while hunting game animals. My lost arrows generally come from either small game hunting or actually practicing, i.e. Roving and 3 d shoots.

I lose many arrows a year while practicing and hunting small game. Probably 8-12 per year. You will discover that this group most likely shoots far more arrows than the average weekend warrior. Most of our members are year round archery enthusiast and bow hunters.

I will also search to the ends of the Earth to find a lost arrow, especially if a head other than a target point is on the end.

PostPosted: February 12th, 2015, 6:38 pm 

Appropriate response PJ.

Most hunting shots from this group are going to be very close range... I'd guess in the 10 to 25 yard range. Very few lost arrows.

PostPosted: February 12th, 2015, 8:22 pm 

Welcome to the PBS website Ricky. I see this is your first time posting here. Are you new to the PBS?

Truthfully, I have lost 2 arrows in the past 5 years, and I can tell you where they should be at, but I'll be darned if I could find them (I spent way more time than I probably should have looking for them)

Now, broken arrows...I can lay claim to a boat load of them. I told myself that this year I'm only hunting with Easton FMJ. I'm not claiming they are better, I just want to try a new shaft that has a pretty good performance history.

I have learned that a bright colored crown and fletchings are easier to reclaim than dull colored shafts and natural turkey feathers. That last ones look AWESOME, but for hunting purposes, they don't serve my needs, unless hunting for tturkeys.

PostPosted: February 12th, 2015, 10:06 pm 

Ricky, I'm not sure of your thoughts or design, but many states and national organizations do not allow electronics on arrows. FYI

PostPosted: February 13th, 2015, 6:00 am 

I might lose a couple arrows a year, and certainly not enough to ever worry about their loss. If I can't find them after a quick visual search, I walk away and never think about them again. I mothball far more arrows than I lose.

Also what Mike Mitten said. No pre-judgments here, but if this idea involves electronics of some type it will likely be disallowed in many venues which prohibit such tech.

PostPosted: February 13th, 2015, 6:52 am 

I count on going through two dozen arrows each year and I have been shooting a bow for almost 50 years so have gotten pretty good at kicking through the leaves and finding them. I hardly ever loose an arrow shooting at big game but I do loose a bunch while squirrel and ground hog hunting. I shoot a lot, almost every day of the year. I shoot a lot of 3-D's and do a lot of roving with my group of friends. I end up taking a lot of stupid shots at things and take a lot of good shots at stupid things. Don't ever bet me a Dairy Queen blizzard that I can't hit that old paint bucket out there at 90 yards... there is only one way to find out! I shoot a bow, that's what I do and I have fun at it. I figure loosing or breaking a couple dozen arrows each year is just the cost of doing business.

PostPosted: February 13th, 2015, 7:02 am 
Site Admin

As everyone else suggested,lost arrows are not a problem that needs solving for me. Certainly, not something that I would never spend money on a product to prevent. As PJ said, my lost arrows rarely occur while hunting. Practicing ... All the time ... And I am not concerned about that.

However, you are working on an engineering project, right? While we are indicating to you from a practical perspective - for experienced bowhunters - there isn't much of a problem to solve; that doesn't mean that you won't still do the project. And, it is definitely the case that other people have felt this problem was significant enough to come up with solutions to this problem and market them.

The solutions available now center mostly on visibility. Both in terms of seeing where your arrow goes while in flight (e.g., lighted nocks - as Mike suggested, most on this site don't approve of these; but also rabbit fur strip tracers serve a similar purpose) and then seeing the actual arrow on the ground (e.g., highly reflective wraps that 'light up' when you hit them with a flash light.

The other approach has been to design the arrow so that it is less likely to bury into debris. I think this group would tell you that when we do lose arrow, more then 80 percent of them are because they bury. There is a product that is actually pretty good for this called a judo point. Rather than a typical point, if you screw/glue a judo point in it cuts down on the burying. These have wires coming off the point that catch in the ground that cause the point to pop up and not bury. Again,while reasonably effective, I don't use them because this isn't a problem I care about.

Other interventions exist too ... Metal detectors and dogs come to mind. I have used both. And both work. My dad had a dog that could find any lost arrow - it was pretty amazing. She wasn't soft mouthed on fletch ing, but she would find them.

One note - please don't design something that emits an auditory signal or that includes a tracking device. Solving a problem is one thing - creating something that violates the principles of fair chase is another. Stick to improving post shot visibility or preventing arrows from burying and you are good. I wish you the best in your project.

... And stay awhile ... Tell us about your bowhunting interests.

The Twisted Stave
Golden Specialties

PostPosted: February 13th, 2015, 11:47 am 
Site Admin

Ricky, as an engineer I am interested in what you have in mind for your design. Can you give us an idea?

I am so cheap that if I lose an arrow, I will go back and look until I find it. However, on a recently completed hunt in some very thick reeds (over head high), one hunter lost one arrow, another lost two arrows, and I lost four. That was very unusual.

Romans 10:15 “.......How beautiful are the feet of those that bring the Good News of Jesus...”

PostPosted: February 13th, 2015, 1:55 pm 

I was just thinking.... I am one of those guys that Jeff was referring to in his post. I lost and arrow and never even shot it.

I have now lost an arrow in 12 different states and two Canadian provences!

PostPosted: February 13th, 2015, 3:18 pm 

Jeff Holchin wrote:
Ricky, as an engineer I am interested in what you have in mind for your design. Can you give us an idea?

I am so cheap that if I lose an arrow, I will go back and look until I find it. However, on a recently completed hunt in some very thick reeds (over head high), one hunter lost one arrow, another lost two arrows, and I lost four. That was very unusual.

You can't call walking away from your quiver full of arrows , "losing 4 arrows"
;)

PostPosted: February 13th, 2015, 5:54 pm 

Quote:
You can't call walking away from your quiver full of arrows , "losing 4 arrows"

:o :D :D :D

PostPosted: February 13th, 2015, 6:01 pm 

Like Randy said I take a lot of crazy shots just to see if I can hit that stump or whatever.
I am sure I have planted hundreds of cedar shafts in woods,fields and yards and none of them seems to grow. Maybe I'm not planting them deep enough.