It is currently October 18th, 2017, 5:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Glasses
PostPosted: January 28th, 2015, 10:06 pm 

Membership Status: Regular Member
Well, I've put it off about as long as I need to. Glasses, bifocals at that. I've put it off simply because of fear of messing up my shooting, especially from tree stands. Any opinions, tips or advice would be appreciated.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Glasses
PostPosted: January 28th, 2015, 11:01 pm 
Site Admin

Membership Status: Life Member
About four years ago it hit me. I have worn contacts for decades then all of a sudden I needed reading glasses, ughh. :(

The lazy part of me has me wearing glasses most of the time now for day to day stuff. When I shoot in the yard I wear specs and it doesn't seem to be any issue for me. When I get serious about hunting I pop the contacts in and clip the reading glasses on my shirt collar. Some time I'm going to loose those dang things and I'll be SOL to see anything close. :cry:

PostPosted: January 29th, 2015, 5:59 am 

Count me in this club. I used to wear contacts but the disadvantages (for me) eventually caused me to give up after several years. I wear cheaters for reading and I can usually tell a buck from a doe without any visual aid. I recall wearing glasses while hunting or fishing in the past, and the annoyance factor was off the chart. Another thing I recall when shooting my bow was a loss of depth/distance perception. Anyone know if that is typical and will it go away quickly?

PostPosted: January 29th, 2015, 6:17 am 

I have had to wear glasses for some time, mostly to correct a stigmatism issue. As I got older I had to wear bifocals. I have gone to transition lenses and I really like the "no line" feature. I also had cataract surgery on both eyes early last year but still wear glasses to correct the stigmatism issue and the "old age" stuff. Takes a bit to get used to wearing them when shooting....but they work well.

Dave

PostPosted: January 29th, 2015, 6:19 am 

Membership Status: Associate Member
I started having to wear readers a few years ago. Now I wear the contacts version of readers except at night or most weekends. I'll have some readers in my shirt pocket when hunting. I have readers as bifocals in my sunglasses. I'm kind of nervous wearing contacts while hunting. Not sure why, though.

PostPosted: January 29th, 2015, 7:49 am 

Lasik! I had been wearing glasses/contacts since I was 13. My vision was so bad that during the eye chart test they classified me as "five fingers", as in I couldn't discern five fingers when the doctor held his hand up in front of the chart. I too started wearing reading glasses about when I had my contacts in. Ten years ago I had Lasik surgery on both eyes. Unbelievable!!! I now do not wear any type of corrective lenses for anything, including reading or computer work. Best thing I have ever done.

David

PostPosted: January 29th, 2015, 9:49 am 

I suffered thru "fuzzy" vision far too long before I caved and went to glasses. Having astigmatism in one eye, and a scar on my other cornea (Stray piece of metal shaving found its way in there).

At first it was difficult to change (aren't most changes that way), but knowing the future would be miserable without glasses, I sucked it up and pressed forward.

Now I feel naked without having my glasses. My shooting has improved, not just because of glasses but they have helped the situation.

Only Issue I have found is when hunting when it is cold, and I wear a face mask, my lenses fog up from the moisture when I exhale. It just requires a little thinking to overcome that issue.

PostPosted: January 29th, 2015, 10:01 am 

That's what made me go to contacts Mike, I was a cop in Alaska, walked into a bar fight by myself one night in the winter, glasses fogged up and I couldn't see a thing. That wasn't fun!
Once I got contacts more than once I lost one in the woods in the dark.....none of that happens now.

David

PostPosted: January 29th, 2015, 10:17 am 

I tried contacts for about a month because I didn't want to wear glasses. I just couldn't get past the odd feeling of something being in my eyes. Threw those in the trash, along with all the extra money I THOUGHT I was going to save, but ended up spending twice the amount on another exam and then lenses and frames.

Honestly, I'm leary of having Lasik surgery on my eyes. Maybe I'm old school, but I only have 2 eyes (almost lost one to stupidity) and having surgery on them is not high on my list of priorities. I know it works for MOST people, but I typically fall under the category of "Other Than Most".

If anything, wearing glasses (although NOT safety glasses) is a cheap insurance policy for the stick that comes at you from it's unseen resting place , a string that breaks at full draw, spark from a campfire, chunk of wood split off by an ax/hatchet, or even sawdust from a circular saw or even a metal shaving from a drill bit. Not to mention, it's kinda nice to see clearly.

PostPosted: January 29th, 2015, 1:09 pm 

I have had glasses since I was 10, never contacts. About 6 years ago had to go to bifocals and went the no line first. I did not like those because the only place you can see in focus is straight ahead. if you look off to the sides it is out of focus.

PostPosted: January 29th, 2015, 1:43 pm 

Greg Szalewski wrote:
I have had glasses since I was 10, never contacts. About 6 years ago had to go to bifocals and went the no line first. I did not like those because the only place you can see in focus is straight ahead. if you look off to the sides it is out of focus.

GregS,

Please email/PM me your phone number. I need to talk to you about an email I received this morning from "you".

Larry

PostPosted: January 29th, 2015, 5:16 pm 

Last September while in Alaska, sitting in a rain soaked tipi I would glance across and see what I thought was a billy goat. Then it would hit me that's Steve H. Upon return I went to the eye doc. I came away with glasses with progressive bifocals. My world was rocked, since I might have to shoot a pistol as apart of work. What I discovered was it affected my bow shooting but not pistol shooting. Go figure on that one. Like Kevin said, I can still see well enough to difference a buck vs doe , so I don't hunt with them on. The difference in weapons may be that with the pistol I focus on the front sight, with bow on the object. Seems odd but I plan to practice with them this spring and see how it goes.

PostPosted: January 29th, 2015, 5:20 pm 
Site Admin

Preston Lay wrote:
What I discovered was it affected my bow shooting but not pistol shooting. Go figure on that one. Like Kevin said, I can still see well enough to difference a buck vs doe , so I don't hunt with them on. The difference in weapons may be that with the pistol I focus on the front sight, with bow on the object. Seems odd but I plan to practice with them this spring and see how it goes.

That's what immediately came to mind, pistol shooting focus on front sight, bows, on the target. Very interesting.....

Oh, any by the way, I haven't shaved last since well before that very wet trip!

PostPosted: January 29th, 2015, 7:10 pm 

Steve,

Hang in there it's not all bad. I was blessed with good eyes for half a century. Now I have a prescription for bifocals. My shooting style causes me to look past my nose very close with my right eye. Glasses with a normal nose bridge set up did me no good because my right eye looked through the space between the two lenses!

I was seriously sad about bow shooting until I tried a saddle bridge. This type of bridge is not only a more simple durable design, it also gets the lense right next to your nose. I found that a shorter lense allowed me to get my Split finger anchor as high on my face as I needed to allow me to stick to a shooting style that has been with me for forty years.

For me I decided not to wear a bifocal lense in favor of a single focal lense for distance. I can get by without a bifocal for hunting. I have my glasses on a lanyard that allows me to sinch them up or let them hang if I'm doing close up work.

Killed my first deer this year with them on. Good luck, there's life after glasses!

PostPosted: January 29th, 2015, 7:21 pm 

I had to start wearing glasses after I lost some of my vision after being shot. Now I wear glasses everyday for work, but added contacts for bowhunting. I could never get the hang of shooting with glasses on, and simpy would not wear them. Then a new doctor who also loved to bowhunt talked me into trying contacts one for far sightedness and one for short. AMAZING difference and I now always wear contacts when hunting. I also switched to daily contact lens, that I don't have to worry about trying to clean on extended trips etc.

Last edited by Steve Griffith on January 30th, 2015, 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: January 29th, 2015, 8:03 pm 

Thanks for the input guys. I guess one man's medicine is another man's poison. I don't think I could ever get used to plucking something out of my eye. I think I will at least check into the lazik. I really have a hard time focusing on something small past 15yds or so. Aim small, miss small.

PostPosted: January 30th, 2015, 9:07 am 

I wore glasses for 30 years. I switched to contacts for about 10 years. I had both the hard and soft styles. My work, mechanic and contracting, made me very conscious of things coming toward my eyes and it was hard at first to stick my finger in my eye. I got used to it. Because I hike for a couple weeks at a time, I was concerned about hand cleanliness that could possibly lead to an eye infection.
I had laser eye surgery about 10 years ago. It was a good decision. I still wear glasses to read. They told me that beforehand. My vision has been stable for the 10 years.
Lasik surgery is a quick recovery. Most people are back to normal in 48 hours. I chose laser PRK. The recovery was about 2 weeks. I chose that because of doing a martial art and the (small) chance of a blow to the face or eye.
There are lots of good options out there.

I intend to live so my grandchildren will say "What's that old fool up to now?"

PostPosted: January 30th, 2015, 9:43 am 

I had Lasik done about 10 years ago. I has been absolutely fantastic! After 30+ years of contacts, it was a breath of fresh air as I always fought issues with wind, dirt, etc while hunting. I do have to wear glasses while reading along with staring at the computer screen. So, my dollar store cheapies are never far from my reach. I should be happy to not need them for shooting my bow.

"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his power." -Ephesians 6:10
"Be Bold and mighty forces will come to your aid." - Goethe
"A lot of the physical is mental" - IronMind

PostPosted: January 30th, 2015, 9:56 am 
I've been wearing contacts since I graduated from high school (1968). Maybe 15 years ago I changed eye Doctors and asked about extended wear contacts. My old Dr. said because of my astigmatism I couldn't wear them but my new Dr. said no problem so I switched to extended wear. They are great! When I'm home I treat them like regular contacts and take them out every evening. When I'm camping (over a weekend or such) I leave them in. Where they really shine is on long camping/hunting trips. I've left them in (day and night) for 2 weeks+ with absolutely no problems. When I know that's what I'm going to be doing I make sure I put in a new set.

As others have mentioned reading glasses are needed but still only now and then. In good light I can a book or newspaper but in low light I do need "cheaters". I really found that out the last few years working at night in trying to read someone's drivers license. The light in my truck wasn't good bright enough. I either needed a flashlight shining on the license or the reading glasses. I still don't own a pair of glasses.

PostPosted: February 6th, 2015, 1:07 am 

Had to get glasses last year and I had some trouble shooting with them on so I tried contacts. Contacts are not practical for me on a backpacking trip. They don't even last an entire day of normal activity. I hunkered down and got used to shooting with glasses on. Now there's nothing to it and I don't have to worry about one side falling out mid hunt.

PostPosted: February 6th, 2015, 6:46 am 

I have had glasses for a distance prescription since I was seventeen. 7 or 8 years ago I got to the point where I had a pair of cheap reading glasses laying around in each office I worked in and most flat surfaces at home. I really struggled when I would pull a car over at night and try and read the drivers license number. I went to the doctor to set up Lasik but was told that due to the shape of my eye ball I was not a candidate. I ended up getting a set of no line bifocals. I absolutely hated them at first. I could get anything at any distance in focus SOMEWHERE in those lenses, but just had to find that spot. I got them two weeks before bow season thinking that was great timing. I remember drawing back on several deer that first year and reaching full draw and then rotating my head around slightly to get the deer in focus. Now it is all just second nature and I don't think about it. My sun glasses and shooting glasses all have the same no line prescription.

Preston, I noticed the same thing on the range when I first went to the no lines. Working on the range for 20 weeks a year I had to wear shooting/safety glasses and I got pretty used to them fairly quick. I heard the same thing from a lot of my students but you will find the right position to bring that front sight into sharp focus. With glasses or not, the target is always going to be out of focus while you are concentrating on that front sight.

I like the idea of having at least a little protection for my eyes while in the woods. I am always catching branches and stuff in my face, especially while blood trailing in thick stuff or at night.

PostPosted: February 6th, 2015, 7:46 am 

Had laser surgery done 10 years ago with good results. Now 20/20, but still need readers. LASIK surgery is something that should be done while in your 30's or 40's so I had been told. It's about changes in internal eye pressure as you age if I remember right.

The best readers I have found are called Clics. They have a small magnet between the lenses and hang on your neck always at the ready. Saves from having to buy dozens of regular cheaters. Google it.

For outside and driving, I wear dark lense safety glasses with readers built in. They are great for driving, you can read maps, the dash better, etc. Also good for yard work, weed whipping, etc as it keeps readers at the ready.

PostPosted: February 6th, 2015, 5:23 pm 

Great subject Steve... Thanks for initiating this thread. Lots of really good ideas.

I wear progressive lenses all the time.... except to shoot. My shooting style has the string hitting the bottom edge of the glasses. So I choose not to wear glasses when shooting.

I have tried the more rounded sports glasses, and they work (somewhat.) I can see much better with them AND the string bowstring clears the bottom edge of the rim. But for some reason I tend to shoot REALLY, REALLY HIGH with them.

Something is going to have to give soon however. Downrange targets are getting more and more fuzzy.

Again... GREAT posts!

PostPosted: February 7th, 2015, 8:25 pm 

I wear progressive lenses but I have a hard time shooting due to the fact that the prescription is shaped like a hour glass. I got contacts for distance and I really like them for shooting but I have trouble putting them in while in the field. I tried on the hog hunt last weekend but needed to hang up a mirror and light. Poor preparation on my part. I would want it perfected before elk season.
I know my optomologist just set up a lab to make lenses. I was going to ask if they could make a lenses that extended the prescription all the way across the lense surface whre you pick your spot.

PostPosted: February 9th, 2015, 11:01 pm 

I just had Lasik done this past Friday! I have had to wear bifocals for 20+ years and hated wearing glasses for hunting, I tried contacts but I couldn't get them in and out, so I gave up on them. I got busted several times this past season at close range while hunting on the ground. They seem to pickup the reflection and get real wary!

I'm going on 61 and only a few days into the recovery.......and it's great! I'm wearing readers for the up close reading but for distance it's nice and clear! They told me it would improve more over the next two weeks. So far I'm a happy camper! I would do it agian.