It is currently November 23rd, 2017, 9:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ] 
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: PBS Fun Facts
PostPosted: January 27th, 2015, 5:20 pm 
Site Admin

Membership Status: Life Member
On a whim I started a series that I called, for a lack of a better name at the instant I needed a name, "PBS Fun Facts" on the PBS Facebook page. I also did a 5 part set of installments on Ben Pinney and my cliffhanger goat ordeal that was posted on his website recently. The intention is for others to also add good solid content and that I would just try and kick the effort off.

Peej and I are attempting to ramp up the visibility of that page by getting some interesting items and PBS facts in front of potential member's noses. Let's remember that one of our primary purpose and objectives is to "maintain a membership".

Dan Mathis has jumped in and added good content too. We have had several members add good comments that encourage discussion and participation, which is the primary objective!

So, the first "PBS Fun Fact" was short and simple as follows with the attached photo:

PBS FUN Fact: PBS' first vice president was no other than Sagittarius author Bob Swinehart. Swinehart typifies the type of passion found in PBS members!

Attachment:
Swinehart_C-Buffalo.JPG
Swinehart_C-Buffalo.JPG [ 64.89 KiB | Viewed 1935 times ]

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: PBS Fun Facts
PostPosted: January 27th, 2015, 5:24 pm 
Site Admin

PBS Fun Fact #2:

PBS Fun Fact: PBS' vice president for two terms, 1989-1991 was none other than Jay Massey, author of bowhunting's timeless classics: "Bowhunting Alaska's Wild Rivers" and "A Thousand Campfires".

Attachment:
JayMassey_PBS-Cover.jpg
JayMassey_PBS-Cover.jpg [ 11.9 KiB | Viewed 1935 times ]

PostPosted: January 27th, 2015, 5:44 pm 

Membership Status: Regular Member
Steve, funny that you bring this topic up. I've been wondering about the early history of the PBS, officers, charter and founding members....keep'em comin!! 8-)

PostPosted: January 27th, 2015, 5:52 pm 
Site Admin

PBS Fun Fact #3:

PBS Fun Fact: The Vice President of PBS from 1971-1973 was Otis “Toad” Smith. Toad wrote the book "Toads Tricks to taking Whitetail in the corn and everywhere else". Toad was also considered a legendary catfisherman and was featured in numerous magazines, TV fishing shows, and videos over the years. At one point Toad had a serious heart condition that required surgery. Toad convinced the surgeon to save the portion of his removed heart as it belonged to him! After some deliberation, Toad took the section of his own heart, hooked it up, and caught an 8# channel catfish—USING A PART OF HIS OWN HEART FOR BAIT!!!

Attachment:
414i90d4jXL[1].jpg
414i90d4jXL[1].jpg [ 30.58 KiB | Viewed 1852 times ]

PostPosted: January 28th, 2015, 5:51 am 

I remember Toad. He was an avid fisherman and writer for InFisherman (magazine) as well as a bowhunter. Many of the IF crew were serious bowhunters. Anyway...I recall that when Toad put on his big smile it resembled a white garage with the door rolled up. :D That dude was an original, and a character.

PostPosted: January 28th, 2015, 8:11 am 

Membership Status: Associate Member
Enjoying the series. :)

PostPosted: January 28th, 2015, 9:45 pm 

Are we supposed to get on facebeek to look at this? I know what it is, but since I'm not a social butterfly like H is, I don't belong to much social media.

I don't even twitter/tweet/twang or eat much grits.

Don't text, sext, spend much time with Rext, or park in a handicapped spot unless I'm in a hurry.

I checked the messages on my cell phone last week and found I'd missed a dental appointment. From a month ago. Need to check them more than once a week.

I do have some fun history from a short while back.

My son, Tiege, is a habitat biologist in northern Idaho, and awhile back he was helping a landowner with some wetland restoration. The landowner, named Barry, found out Tiege hunts with a longbow. He asked Tiege if he'd ever heard of Jay Massey. Jay had shown Tiege how to chip obsidian once. Barry was Jay's best man at the wedding. Barry had, in hand, all of the topo maps from he and Jays hunts in Alaska and the lower states. He gave them all to Tiege, along with some of Jay's napping tools and a small chunk of obsidian from Ishi's cave, according to Jay. I've looked the maps over, and they all have Jay's handwriting on them. Tiege won't even let me take a picture of them.

PostPosted: January 28th, 2015, 11:04 pm 
Site Admin

Mark Ulschmid wrote:
.....Barry had, in hand, all of the topo maps from he and Jays hunts in Alaska and the lower states. He gave them all to Tiege, along with some of Jay's napping tools and a small chunk of obsidian from Ishi's cave, according to Jay. I've looked the maps over, and they all have Jay's handwriting on them. Tiege won't even let me take a picture of them.

:o :o :o

Remind young Tiege who (tried) to help him find a place to go hunting in Hawaii.....

PostPosted: January 28th, 2015, 11:06 pm 
Site Admin

Mark Ulschmid wrote:
Are we supposed to get on facebeek to look at this?

No need, we'll post 'em here too! Facebook is dirty, a couple of us will do it and take one for the team!

PostPosted: January 29th, 2015, 7:54 am 

That picture of Bob Swinehart is fantastic! He and Howard are 2 of my idols and it is great to find out that he was involved with PBS. That picture along with the one of Mr. Massey makes me want to box up my recurve and go back to nothing but longbows and wood arrows. This is great stuff, more please.

PostPosted: January 29th, 2015, 11:17 am 

Some information on Bob Swinehart from the Archery Hall of Fame website. Copy and paste link below. Some good pictures on the web page. I would be interested in knowing more of Bob's involvement with PBS. I joined in 1978 and cannot recollect any articles in the PBS magazine written by Bob or any pictures submitted by him.

http://www.archeryhalloffame.com/Swinehart,%20Bob.html

Bob Swinehart

1928 - 1982

Class of 2000
Bowhunter, Influence on the Sport

Bob Swinehart forever etched his name, into the annals of bowhunting history after becoming the first stick bow hunter to harvest the Dark Continents deadly "Big Five." Hill euphemistically called the creatures Africa's "notorious entourage." Whatever appellation was applied, the fact is Bob Swinehart used a favorite bamboo longbow pulling about 100 pounds to down four-fifths of the dangerous African quintet. Only his leopard was killed with a recurve bow, its lethal shaft flashing from a 75-pound Ben Pearson takedown model that Bob was field-testing for his Pine Bluff, Arkansas, bowhunting friend. Afterward, Bob Swinehart was spotlighted in "Ripley's Believe It or Not" for arrowing his 3-ton black rhino.

Howard Hill once said about Bob Swinehart, "During my many years of hunting with the bow and arrow, I have covered different parts of the world and have hunted with many archers. Of these bowhunters I am convinced that Bob Swinehart is the best big game hunter I have had the pleas­ure of being with on the trail and in the bush.

"He not only is an extremely good shot with the bow, but in addition has a great deal of patience, is a fine tracker and possesses great courage... Also for a man his size - weight 170 and height 5 feet10 inches - his strength is prodigious. He can handle bows pulling over 100 pounds.

"When this young man sets out to down Africa's Big Five with bow and arrow -something he had been dreaming of since a boy I was confident that he would accomplish the task, providing he did not get himself killed first. My only criticism of him was that he took too many risks."

Howard Hill, Vincent, Alabama, May 5,1970

Notes of Interest

• Admirer and Protégé of the Legendary Howard Hill

• Tireless Promoter of Archery and Bowhunting

• First Bowhunter to Tag Africa’s Dangerous “Big Five” (Lion, Leopard, Rhino, Cape Buffalo and Elephant)

• Author of the Popular 1970 Book, Sagittarius

• Collected Bear, Mountain Lion, and Other North American Big Game

Copyright: 2014 Archery Hall of Fame & Museum Inc.
Unauthorized use of images and content is strictly prohibited.
- All Rights Reserved -

PostPosted: January 29th, 2015, 12:00 pm 
Site Admin

John Vargo wrote:
I would be interested in knowing more of Bob's involvement with PBS. I joined in 1978 and cannot recollect any articles in the PBS magazine written by Bob or any pictures submitted by him.

I read somewhere that he married an anti-hunter type and maybe that is why he had less involvement later on. From what I've read, I think his involvement with PBS was in the earliest days. I've been working a couple angles to try and get old PBS historical documents scanned and made available to the membership. Power of persuasion is all I have since I have none in my possession.

PostPosted: January 29th, 2015, 1:03 pm 

I am with Steve on the FB thing. No need for the main group to bounce back and forth. I am an FBer to stay linked the youth in my family and have Steve in my friends list so when he fired this up I just followed his lead. I didn't like the idea initially but acquiesced and have actually gotten some benefit out of it. Anything good we post there should be posted here either before or after. My FB horse back bow hunting post is here as of last night. (Looks like a real veteran has hijacked it, but that's all good; school is now in session for Dano.) We have an interesting book post there we need to move/reinitiate here. Did someone do that already? If not I will get it going. I have book I need some help with.
Also some of the really good stuff here should get refined and reposted over there? I think the Aldo Leopold thread here that got started recently has potential merit.

PostPosted: January 29th, 2015, 1:10 pm 

A guy I don't see here that might have/know some interesting PBS history is Chris McFadden in PA. Is anyone talking with him? What a Great American. If he made Cincy he is one of the few PBSers that has attended every Gathering.

PostPosted: January 29th, 2015, 2:45 pm 
Site Admin

If I may be so bold to say, the grandson of the Godfather of PBS, Tom Shupienis, is linked into our Facebook page! I'm hoping to nudge Greg into providing some "stuff" on his grandfather!

Gregory T Shupienis
January 29 at 3:11am

"I still have a couple copies of that magazine from grandpas collection. I've read it many of times."

Gregory T Shupienis
January 29 at 7:47am

"lm going to dig out old photo album. got some photos from that trip and a Colorado trip with kiko tovar and some other pioneers."

PostPosted: January 29th, 2015, 3:44 pm 
Site Admin

I discovered a few photos floating around online and posted them to FB and tagged MR James with the question "can you identify and was this the 1971 NE PBS Membership hunt"? MR's response below:

Marion Ray James
January 29 at 11:38am

"I have a photo book with a number of pics from that adventure. Tom Shupienis, Roger Rothhaar, Kiko Tovar, Denny Bain, Kelly Peterson, Bob Roach, Big John Emler, Ray Shure, Ernie Whitmore, Tink Nathan, Billy Fowlkes, Laverne Woock, Toad Smith, Howard Clark, Gene Winter are some PBS members I remember in camp. Jack Reinhart and I drove to northwestern Nebraska from Indiana for the hunt. I shot a forky and big doe. All of the deer on the meat pole were mulies, except for one whitetail Billy Fowlkes tagged. Denny Bain and Kiko Tovar arrowed the two pronghorns taken. Great time, great memories."

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]