It is currently August 18th, 2017, 6:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: prefeance points
PostPosted: January 25th, 2015, 6:27 pm 

Membership Status: Associate Member
I'm kinda curious how many different states that people apply for points in. Does everyone pick a state and go for the animal they want, or do they start applying everywhere and see what happens?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: prefeance points
PostPosted: January 26th, 2015, 8:01 am 

Membership Status: Regular Member
Marc, it really depends on the species. Moose, I apply in many states. Elk a few states that I want to hunt, deer just couple, alligator just one. I guess in total I apply in 7 or 8 states.

PostPosted: January 26th, 2015, 9:03 am 

I apply in 5 or 6 different states. Some states multiple species, others just one. Elk is my main focus, but I also apply in some for deer, moose, antelope, alligator, and even one for mountain goat.

I've been at it for a number of years and have had some great tags as a result with more hopefully coming soon. But if I were looking at just getting started now I would stay away from some draws. Many have become nothing more than a fund raising drive for the Game and Fish Depts. with a minuscule chance of ever drawing a tag for those that don't have maximum points.

There are still plenty of good draws to get into and build points in, but choose wisely and research each of them before getting started. If you have a particular goal or target species we could give you more detail on where to stay looking and which to stay away from.

PostPosted: January 26th, 2015, 9:46 am 

I apply in most states tht offer sheep tags. Since I am putting in for sheep, unless it is ridiculous, I'll put in for points for other species offered. AZ, NM, NV, UT, WY, ID, MT always. AK, CA occasionally and IA/KS for whitetail.

PostPosted: January 26th, 2015, 12:07 pm 
Site Admin

I am building points (both preference and bonus) for various animals in a number of states. You may have to buy the NR license in a few western states just to get preference points.

Romans 10:15 “.......How beautiful are the feet of those that bring the Good News of Jesus...”

PostPosted: January 26th, 2015, 12:42 pm 
Site Admin

Membership Status: Life Member
I stopped applying for points in most instances, its such a racquet and is just so, so dirty! I apply for Alaskan hunts and an occasional hunt here and there in other states when PP don't factor in. I'll likely apply for IA points in the near future so that drawing the tag happens the year I retire. I may also position myself with points to draw a Wyoming cow moose tag the year I retire or the following fall. Most of the other PP games, no thanks.

PostPosted: January 26th, 2015, 10:08 pm 

Thanks for the info!! This is the reason I joined the PBS.

PostPosted: January 27th, 2015, 6:26 am 

Marc,

It's a very personal thing and it is kind of a necessary evil if you want to do some quality DIY hunts for lower 48 big game. I'm in the game in several states. I see it like a retirement portfolio. Sit down, think hard about your goals, your financial situation, your ability to pick up and go for a couple weeks with months notice etc and get in the game if it floats your boat. I don't enjoy the game, but I sure as heck enjoy a quality hunt out west when I've drawn a limited entry tag.

There are several guys here who helped me with this stuff before I was even aware of PBS. Give it some serious thought and research and then you'll have PBS brothers that will help you get it to the goal line.

Good luck.