It is currently September 24th, 2017, 7:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: January 25th, 2015, 9:28 am 

Membership Status: Associate Member
There's a free on-line course that starts 1-26-15. The course is titled "The Land Ethic Reclaimed: Perceptive Hunting, Aldo Leopold and Conservation" and it's being conducted by the University of Wisconsin; Madison.
UW Madison is long known as a progressive liberal hotbed, so I'll be very curious to see how they present hunting and the role it plays in the past, current and future of wildlife management.

I originally learned of this class through the Traditional Bowhunter newsletter
http://archive.aweber.com/tbmtotw/Mw7yX ... eopold.htm

Here's the link to the course
http://moocs.wisc.edu/mooc/landethic/

Mods & administrators: I wasn't sure where to post this so feel free to move it.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: January 25th, 2015, 10:10 am 

Membership Status: Regular Member
Tom,

I too am interested in seeing in what sort of light hunting and hunters, especially bowhunting is cast upon us all.

P.J.

PostPosted: January 25th, 2015, 10:21 am 

P.J. Petiniot wrote:
Tom,

I too am interested in seeing in what sort of light hunting and hunters, especially bowhunting is cast upon us all.

P.J.

When I signed-up for the class, the website allowed me to read more about the 3 instructors. Their descriptions made 2 of them sound left leaning (at least it seemed that way to me). The other instructor sounded a little more middle of the road.
I hope they don't taint the good name and reputation of Aldo Leopold with a bunch of leftist clap-trap.

PostPosted: January 25th, 2015, 10:23 am 
Site Admin

Oh, I wouldn't be concerned that hunters are presented in a negative light. Sure, there will be opposing points of view presented, as there should be in this sort of discussion, but this class seems to be focused on discussing the things we know to be true and educating the non- hunting public about what we as hunters do for conservation. I think this looks very good. We may have an issue here or there, but overall, it will send a pro hunting message to the non-hunters participating. IMO this class is a very good thing.

... We shall see.

The Twisted Stave
Golden Specialties

PostPosted: January 25th, 2015, 10:29 am 
Site Admin

Tom Schmiedlin wrote:
Their descriptions made 2 of them sound left leaning (at least it seemed that way to me). The other instructor sounded a little more middle of the road.
I hope they don't taint the good name and reputation of Aldo Leopold with a bunch of leftist clap-trap.

What, to you, sounded left leaning? Or anti? I didn't see anything that gave me that impression.

The Twisted Stave
Golden Specialties

PostPosted: January 25th, 2015, 1:16 pm 

Ted Kinney wrote:
Tom Schmiedlin wrote:
Their descriptions made 2 of them sound left leaning (at least it seemed that way to me). The other instructor sounded a little more middle of the road.

What, to you, sounded left leaning? Or anti? I didn't see anything that gave me that impression.

Maybe I overstated it a bit. I didn't say "anti" but I did say "left leaning". I guess I'm just a tad leery of university professors. They are, by and large, liberal and Madison is extremely liberal.
I sincerely hope that the course is not filled with ulterior motives. It would be comforting if the professors in this class had more back round in wildlife management.

I just wanted to inform everyone about the class. Sorry if I injected some concerns and opinions.
Check out the class and make your own conclusions :)

PostPosted: January 25th, 2015, 2:49 pm 

I recieved my bachelors from UW. Any time you have a large population of people, you'll get plenty of liberals. . . . plenty of conservatives too, and plenty of people with very open minds. I was pretty open about what I like to do in my pastime (bowhunting) and most professors were very interested in what I had to say.
I had one philosophy class that dealt with sentience, and while my instructor didn't hunt, he rasied rabbits for food. He felt it was eithical, and after I explained what I do, he could see a very clear argument for what I / we do.

I was president of the archery club there which at the time was held in the stock pavillion. Happens to be just about where Aldo used to have an office when he taught at UW. Pretty nostalgiac. I also took an upper level wildlife management class an at no time did I ever get an "anti" vibe. Most of these guys are down to earth. They have a really neat display there in the wildlife management department of Aldo's old bows, arrows and even the gun he shot the wolf with and saw the green fire die.

I believe Aldo's land ethic is clearly a part of our past present and future. It's also a lot more palatable for the non-hunting public.

PostPosted: January 25th, 2015, 2:52 pm 
Site Admin

Fair enough, Tom. And I definitely appreciate you bringing this class up to the group. I will say, as an adjunct faculty member of a university,not all our left-leaning! I bet Dave Samuels would agree with that too. But you do make a good point, many of them are. That said I think this class is going to be pretty good for our cause.

The Twisted Stave
Golden Specialties

PostPosted: January 25th, 2015, 3:53 pm 

I am registered and poked around the site some.

I have a full plate this evening but I will dive in tomorrow.

P.J.

PostPosted: January 25th, 2015, 6:38 pm 

I am read this post with GREAT interest, as on Saturday March 1st, I will have the honor of inducting Aldo Leopold into the Wisconsin Bowhunting Hall of Fame. Aldo was one of the Founding fathers of the Wisconsin Bowhunters Association. Along with Roy Case and Larry Whiffen Sr. he is responsible for the bow seasons we enjoy today.

Brian Tessmann

PostPosted: January 25th, 2015, 11:29 pm 

I did read something in the newspaper about that course. My impression was that it will be geared toward people who have an interest in providing their own food as an alternative to the grocery store. There is a growing movement of people who prefer to know where there food comes from, including organic gardening, raising poultry, etc. Kind of a rebellion against all the chemicals, additives, growth hormones, etc. that line the shelves of standard grocery stores. Having more eyes opened to the healthy alternatives hunting provides to our diets is a good thing in my mind.

The type of people who tend to be drawn to those kinds of things often times may be left leaning on other issues. I think it's great that hunting can cross those lines and appeal to people on both sides.

PostPosted: January 26th, 2015, 8:11 pm 

Lets not let this thread die please. I'm curious to hear how it it plays out.

PostPosted: January 28th, 2015, 11:50 am 

Russell Lantier wrote:
Lets not let this thread die please. I'm curious to hear how it it plays out.

I just finished the 1st week in less than an hour. I aced the easy quiz.
There hasn't been anything anti hunting that I've seen. I like what I've seen... so far.

PostPosted: January 29th, 2015, 5:21 pm 

Great thread Tom. I signed up late but I think I am caught up now.

PostPosted: January 29th, 2015, 5:37 pm 

Dan Mathis wrote:
Great thread Tom. I signed up late but I think I am caught up now.

Thanks Dan.
IMHO, there is no better group of hunters to represent hunting and conservation than the members of PBS.
I believe it's our duty, as guardians of our pursuit, to get involved in this course. There are several forums in this class that need to have involvement and input from the PBS mindset and values.

There are participants of the course that don't really understand what makes ethical hunters tick. This class is a golden opportunity for we, the PBS, to put an honorable foot forward and educate the non hunting (and anti-hunting) pubic as to our ethics, motives, and beliefs. Heck, we may even recruit some quality hunters while we are at it.

PostPosted: February 1st, 2015, 10:11 am 

Hey Tom thanks for posting about this class. I am new to PBS and as I get older I am finding that my reasons for hunting, ethics about hunting and land conservation are changing. Living in Florida much of my hunting has been through leasing paper company property which is becoming more and more expensive . The management areas in my area seem overrun and under managed. For those reasons, land use, conservation and the right to public access is a major interest to me.
I have completed the first week of the class and I am very intrigued with Leopold's model of conservation and land ethics. I am looking forward to learning more and finding ways to become more envolved.

PostPosted: February 1st, 2015, 7:56 pm 

I just finished the 1st week's material. So far so good. I spent some time poking around the class forum as well. Overall, very positive attitudes up to this point.

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2015, 3:29 pm 

I finished the first week as well and will be starting the second week tomorrow as I have a full plate this evening.

P.J.

PostPosted: February 8th, 2015, 8:54 pm 

Just finished the 2nd week, and I'm really enjoying the material. I've been reading the forums a bit, but just can't spend as much time in there as I would like. I must say that I'm enjoying this format of learning. I like the 4 week format so far. It's digestable but enough time time dive a little deeper on certain topics, and let me know where I want to research more on my own.

PostPosted: February 10th, 2015, 10:28 pm 

Finished the second week. Didn't like the implication that hunting is an optional aspect of game management and that predators were a neutral impact. This is the first time I have seen the idea that deer populations will somehow level off at the carrying capacity of the land/habitat. And because they will achieve equilibrium the introduction of predators will do the same. And of course the thread discussions seem unduly focused on wolves and how their impact is over dramatized by hunters, outfitters, ranchers and other people that have to live with them. I am seeing a trend here that academia and state and federal wildlife managers are in denial about capital predators. I have not responded to any of it because I am merely a lowly Hunter Ed instructor. But I can tell you that in my part of MT the state keeps advertising that the predators are not an issue and the deer and elk populations are stable to increasing while all the time kill numbers and tag availability continue to decline. And bull to cow and buck to doe ratios are way out of balance. I will do the week three work but it seems to me they are using some of the Leopold stuff to justify expanding wolves. If it continues in the next lessons I will do something more useful with my time.

PostPosted: February 11th, 2015, 1:31 am 

I had commented in an earlier post that Aldo will be inducted into the "Wisconsin Bowhunting Hall of Fame" the first Saturday in March. I contacted the Aldo Leopold Foundation to see if they wanted to send a representative to accept the Plaque and I received a rather rude NO response. It at least told me where the Foundation views lied with bowhunting and hunting in general. In my humble opinion a part of Aldo's history they would like to either ignore or rewrite.

Brian Tessmann

PostPosted: February 15th, 2015, 5:42 pm 

Membership Status: Life Member
I signed up and began the course the first week that it was offered. Next week will be the fourth and final week of the course. While I do not share all of the views of my fellow participants I believe there is no anti hunting bias presented. Most of the issues center more around open or closed land either public or private and whether or not a private land owner should be compensated for allowing others to hunt the property. Also, a lot of debate about public land being locked up by private land owners and then having exclusive use of the public land by lot allowing public easement across their property to the public land. Many interesting thoughts, no easy answers.

PostPosted: February 16th, 2015, 2:42 pm 

I just finished week 4.
When I started this thread, I was suspicious that the class would be tilted toward tree-hugging and anti hunting. I'm very happy to say that I detected very little anti-hunting sentiment. There are lots of forums and sub forums and there are some skeptics on those, and there are many forums that I haven't read as of yet, but by and large, there is mostly a pro-hunting stance by forum posters.

The instructors and video lectures have shown no anti-hunting sentiment as far as I could see.

Week 1 was a breeze. Very easy to understand and the quiz was simple.
Week 2 got a little more challenging for me. Lots of charts and graphs... I never was any good at graphs in school :oops:
The 3rd and 4th weeks had some fairly "deep" articles to read. I was getting a headache having to reread sentences trying to comprehend the hundred dollar words. The print quality of one of the papers in week 4 was pretty shoddy and not always easy to make out the text.
All-in-all the class was enjoyable.

I originally thought the class (and forums) would need a strong pro-hunting presence to defend hunting. In reality, I think non hunters, anti hunters, and fence sitters would have benefitted more from the class than pro hunters. The class painted hunting as valuable, and important to the health of the habitat.
I'm very happy about how the class presented our hunting culture.