It is currently July 27th, 2017, 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: PBS Merchandise Vendor??
PostPosted: January 21st, 2015, 7:29 am 

Membership Status: Regular Member
What ever happened to the selection of a PBS Merchandise Vendor? Much discussion on this subject since 2011 and thus far, I have seen nothing published about PBS selecting a new replacement vendor. It was my understanding that the current vendor contract was to expire at the end of 2014, and that Councilman Corey Matson was charged with sorting out the candidates and submitting his recommendation to Council for approval.

PBS has been without a RELIABLE Merchandise vendor for far too long. How about some answers to the resolution to this subject? PBS needs someone who will serve the needs of PBS throughout the year and at PBS functions at certain venues where PBS Members gather, such as ETAR and OYG's, as well as banquets.

Dave

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: January 21st, 2015, 8:05 am 

We are actively working this out - and we have been since our last vendor dropped without notice.

Members did jump right in with input - many had fond memories of vendors past - many voiced dissatisfaction with more recent choices - we listened to all - and did research on our own -- and resisted the easy way out of just going with any first option simply to fill a hole.

We do have several options - all high quality - some with outstanding product. Good stuff costs more money that junk - we are looking for quality. Reliability and ethics are most important in my mind - we are looking for dependability, honesty, dedication to craft. PBS should own all logos. PBS should maintain all options and decision making. PBS should have honorable business agreements but should never be tied to a vendor to the degree we lose control.

I am always happy to discuss with any PBS member any options they may know about for us. 919-895-8106

I am thinking we will have this locked up by the time we meet in St Augustine in about 6 weeks - should have it operating for members 30 days or so after that.

Thanks - Cory<><
<----------------------<<<<<

PostPosted: January 21st, 2015, 10:38 am 

I certainly hope that a SENSABLE solution to this much dragged out decision which has gone on for far too long. I for one have grown tired of indecision by PBS and inefficient vendors who provide little to our organization. I am still of the thought that a certain past vendor we all know and most of my friends would agree (read "members") is standing tall and ready to step in has been ready for months while this extremely slow process has dragged on. You told me some time back that this would be done by the end of the year...sounds more like political speak to me.

PBS has gone for way too long , throughout at least 2 poor vendors because of folks not realizing this is actually important to the Members....

The discussion on this subject started back in 2011 and still has not been settled or resolved to date.... now you say 6 more weeks..... Didn't happen that way when I served on Council! I certainly hope someone wakes up and gets it right....

PostPosted: January 21st, 2015, 12:16 pm 
Site Admin

Membership Status: Life Member
Dave, I think you know by now that Cory doesn't do "political speak", lol. Ain't going to happen in a thousand lifetimes!! :o

This whole vendor thing really is more of a convoluted PIA than it appears on the outside. There are a lot more moving parts to it these days than order some shirts, and have the HO send out to those who send in a check.

Besides the quality issue and business practices, we have to make sure the potential vendors can get set up so members can order online, etc.

The reality is we have been plagued with vendor problems for years, maybe we are just unlucky. Maybe we go into it methodically and we'll get a solid vendor that will be good to go for years this time.

PostPosted: January 21st, 2015, 12:19 pm 

Membership Status: Associate Member
submitted two sources to Cory I have used in past...one I have been using for almost 20 years...very high quality products. The other I have used a few times for smaller jobs....also good quality but not the long experience to base this on as the first.

Good luck...finding a good tshirt silk screen operation that can also do custom digital embroidery is hard to find....without them cutting corners. I always prefer to get Haynes Beefy T or Gildan both in 100% cotton pre washed with high quality inks and materials.....so they look as good in 5 years as they did the day it was first purchased. You do get what you pay for in that niche.

Every time I have been given prices that were too good to be true...they were.

USAF (Retired)

PostPosted: January 21st, 2015, 2:01 pm 

Steve....I hear ya loud and clear :)

I just want see a decision...and let's move on! I only hope whomever is chosen shows up at our events, sewing machine in hand!

Dave

PostPosted: January 21st, 2015, 7:26 pm 

What many people fail to realize is, the small amount of merch our members order isn't worth the hassle for most people/company.

Doing onesy/twosy orders is a pain in the butt for a vendor.

Nobody is going to make silk screen shirts to order because that's not the way it works.

We think that we have 1,500 members and people should jump at the chance to do business with us. This would be true if we were actually ordering hundreds of a particular item at a time, but we don't. Every two years we order a few hundred t shirts for the banquet, but other than that, we are more of a PITA than our business is worth.

We need to come up with a couple styles of shirts that are silk screened and we buy a set number of a particular design and pay for them up front. Then, somebody will care to do business with us, because we are making a commitment and more importantly, allowing a business to make a profit.

I think the best thing for us to do where the merchandise is concerned is have several local vendors scattered around the country and allow for garments that fit the local climates.

Ron inadvertently answered the question of what is the problem with vendors-- Ron wants a T shirt that will last 5 years, a guy selling t shirts wants to sell you 5 t shirts per year.

PostPosted: January 21st, 2015, 8:44 pm 

Some good dialogue here, and maybe Ron & PJ have some plausible solutions.
I just want to say - like Steve H. & Cory indicated, this is not a simple issue, and yes there is some history here to consider. Yet, we (Council) are currently working on a solution that works "all around"...for Home Office, for the members, for the vendors...for our policies and procedures, etc.

I assure you, this is a high priority...and we are on it.

PostPosted: January 21st, 2015, 10:16 pm 

Membership Status: Associate Member
Very true PJ.... I have ran a few orders for biker and archery orgs in past and also military units I was assigned. 12-14 dozen is about most I have ordered at one time with quite a few PRE-ORDERS to get a sampling of popular sizes....then plus up each of the sizes a percentage that is consistent for all sizes....but be sure to UNDER BUY how many you think you will sell or people promise to buy...as they never buy what is promised....truth!!!! LOL

I do a party with a friend every year....sold 12 dozen our first year about 8 years ago...every year I design new artwork and start pushing for TSHIRT ORDERS 3 months in advance....I end up buying 4-6 dozen at most....usually get enough pre-orders paid to cover 80-90%...then I round up 1+ dozen for stragglers or those that forgot. I usually come home with two or three shirts remaining...usually in SMALL or MEDIUM sizes with LG, XL, 2XL being biggest sellers....and special order by pre order ONLY the 3xl and larger.

On demand is almost impossible to do unless we have a member with a manual screen setup in their garage and someone has already done the artwork and it has been transferred to the natural or synthetic screens for use...and he just orders boxes of shirts in each size and prints a few dozen at a time as to not waste too much ink. That is a hell of a lot of work....

We have not even talked about hats, shirts, fleece vests, etc for automated embroidery.

If you want quality that will last and know you may only sell one or two items per year for about 25-35% of the membership.....easy to do as long as set expectations at that level. If you go cheap on quality to sell 50%+ membership...first year will be good but most wont buy shirts that shrink or come unsewn more than once.

Definitely doable the staff will need to identify art....identify colors for shirts and how many colors for artwork (more color, more cost), pick a ratio of sizes (recommend some pre-orders to gauge interest) then buy a percentage more than pre-ordered....with intent to run out the first run. That will give you gauge on serious interest...then make second run on pre order and pad the order a bit more for some residual stock in MOST POPULAR SIZES ONLY.

My 2 cents....

USAF (Retired)