It is currently October 16th, 2017, 4:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Help with shipping meat!
PostPosted: January 20th, 2015, 9:36 pm 

Membership Status: Associate Member
I have a hunt in Ohio planned for this fall. I can only take 5 days off of work at a time, and with 30hours of drive time looking me in the face I am going to be forced to fly to be able to hunt more than 3 days.

My bow is a take down, so I can pack that in my carry on, along with the rest of my gear. Might ship arrows out beforehand.

My main problem is what to do with the meat and horns should I get something. I have an any sex tag, a doe tag and a fall turkey tag. I'm not sure what I would do with all the meat/antlers?

Any ideas guys?

Aim for the spot on the spot

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: January 20th, 2015, 9:51 pm 

Membership Status: Regular Member
My suggestion would be to consider donating the venison. Shipping charges would be too high. As for antlers, local taxidermist would help there.

Another option is if you can have a local person process some of the meat into jerky which is easy to ship.

When successful I make jerky and ship it in four directions for my kids. Even this is very expensive.

PostPosted: January 20th, 2015, 9:53 pm 

Shipping meat is always expensive and I would have a hard time paying to ship deer meat if I lived in a state full of deer.

There may be a couple of other options.

We have a lot of members in OH, PA, WV, IN and KY as well as MI.

You may be able to find a member that lives close enough to help you come up with a viable option that doesn't involve flying your meat home. Maybe shipping the meat via greyhound in a cooler full of dry ice? Or some other form of shipment that is cheaper than air freight.

As for the horns or fan, I would do some asking around to OH members and get some solid local taxidermy leads. Just take care of it locally then pick it up when it's done. A marathon road trip to pick up a mount is always fun.

PostPosted: January 20th, 2015, 10:42 pm 
Site Admin

I have carried bear meat from Alaska and elk from Colorado in my backpack as carry on luggage (and sent coolers of meat as checked bags). If you freeze it, it won't thaw - no need for dry ice. Bringing an elk home from Colorado a couple years ago, I shipped my gear back and came home with nothing but meat. Ended up with two 50 pound coolers and maybe 100 pounds in my pack. In your case, for a whitetail, you could pretty much get it all in your carry on backpack if you ship your gear back.

It isn't cheap per se, but way cheaper than shipping meat. You can do it though.

The Twisted Stave
Golden Specialties

PostPosted: January 21st, 2015, 8:14 am 

Like Ted I've brought back meat as both checked luggage and carry-on, both work fine. One thing to consider is bringing your cooler with you rather than buying on site. I've packed my gear in a hard sided cooler and included an extra duffel should the cooler be full of meat on the return, I've also rolled up a soft sided cooler and included it in my luggage- freeze the meat ahead of time and both work great. Antlers that won't fit in luggage you'd probably have to ship.

You mentioned bow in carry-on. At a minimum I'd check with your airline and get permission in writing, but I bet you'd be better off checking it or shipping it. definitely wouldn't want to be told at the gate you can't bring your bow on the plane!

PostPosted: January 21st, 2015, 8:25 am 

If you decide to go with bringing your meat home frozen, just be certain to kill the deer on your first or second day. Any processor will need 24-48 hrs to cut/wrap, and then it needs to freeze hard. Obviously this only works if you have time to get the meat ready to fly. Getting it home in good shape is the easy part...it will easily be good for 12 hrs in a good cooler.

If you can't bring it home, donate it to whoever you please. If you must have the meat yourself (I likely would) then you'll need to arrange for freezer storage and later overnight shipment. Maybe someone in Ohio is headed your way after your hunt? Still....30 hours is too long in my opinion. Given your time allotment you just don't have a lot of options here. Money will solve some of them....as it always does.

PostPosted: January 21st, 2015, 10:28 am 

Buy a cheap cooler, freeze the meat solid, and take the cooler full of frozen meat as a checked bag (cost $50 to fly my son's 3 deer from Texas...2 coolers that were within their size restrictions and weighed 48-49# each). Just remember to duct tape the heck out of it so that the TSA can cut it open and secure it with a single tab of tape. :-)

I took my little guy to Florida to fish 2 years ago, and took a collapsible cooler with us. I asked the Marina to freeze the fish for us, which they did. Then we picked it up in the morning, used the collapsible cooler as a carry on and we enjoyed the sweet flesh from both trips for months after arriving home.

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2015, 1:20 am 

Deer meat is easy. I wouldn't even worry about freezing it, just keep it cool and dry and you will be fine. Put in a cooler, seal it and put it in checked baggage. This happens on a daily bases in Alaska. Sometimes there isn't even a cooler involved. Put it on a pallet and send it Northern Air Cargo.

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2015, 12:33 pm 

Easy if you have access to a freezer. Like others have said check a cooler as luggage. We cut the meat into manageable sizes, wrapped and froze the meat and packed it in coolers. One 48 quart cooler will hold one boned deer and an average size 4x4 rack. Don't even think about dry ice. Tape with duct tape and include a roll in the cooler for the inevitable TSA search. My friends in MT and I just swap coolers.