It is currently June 28th, 2017, 5:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: 2014...my season recap
PostPosted: January 20th, 2015, 8:22 pm 

Membership Status: Associate Member
I lurk on the edge's of this website more then I post. So I decided to put some words and photo's togather to share what my season in 2014 was like.
First I am blessed to have a wonderful wife who not only supports my bowhunting, but also encourages me to continue, when the times get discouraged in the woods. Also, I have a very flexible job, which conviently has slow time most of the month of November and December. October isn't really hectic either! Not only is the fall a little slow at work, I work in agriculture, so a number the farmers I work with allow my access to there farms for bowhunting!
My season started off with an my first hunt for antelope. Actually it was my first biggame hunt with my dad. Who at 73yrs old bought a bow to try for his first bowkill!
Late Sept, we loaded up my truck and headed to Wyoming. The area we were hunting, my dad has rifle hunted for the past few seasons, so he a a little idea of where to go.
Antelope were everywhere! We figured we saw 200 everyday! The bucks were at the peak of the rut. It was so much fun to watch them chase does, literally for miles!
We had a blast using a decoy to bring the bucks into range. Our first morning, dad was by himself trying to decoy a buck into range, while I went after a buck I spotted, and thought I might be able to cut him off. Hours later, when I arrived back at the truck, we both had sheepish grins on our faces!
Dad, had decoyed a buck to 20 yards, and shot right over his back. He blamed his peep site! I told him he had a bad case of "buck fever". I too had a miss, that morning, again right over the back of a buck. I forgot to pick a spot! My dad said I had a bad case of "buck fever"!!! HA HA!
For the next 5 days, we continued to decoy, we crawled over cactus, through sagebrush, and through ditches to get within range. Dad ended up with 6 total misses on bucks. He still blamed his peep site, but also said he used the wrong pin on other misses. We wouldn't admit "buck fever" had him BAD!
On the 6th day of the hunt, we spotted a group of bucks and does, Dad gave me the thumbs up, and said I am going to watch! This must have been the dumbest group of antelope in Wyoming! I think there was 7 in total, I know two were bucks. They were all feeding along, I was able to cut the distance to 20yards. They never really seemed to mind this camo clad figure sneaking closer and closer.
At 20 yard, I promptly sent my arrow right under the chest of a buck. I couldn't believe I missed!! I also couldn't believe it but the buck just looked at me, took a few steps, then went back to feeding. The second shot, didn't miss! As the buck turned to run, I could see my arrow falling out the back side of his chest. He ran apx 40 yards, then collasped. Not 10 seconds from impact and my first antelope lay motionless on the prairie!! Dad and I were both whooping it up with excitement, he was able to watch the whole stalk/shot take place. It was 94degrees when I shot this antelope and we were 40miles from town so we made quick work, of the cleaning and dragging back to the truck.
Few pix from Wyoming:
I don't like seeing these:
Attachment:
IMG_2178.JPG
IMG_2178.JPG [ 250.78 KiB | Viewed 2251 times ]

Dad with "cactus elbow" from another stalk:
Attachment:
IMG_2150.JPG
IMG_2150.JPG [ 106.97 KiB | Viewed 2251 times ]

A common site everyday:
Attachment:
IMG_2161.JPG
IMG_2161.JPG [ 135.99 KiB | Viewed 2251 times ]

Antelope hunting at 95 degrees:
Attachment:
IMG_2166.JPG
IMG_2166.JPG [ 188.53 KiB | Viewed 2251 times ]

SUCCESS!
Attachment:
IMG_2180.JPG
IMG_2180.JPG [ 193.64 KiB | Viewed 2251 times ]

Unfortunately dad was not able to connect with his bow on a antelope. However he stayed another week longer and shot a dandy once rifle season opened.
Time to put the girls to bed, more hunting stories to come!

chris <><

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: January 21st, 2015, 1:23 am 

Membership Status: Regular Member
Cool. Post. Neat story. Can't wait to learn the rest.

PostPosted: January 21st, 2015, 1:33 am 
Site Admin

Membership Status: Life Member
Excellent, on board for more tales!

PostPosted: January 21st, 2015, 2:03 am 

Good story so far. Congrats on taking your first Lope. Waiting to hear how the rest of your season went.

Tony

PostPosted: January 21st, 2015, 7:19 am 

Well, at least I know there is more...why is it all MY friends who are the lurkers???

PostPosted: January 21st, 2015, 7:49 am 
Site Admin

Awesome story. I may switch to a compound - sounds like there are lots of built in excuses for missing. I could use that.

The Twisted Stave
Golden Specialties

PostPosted: January 21st, 2015, 8:04 am 

Very nice Chris!

PostPosted: January 21st, 2015, 11:56 am 

Good job Chris. Nice shot and neet pictures.

PostPosted: January 21st, 2015, 1:36 pm 
Site Admin

Great story; I especially liked the parts where you found the dumbest group of antelope in WY (that buck sure dissed you after your first shot, guess you taught him a lesson) and how you talked your 73 year old dad into trying bowhunting - sounds like he liked it. Good stuff. Now, more please.

Romans 10:15 “.......How beautiful are the feet of those that bring the Good News of Jesus...”

PostPosted: January 21st, 2015, 6:11 pm 

Very nice Chris. Antelope are on my list!

PostPosted: January 21st, 2015, 7:35 pm 

Very cool!!!

I really want to try decoying antelope!

PostPosted: January 21st, 2015, 9:20 pm 

I apologize for the delay in this story's continuation! I have my little girls asleep, and the woodstove cranking, so lets finish this story.
Due to home duties and catching up from vacation, I did not get back into the woods, until the second week of Oct. The weather was nice, and it was time for my annual daddy/daughter hunt. I have two girls who are 6 and 7yrs old, and in the early part of the season when the weather is warm, I try to get them out for at least one evening hunt. Again I am blessed to have a uncle who own 50acres, of river bottom ground 5 minutes from my house, so it's a great place to take the girls. The only down side is this area has been hit hard with EHD two years ago. I used to see 5-10/sit, now I didn't see one deer there this year in 8 sits. However the girls love to go, and watch the squirrels, woodchucks, chipmunks, the ocasional raccoon, and listen to the owls. I erected a two man ladder stand, that is easy to get to, and fits me and one daughter perfect. I took my 6yr old the first night. They love to wear there "sneak up make up", and the next night I took my older daughter.
My 6yr old Anya:
Attachment:
IMG_2260.JPG
IMG_2260.JPG [ 173.93 KiB | Viewed 2132 times ]

My 7yr old Addie:
Attachment:
IMG_2298.JPG
IMG_2298.JPG [ 161.54 KiB | Viewed 2132 times ]

The month of Oct. went by, and I didn't kill a deer. I had a few opportunities, but just couldn't close the deal.
As the Nov rut was heating up, I was seeing bucks chase at all hours of the day. By Nov 12, I still couldn't get any deer within longbow range. I was starting to get a little anxious, b/c Nov 15 is the gun opener in Michigan. Once those guns start going off, deer activity quickly becomes nocturnal.
About an hour before dark, I notice movement coming through the thickets to my west, three deer. All three were slowly feeding along. It took several minutes to be able to identify the two does and a buck. The wind was perfect, and I was hidden well, but all three seemed very nervous, especially the does. They fed to about 40 yards from me and then just stopped. For almost 20 minutes, they just stood looking at each other, looking in my general direction, looking behind them. I honestly don't think they knew I was there, but they just didn't want to move! Finally the buck couldn't take it no more, and he charged right at the does, separating them. They both trotted past me as I tried to find a shot opportunity but no luck. I turned to see what the buck was doing and he was coming as well, then he stopped broadside at 21 yards, with his head behind a tree. "Gosh...I hate when they do that!" The arrow found its mark perfectly! The buck took two-three bounds and as he did I could see the exit side was a tennis ball size glob of pink frothy blood! He then just stopped, looked around, and fell over! Again the power of a well place shot through both lungs, ends in a quick kill! After impact he travelled maybe 25 yards! The arrow I used was the same arrow/broadhead combo I killed my antelope with! Some mojo there.
Attachment:
IMG_2494.JPG
IMG_2494.JPG [ 213.49 KiB | Viewed 2132 times ]

Entrance side: You can see the entry hole just below the arrow shaft.
Attachment:
IMG_2501.JPG
IMG_2501.JPG [ 189.6 KiB | Viewed 2132 times ]

Lung on the entrance side:

Attachment:
IMG_2504.JPG
IMG_2504.JPG [ 122.33 KiB | Viewed 2132 times ]

My girls were happy for dad, and they LOVE deer meat!
Attachment:
IMG_2520.JPG
IMG_2520.JPG [ 152.59 KiB | Viewed 2132 times ]

This deer and the antelope were killed with a ACS 40lb longbow. Wensel Woodsman head, and GT 35/55 shafts. Total arrow weight is 600grs. With both animals I had complete pass through's. After the arrow went through the deer, it was stuck in the ground 5 yards, behind where the deer had stood.

There's more to come, just need to check the wood stove, and do some dishes. Will continue in a bit.

chris <><

PostPosted: January 21st, 2015, 9:56 pm 
Site Admin

Awesome awesome awesome!

The Twisted Stave
Golden Specialties

PostPosted: January 21st, 2015, 10:43 pm 

A couple days after I shot my buck...the snow began to fall, and fall and fall. In three days time I had over 3' of snow! My time was spent plowing my driveway, and all my neighbors. By mid December I was only in the woods a few times, and I was seeing deer, but just couldn't get within range.
I had two of my farmer friends, call me and basically beg me to come shoot some deer at there farms. I did some quick scouting at the first farm, and the sign was incredible! Paths beaten down into the dirt. However, in 5 evening sits, I did not see a deer. Actually I didn't see anything, no squirrels, no chipmunks, not even a bird! It was strange. So I headed to the second farm. The first three evening sits were more scouting missions then hunting. I consistently watched a large group of does coming out of the woods into a unharvested soybean field.
It wasn't hard to read the sign to know where the deer were crossing the ditch into the field. I just needed to wait for the right wind direction. On my first night after my "scouting" I was so anxious to hunt this field, I really wanted one more deer for the freezer. Upon arriving at the farm, another hunter who also hunts this farm, placed a trailer with a "shooting shack" on top 50-60 yards from the woods/ditch line (Michigan has a late doe season which a hunter can use anytype of weapon). The hunter wasn't there so I headed to my planned spot.
I read the sign, checked and rechecked the wind, cut a few shooting lanes, and placed my stand in the "perfect spot". 45 minutes before dark, I can see legs coming toward me. LOTS of legs. All does, the lead doe was about 40 yards from me when she spotted the "shack" in the field. She froze! For the next 30 minutes she stood, and stared at the "shack". She stomped her feet, but she was not going to into the field. In total I counted 30 deer in the group! I had to wait til well after dark, before they all moved on, so I could climb down without spooking them.
Christmas came and family time was busy, which was all great! However I still wanted one more deer for the freezer. I continued to hunt the same area, but now the hunter had removed his "shooting shack" (i talked to the guy later, and he never did shoot a deer from his shack). Three nights in a row I hunted and each night, I moved my stand closer to where I continued to see deer move through.
On Dec 31 I was down to my last night. I was very confident that this was the night! 30 minutes before dark, I can see legs moving. They were all working from north to south, about 75 yards away. It took about 15 minutes, before they all started to work toward my direction. Dark was coming fast, and I was willing to shoot the first deer who gave me an opportunity. A small doe was at 12 yards, and as I drew, she turned facing away from me. AARRGGHH! I looked to see a large doe coming close, she turned broadside at 23 yards, and put her head down to feed. My arrow made a giant whack at impact! As she bolted off, I could tell I hit her hard, however there were still deer within range, so I readied another arrow! I had another doe at 30 yards, and the shot looked good, however it must have hit a limb b/c I found the arrow later buried in the dirt, 35 yards past where the deer was standing. In all I had 18 deer within 25 yards!
Oh well, I took a compass bearing of the direction the wounded doe went. Then climbed down, and packed up my tree stand (I always carry my stand in and out on every outing). Once on the ground I followed my bearing for about 40 yards, then with my flashlight, I seen a big white belly! I had no exit hole on this doe, b/c my broad head had hit, and broke the off shoulder and was wedged in the shoulder blade.
I was so grateful for this doe! I took a few quick pix, then got busy getting her cleaned out and back to the truck. The temp was in the single digits and falling.

Deer trails in the field:

Attachment:
IMG_2892.JPG
IMG_2892.JPG [ 201.68 KiB | Viewed 2118 times ]

My treestand set up. (THANK YOU Steve O for your suggestion of a waist belt, makes a huge difference!)
Attachment:
IMG_2898.JPG
IMG_2898.JPG [ 195.84 KiB | Viewed 2118 times ]

Doe:
Attachment:
IMG_2906.JPG
IMG_2906.JPG [ 92.4 KiB | Viewed 2118 times ]

I shot this doe, with my trusty 52lb St Joe River recurve (I have killed dozens of animals with this bow over the past 15 years).200gr VPA three blade, and Easton Axis 400. Total weight of 650gr.

Hope you all enjoyed the story of my season! Sorry if I got a little long winded.
Thanks for reading!

chris <><

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2015, 6:00 am 

I can't speak for the rest of the crew here, but I enjoyed the pictures of your daughters having fun more than anything else. Those will last you a lifetime, and long after the animals are a hazy half-memory...I speak from experience.

Wonderful stories and pictures Chris....thanks for stepping out of the shadows!

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2015, 6:37 am 

Great stuff buddy.

Kevin, those girls and their curls are at lots of Michigan events. I suspect they will spend some time at the kids shooting area at Kzoo next weekend. Typical PBS kids...sweethearts.

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2015, 8:41 am 

Thank you Chris for the nice recap. We are looking forward to what this year brings your way.

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2015, 7:56 pm 

Looks like you had a great season. I also enjoyed the pictures of your precious Daughters.
Congrats!

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2015, 8:53 pm 

Thanks to everyone for there comments! It was fun to "relive" my season! Can't wait til this fall!

chris <><

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2015, 9:20 pm 

Thanks for sharing your season, I'd say you had a good one. Several nice shots on animals, time spent hunting with lots of your family, meat in the freezer. Doesn't get much better than that.

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2015, 9:45 pm 

Thanks for taking us along and congrats on a fun year!!

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2015, 9:52 am 

Membership Status: Life Member
Chris, that's about as good a season as one can hope; time with your father and girls along with meat in the freezer will always bring wonderful memories.

"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his power." -Ephesians 6:10
"Be Bold and mighty forces will come to your aid." - Goethe
"A lot of the physical is mental" - IronMind

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2015, 4:04 pm 

Sorry to disappoint you Steve but my girls and I will not be able to make Kalamazoo.
Imam planning on Compton and the MLA this summer.

Chris <><

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2015, 6:36 pm 

Thanks for sharing Chris.

This is not to disparage your hunting season, because by any standards, it was spectacular. But I'm in agreement with Kevin, Steve, and Mark... The pics of your kids sharing the fruits of your efforts with you had the greatest impact on us. God Bless Chris... Congrats!!!!!!

(Loved the face paint!)

PostPosted: January 24th, 2015, 7:50 am 

Really enjoyed it Chris. The pics of your girls are great!

PostPosted: January 24th, 2015, 8:54 am 

Charlie Janssen wrote:
Looks like you had a great season. I also enjoyed the pictures of your precious Daughters.
Congrats!

x2

PostPosted: January 24th, 2015, 9:26 am 

chris dyk wrote:
Sorry to disappoint you Steve but my girls and I will not be able to make Kalamazoo.
I am planning on Compton and the MLA this summer.

Chris <><

:cry:

That is a bummer. I will be at Compton (did anybody notice Bryan Burkhardt is the featured Saturday night speaker?) but if you can swing it the weekend after is SO much better for kids AND shooting at the MTB Jamboree in Grayling.

Definitely won't be at GLLI but should partake in the MLA Spring shoot as long as we are not turkey hunting/trout fishing.

PostPosted: January 25th, 2015, 8:55 pm 

Thanks for posting Chris congratulations on a great season! Good to see your daughters enjoy going to the woods with you.