It is currently July 27th, 2017, 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Bowkilled Coyotes
PostPosted: January 4th, 2015, 3:43 pm 

Membership Status: Associate Member
With Archery deer season winding down in Iowa I start thinking about coyote hunting.
I have a lot of respect for the coyotes ability outwit hunters and survive, but I never pass up an opportunity to help control their numbers.

I normally rifle hunt coyote from December to March but I will spoil any deer hunt to try to arrow one of them. I bow killed three coyotes in Illinois and one hear in Iowa.

One coyote kill, cemented a relationship with two elderly sisters that owned a small dairy farm operation in Illinois. Those two old gals weren't sure about bow hunting deer and thought that guns were more humane and ensured a quick kill.

I had permission to coyote hunt their farm and after a couple rifle killed coyotes, they reluctantly decided to let me bow hunt their land. A beautiful old farm with lots of hardwood timber and big buck rubs.

Next bow hunting season found me on their farm and perched in a hickory tree. Just before sunset I heard a familiar sound tiptap tiptap tiptap that meant a coyote or fox approaching. Turns out two coyotes were hunting south east of my stand at about 60 yds away. I kissed the palm of my hand an one coyote came right to the tree. I was excited, shot too fast and missed him. I called again and the other one ran up to the same spot, saw me and turned tail. He was running hard, I swung with him and connected at thirty yards with a neck shot. Unbelievable.

After I finished hunting, I put that coyote on my tailgate and drove up to the two sister's house. Now these two lived in the middle of a two mile square section with a 3/4 mile driveway. I always thought I was gonna meet a shotgun when I approached their door.

It was dark and The one gal yells out "whadaya want! " I told her I had a coyote I shot with my bow. "I'll get ma boots! she said". She looked that coyote over and proclaimed it to be the one coming into her yard killing her cats. She asked a couple times if I really shot him with that recurve bow. I assured her that I did and I would shoot every coyote that I could call in.

She thought about that for a second or two. "Well I guess you've got yourself a place to hunt don't ya!".

That's a digression but a story I like to tell. Anyway here's a picture of an Iowa coyote I called up one morning. I shot him off a log at ten yards. It was a beauty and after cleaning him up, made for a tasteful picture.

I'm sure there are some other great pictures of bow killed coyotes out there. I would sure like to see them!

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Bowkilled Coyotes
PostPosted: January 4th, 2015, 5:44 pm 

Congrats on your coyote! It looks like a healthy dog.

PostPosted: January 4th, 2015, 7:51 pm 

Membership Status: Regular Member
I beg to differ Charlie......don't look to healthy to me! :lol:

Way to go Duane.

PostPosted: January 5th, 2015, 12:14 pm 

Membership Status: Life Member
Ruin a deer hunt? I would contend a coyote with a bow is a better trophy than almost any deer. Duane, well done.

"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his power." -Ephesians 6:10
"Be Bold and mighty forces will come to your aid." - Goethe
"A lot of the physical is mental" - IronMind

PostPosted: January 5th, 2015, 1:31 pm 

I wish!!! Everybody is always saying how smart turkey are. I don't think they're smart, if fact I think they're dumb as a sack full of hammers. They're just paranoid, it's like hunting little crack-heads!! Nothing they do makes any sense, in my opinion.

Now a coyote,....that is a smart critter!

PostPosted: January 5th, 2015, 6:36 pm 

Ethan... we have a mutual friend that has killed several... but he's really quiet about all of it ;)
Maybe he'll show up up and chime in...

Me, I've never gotten to full draw on one of the rascals... I've gotten busted everytime...

Jonathan

PostPosted: January 5th, 2015, 8:34 pm 

Here you go.

PostPosted: January 5th, 2015, 8:34 pm 

:) You must be referring to old "killer Dunaway"!!

I've had a shot at one, but missed and he was G-O-N-E!!!!! real quick! Another thing, every one I have seen while on stand was moving fast and going somewhere, absolutely no curiosity whatsoever to my calling. Like I said, they're smart critters.

PostPosted: January 5th, 2015, 8:35 pm 

PostPosted: January 5th, 2015, 8:47 pm 

Duane,
Nice job on the coyotes! Keep up the good work. I look forward to meeting you and your daughter at the Spike Box hunt!!

PostPosted: January 5th, 2015, 9:27 pm 

Yep... That's him Ethan... He showed up... Has one of the coolest coyote mounts I've ever seen too...
Jonathan

PostPosted: January 5th, 2015, 11:49 pm 

shot a few with guns while hunting...not got my first with a bow yet while hunting. I have a rule on our places...if you see a coyote and dont try to take a shot if it is possible...you wont be invited again.

USAF (Retired)

PostPosted: January 6th, 2015, 1:26 am 
Site Admin

My last one, the only one I didn't flub my opportunity, over 23 years ago!

Attachment:
Coyote_ShirleyBasin_Nov92.jpg
Coyote_ShirleyBasin_Nov92.jpg [ 834.73 KiB | Viewed 2919 times ]

PostPosted: January 6th, 2015, 10:23 am 

Congrats to you all that have taken Yotes with your bows. I would like to take some Yotes with my bow, but they are not in the areas I hunt. Hopefully someday I will get the chance to hunt them.

Tony

PostPosted: January 6th, 2015, 2:37 pm 

I've killed three fox with my bow, but have missed every coyote I've had the opportunity on. I've missed at least 4 times on 'yotes. I'd really like to add one to my list. My congrats to all the successful PBS'ers who have taken a coyote.

PostPosted: January 6th, 2015, 6:10 pm 

I have only killed 1 and I kick myself regularly for not taking a photo of it.

PostPosted: January 6th, 2015, 6:24 pm 

Nice job guys! I've only taken/had one shot on a coyote. I was turkey hunting and while sneaking about I rounded a corner only to find a coyote messing with a log. In my haste (hey I was surprised too) I shanked the shot literally shaving off some top fur of the yote. Maybe he ducked? Man, I get pumped just reliving it LOL. The miss stunk, but I had a smile digging my Woodsman out of the dead tree!

PostPosted: January 6th, 2015, 7:18 pm 

Thanks Monte,

And right back at ya! Those are big healthy dogs!

I'm looking fwd to meeting you as well.

Its below zero here in North Iowa and I've set up a short range in my shop to keep my bow muscles tuned up.

Ok guys, there has to be alot more coyote killers out there. Lets see em!

PostPosted: January 6th, 2015, 9:26 pm 

A long time back I killed a gray fox as it trotted past my position. One cedar shaft right through the chest at 16 yards. Lucky.

I like coyotes and don't consider them varmints really. I could pound them here if I wanted, but I really like watching them. Still, I know I should take one now and then. I killed one in November while deer hunting...it was a 'grab the bow quick and bust him' deal which worked out for me. We had one acting too bravely near the house and I drilled him while my wife watched. That's two this year and I hope it's enough. Since then I've seen about a dozen more, with one group of three out back.

My partner killed a wolf in Alaska in September and clipped a coyote here in November. I can't seem to get away from the canines. Funny thing...I can't kill them 'just because', and I know with 100% certainty that they are not harming my local deer numbers at all. In fact, I have too many deer here and don't begrudge the coyote an occasional meal of young venison. That probably doesn't help me in a deer-lovers popularity contest, but I think the deer and the coyote have equal right to live. I take each of them selectively, if at all.

PostPosted: January 6th, 2015, 10:59 pm 

I have dropped the string on a handful and their ability not be there when the arrow arives is impressive. I did manage to anchor one a couple years ago...cant seem to find the picture but I will post it when I do. Amazing creatures.

PostPosted: January 7th, 2015, 4:25 pm 

I have taken these over the years. Unfortunately lost 2 that I hit and didn't find. The 1st one I took I had 5 come in from different directions that morning. I shot at 2 others that morning but they swapped ends and were 5 foot down the trail by the time the arrow hit where they had been standing. Really hard to get drawn back without them seeing you. Of the 4 three I called in and shot using a fawn distress call.

Last edited by Elmer Servis on January 12th, 2015, 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: January 8th, 2015, 7:05 pm 

I haven't shot any coyotes in a while, but have shot several over the years. Most of the pictures are not digital, but I managed to find this one and scanned it. This is from the mid nineties, two taken in heavy cedar cover while bowhunting for deer.

You need a distraction, good cover and a quiet bow on release to shoot a coyote. They are very aware of their surroundings for sure.

Attachment:
Double Coyotes.jpg
Double Coyotes.jpg [ 743.1 KiB | Viewed 2739 times ]

PostPosted: January 8th, 2015, 10:57 pm 

Photos of bow killed coyotes are special.

Maybe its the fact that they are so darn crafty and their incredible will to survive. A lot of us have enough experience with them to know that they are hard to get drawn on and most likely wont sit still for the arrow to get there.

Out of the four I got, three were taken while they were moving. I believe our chances are best if we draw and shoot while they're moving. One coyote I shot did a flip because the arrow went through and buried into a tree root that the coyote ran past. The arrow of course broke and so did the big Magnus broad head. Broke off one inch of the blade. That coyote had mange as did another coyote I took in Illinois.

That was before digital cameras and I do wish that I had photos of those coyotes. I have VHS tape of the one I described at the dairy farm on my first post. He had a rubbed spot on his back making the fur poor.

I missed a coyote one time hunting a tree farm southeast of the Quad City Airport. It came in and stood up on top of a log and was watching it's back trail. I figured others were coming too. All of the sudden the coyote stood on it's hind legs, did a couple yips jumped off the log and ran past me. I promptly missed and it just picked up the pace. A minute later and I heard more sounds coming from the direction the coyote was looking when it was on the log. Two farm dogs were tracking the coyote. I believe that coyote was playing with those dogs.

One morning my daughter Al was bow hunting deer with me and she shot a coyote. She said it moved when she shot and the arrow struck behind the chest. We tracked it and spotted it laying up ahead in the woods. I watched while Al circled but the Coyote figured us out and took off towards the river bluff. Al ran after him and chased him over the edge of the bluff, down to the river bank and for a half mile down stream where he finally gave her the slip. She really wanted that yote bad.

Anyway, thanks for posting guys. Bow killed coyotes are special.

Some great retro pictures from the past too. Elmer's got coyote pictures spanning a good chunk of bow hunting career......Great stuff!

PostPosted: January 11th, 2015, 3:04 pm 

My last one.
They are on the ball for sure. I miss way more than I kill.

Attachments:
2012-Coyote.jpg~c100.jpeg
2012-Coyote.jpg~c100.jpeg [ 4.64 KiB | Viewed 2651 times ]

PostPosted: January 14th, 2015, 2:42 pm 

Kevin is correct. Coyotes are very adaptive. They may not be getting many deer in his area, but around our place they are intently focused on deer. We have seen multiple times where two or three coyotes will keep deer in the cold November lake water for nearly an hour in sight of our tree stands, and who knows how long before that. In one case, the doe finally swam over 600 yards across the center of the lake to escape. My friend saw what he thought was a muskrat swimming along the lake shore, but when it "periscoped" up he could see it was actually just a does head moving on the surface. When she saw the coyotes approach, she lowered her neck back down and was submerged again accept the top of her head. The coyotes kept her in the water, one on the close shore line and the others up high on the bank to hold her attention. After 45 minutes of watching this tactic, my friend could not take it any more and got down out of his tree to chase the coyotes off and aloud the deer to get out of the water. But once the ice forms on the lakes with high banks, this technique is much more successful. Older does and bucks will usually just run at the coyotes and escape, while some young deer and fawns will rely on flight and go down the banks out onto the ice. If the conditions are right, which they usually are at the ends of the lakes where the snow is blown thin, the deer will loose traction as coyotes gain it. Nearly all of the lakes and ponds in our area will stained with deer blood and fur from coyote kills when we check during melt-off in the spring while looking for sheds. I have seen a fawn deer completely eaten over night on my lake ice this past December. I have also seen on several occasions bucks chasing does during the rut followed single-file, step for step, by multiple coyotes. Once the bucks push the does to exhaustion, the coyotes with more stamina, move in for the kill. I have taken 8 coyotes with my bow, but have missed more than that. Ha! They can really "jump the string" sometimes.

PostPosted: January 14th, 2015, 2:49 pm 

PostPosted: January 14th, 2015, 2:51 pm 

PostPosted: January 14th, 2015, 2:55 pm 

PostPosted: January 14th, 2015, 2:58 pm 

PostPosted: January 14th, 2015, 8:03 pm 

I killed a few over the years, but have missed more of them. They are pretty keen.