It is currently September 19th, 2017, 3:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: "Train to Hunt"??
PostPosted: December 31st, 2014, 10:04 am 

Membership Status: Regular Member
Me and a buddy are kicking around the idea of hitting a "Train to Hunt". For those not familiar with this, it's a sort of adventure race/obstacle course you run with your bow and a backpack. Looks like a lot of fun! Don't know what city we will try to do it in, but is anyone interested in a PBS showing on this? You can do a search and check it out, just look up (oddly enough!) "train to hunt".

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: "Train to Hunt"??
PostPosted: December 31st, 2014, 10:19 am 
Site Admin

Looks interesting. I didn't see any events in the SE US, did I miss them? I don't even bother shooting past 30 yards so I would have no chance against the compound shooters though.

Romans 10:15 “.......How beautiful are the feet of those that bring the Good News of Jesus...”

PostPosted: December 31st, 2014, 10:45 am 
Site Admin

It may be fun. I did a tough mudder last year and enjoyed that - this looks on par with a tough mudder minus ten miles and plus bows/shooting. Here's the thing - it seems pretty compound/high tech centric. I think most of us should probably prepare to do a boat load of lateral jump Burpees as penalty for missing targets. Still, it would be fun to show up with an old bear bow, run the course, and have a good time with fellow PBSers. If anybody wants to plan for one in the summer - and if we could get six or so guys, I think it would be worth doing.

http://youtu.be/g6xJFBMEheI

... Here's an explanation of the course.

The Twisted Stave
Golden Specialties

PostPosted: December 31st, 2014, 1:50 pm 

Jeff, they are all out west, but they do have a traditional only category. So we'll be competing against other trad guys. Not sure about the yardages though. If there is enough interest I'll get as much info as I can. Only down side is it would be a "jump on a plane" weekend, but it would still be fun!

PostPosted: December 31st, 2014, 3:20 pm 

Ethan, thank you for giving me ideas on ways to improve myself. Since leaving the Army, I've sworn off physical competition, but going thru their website has given me ideas that should make moose hunting easier in 2015.

The levels of fitness that are required to compete are intense, and for some guys, it really motivates them. All I can add is that whomever decides to do one of the challenges, you have my congratulations and support.

The videos on their site are directed towards the Bowhunter and will benefit everyone who watches them.

PostPosted: December 31st, 2014, 3:32 pm 

Glad you liked it Mike, I really appreciate the "cross fit" aspects of it. I've never been concerned with big muscles but endurance is a whole different ball game. I've suffered from Plantar Fasciatis (sp?) for the last couple of years and I think it's finally getting to the point that I can start running again, and what better way to prepare for an elk hunt?!!

PostPosted: December 31st, 2014, 4:15 pm 

ETHAN
ARE YOU SERIOUS?
You stated the only down size was getting on a plane.
I saw a couple you did'nt notice such as CARDIAC ARREST,SHORTNESS OF BREATH AS IN NONE. NOT BEING ABLE TO FLY BACK HOME CONSCIOUS. HA HA..
Seriously this sounds like fun. I once did a Muzzle loader Bi-athalon in vermont in minus 25degree temps and had a ball.
That was 2004 and I have often thought of putting something like this together in the spring or early summer as a wake up for an out west hunt.
Mind you,like most things like this I am a participent not areal competitor for placing anywhere.

PostPosted: December 31st, 2014, 4:41 pm 

Since April of 2012, I have undergone 3 surgeries to overcome planter fasciitis, and a few other issues, and my feet have grown from 10 1/2 to a size 13. I'm am completely pain free and have "Happy" feet. Heck, I might even put on my dancing shoes again.

As of right now, I have zero plans of ever running again (Running should be a spectator sport), but since I was a kid, I could walk for miles, especially with a nice load. Made me a great candidate as a M60 gunner or M60 assistant (pack mule for spare barrel and ammo).

What I found interesting in the videos on the website were his upper back (bow drawing muscle) exercises, and I will be employing them.

As of this morning, I'm 1 year into an experiment with my body (started on 30 December 2013), and I'm down 21# and the ONLY thing I have changed is my diet. I'm doing exactly everything we are told not to do...eating tons of saturated fats, and bacon /eggs every day. It would be simple to say all I did was remove 4 things from my diet and those would be: 1-grains of any kind (bread, pasta, rice, alcohol, etc.); 2- sugar of any type; 3-legumes (beans and peanuts); 4- dairy. Like I said, it would be simple to say I took those out of my daily intake, but it was harder than one could imagine, but did my best to adhere to those eliminations as close as possible.

I haven't felt better since I don't know when, ALL of my body aches are gone, I'm sleeping better at night, my blood pressure is awesome, and every one of my blood work #'s improved. Having a physical 11 months apart confirmed everything, and my Doctor had zero explanation, but told me to keep it up.

Now, with all that said, being it is the Holidays, I have let down my guard and enjoyed myself quite a bit, and I'm paying the price for it. My headaches have returned, sleep is often interrupted, I'm constantly tired, AND I have packed on the lb's, or I would have been down 29# for the year. I find it simply amazing that 2 weeks of fun can ruin 50 weeks of work. BUT, knowing what I do know, 2015 is going to be an amazing year, and one that I'm really looking forward to, and this thread is going to contribute.

My plan for 2015 is to continue with the Big 4 elimination, and add in endurance exercise. I'm looking forward to a rewarding experience, and hope to report back with favorable results in the future.

PostPosted: December 31st, 2014, 4:49 pm 

Thanks for posting this, the one in Idaho is not that far and I may have missed this.

Kind of stoked about this.........

PostPosted: December 31st, 2014, 4:55 pm 
Site Admin

Crazy idea that just popped (or pooped, not sure which) into my head: let's incorporate this idea into the regional gatherings this year that will feature a 3-D shoot. I know the Appalachia gathering in Baltimore in March will have a 3-D shoot, maybe one category could be "Train to Hunt"? I assume other such gatherings will have shoots too.

Romans 10:15 “.......How beautiful are the feet of those that bring the Good News of Jesus...”

PostPosted: December 31st, 2014, 10:04 pm 

good idea Jeff.... should be simple enough to make it happen.

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2015, 8:27 am 

Membership Status: Associate Member
Denton Hill used to have a Cherokee Run event. I think it was an archery biathlon.
Sounds like fun

Steve Hanes
"I intend to live so my grandchildren will say "What's that old fool up to now?""

I intend to live so my grandchildren will say "What's that old fool up to now?"

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2015, 12:18 pm 
Site Admin

I remember the Denton hill Cherokee run. It was a lot of fun. I think they only did it the first 2 or 3 years? You have to be an old school ETAR attendee to remember that. I remember it had bow shooting, tomahawk throwing, but I forget the other stations? Was their a blowgun station? I seem to remember that - but maybe I am just thinking of Stacy groscup's blowgun stuff. I think the Cherokee run was pretty short too wasn't it?

The Twisted Stave
Golden Specialties

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2015, 11:49 pm 

Membership Status: Associate Member
I may do the one in Oregon.