It is currently November 24th, 2017, 6:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ] 
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: December 31st, 2014, 10:02 am 
Site Admin

Membership Status: Regular Member
Anybody else have a New Year's bowhunting-related resolution? Maybe to bowhunt a new state, or new animal? My first is to hunt mostly with a longbow in 2015, while my second is to finally arrow a turkey.

Romans 10:15 “.......How beautiful are the feet of those that bring the Good News of Jesus...”

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: December 31st, 2014, 10:38 am 

Well, every year I usually make the same resolution, and every year I say..."next year".... Its to take a deer with my self bow and a stone point. The last few years, my time in the field has been very limited, so I keep putting it off. I have a half dozen arrows tipped with heads that my cousin knapped.

PostPosted: December 31st, 2014, 10:59 am 
Site Admin

... Kill a pope and young buck in PA. I. Know lots here don't like the scoring stuff, but I think they are worthwhile personal goals. I killed a 124 and a 121 in the last three years in PA, but not quite 125. The 124 was 127 with three lousy inches of deductions - still a beautiful buck. I've always wanted to get one in PA. I hunt where they live - my problem is patience, I always rationalize and shoot a smaller buck ... You know "not P&Y, but I always wanted to kill one with this bow" - "not P&Y, but my dad put in this tree and would be cool to kill one from his spot", or "not P&Y, but I totally had this buck figured out, I need to complete the encounter", etc. in the end, it is just fancy rationalization - if I am going to kill a PA 125", I have to pass up those pesky 8 points ..... I am just not certain that I can exercise such self-restraint - I like killing bucks too much, but alas it is my goal - maybe next year is the one.

The Twisted Stave
Golden Specialties

PostPosted: December 31st, 2014, 12:08 pm 
Site Admin

Membership Status: Life Member
Ted Kinney wrote:
... I killed a 124 and a 121 in the last three years in PA, but not quite 125.

I'd much rather kill a 124 and a 121 than a 125+!!! Well, maybe if the 125+ was like 150+ I might change my mind, maybe.

PostPosted: December 31st, 2014, 12:29 pm 
Site Admin

Well, a 124 and a 125 taste the same. .... Another one of my rationalizations.

.... I probably won't achieve this goal. There are always too many good reasons to shoot the buck in front of you; and very few good reasons to wait for the one who may never be. It's a good thing spikes and four points are no longer legal here.

The Twisted Stave
Golden Specialties

PostPosted: December 31st, 2014, 12:32 pm 

Membership Status: Associate Member
Well, after my left rotator cuff heals after I strained it at the gym (luckily, no surgery needed) I'm determined to lose all (well, most) of the fifty pounds I've gained these last five years after my son was born, and get back into fighting shape not only for my general health, but so I'm not huffing it like I have been up the hills and mountains here in Oregon. I'm tired of not dying of a heart attack being something I'm proud of after a long trek in the woods. Pathetic.

Oh, and of course continually working on my shooting and actually finding some animals this year.

"All hunters should be nature lovers." - Theodore Roosevelt

PostPosted: December 31st, 2014, 1:16 pm 

I will finish my bowshop and then finish and hunt with the yew English longbow and snakey osage bow I have started. I resolve to make both of them hunt-worthy and the best representation of my skills to date.

I am also tweaking my diet tomorrow to Paleo and will try my best to complete all 3 P90X workouts by year's end.

... I hope to shrink the size of them hills up at camp a bit :^)

PostPosted: December 31st, 2014, 1:50 pm 

Arrowing a turkey (no tent) is always on my list. Most years it doesn't happen but that's one chase that never gets old to me.

The biggie for me this year is to hunt Alaska. Deposit has been sent so odds are decent at this point. I quit counting chickens, though.

PostPosted: December 31st, 2014, 2:09 pm 

To get a hog at end of January.....my first traditional turkey in Spring....a black bear in June...and a whitetail or two in Fall so I can apply for regular membership. :)

USAF (Retired)

PostPosted: December 31st, 2014, 6:19 pm 

Hunt more different places, more species, and by more different methods. Time to get out of the treestand/whitetail groove I'm in. I am moving this coming month, and will be giving up hunting on my property that I owned. I'll still have some private land to hunt, but I'm going to ground hunt some marshes, some north woods swamps, big river bottoms via kayak, and whatever else might turn up. I haven't winged it like that for many years.

PostPosted: December 31st, 2014, 7:40 pm 

Mine is to hunt the whole calendar year of 2015 here in Maryland with 3 different vintage Bear recurves. Starting with a 1953 Static Tip Bear Kodiak. This bow is 61 years old, and is in really great shape for a bow that old. It is 64" long and 58#s @ my draw. I will be using the old bear greenie razorheads with all 3 bows. Wish me luck(LOL).

Tony

Attachments:
IMG_0350.JPG
IMG_0350.JPG [ 1.22 MiB | Viewed 2884 times ]

PostPosted: December 31st, 2014, 8:15 pm 

Same one I make every year ... To get out and hunt more! Maybe in 2015 I will actually keep it.

PostPosted: January 1st, 2015, 3:15 am 

get a white tail Buck , Never got one , ( only hunted white tail three Times)

I have to pass up those pesky 8 points ( Dang wish i have that problem TED ;) )

PostPosted: January 1st, 2015, 12:26 pm 

Draw a Wy elk tag in the bighorns and drop 20 lbs so I can hunt hard for two weeks. Also need to push myself harder in my whitetail scouting so I can shoot a good whitetail. I did take a good 8pt this fall but there is potential to do better.

PostPosted: January 1st, 2015, 1:47 pm 

Heck, I had such a great 2014 I don't think I can ever top it. Not sure what to wish for, but I do plan on trying to do it 20# or so lighter.

I do resolve to try to hunt as smart as I am capable of and to do everything within my power to make a good clean shot when and if I am presented with an opportunity. Beyond that, everything is a blessing

PostPosted: January 1st, 2015, 8:29 pm 

To try to be more like Joe Lasch!!! Critters fear him!!

Every year I try to learn from the previous years mistakes and become a smarter bow hunter. And, I want to arrow a turkey without my blind. HOPEFULLY, get to hunt elk again too.

PostPosted: January 1st, 2015, 10:31 pm 

Now that my right rotator cuff is almost 90%, I can start shooting again & hunt 2015

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2015, 6:41 pm 

To hunt every chance I get and enjoy every second I'm doing it while soaking in the small things.

PostPosted: January 4th, 2015, 2:38 pm 

I need to drop 10 Lbs in draw weight. I'm firmly into my 50's and although I feel like I still function well at 70 Lbs draw weight, I would do better on those cold November mornings when the muscles are cold.

I make my own bows, but I have only hunted with one recurve and one longbow for the last 10 years. They are 70 Lbs at my 31 1/2 inch draw. Both use the same arrows

If I build a new recurve this spring it will commemorate 40 years of bowhunting whitetail deer.

I'm thinking 60 Lbs at my draw and I will probably shorten the bow from 64" down to 60". The reason is that I shoot my daughter's 60" bow very well and at my draw length it pulls a bit over 60 lbs.

For fun I attached some pictures of some of the bows I've made. It's more fun to read posts with pictures I think.... Anyway the darkest bow is the one I've been shooting for 10 years. The other two I made for friends. I'm thinking maybe building one similar to the cocobolo / zebrawood handle with red elm limbs bow pictured....Hope I can still pull it off.....Ha!

PostPosted: January 4th, 2015, 8:35 pm 

You do nice work, Duane.

PostPosted: January 5th, 2015, 11:51 am 

Resolutions? None really, but along the order of plans and hopes which affect my bowhunting:

1. Take my gal to Alaska this next summer/fall for a diy hike/fly/tour vacation.

2. Follow my hunting heart and pursue the fun wherever I find it.

3. Begin planning for another trip to Hawaii in '16 most likely.

4. Considering a solo diy bear & caribou adventure via bush flight into eastern Alaska.

5. Work hard on my bow-shooting form, technique and accuracy.

PostPosted: January 5th, 2015, 12:11 pm 

My goal is to kill a large bear here in Arkansas this year. I've been trying for the last couple years but my efforts have been half hearted as other hunts at the same time have gotten in the way. I'm going to put forth full effort this year to get it done.

PostPosted: January 6th, 2015, 1:03 am 
Site Admin

Get back on my pre-2013 schedule of doing 8-9 hunts per year.

PostPosted: January 6th, 2015, 10:34 am 

WOW! Those are some beautiful bows Mr. Krones. Looks like you are a skilled craftsman at making bows. Thanks for sharing the pics of your work.

Tony

PostPosted: January 13th, 2015, 1:34 pm 

Tony and Jeff,

Thanks for saying that about my bows. It's just a hobby that I wish I could do more of. I dont want to be a bowyer so to speak. That's alot of very hard work. Better left to buisness minded folks with a love of archery and tolerance of difficult customers..Ha.

All in all I've made less than a couple dozen recurves and only one long bow. Materials are not cheap any more.
If I follow through with plans for a 40 year whitle tail anniversary bow, maybe I'l post pics of it.

PostPosted: January 14th, 2015, 10:44 am 

Nice looking bows Duane. Hope you'll consider making one and entering it in the bowyer competition at the upcoming PBS convention in Florida in 2016. There is a division for non-professionals as well as professional bowyers.

PostPosted: January 14th, 2015, 11:17 am 

Resolutions!

*Get back on my diet and stick to it. I lost a bunch of weight in 2013, but I found it in the refrigerator in 2014.
*Get Bo Slaughter a nice big gator in Florida.
*Help my oldest daughter take a bear in New Brunswick.
*Try to teach Connor Sample to fish like me instead of his dad.
*Increase the number of hunts I take to match Holchin's reduced schedule.
*Convince my wife to get a second job so I can hunt as much as Holchin.
*Try to show a little more restraint in shooting 100" deer in Indiana and waiting for the big boy.
*Go for a three peat as the Hudson Valley Bass Anglers Club Champion.
*Do all I can to promote PBS via the Regional program.
*Try to convince that Dam Engineer Holchin that I am NOT from New York City!
*Try to convince AARP to stop sending me membership offers. I'm not that old!
*Try to remember all these resolutions...maybe I am that old?

PostPosted: January 25th, 2015, 4:45 pm 

I need to just get back to basics and hopefully get back the focus ive had in the past, my scouting has been lacking, and this year I let the biggest deer ive ever seen in the woods get by me at 10 yards because I was late getting to my stand from helping a friend, then when in stand, wasn't really ready, my bow was on the hook and I was looking back behind me for to long of a stretch, when I turned around, he was 15 yards walking towards me, by the time I got positioned and my bow off the hook, it was just to much movement, he saw me and blew, hopped out to 20 yards and walked out of my life....
but I have gotten lax the past few years, doing things I would have never done in the past, just stupid stuff such as reading and texting friends and messing with my phone and such.. ive gotten my equipment really lined out the past few years and have quit switching bows around and such.. I just need to get my focus and energy back on tract and do a better job of scouting and thinking of something hunting related every single day like I have for so many years.

PostPosted: January 25th, 2015, 5:42 pm 
Site Admin

Great post Dave Lay. I think a lot of us need to shake it off and get back to the basics.

PostPosted: January 25th, 2015, 7:39 pm 

Must run in the Lay family Dave! Me too on some of yours. I've stop that phone stuff from the stand and will leave it closed except for emergencies and such.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]