It is currently September 20th, 2017, 12:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: December 31st, 2014, 8:43 am 
Site Admin

Membership Status: Regular Member
So, my wife called me at 1pm and said, in an unnecessary panic "are you butchering deer in the kitchen today?"

... I calmly said, "yup."

"You have to stop and clean up, the chimney guy is coming at 2."

Still calm, "I think it will be ok, Amy; I'll take care of it". ... And continued butchering.

The chimney sweep arrived. I greeted him and he went to work and then I resumed mine. It looked like this interaction was going to go down without me freaking out the normal man with my 'blood and guts'.

Note - this was only an issue because just yesterday, the power company's meter maid came by and found this (see pic)ten feet from the meter. Although I was not home, my wife was and reported that the meter maid was horrified and basically ran back to her car.

(The result of a good Saturday evening hunt with my bear B mag. Two does at ten yards an hour apart)

At any rate, my wife, while supportive, sometimes gets worried how others perceive me given that I am always either actually killing things or talking about how I would rather be in the woods attempting to kill things or preparing to go kill things. So, I can understand her concern over the chimney guy - it was well intended and considerate to the non-hunting majority ... But, you know, this is my own home ... I was going to continue my meat making.

I always simply thought I had a wood burner - but I learned today that I actually have a "system" - I learned it is a system because he said system like 73 times. So, as he was looking at my system, I went back to the kitchen and was working on my task.

Then, as he was walking out to his car, I heard him say "Holy Cow!". His exclamation came from inside my house but not near my wood burner. I thought "wow, my system extends all the way over to my kids playroom". Figured I should check it out.

I found him standing wide eyed in the playroom gaping into the next room over. He was looking into what my kids call 'daddy's room'. This was his view.

I said to him, as though I was giving my 8 year old permission to enter a candy store, 'go ahead in ... It's ok'. And, he did go in. I followed. After a long inspection of the longbow wall, he spent equal time on the recurves. He explained that he has been bowhunting for a few years with his bear agenda/arena/or some such bear compound. He killed a doe this year and now he is hooked. Then we toured my Bear collection to show him where his bow's manufacturer started.

.... And then, I hooked him. Innocently, he asked me "your collections are neat, but what do you hunt with." I grabbed the bear takedown off the wall that did the business on Saturday, and I said "you want to see what this thing can do?" He thought I was going to give him a shooting demo, but instead we walked into the kitchen and I showed him this.

From there he was all in. We BS'd while I vacuum sealed two entire deer. At one point, I asked him if he had any other appointments and he said "Well, this job is a little more complicated than I anticipated." In the end, he got a good impression of traditional bowhunters, I gave him my extra copy of the last issue - of course showing him the short write up of my daughters longbow toad kill. Good times - unexpected - but fun. Who knows maybe a future PBS member.

The Twisted Stave
Golden Specialties

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: December 31st, 2014, 9:12 am 

Membership Status: Associate Member
Ted,

You should bring him to the OYG in Baltimore next March. BTW, why are there vice grips on the black bear...or is that part of your "system" too? :lol:

PostPosted: December 31st, 2014, 9:42 am 

Larry I think Ted was practicing his dentistry skills on that bear. :D

Great story Ted...

PostPosted: December 31st, 2014, 9:47 am 
Site Admin

Those are actually deer jaw bones, so Rob was pretty close on the dentistry deal .... They do look like vice grips though.

The Twisted Stave
Golden Specialties

PostPosted: December 31st, 2014, 9:58 am 
Site Admin

That is classic, Ted! You done good.

I usually stay at my mother-in-law's house when back in PA and have been known to hang deer from the basketball rim and once even hung/butchered a bear from the front porch. My wife is like your Amy, concerned with what the neighbors or general public thinks about me. Once I was skinning a deer and went inside for a minute. I returned to find 4 kids inspecting the deer, and after a brief anatomy lesson, put them to work picking off hair! When they left, my wife kept expecting the police to arrive any minute and take me away.

Romans 10:15 “.......How beautiful are the feet of those that bring the Good News of Jesus...”

PostPosted: December 31st, 2014, 10:47 am 
Site Admin

Ha ha ... Yes, my wife was certain the police were going to arrive after the meter maid fiasco.

The Twisted Stave
Golden Specialties

PostPosted: December 31st, 2014, 4:39 pm 

Membership Status: Life Member
Ted, it's been awhile, but we can count on you to come up with a gem of a story. Good for you on all counts. Glad to hear the mags are working fine.
Thanks for sharing.
Dennis

PostPosted: January 1st, 2015, 3:12 pm 

That's funny!!!!

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2015, 8:35 am 

Great Story Ted! It's a great lesson in what we do. Not to hide from public perception but to do what we love and own it. Teach others who are curious and well, let meter maid ladies remove themselves from your dwelling as quickly as possible.

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2015, 11:29 am 

Cool story and thanks for sharing. I bet a number of folks on here have a similar encounter. Mine was with the sewer cleaner guy, he is now a stickbow shooter.

PostPosted: January 4th, 2015, 10:50 am 

Fantastic story Ted!

The acorn and the oak tree comes to mind;) Takecare my friend.

PostPosted: January 4th, 2015, 11:06 am 
Site Admin

Thanks Jeff! Means a lot from you.

The Twisted Stave
Golden Specialties

PostPosted: January 5th, 2015, 10:34 am 

Ted great story - good job on the deer!
<><
<---------------------<<<<<

PostPosted: January 13th, 2015, 10:03 am 

Good stuff! I hadn't noticed the "vice grips" and laughed out loud when I went back to look after reading Larry's comment. Honestly!