It is currently September 19th, 2017, 3:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: December 30th, 2014, 4:49 pm 

Membership Status: Associate Member
Hello Appalachia Region, actually hello anyone...

We are putting on an Odd Year Gathering in March of 2015 outside of Baltimore, MD and I am looking for donations for our auction and raffle. I already have some nice items and one member who goes bowfishing for stingray has donated a day on the water going after stingrays.

That got me thinking and I was wondering if anyone would like to donate a "hunt with me" for the auction where you would host a PBSer or non-PBSer for the weekend, week, whatever, and take him or her hunting in your neck of the woods. Basically the same as when many of us say, "When you are in <name of your state here> give me a call and we will go chase some <name of game animal here> together." Some good fellowship, a chance to show folks what the PBS is about, and the PBS will make some money off of your good will and generousity.

And it doesn't have to be P&Y whitetails either, any game, big or small, would be good.

So, if you would like to donate a hunt for this OYG auction please post it here or on the OYG thread at viewtopic.php?f=85&t=2475.

Thanks to all,

Larry Schwartz

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: January 5th, 2015, 11:15 am 

Membership Status: Associate Member
So, we have had 76 views on this so far, is anyone interested in having a PBS brother, or sister, come hunt with them this fall and offering that as a hunt for us to auction off at the OYG in Baltimore in March?

PostPosted: January 7th, 2015, 11:54 am 

Membership Status: Regular Member
Larry, I think it is a good idea. Most of us are pretty uncomfortable with the pressure of having someone pay to hunt with you. I'm guessing that might be a little bit of the reason for the low response. That and most of us are so booked up with prior hunts and our buddies are already joining us on many others.

Other thoughts as to why this thread didn't take off?

PostPosted: January 7th, 2015, 1:32 pm 
Site Admin

Membership Status: Life Member
Terry Receveur wrote:
Other thoughts as to why this thread didn't take off?

1). Saving it up for the Biennial Gatherings as they are probably not likely to have two good bidders at a small event; and 2). most people need to be specifically asked--the power of suggestion (the net was cast too wide)

PostPosted: January 7th, 2015, 2:58 pm 

Here's another idea (and just an idea) to give this auction item more "regional program significance."

An example: Say we do the SW Oregon Nov. Blacktail hunt in 2015 and this person is bidding on the opportunity to be a "preferred participant"...without having to do dishes or cook in camp, and getting to be the shooter during "some" of the antler-rattling sessions with host members - who have done this. Or, having a pre-established tree stand provided. So it is not being "guided" but given some "honorary perks" during a membership hunt. We would not want to detract from hunts that are auctioned at Biennial Gatherings, or give the impression of truly "guiding," but might be able to make it a little nicer for the guy or gal willing to donate 2,3, or $400.00 dollars to PBS, and to maybe become seed $ for a "regional program fund".

If this were to become a pattern for membership hunts we would want to carefully decide on the perks, privileges, and with limits that are distinctly shy of a guided situation.

Thoughts anyway...

What do you say?

JA

PostPosted: January 8th, 2015, 12:13 pm 

Jim, you hit on a great point. Many states are very particular about their guiding laws. Any payment / donation for hunting with someone could cause some trouble. Be sure to check your local laws very carefully.