It is currently October 16th, 2017, 4:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: December 23rd, 2014, 1:43 pm 

Membership Status: Associate Member
I am getting ready to start some crop damage hunting here in CT on Christmas tree farm which will get me hunting into the late winter. Now here in CT we don't get crazy weather like in the mountains out west or in Alaska, but it can get nasty.
I want a jacket that will be quite, rain proof/ storm proof if you know what I mean. I don't mind spending a little money on good stuff. I have a Mule deer hunt I am planning for in 2016 and more hunting adventures in the works so this gear will get a work out in the future I hope!
Most of the Kuiu and Sitka gear seem to be more geared towards the mountain hunting not so much whitetail, I know Sitka has a whitetail section how much do you guys like it.
I do like the KUIU better from the little I have and the Sitka stuff always seemed to be small on me. But never got real chance to try some of the bigger sizes, Cabelas has no selection on the Sitka gear to try on here in Hartford CT.
I am a Easton 4Core dealer and stocked up on there base layering wool and few other items. But this will be my first chance to get my hands on there stuff other then one piece a Selway vest that was build like a tank I hope the rest is as well. But there is more out there and would love to know what you like and don't like.

Most of reps I have talked to CANT say anything bad about there products they are trying to sell (ITS ALWAYS BETTER THEN THE NEXT GUYS). I bought some Badland Pants from a rep and they broke on the second trip into the woods. So not to happy with that stuff.

So how about it guys whats in your bad weather arsenal!!

I have been eye balling the KUIU
Guide DCS Jacket

Attachments:
transp.png
transp.png [ 921 Bytes | Viewed 1938 times ]

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2014, 1:46 pm 

This is the jacket I am eyeballing anyone have one and can give me some honest feedback

Attachments:
50011-2T.jpg
50011-2T.jpg [ 99.35 KiB | Viewed 1937 times ]

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2014, 3:48 pm 

Hi Gary,
I can't give you any insight about Kuiu or any of the Hi Tech hunting outerwear. I can tell you that I bought a gortex storm jacket and pants made by Redhead for Bass Pro last season for elk hunting in Colorado with my Boys and have been very happy with it! My son Jared, who has Kuiu outerwear thinks it has a quieter finish than his gear. It is "eastern" type Realtree camo, but I doubt the mule-deer or elk will give a hoot about that! It was pricy, but still half the cost of the "western", high tech camo.
Just sayin...
Harry

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: December 26th, 2014, 9:27 pm 

Just order a olive drab wool skirt and you will be GOLDEN BRO!! :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: December 26th, 2014, 10:14 pm 

Give Bill or Laurie Sheppard a call. They are the new owners of Grey Wolf
My GW jacket with wind stopper is awesome for cold nasty weather.

PostPosted: December 27th, 2014, 1:17 pm 

Gary, with the suggestion from Mike Mitten and Steve Osminski I purchased the Sitka Fanatic set and for stand hunting whitetails I have never been happier. Coupled with the excellent base layers they produce I am extremely comfortable in temperatures that I used to find stressful.
In fact, I liked it so much that I ended up selling off a lot of my old wool and also bought a Sitka Stratus setup for milder temperatures.
Wind does not get through this stuff.
With my Fanatic setup I only need to wear the merino wool base layer underneath and this keeps me comfortable down to 15 (the coldest temp. I have hunted in this season), and probably less.
I also have the Kelvin vest that is designed to go under the jacket but I have never worn it as I have not yet needed it. The vest is great because it can easily fit in my fanny pack.
To top it off I use the Stratus beanie and the neck gaiter.
I am the type of guy that gets cold easily and this system has been excellent.

PostPosted: December 27th, 2014, 1:51 pm 

I have been using the rain gear from Predator Camo for 5 years now. Very tough and quite.

http://stjoeriverbows.com/catalog/index ... cts_id=250

PostPosted: December 27th, 2014, 5:49 pm 

Membership Status: Regular Member
Gary, I have a guide jacket and love it. That being said, it is really designed for active hunting. If your going to be on stand I'd got with something heavier. I have King of the Mountain wool and it's hard to beat for stand hunting in cold temps. BUT, if I had it to do over I would seriously consider the Fanatic stuff from Sitka gear. In fact, i've been kicking around the idea of trying to procure some for the future!

PostPosted: December 27th, 2014, 8:15 pm 

I have Davids Predator Adrenaline jacket and also have the Sitka Stratus jacket and bibs. I like the Predator jacket much better. The Sitka stuff seems to slightly stick to tree bark when leaning against it and makes enough sound a deer can hear when pulling it off. I will be interested in the heavier stuff next time I see David at a show or gathering.

PostPosted: December 28th, 2014, 10:04 am 

Bill Kissner wrote:
I have Davids Predator Adrenaline jacket and also have the Sitka Stratus jacket and bibs. I like the Predator jacket much better. The Sitka stuff seems to slightly stick to tree bark when leaning against it and makes enough sound a deer can hear when pulling it off. I will be interested in the heavier stuff next time I see David at a show or gathering.

Glad you like the Adrenalin jacket Bill. The other coat you are talking about is the High Plains Great coat

http://stjoeriverbows.com/catalog/index ... 228e4dd813

PostPosted: December 28th, 2014, 11:22 am 

All my experience has been with wool and Kuiu. I have two guide jackets like the one you posted. I use a solid color Guide jacket as my everyday around town jacket and its not very warm by itself. Like someone stated above the kuiu gear is made for active mountain hunting not sitting in a treestand. I have the kuiu insulating jacket as well and it is very warm but the outer shell is too noisy for my taste, even as a mid layer, to wear in a treestand.
I have several pieces of Gray Wolf wool and have been very happy with them. Combined with some merino wool base layers and you should be good to go for most conditions you'll see. The GW wool handles a lite rain well too. I have heard good things about the Sitka Fanatic series but I have no first hand experience.
Something else to keep in mind. I've always worn some kind of a hat during cold treestand sits but I recently started to use a neck gaiter and was pleased with how much extra heat retention it provided.

PostPosted: January 6th, 2015, 10:06 pm 

Thanks for all the advise on gear guys. I might give the KUIU jacket a try looks like it my do what I need with some layering underneath. Not all my hunting is in a stand. So I think that piece of equipment might be the ticket. I did look look Fanatic Jacket it was a med so couldn't try it on in store but looks really nice.
Lots to think about

PostPosted: January 7th, 2015, 8:20 am 

All good ideas. But coats and pants are easy. My trouble is my hands. A long time ago. Cabela's sold a leather front, fleece backed glove made to shoot with. I haven't seen anything like it in years. I normally shoot with a tab. What does anybody else do to shoot in cold weather?

Thanks

Steve Hanes

" I intend to live so my grandchildren will say "What's that old fool up to now?"

I intend to live so my grandchildren will say "What's that old fool up to now?"

PostPosted: January 7th, 2015, 9:05 am 
Site Admin

Steve Hanes wrote:
All good ideas. But coats and pants are easy. My trouble is my hands. A long time ago. Cabela's sold a leather front, fleece backed glove made to shoot with. I haven't seen anything like it in years. I normally shoot with a tab. What does anybody else do to shoot in

I usually make sure that my feet are not adequately prepared so that I don't even think about my hands because all of my focus is in my freezing feet. Actually, with pockets and hand Warmer's, I am usually able to manage my hands ok. My problem is feet for sure - I need to get some better cold weather boots.

The Twisted Stave
Golden Specialties

PostPosted: January 7th, 2015, 9:41 am 

Membership Status: Life Member
I will be meeting with the guys from Sitka tomorrow in Indianapolis with a special interest in checking out the Fanatic series whitetail gear along with a pack; as my King of the Mountain pack finally bit the dust after 24+ years. If any of you have day pack suggestions, please provide your insight.

"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his power." -Ephesians 6:10
"Be Bold and mighty forces will come to your aid." - Goethe
"A lot of the physical is mental" - IronMind