It is currently August 21st, 2017, 6:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: December 27th, 2014, 12:43 pm 

Membership Status: Associate Member
Thanks Kevin. My smoker actually has a control where the smoke can be controlled. It's pretty handy. I can actually increase or decrease the smoke this way and it works well. It is also pretty easy to keep the temperature where I want it. I will try that meal for sure. Looks really good!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: December 28th, 2014, 10:59 pm 
Site Admin

Membership Status: Regular Member
I've been looking at green eggs for awhile. I've had friends meat cooked in them and it was awesome. I've gotta get one.

I recently heard about something else though ... Any of you guys heard of Sous Vide cooking. Apparently, you basically vacuum seal a steak and submerge it a precisely temperature controlled bath. Apparently people claim this is the only way to get your meat to exact temp entirely through the entire cut. For example, I'd like to take a venison toast and set this thing at 140, walk away, and come back later and the entire roast from edge to middle is exactly at that temp - no higher or lower. The person who told me about said it is awesome - works as described. I had never heard of it. Any of you guys know about this or have any experience with this style of cooking?

The Twisted Stave
Golden Specialties

PostPosted: May 7th, 2016, 7:27 am 

Just bought one of these grills. More tips and recipes appreciated :D

PostPosted: May 7th, 2016, 7:46 am 

I heartily recommend you visit the website http://www.amazingribs.com and begin reading everything you can about smoking meats.

Kamado Joe and Big Green Egg both have good websites with recipes and tips.

Don't buy cheap natural chunk charcoal or briquettes. Spend the money and buy premium charcoal like Big Green Egg. I found this out the hard way.

Pick up some bags of chunk wood for smoking. Apple, Hickory, Mesquite and Oak. You don't need to soak them before use, and doing so does nothing in a kamado cooker.

If this is your first rodeo with a ceramic kamado cooker, start with uncomplicated things.

The second best investment I made for my unit was a digital temp control. https://www.bbqguru.com/

The BEST device I own is a 100% necessity. Instant-read digital probe thermometer. http://www.thermoworks.com/Thermapen-Mk4

Good meat can be expensive and any meat wasted is terrible. An accurate instant read thermometer allows you to pull meat off the fire at the exact right moment and nail the finish every time. The cost isn't cheap but the results make it obviously the best tool in your kit.

Let us know what your first cooking attempt will be. Mothers Day guinea pigs? :D

PostPosted: May 8th, 2016, 7:46 am 

Derby Day Double:

Attachment:
IMG_4487 (2).JPG
IMG_4487 (2).JPG [ 190.06 KiB | Viewed 717 times ]

I did 2 chicken breasts in honor of Kentucky's finest. Rubbed them with Bone Suckin' (brand) rub and put them over direct heat (charcoal only-no wood) at about 300 degrees. After they made good sear marks I put a light coat of thinned bbq sauce on them and then flipped them. When the internal temp hit 150 degrees I opened up the vents and let the fire get hot. I added 2 light coats of sauce to the tops of the meat and watched them closely so they didn't blacken on the bottom. Once done I pulled them and we ate them with butternut squash, asparagus and sourdough bread.

Old Fashioned made with Stagg Jr....Let the ponies run!

Attachment:
IMG_4486.JPG
IMG_4486.JPG [ 225.66 KiB | Viewed 717 times ]

PostPosted: May 13th, 2016, 5:59 am 

I made up some spicy Italian sausage, ready for the smoker.

Attachments:
Spicy Itallian.jpg
Spicy Itallian.jpg [ 249.22 KiB | Viewed 692 times ]

PostPosted: May 13th, 2016, 2:02 pm 

So far... spatchcock chicken, hamburgers and grass feed sirloin steak. Still learning how to control temp but the family loves the food. Pulled pork and ribs up next