It is currently October 16th, 2017, 6:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: December 15th, 2014, 10:27 pm 

Membership Status: Associate Member
It took me 15 years of PBS membership before I made my first banquet donation and organize a members hunt. For these actions I was asked to become the PBS Arizona State representative. I attended 5 banquets but that was the extent of my involvement before this last year.
I attempted contact with 6 Arizona members and reached 4. A 66% response is good I presume.

I noticed a member of the Rocky Mountain Region asked that each regional member tell something about himself or herself and another post suggesting a regional hunt for 2015. Last I looked only 3 or 4 people responded to either posting. I don't know how many members are in this region but from 5 states I would think more than 4. Well below 10% response?

Lack of participation is probably one of the main issues with having a first rate organization. I understand. Many people join for a variety of reasons, many are happy receiving the magazine and going to an occasional banquet and that's enough. I'm sure there are hundreds of reasons not to get more involved.

I'm new at this and am looking for ideas. My first thought is to send a letter to the Arizona members requesting information. I need to learn who they are and what motivates them. I figured a letter was the best choice since many are not looking at this website.
I need ideas of what to ask. Why did you join? What are you looking for from this organization? As the state representative, what do you expect from me?

I am open to suggestions. I'm ready to increase my involvement and attempt to get more from others. Send me your thoughts.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: December 16th, 2014, 9:17 am 
Site Admin

Membership Status: Regular Member
First Rick, thanks for taking your role as state representative seriously. I think you are on the right track with the questions you listed-- sending a letter is a good idea, emails might also work. One more question might be, "what would it take to get you more involved in PBS, including the web site, membership hunts, regional activities, Banquet, etc?"

Many members that I talk to are not active on this web site, for one reason or another. However, the most common reason given is that the web site is too hard to use, especially getting registered and posting comments.

Romans 10:15 “.......How beautiful are the feet of those that bring the Good News of Jesus...”

PostPosted: December 16th, 2014, 9:35 am 

Membership Status: Life Member
I have a few PBS friends that do not even do basic email, let alone register for this website and participate in discussions. We also have quite a few "lurkers"...guys/gals who read the threads but rarely post. The website will be a lot more interesting and generate a lot more traffic if more people will participate in the threads. Sometimes it just seems like there is a handful of us yapping back and forth to each other...knowing in advance what the response will be. I would like to hear how other members feel about various issues/topics. With regards to contacting members for info...I prefer email contact as it is much easier to respond to than paper mail. However, email contact obviously does not work for those members that choose not to have email accounts and check them on a regular basis.