It is currently October 20th, 2017, 8:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: First aid kit?
PostPosted: December 15th, 2014, 4:22 pm 

Membership Status: Associate Member
I have been thinking about this for awhile but never carried one with me ever! As my hunts are becoming longer in duration with more "Backcountry" hunting in the near future. Do you take one with you? Most important, What's in it? Also what would be the main injuries you would prepare for? I was thinking blisters and maybe a twisted ankle. Cheers in advance.
MOOSE

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: First aid kit?
PostPosted: December 15th, 2014, 7:15 pm 

I went overboard with my emergency medical kit, being a Nurse Practitioner in the ER!

I do have a small S.O.L. emergency kit for my back pack though. S.O.L. has many different kits ranging in size and price. Here's the website: http://www.surviveoutdoorslonger.com/. You can buy these kits at many different stores including Walmart. I got mine at our local Field and Stream store.

To answer your question, mole skin or second skin it good for blisters and areas that get rubbed by gear. Super glue will seal up small cuts. You can get gauze roll with compression roll (vet wrap) for sprained ankles/wrists. A packet of caustic powder is an excellent thing to have in a small kit as well to help stop bleeding. You can also get antibacterial wipes in small packet (same as alcohol wipes). Roll of medical tap, you can wrap this around a handle of a flash light. A heat reflective blanket is also a good idea for those hunting in the back country. All of these things are light weight and will fit in a small kit. Mine fits in the top zipper of my small camel pack. It also has a striker for starting fires with tinder material.

I don't know how old you are, but I also recommend Aspirin 325 mg (one pill) for people 50 years and older. Just a precaution if you have chest pain. A couple of Tylenol and Motrin is good for pain relief.

Hope this is helpful

Tracy

PostPosted: December 15th, 2014, 7:36 pm 

That's a great list, Tracy. You need your own log in by the way. ;)

I think I have all of that but the caustic powder. I can think of a lot of injuries in the backcountry that would be painful and difficult, but cutting yourself in the wrong place could leave you with little time. I think I'll get some of that stuff. Already have super glue with that in mind. Have some pins as well.

PostPosted: December 15th, 2014, 10:20 pm 

Membership Status: Regular Member
Great post Tracy, lots of good points.

I have been giving this some thought lately. I actually have a pretty extensive compact first aid kit, but in all honesty I probably don't know what half the stuff in there is used for! That just translates in un-preparedness, and useless weight.

PostPosted: December 16th, 2014, 7:04 am 

Membership Status: Regular Member
I'm totally dedicated to first-aid and the ability to treat illness or injury afield. I think such skills are an essential part of going far afield where no medical care exists or where significant delays in treatment would happen. It's one thing to have a basic small kit along for your all-day deer vigil. What would you take if heading to a ten day sheep hunt or maybe an alpine mule deer hunt at 12k feet? Each trip is different and likely requires some adjustment of the kit just as it does your food or other gear. As such I couldn't possibly list all the combos possible or taken, but basics do apply especially for injuries like lacerations, contusions, sprains etc. Think 'wound' and go from there. Then there is 'illness' and what that might entail. Viral thing picked up during travel? Bacterial infection of a blister? What about water-borne things like cryptosporidium or giardia? Cardiac risk? How would you handle nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, migraine, chills/fever, and on and on?

I have 2 faks. I have my 'master ER kit' which is a zippered small/med bag filled with meds (I hope to never use) bandage stuff, foot care, elastic/compression wraps, eye injury stuff, suture & stapler, burn care and a variety of adhesive bandages and tape. This bag goes along on every major trip where medical care isn't quickly available. I almost never access it, but it has saved my bacon on two or three trips I can think of.

My second kit is my daily carry kit. It's very basic and consists mainly of small bandages, adhesive tape and bandages, Neosporin, blister care and basic medications like aspirin, Motrin, Benadryl, antacid, anti-diarrheal, etc. It also has a set of tweezers, scissors and magnifying glass. Lots more, but too much to list here. Incidentally, I like my carry kit to be in a zippered clear pouch which allows me to see what I'm going for from the outside. Nothing worse than having to blind-search and dump the contents just to get a basic Band-Aid.

PostPosted: December 16th, 2014, 4:13 pm 

Thanks for the reply guys, I will look into it after my next hunt.

PostPosted: December 16th, 2014, 10:45 pm 

Great suggestions!

I've tailored my first aid kits to suit the trip.

For elk hunting my first aid kit is combined with my survival gear. I keep my "spares" there as well. Spare flashlight, spare compass, spare map, etc.

I'm fanatical about foot care. Past experiences in mountain hiking made a believer out of me. On the subject of mobility have a plan to splint a leg because if you cant relocate to a safe spot or gather materials for an overnight stay, your in a bad way.

All kits have bandages. Make sure you can control bleeding. Infection fighting provisions cant be over stressed.

I don't think anyone has mentioned a mirror. face injuries or things in the eye are a real problem without a mirror. How about a blow down spike to the small of the back that you can't assess because you can't see it. I suppose you can signal with a mirror too.

Make sure your kit has some first aid reference material. Simple instructions that give you the confidence to deal with trauma. Keeping your head is job #1 in an emergency.

A post like this gets people sharing bits and pieces and that's good synergy.