It is currently September 22nd, 2017, 3:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: December 14th, 2014, 4:42 pm 
Site Admin

Membership Status: Life Member
Preston Lay and I were weathered into our tipi in moose camp for most of eight straight days this year, it was pretty awful feeling limited hunting time grind away. In all that time to contemplate Preston went home with an assignment to research some hunting destination in his backyard and mine was to develop Starbucks-like coffee that tastes good and isn't so freaking expensive, you know the non-brew kind in the cute little package.

I decided I would first try a thorough grind on beans to a size so small that they basically dissolve and possibly add a small amount of instant coffee if the micro ground coffee didn't dissolve very well. So I tossed some beans in the electric grinder and pulverized and it seemed pretty fine so I added about a tablespoon to a cup and poured boiling water over. Seemed to work pretty well with just a wee bit of course ground material as floaters. I'm thinking I can really pulverize the very fine ground coffee in my wife's mortar and pestal and I think it will be there without adding any instant.

Attachment:
microcoffee.jpg
microcoffee.jpg [ 110.32 KiB | Viewed 786 times ]

Anyone else have any ideas to share on building a better mousetrap?

(I have an idea for portable, non-tree harming ascending devises but I need to build and test my prototype first. You'll see the SUCCESSFUL results here first)

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: December 14th, 2014, 7:22 pm 

Membership Status: Regular Member
I've always enjoyed diy projects and especially those where I can create a geat thing AND save some money. I took a Barney's Freighter Frame and customized it for heavy hauling of meat. I added custom webbing and locking buckles which I hand stitched around the frame. Later, I finally bought something I'd wanted for years. I bought a used Bernina sewing machine which is flat-perfect for custom sewn gear and repairs. I've made a prototype fleece tree wrap which attaches to the tree above a stand. The wrap stops any noise caused by bark catching on clothing.

PostPosted: December 14th, 2014, 9:25 pm 

I'm always trying to improve on something that most people would think doesn't need it.

Here is a small game head that I came up with. Simple cheap and comes in at 90 +/- grains...

PostPosted: December 14th, 2014, 9:46 pm 

Here is another, just did it to see if I could...

PostPosted: December 15th, 2014, 2:51 am 

Membership Status: Associate Member
Good thread Steve and I like the coffee idea.

Once in awhile I make homemade Clif bars. And using ingredients around the house so they're free (?). Cheaper anyway.

The two hard parts are getting the protein to carb ratio the same without going way up on calories. The household items we have that help are egg whites and protein powder.

The other hard part is getting them so they are not too gooey. Mine come out a bit stickier than fudge, so still working on that.