It is currently August 22nd, 2017, 6:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Moose decoy usage
PostPosted: December 14th, 2014, 8:23 am 

Membership Status: Regular Member
I'm pleased to announce that I will be going on a fly-in moose hunt (semi-guided) next year in Northern Ontario.

I've read countless pieces about how great the Montana moose decoy works, but have yet to hear how someone actually hunted with it.

What I would like to know is: 1-Best place to set it up when cow calling; 2-where to position one self for the approaching bull; 3-Do bulls approach from the front or back of the decoy; 4-anything else you could possibly tell me about deploying one of these Montana moose decoys?

Thank you in advance,

Mike

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Moose decoy usage
PostPosted: December 14th, 2014, 10:45 am 

I have one of the Montana decoys but have never actually used it. I have a moose hunt scheduled for 2016. If you want to borrow my decoy to teach it how to attract big rutting Bulls you are welcome to it!

PostPosted: December 14th, 2014, 10:48 am 

Awesome deal Joe. I'll send you a text.

Have you named "Her" yet?

PostPosted: December 14th, 2014, 11:04 am 

Membership Status: Associate Member
Hey Mike what outfitter you going with? My brother is going and Tracey and I had hoped to go but can't make it happen.

PostPosted: December 14th, 2014, 11:57 am 

David Balowski wrote:
Hey Mike what outfitter you going with? My brother is going and Tracey and I had hoped to go but can't make it happen.

As much as I would love to tell you Dave, I just cannot. It took me quite a LOOOONG time to find the service I was looking for and finally found.

Another PBSer is joining me, and we both have committed to each other not to release the location.

Hopefully there will be plenty of Great stories to come, and if it is what it appears, it will become an annual thing.

Mike

PostPosted: December 14th, 2014, 3:19 pm 

I use both a homemade Moose silhouette and a small folding black umbrella. The umbrella works as well and is easier, quicker to set up and cheap.

PostPosted: December 14th, 2014, 10:25 pm 

Mike,

I asked my guide in Newfoundland (second year with the same guide) about decoys. He said he had a client bring one to use one year. After the end of the week he couldn't say one way or the other if it worked or not. The client ended up leaving the decoy with him and he never used it again. Personally, I think the correct setup, wind, hunter placement, etc. trump a decoy but I also know that in the right circumstances, no matter what species you are hunting, decoys can be magical. Worth a try I imagine.

PostPosted: December 15th, 2014, 11:22 am 

Removed comment.

PostPosted: December 16th, 2014, 6:15 am 

I'm pretty sure they would work in a few instances, and using one would be a matter of personal preference. They've been around for years, but are not magical in their results. A bull which hangs up is not likely going to sucker-in because of a decoy. Moose are huge and smelly, and they know this. They come in expecting to see a large, dark bulky cow which smells all deliciously funky. I'm saying that a decoy won't make a big bull go brain-dead, but might tease him enough to produce an opportunity. It's a matter of worth. Worth carrying and setting up? I haven't heard of enough reliable results to really judge.

I always carried a homemade fake antler and I know it works. I can slip it in a pack and have it in play quickly. I can walk with it and use it to 'flash' a bull once in a while. Combined with good calling, it's all I need.

PostPosted: December 18th, 2014, 8:24 am 

Thank you for he tips guys. It all is part of the bigger picture.

Dave, it was nice talking with you this morning. You too will make it work. If not next year, soon to come.

Has anyone seen the Alex Guthro's Moose Madness series? If so, what is your thoughts? I figure if anything, it is good entertainment for my boys and I, and I just might learn something along the way.

PostPosted: December 18th, 2014, 9:14 am 

Mike,

I watched it several times prior to my DIY hunt in Quebec several years ago. I think it is a good primer on moose behavior, ID, habitat and calling, etc. Alex does a good job breaking everything down to the basics. When you're done you will know the proper calls and how to make them. As in calling any game in, you will learn most of what you need by actually being around them and observing their reactions. Alex's series is a good second best.

Another very good resource is a book called Moose Hunting by Maine guide Dave Kelso. It was out of print when I went looking for it in 2010 but I see it offered on Amazon today.