It is currently November 23rd, 2017, 8:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Pheasant hunting ??
PostPosted: December 8th, 2014, 2:30 pm 

Membership Status: Regular Member
I am trying to put together a pheasant hunt for some of the guys. I have a place to do it lined up. I have the birds lined up. I have a guy with good dogs lined up. But... He is absolutely adamant about no broad heads.

I had intended on using flu flu's with something like a three blade Bodkin on the end. What do you guys who have hunted them in the past use besides broad heads. They are pretty big birds and I don't think a flu flu with a judo or Hex head will bring them down. I was thinking maybe an old school steel blunt with a Zwickey scorpio behind it or maybe even a field point with the same set up. How tough are these things going to be to knock out of the sky?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Pheasant hunting ??
PostPosted: December 8th, 2014, 2:50 pm 

Smart guy. I would never let MY dog near Broadheads. I've done a lot of pheasant hunting with my bow and I found the field tip backed by a Scorpio the best option when dogs were involved. I've tried all the options you listed and was amazed when a rooster took a direct hit from an Ace Hex and just shrugged it off.

There is not much more fun you can have IMO.

PostPosted: December 8th, 2014, 5:47 pm 
Site Admin

Membership Status: Life Member
Some dude in Illinois had some kind of different bird point available a few years ago. I think he gave me a package. Will try and remember to dig it out for the contact info.

PostPosted: December 8th, 2014, 10:20 pm 

I've used judos, Ace Hex heads, field points with a rubber band wrapped around the shaft behind the point (my thoughts were to reduce penetration...didn't work) and plane old steel blunts. I've had success with them all, and failures too. I see that VPA makes a pretty sweet looking small game head. It's like a judo on steroids. I might give them a go.

I've even made some heads from discarded keys that I believe would be deadly and will try them next.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

PostPosted: December 8th, 2014, 11:11 pm 

I use Judo points and if you use aluminum...add a Zwickey Scorpio Broadhead Stopper which slide down the shaft. They work great for this. I have used the Scorpio on turkeys in the past, but now I usually only use them for added insurance on small game and shooting at grass clumps on our prairie

PostPosted: December 9th, 2014, 1:09 am 

Membership Status: Associate Member
I have had my fair share of success taking pheasants with a bow, and yes they are tough buggers when it comes to penetration. I think the challenge is two fold. First, their feathers absorb a lot of energy on impact which, like a turkey, makes it hard for a blunt or small game head to penetrate to their vitals. Second, when you are shooting at something in the air when you hit it with something blunt I believe that you tend to push it more than penetrate it, which saps the energy from your arrow.

That is why I use broadheads whenever I go wingshooting. A 3:1 two-bladed head would be ideal since it would have a sharp point to get past the feathers and the ratio to do maximum damage/bleeding if it doesn't penetrate very far.

As for your original question, I and my hunting buddies have had success where the dog handler lets the dog run free to find the birds, then when he points on the bird the handler walks up and secures his dog, then either one person walks up to flush the bird , or we walk up in line to flush the bird and then take our shots based on whose zone of fire the bird takes off in. Note, please be careful if you come up in a line instead of just one person. When the bird (hopefully) goes down, have a person find it and remove the arrow. Then let the dog mouth the bird because that is his reward for doing his job well. This has worked well in the past, but it will depend on whether your dog handler is comfortable working that way.

Good luck with your hunt,

Larry

PostPosted: December 9th, 2014, 8:56 pm 

We obviously hunt in different areas. I am hunting wild birds, public and private land in South Dakota. I have had hunting dogs all my life, Britts, Shorthairs and lately chocolate labs. So, when I used pointers on pheasants...occasionally you could get that close to hold or steady your pointer. Usually a bird not planted has had enough and will be up and movin on! None of my dogs could be held off of retrieving that bird with same drive and passion that we have for bowhunting. My dogs live to hunt! I love hunting pheasants and eating them just as much. I truly believe you should not use a broadhead with a dog. The only time I have used a broadhead is when one comes through my stand site. They truly do get hunted from above, so drawing on one is always interesting...Good luck

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]