It is currently November 23rd, 2017, 10:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Barron Land hunting!
PostPosted: December 5th, 2014, 7:37 pm 

Membership Status: Associate Member
I have a hunt coming up in 12 days. After spending a great deal of time looking at maps, Google earth ect. I found that the area is VERY barron, with a lot of scree slips and little cover. My rifle hunting mates are going to have a blast, I know i am in for a very difficult time. I'm not new to hunting this kind of country with a rifle but this will be my first go with a bow. So to any bowhunters here that have experience in open ground hunting is there any KTE you would like to share? I figured if I was ever going to get any advice I would want it from the best/hardcore bowhunters I know!
PBS for life.
MOOSE

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Barron Land hunting!
PostPosted: December 5th, 2014, 11:45 pm 

Moose,

Those who bowhunt the western states here in the U.S. use the various folds in the terrain to hide themselves when they are doing their stalk on plains game like pronghorn antelope or mule deer. You might want to check out books or Youtube videos on those topics to see what you can apply to your situation. Paul Brunner may have some insights too.

Larry

PostPosted: December 6th, 2014, 1:40 am 

Membership Status: Regular Member
Larry makes good points here - use every dab of terrain break. What species are you hunting?
Appropriate camouflage is usually a major aid - and that might be a yellow/brown wool plaid shirt and light green or tan pants....use light weight hikers or even tennis shoes.

If I'm on a serious stalk in open terrain I'm usually crawling -- avoid the straight-up profile. Stay stream-lined and avoid heavy, bulky packs like you see many American elk hunters using....you'll be a much better crawler if you are "light and low."

You probably will be shooting at the far end of your range -- if that's
25 yards be ready for kneeling shots at that distance -- doubt you'll get to stand up rigid for an Olympic type shot.

Be patient and move slow...STEALTHY, and always be mindful of that squirrely NZ wind!

You can do it Moose! Show your rifle hunting mates what "real stalking" is all about!!

PostPosted: December 6th, 2014, 1:34 pm 

Over open ground, wind can be like water flowing, following the lay of the land, if it's not too strong. Obstructions and jagged, uneven ground can make wind tumble. Envision that in your head, it helps.

Pay attention to small depressions where water may run. Sometimes those depressions are deeper than you think. In an area of arid sage country in western Colorado, deer would seemingly pop up out of nowhere like gophers coming out of a hole. When we walked up to these "small" depressions, we would often find them to be very narrow, but about 3 to 4 feet deep, cut out by water over time. The deer then had dug out small shelves in which to bed in. To the casual observer, the country was empty of game. To us bowhunters, it was perfect for stalking. Close quarter shooting too.

Good luck and have fun.

PostPosted: December 8th, 2014, 2:37 am 

Thanks for the reply guys, I have found most of my rifle hunting skills translate to bowhunting. As I have stated hunting open terrain with a bow is still quiet new to me. I used to rifle hunt open terrain alot. Jim I will be hunting Tahr and Chamios. Oh boy is it going to be an adventure.

PostPosted: December 12th, 2014, 7:59 am 

I sometimes use a Gilliesuit coat. I would not bother with the pants as you will be low to the ground anyway. You can move low and slow and become a bush when needed. good luck mate !

PostPosted: December 12th, 2014, 9:46 am 

I assume you will be doing a lot of glassing as well. You may not always want to try and stalk up on your quarry, but instead watch them at a distance for a while to see where they are headed then read the terrain and move yourself into a position for the ambush. Take lot's of pictures, looking forward to reading about this hunt.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]