It is currently November 21st, 2017, 7:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ] 
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Tree Stands
PostPosted: December 2nd, 2014, 7:05 am 

Membership Status: Regular Member
My stands a very quite...until the mercury dips to single digits. It seems they start to squeak when it gets cold (I am pretty sure it is not my bones :lol: ). Not to mention the bottom of my boots freezing to the platform so every time I shift my feet it sounds like popping bubble wrap.Is it the quality of my stands? Any tricks/ suggestions?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Tree Stands
PostPosted: December 2nd, 2014, 7:40 am 

Membership Status: Life Member
i have found that stands attached by nylon straps will squeak in cold weather. I use only chains and it seems to eliminate the problem. Also, in cold weather trees shrink, so if the stand is a bit loose noise can occur. Sometimes I have to readjust my stands as the temperature decreases.

Last edited by Gene Hall on December 2nd, 2014, 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2014, 7:41 am 

If there's anything I dislike more than a cheap mechanical broadhead, it's a noisy treestand.

A fibrous (but soft) thin pad under-foot will eliminate the boot noises. Pads don't work so well on stands which have only tubes or rails in the platform...and are better if it has a mesh platform.

Chains are much better than straps in my opinion...100% on what Gene stated.

Hollow metal tubes and cold hard trees are a formula for noise if anything moves. Blowing spray foam into tubes will help silence them, but isn't easy at 20' up in December. Do it in the off season.

Sometimes a metal-on-metal 'clink', 'pop' or other sound develops in cold weather as metal contracts. It might be at a weld, the seat, a cable...but can be frustratingly hard to find and eliminate. Sometimes it's just plain impossible.

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2014, 5:20 pm 

A trick from some fellows in Canada is wrapping the stand platforms with hockey tape to deaden much of the sound.

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2014, 5:39 pm 

I used to have the same issue when the temps drop the stands make noise, I went with an all cast type stand. I am sure there are a few brands of this type made but I decided on lone wolf 25 years ago, they make no noise even at 25 below.

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2014, 6:33 pm 

Membership Status: Associate Member
I agree with the chains and ever since I went to a Lonewolf hang-on I don't get any noise. My only complaints for the Lonewolf stands are they are to small. But all there models are noise free in cold weather.

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2014, 7:59 pm 

Lone Wolfs for me to. Always quiet. I found after they have been in the same tree for a time the straps need to be tighten from time to time. I think they loosen a little with the tree shrinking in colder weather and movement do to wind.

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2014, 9:00 pm 

Funny this topic comes up on our site, as I was just talking about this with one of my hunting partners today.

I agree with the Lonewolf comments, I was coming down a tree today with my partner who has a Summit Climber and I was in a Lonewolf climber. (State park deer reduction today) My buddy and I discussed how quiet my Lonewolf stand was.

The cast platform is dead quiet. The stands made from thin walled, square tube tend to ring like a bell when they strike, or something strikes them. This also seems to be intensified when its cold.

I agree with Kevin, fill the voids in the tubes with foam.

If I am going to use a hang on stand made of steel, I have found that the Screaming Eagle is the best style and is pretty quiet.

The Climax is as stable as you can get, but at times, some of the materials used at various times were a little thinner and seemed to squeak and squawk -- BUT, one of our own now owns the rights to the Climax and I believe he will have some of the past problems cured.

I would really like to have an entire stable full of Lonewolf (If I have to pack them any distance) and Climax and Screaming eagle stands--

I will also reaffirm Kevin's statement about a thin layer of foam on the platform aiding in keeping your feet warmer.

I also want to ask that all of us wear a quality fall protection harness while we are off the ground. Remember that most falls occur when entering or leaving the stand. ALWAYS be safety'd in--

P.J.

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2014, 9:24 pm 

Good stuff guys. I was afraid the cast platform subject would come up....them buggers ain't cheap. Like I said my stands are quite until. :shock:

With the thin foam are you leaving it up there?

I will buy into chains being quieter than straps but it SEEMED that noise is coming from the platform.

Something about Canadians putting hockey tape on their stands cracks me up, but hey if it works I am all over it.

Good subject, lets keep this conversation rolling

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2014, 9:34 pm 

Rob,

Personally I would roll up the pad and pack it out. Something like wool felt or similar works great. It needs to be at least 1/4" to 1/2" thick. Carpet padding will work, but is a tad heavy and tends to stink. I've often thought that one of the trad-wool guys should offer a chunk of 3/8" thick wool which could be cut to use as a platform pad.

Strap attachments of any kind are very popular for treestands and climbing aids, but they definitely don't get tight enough to totally prevent small movement. The possible exception to this is my Family Traditions stand. It uses two very stout ratchet straps to crank the stand in tight against the tree, and it won't move any. I think this could be done with any stand, but it would involve extra expense and weight. A ratchet at the level of the seat and one at the platform results in the frame being extremely tight.

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2014, 6:07 am 

That sounds like a good idea Kevin, thank you.

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2014, 8:09 am 

I have to say lone wolf stands are the best as well, but I have moved away from them because of price... I use 2 ratchet straps as standard equipment on all of my stands (except my lone wolf hang on), mostly because they make me feel safer. I have to buy them separate but after reading what Kevin wrote and thinking about my late season hunts I really haven't had a problem with stand noise. I set one by the seat and one by the platform as Kevin said and I lift the platform up against the trunk when I tighten the top one down. I then tighten the bottom one just enough to allow the platform to come down nice and level. When I push the platform down it really bites into the trunk and snugs things up. Then I crank the bottom one as tight as it will go, and double check the top one. Hope you can get this sorted out, and good luck.

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2014, 9:38 am 

I did a bit of checking on wool felt pads. For those who are interested, a number of Ebay sellers offer hard wool felt in thicknesses from 1/4 to 1/2 inch. I found one seller with 1/4" dark gray wool hard felt sheet for shoe padding, 18x25" for $13.00. This would make an excellent pad to keep boots off cold, frozen metal. Another source of wool felt is a saddle pad for horses. Tack shops and farm supply stores carry them, plus online sources. I might check my local fabric store and see what they carry.

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2014, 5:31 pm 

Yes Lone Wolfs are pretty pricey but you may be able to get one by watching some medium sized sporting goods stores. If they have a display model, they may sell it cheaper than a boxed one later this winter to make room for spring and summer items. A friend of mine picked one up for less than $100 that way. He just asked the sales person who checked with management-SCORE. Just a thought. As long as the straps are tight to the tree I never have noticed any noise.

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2014, 6:38 pm 

Some stands are just noisy in the cold. I for got how nosy one of my stands was because I haven't used it in about 6 years. At -14 it sounded like a gun was going off every time I shifted my weight without picking up my feet. I should just get rid of it. I think its the cables that support the plat form. Im not convinced in the chain vs web debate. The stand mention is a chain hung stand and I do have some web stands that are really quite. My favorite is a screaming eagle though. There pretty easy to make so I Will make them from now on.

PostPosted: December 5th, 2014, 7:27 pm 

Once you get to your stand, its too late to find out it squeaks, so I carry a little bottle of corn oil ot vegetable oil in my pack. Pour it on the moving seat joint, or on the contact spots where the stand meets the tree. If the deer smell the oil, they will smell me anyway. I don't just carry it with me in the winter, but all fall long. I have over 20 stands out, so there is always a chance one will make a little noise. A lot of guys like ladder stands, but the few that I use seem to make the most noise. If you use one against a smaller tree, the constant flexing can eventually lead to noise when you put load on it.

PostPosted: December 17th, 2014, 4:44 pm 

Here is a tip for a cheap way to lessen slippery surface on wood or metal stock floor stands. It will also quiet a stand because your footwear soles will not move around and cause squeaking. Go to an auto body shop store, or auto parts store and buy the largest belt you can find for a belt type sander. Get the coursest grade you can. Cut into strips to cover the surface, and use a good adhesive to glue in place. I use JB Weld--it has never come loose. I know I have stands probably 15-20 yrs. old, still holding tight.

PostPosted: December 17th, 2014, 4:59 pm 

Put some nylon washers in between all sections of bolts and washers on it that move and cut some old carpet and glue or tie it to your platforms. Makes them much warmer on your toes as well.

PostPosted: December 17th, 2014, 9:02 pm 

I put nylon washers between like Tom and I have also sprayed insulating foam inside the tubing.

PostPosted: December 19th, 2014, 12:13 pm 

I've got about a dozen older of the LocOn brand hang-on stands and loved them for dozens years. The work great on trees that are straight. But on trees with even the slightest bit of lean in them, they can squeak at the most inopportune times. (The squeak comes from the base of the stand rubbing on the tree when you shift your weight.) That seems to be a recurring trait of most of stands that I've used that hang from only one chain/strap from the upper part of the stand. But its rarely been a problem in the past because most of the trees in the areas I've hunted are pretty straight.

But I hunted southern Nebraska a few times over recent years and found that most of the trees there had some kind of lean to them, and that didn't go so well. So I bit the bullet and got a Lone Wolf that cinches to the tree from the upper and lower part of the stand. It completely eliminated the sway at the bottom of the stand when you shift your weight. VERY QUIET... VERY PLEASED with the product.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]