It is currently August 18th, 2017, 9:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Camp gear?
PostPosted: November 25th, 2014, 4:17 pm 

Membership Status: Associate Member
I mainly hunted from the road/my buddies wall tent this year for elk and muleys.

There were a couple places that I would have loved to explore further, but they were about 5 miles from the road and I didn't have a tent/suitable sleeping bag so always had to venture back. I feel like I missed out on some good opportunities and don't want to be in the same position I am now (no elk or muley's for me yet) at the end of bow season next year.

I have pretty much everything else taken care of besides cooking utensils and food. I am needing a good tent (with a floor if possible) a warm sleeping bag and a decent sleeping pad. I used a little fold up pad deal from Thermarest, that is going to be cut up and used for a glassing pad, as it was terribly uncomfortable to sleep on ($30 gets you EXACTLY what you paid for haha)

Just wondering what everyone uses? Doesn't need to be a huge tent, enough for 2 people would be fine, would mostly be just myself I'm guessing.

Looking for lightweight and durable if possible. Packing everything on my back will be a good workout but my pack is more than capable of handling the weight.

Thanks!

Aim for the spot on the spot

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Camp gear?
PostPosted: November 25th, 2014, 7:46 pm 

The 5 times I have elk hunted I always thought one of the hanging hammocks with the enclosure would be the way to go light weight and very mobile plus you are off the cold ground. Never tried one but read about lots of people who have and loved them. Wasted many hours walking to and from wall tent camp.

PostPosted: November 25th, 2014, 7:59 pm 

Gidday Jacob, I recently got schooled on my backpacking gear on FB by a couple PBS members, which was GREAT! Helping reduce my pack weights. I use a hammock while huntin, weight is two pounds. However since you asked about tents have you looked at MSR Hubba Bubba tent? They are used down here quiet abit. "Warning I have never slept or used one, I have only heard good things about them"
Cheers
MOOSE

PostPosted: November 26th, 2014, 9:31 am 

Jacob....I'll give you some information on what I prefer and what works well for me. Most of this has changed over the years as I've used certain items and refined it based on what I liked and what I didn't like. Again, this is just my gear based on my preferences....you are likely to get as many answers as if you'd asked what bow is the best and none of them are really wrong.

Tents - I prefer a double walled, freestanding tent. I have two tents that I use primarily for backpack hunts: A single man Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1 and a two man MSR Hubba Hubba. I use the BA tent when I'm hunting alone and weight is my #1 concern. It weighs 2.5 lbs and is big enough for my sleeping pad with a few inches on each side and that's about it. It's tall enough that I can sit up and put on my clothes and it has a front entry vestibule that is just large enough to cook in if the weather's crappy. Other than that it's a superlight, no frills tent. I use the MSR tent when I'm hunting with my brother or when hunting by myself and I know I'll be leaving camp in one spot or when I expect quite a bit of cold or rainy weather. It weighs 4.25 lbs and has 2 side entry vestibules so each person has their own entry and vestibule which is a huge plus. I would never get a 2 man tent without that feature. It is tight but doable for 2 guys and luxurious by yourself. The other tent that I'd consider if I were buying one now is the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL 1 and UL2. They weren't out when I bought mine but they seem to have everything I like in a tent.

Here is a pic of the Hubba Hubba. I couldn't find any of the BA but I'm sure you can find some by googling it.

Sleeping Bags - For backpacking, down is the only way to go in my opinion. The higher the loft the lighter the weight and the higher the price. Like most stuff you get what you pay for on sleeping bags. I've found that a 15 deg mummie bag is perfect for me and can get me through from late August to the first part of October out West. I use a Marmot Helium 15 deg bag that weighs right at 2 lbs. I've used it all the way down to about 10 degs on an elk hunt and not gotten cold (I wore my base layer) and up to about 50 deg on a Mulie hunt. There are lots of other good down bags out there, I just was able to cash in some REI dividend points and get the best deal on the Marmot. If I were buying now I'd look at Feathered Friends and Western Mountaineering bags as well.

You can see my sleeping bag in this pic....it's in the orange Granite Gear compression sack. It's not fully compressed in this pic, once compressed it's about the size of a half loaf of bread. That's the BA tent beside it so you can get an idea of it's packed size as well

Sleeping Pads - I've only ever used two types. The closed cell foam Thermarest Z pad like you are talking about and the Thermarest Neo Air (It's in the yellow stuff sack in the pic above). There's no comparison on comfort, the Neo Air is quite a bit more expensive but worth every penny to get a good nights sleep after a long day of hunting. It also packs down to the size of a Nalgene bottle so you can put it in your pack instead of having to lash it to the outside like a foam pad. Big Agnes also make an Air Core pad that I hear is really good but I have no experience with. If I were buying I'd give it a look as well.

I know I'm only scratching the surface but that's my gear. Any questions, just ask.

Last edited by Aaron McDonnel on November 26th, 2014, 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: November 26th, 2014, 10:30 am 

This is good stuff. Let's hear from more out there good Christmas gift ideas

PostPosted: November 26th, 2014, 12:25 pm 

Thanks for the heads up guys, I really do appreciate it. Only hunted from the truck, and my friends wall tent this year so I'll be looking to buy sometime after Christmas (hopefully I can find some sales)

Something that really caught my eye is the Titanium Goat Vertex 6.5 w/stove. Weight is sub 5 # plus the stove, I can cook with it and stay warm. The biggest plus for me is that I can stand up and stretch/put clothes on and I could have a wood burning stove to stay warm/dry out clothes etc. I am about 6'1" +/- a half inch and don't like to be stooped over doing stuff-good old football injury!

My dad and grandfather are going to be coming out for an elk hunt, and rather than renting a cabin for us to stay in I was seriously looking into one of these. I saw that Thermarest makes a lightweight packable cot that would be nice, and save me from having to buy another pad to sleep on.

Still have no clue on bags, going to have to stop into REI and try a few out.

Any other tips/advice that you feel would help out a new backpack hunter would be greatly appreciated!

PostPosted: November 26th, 2014, 1:53 pm 

Membership Status: Regular Member
Hammocks are fantastic...IF it's warm. I love mine, but they sleep pretty cold. Mainly because of the air flow underneath you, so in my opinion it is for summer trips only. I run a Shang-ra-la 5 which is a floorless teepee design. It has a nest you can use with it, but using the nest sort of mitigates the whole point of going in light weight. Don't know how dead set you are on having a floor, but if you get a chance to try one out I would recommend it. It's much nicer than you might think.

I've often thought a bivy would work well if you had a tarp to go over the top to keep your gear dry. You can get a small silnylon tarp that weighs next to nothing. It's always great to be able to take your camp with you and just sleep wherever you happen to end up each evening.

PostPosted: November 26th, 2014, 2:31 pm 

I did see those Golite's but heard they are going out of business and are hard to find.

The only thing with those Shangrila tipi's is the height. If I'm going to buy a tipi I want to be able to stand up in it. I can handle a few ounces more, and realistically if I were going to buy a tent that gave me the space I was looking for I would be spending more than on the Tigoat Vertex anyways.

My question is wood stoves for the Vertex......just go with the Tigoat's??? Kifaru's stove???

I've never used either nor do I have experience with any other model. Would like to be able to use it as a rangetop for cooking as well as the obvious heating capabilities. Lightweight is preferable, but mainly needs to be easily packable. Any ideas?

PostPosted: November 26th, 2014, 4:58 pm 

http://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/tabi ... fault.aspx
HPG Shepard stove looks easy to assemble. Might be to large for a small tent

PostPosted: November 26th, 2014, 8:07 pm 

Jacob,

Lots of good advice here.

I used a Big Agnes Seedhouse 2 for many years-it is a good fit for one. My son seems to think it is his now. I've found I really like the floorless models though. Kifaru in particular. I've spent time in the TiGoat and Seek Outside competitors and I would save my money until I could get the Kifaru. I had a 4man and have gone to a Supertarp along with an 8 man. When the cold wind and rain are pummeling you that stove is NICE!

There are many many choices for sleeping bags. I like Big Agnes because of the sleeve for the pad. I can't sleep on my back and toss and turn a lot and I would always end up on the cold ground before BA. And I wil hopefully never sleep on another closed cell pad in my life. I've never had a problem with any of the insulated inflatable pads I've used-Big Agnes, Exped, or the NeoAir. Love my NeoAir All Season.

PostPosted: November 28th, 2014, 11:25 am 

Those Kifaru tents look awesome, they are just out of my pricerange unfortunately. Hoping to find the Vertex on sale, would make it a little easier to convince my wife that I need it haha

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2014, 10:18 pm 

I use an Appy (not Happy)Trails 5-man tent on 3 different elk hunts in Colorado. It is floorless, single layer, single pole. Weighs less than 3 pounds. Costs $120. I am known for doing things on the cheap though.

PostPosted: December 7th, 2014, 2:45 pm 

I use a couple different tents. My main tent is a hilleberg AKTO, and I also have a Easton Kilo 2p. Both are very good tents. You could squeeze two if needed, but I would go with their Kilo 3p. Very light weight. I also use a thermarest sleeping pad, with a Sierra Designs Zissou 12* Sleeping Bag. My cooking I use a JetBoil flash kit. All the stuff is light weight and i used it on several back country hunts this year. Any questions on other gear, Ask! Oh, I also use a Primus lantern that used my fuel from my jetboil, to take the chill off in the mornings. One more thing that I use it a Platypus gravity water filter.

Scott Meeks

PostPosted: December 7th, 2014, 4:16 pm 
Site Admin

Membership Status: Life Member
I use Hellebergs' on high risk weather hunts, expensive but hypothermia is a b!itch. Generally not necessary in most lower 48 applications.

I use a Hennessy Hammock on my Kauai trips. Always heard you'd freeze in colder weather in one. May work well in August western mulie situations.

PostPosted: December 7th, 2014, 4:26 pm 

Thanks for all the tips guys I appreciate all the advice

PostPosted: December 7th, 2014, 4:44 pm 
Site Admin

For what I think you need, I would take a peek at Campmor's last year's model sales.

PostPosted: December 7th, 2014, 5:31 pm 

I'll add another +1 for the Thermarest Neo Air sleeping pad. Lightest and most compact I've used AND the most comfortable of the light and compact that I've used. Very thin material though and they come with a repair kit. Mine made it through one season in Alaska on some rough hunts without a hole but I made it a point to be cautious of sticks and rocks.

+1 for the Hilleberg Akto ( a one man). I've had mine for 3 - 4 yrs of serious weather goat hunts here in Southeast with nary a scratch or leak and it has seen some torrential downpours and winds. Same for the Hilleberg Nallo ( 3 man), held up great despite having almost 5 days straight of flowing water under it. The hillebergs are a little bit of a sacrifice on weight but excellent for high risk weather hunts. I imagine I might try to find something lighter if I were elk or mulie hunting.

A word on sleeping bags. I've never used down and still don't have the confidence that I can ALWAYS keep it dry. I have friends that use it here in Alaska and really haven't had a problem, . . . . but I've been on enough hunts where I wasn't sure if down would have held it's loft. If it gets wet, you will be in a bad way fast. Roll the dice and you'll probably be fine . . . . I just don't like probablies.
Having said that, I've had great luck with my kifaru 0 degree synthetic bag. Reasonable weight and very manageable size. I'm a cold sleeper and my kifaru keeps me warm.

Good luck and good thread. I always like to read about what others are using for their lightweight backpacking trips..

Ben

PostPosted: December 7th, 2014, 7:44 pm 

Not sure why people think they need a tent to camp out in the lower 48 during elk season. A small tarp, some cord and a sleeping bag will do just fine. A good pad is nice, but not necessary. A small tent just adds weight and limits space. I've been in rainstorms, snowtorms, windstorms, or combinations of all, with just a tarp, and it worked out well.

This is the way you learn some woodsmanship skills.

Alaska is a different story.

PostPosted: December 8th, 2014, 8:30 am 

Great thread.

I'm looking hard at tent, shelter upgrades. I've done the bivy sack deal and I'm never going to be stuck again in something for two days of rain that I can't even sit up in. Looking hard at getting a kifaru supertarp but my next trip is Alaska in August. Will the flies/mosquitos eat me alive in an open air deal? Would a bug nest for sleeping be an easy solution there?

Also, I have a Big Agnes air mattress that isn't super light but I'd carry that thing at any weight and sacrifice food for it if I had to.

Mark U, was it you who put the cow elk in the back of the Suburu or do I have you mixed up with someone else? If so, I'm guessing you probably could get by with very little on an elk hunt. :lol:

PostPosted: December 8th, 2014, 12:35 pm 
Site Admin

Julian Tisdale wrote:
Great thread.

I'm looking hard at tent, shelter upgrades. ........but my next trip is Alaska in August. Will the flies/mosquitos eat me alive in an open air deal? . :lol:

Sounds like suicide to me!

PostPosted: December 8th, 2014, 1:39 pm 
Site Admin

Attachment:
P8180108 (1024x768).jpg
P8180108 (1024x768).jpg [ 388.21 KiB | Viewed 2202 times ]

August in Alaska.

PostPosted: December 8th, 2014, 7:46 pm 

Noted. :lol:

PostPosted: December 8th, 2014, 8:52 pm 

Yes, Julian, that was me. Somewhere I have a picture with a 5 point bull in the same car. That was back in the day when I'd cut an elk in half behind the shoulder and drag it out in two trips.

In Steve Rinella's book American Buffalo, there's a picture of his spike camp on the Copper River in Alaska, in October, during a buffalo hunt, and the temps were well below freezing and it was snowing, and he used a plastic tarp with a ridge pole for cover. Seemed to work for him. I would guess that if you had a tent in the rain/snow, you would be packing out a wet tent on your back. Not sure how much more a wet tent weighs, or do modern materials not get wet?? Anyway, as long as you have a base camp you really don't need much to spend a night or two out.