It is currently October 18th, 2017, 4:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: battery foot warmers
PostPosted: November 25th, 2014, 2:32 pm 

Membership Status: Life Member
Found some stuff online about battery powered foot/boot liners made by Thermacell. Rechargeable batteries with a remote on-off switch that you can carry in your pocket. Seems like they might be great for the late season in Iowa when temps drop below 0. I know they are not traditional but when it is -10 and my feet are so numb I can barely feel them I really don't care. Anyone have experience with these boot liners?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: battery foot warmers
PostPosted: November 25th, 2014, 2:49 pm 

Membership Status: Regular Member
I tried those out a while back (don't remember the name brand) while out ice fishing and it felt like my toes were being burned. At first the warm sensation felt great, but it was quickly replace with a burning sensation that had me reaching for the battery disconnect.

I would imagine the technology has improved over the years, but not enough to make me want to try them again.

PostPosted: November 25th, 2014, 3:11 pm 

I tried the thermo cell heated boot liners last year. Took them back. The ones I had didn't work at all.

PostPosted: November 25th, 2014, 7:38 pm 

Membership Status: Associate Member
My feet get cold if it is 30 degrees. I have tried the Mickey mouse boots and about every type Cabela's sales. I bought some of the insoles that have a battery that is rechargeable and the battery hooks over the top of your boot. They have 4 settings on the battery and last about 6 to 8 hours. I can sit in below 0 weather for about 4 to 6 hours before the cold starts creeping in. I found out you don't want to turn them on until you stop walking or they do get hot. Very expensive 190.00 to 220.00 but they worked for me. They are called Hotronic footwear the ones with a battery about 2"H X3"W X1"T

The person who told me about them has had them for about 6 or 7 years and his battery will not take a charge now.

PostPosted: November 26th, 2014, 8:21 pm 

I hate cold feet. Got a set of the thermacell insoles. So far so good. They only last a couple hours, definately less than 3 if run continuously. Do come with a wall plug and a car cigarette lighter charger. I did some reading before I got them. I like the ability to turn on /off and high / low. I sat on stand the other night with an insulated overboot and had to keep turning them off cause they would warm things up quick. Got less than a season of experience with them, but satisfied so far. And yes, they are a tad pricey.

PostPosted: November 26th, 2014, 8:57 pm 

I kinda like cold feet. If they get numb enough you don't even know they're cold because you can't feel them anymore. I stepped on a reflector tack a couple weeks ago with bare feet right after my morning sit. Hardly felt a thing. Old age is great. UB

PostPosted: November 26th, 2014, 9:05 pm 

My brother bought a pair & he says they help but they certainly don't get hot & won't last all day on a charge. I hate the sitting in the cold & invested in a heater body suit... money well spent. It also solves the problem of getting sweaty before you get to your stand. I'll be in mine all day tomorrow!

PostPosted: November 26th, 2014, 9:13 pm 

I bought a pair of the electric warmers several years ago. I couldn't tell any difference. Waste of money. These were rechargeable insole with a rear end plug in to charge but I couldn't tell any difference.

PostPosted: November 26th, 2014, 9:20 pm 

I wear boots :shock:

PostPosted: November 27th, 2014, 6:10 am 

I'm an interested skeptic. If it would keep my feet warm I would be all in. I've never liked those little toe warmers which are obviously manufactured by evil elves somewhere. They seem to let me down when I need them most. I can envision the day when each stand setup has a small solar panel charging a deep cycle 12v marine battery...like a solar powered electric fence rig. We can climb up and then plug in our electric boots, mitts and bibs. Nobody would ever fear running out of smart phone battery that way either. Hey...they already have all this stuff for motorcycles and snowmobilers.

Somebody will figure out the boot insoles and make them reliable. When they do I might buy in...if I'm not too ancient to use them!

PostPosted: November 27th, 2014, 9:09 pm 

I use the Mickey mouse boots and a heater body suit. The white bunny boots are rated to - 60 and the black Mickey Mouse boots are rated to -20. If I ever had a problem, I would throw one of those 18 hr disposable body warmer into my feet of my heater body suit.

PostPosted: November 28th, 2014, 10:48 pm 

I've been using a Heater Body suit this year and have been wondering why I waited so long? I really like it!
I just ordered a pair of insoles that have a slot to insert a foot warmer packet. They are called Orthotic Heated Inserts http://www.zoro.com/g/Orthotic%20Heated ... /00107101/

A good friend of mine says he loves his, so I'm going to give them a try for a late season North Dakota hunt in a couple of weeks.

PostPosted: December 1st, 2014, 1:06 pm 

Thanks for the input. I have done a lot of looking online and with the Termacell boot warmers people either love them and think they are the best thing since sliced bread while others say they are a waste of money and did little if anything to heat their toes. Its almost as though there are two products out there...one works and the other doesn't.

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2014, 11:56 am 

I have the Thermacell boot warmers. The best way to maximize comfort on cold day is to start with the adhesive toe warmers and switch on the battery ones after the chemical ones wane. Can get six hours plus of comfort even in low teens...

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2014, 12:13 pm 

With Paul's recommendation, I have put it on my Christmas list. We'll see.

"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his power." -Ephesians 6:10
"Be Bold and mighty forces will come to your aid." - Goethe
"A lot of the physical is mental" - IronMind

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2014, 4:37 pm 
Site Admin

Joe Lasch wrote:
....I'm going to give them a try for a late season North Dakota hunt in a couple of weeks.

Magazine story by Joe Lasch: "The 18 State Hunting Season for Retirees"

Someone recently posted a flyer on my post office wall advertising Bunny Boots (White) and Mickey Mouse boots for sale. Let me know if you want the number! I think they were a hundred or a bit more for BB and $89 for MM.

I used BB in -30 while muskox hunting, no issues. A guy in Nome told me they are designed to be used sockless, bare foot goes straight in.

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2014, 4:41 pm 

I got a good system Arctic Shield booties these things work great now if its -30 degrees your a better man then I am. But put a hand warmer In with the the booties plus a good pair of insolated boots you'll have along sit without the cold feet.
Been in 3° cold sits with wind in CT once or twice with these things and I will tell you my feet were not cold but the rest of me was.
Gary

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2014, 10:18 pm 

I think Kevin is on to something. Lets get the PBS product and Marketing committee on it. Then we can get the product marketing committee to get some product placements in Videos. We can Generate millions in Funds for the PBS in non conventional ways. Hey... so what if you sell your soul lol.

I get cold feet easy. Hand warmers in the boots cause my feet to sweat, once they wear off I have to exchange or go home.

If there is a product that will keep my feet comfortable all day, i will spend the money.

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2014, 7:56 am 

I've used the Arctic Shield booties, too, and they work great. That said, they are a pain to put on when in the woods or in your tree stand.

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2014, 12:04 pm 

My experience with the booties is that they don't fit over many of the boots that I wear even though the shoe size indicates they should.

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2014, 5:22 pm 

I use the "HOT HANDS" full foot insole chemical warmers. They last several hours and you can not feel them when walking. Coupled with ragg wool socks and liner socks keep it tolerable. I get cold feet fast and then my resolve to keep hunting breaks down quickly.