It is currently September 19th, 2017, 5:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Buck armor
PostPosted: November 24th, 2014, 6:10 pm 

This is what the mature bucks hide behind in my neck of the woods. It seems to be fairly effective! :lol:

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Buck armor
PostPosted: November 24th, 2014, 6:22 pm 

Membership Status: Regular Member
REAL Tree camo. :lol:

PostPosted: November 24th, 2014, 7:00 pm 

Ok..So a little story to go along with the picture. This actually took place about 2 weeks ago. It was one of those mornings when you are so ready to hunt that you don't even need the alarm. I was up and out the door before the alarm got a chance to go off.
The wind was right to hunt my favorite farm. This farm is only 35 acres but man I have seen and shot some bruisers off of it. This place is just laid out to kill some good bucks in Nov.
Some mornings you just know and I knew this morning was going to be a good one. The temp. was right around 20 degrees and the wind was fairly still that morning at less than 10 mph out of the west.
At about 8 a.m. I had a small fork horn chase a doe past me.The doe was kind enough to stop at about 25 yards and lay me down some fresh urine before the little buck caught up to her and run her over the hill. Not more than a minute later another small buck came past me. He was obviously tracking the hot doe.I stood there holding my bow just certain that a good buck would soon follow.

PostPosted: November 24th, 2014, 7:01 pm 

Finally a good hour later here he comes!! One of those bucks that you don't even have to look closely at. It is painfully obvious that he is a very mature buck. He has a big muscular body with a deep chest and a bit of a pot belly. His neck is swollen so much it makes him look like he has a glandular problem. This big boy carries only 8 points but they are all long with good mass. Not a lot of spread but so what. Here he comes!! Just as he starts to get into range he picks up the pace to a pretty good trot. As he came into a good opening I grunted at him to try to get him to stop or slow down. Anything except that ground eating trot!
The opening he was going through was about 20 yards wide with thick cover on both sides. With him trotting through the crisp frosty leaves there must have been enough noise to cover my feeble attempts to stop him. The farther he trotted the louder I grunted. Finally he heard me. after he cleared my nice 20 yard wide shooting lane that is.
There he stands in the thick cover quartering away slightly and me trying to find an opening. I hunkered over slightly and there it was a soccer ball sized hole to his vitals. Right in the middle of that hole stood one lone hackberry sapling. Here is my chance. All I have to do is get past that sapling and its a slam dunk shot. Nothing but vitals on the other side of that little tree. Heck it isent but about 4" across. Plus archery is my living!No possible way I can mess this up now!! :roll: I have my spot picked just to the left of that tree. NOW!!It all goes to auto pilot. I never remember the shot when things are right. It just happens.
Suddenly I'm rudely awakened from my moment of bliss by the sound of a Grizzly Kodiak burying deep in that sapling that I could not possible have hit!
The buck takes a few steps then stops to look around. He did not have a clue what had just happened. All I could do is sit back down in my stand and smile. There was not anger, no regret, just the feeling of having my one chance at a mature buck for the year. So be it. Looks like tag soup again this year.
That is when I remember that this is an either sex tag and the does WILL pay for this big boy's good fortune. Oh yes they will!! :twisted: In fact they already have.

Last edited by Bill Dunn on November 24th, 2014, 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: November 24th, 2014, 7:02 pm 

Mike Vines wrote:
REAL Tree camo. :lol:

:oops: I knew there would be some dandy zingers come from that photo. :lol: Keep them coming!!

PostPosted: November 24th, 2014, 8:14 pm 

Membership Status: Associate Member
Boy that's a hard pill to swallow but it happens ...keep at em bill!

PostPosted: November 24th, 2014, 8:26 pm 

Bill, we've got them same dang tree's around here!!!

Last edited by Ethan Rodrigue on November 24th, 2014, 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: November 24th, 2014, 8:48 pm 

Ethan Rodrigue wrote:
Bill, we've got them sand dang tree's around here!!!

It's amazing how fast one of those dang trees can jump in front of an arrow.

PostPosted: November 24th, 2014, 9:25 pm 

Membership Status: Life Member
Geez, Bill, if you weren't shooting a kid's bow you would have got him! :lol: Seriously, we've all been there and done that. You'll get him next time.

PostPosted: November 24th, 2014, 9:54 pm 

Bill, Time to redesign the heads to pass through trees and still kill deer :lol:

PostPosted: November 25th, 2014, 8:12 am 

:lol: I think next time I'll deny that I was trying to shoot a deer.I believe I'll just say I was splitting wood for those cold mornings. :lol:

PostPosted: November 25th, 2014, 9:26 am 

Well, you can't hang it on the meat pole.......but you could make a meat pole out of it :)

PostPosted: November 25th, 2014, 11:54 am 

Good Story and Pic Bill!
Keep after them, there's plenty of season left, but its getting colder.....brrrrrrr.
I am in the same boat here in Kentucky. I have passed up numerous little bucks and have not even had a good shot at any bruisers or even does so far,so I will keep after them too!
Now that the acorns are being cleaned up and the rut is winding down, The bucks might be easier to pattern again. I hope!

Good luck to you!
Harry

PostPosted: November 25th, 2014, 12:59 pm 

Bill
You could have just tucked a dollar bill in there,and said you were getting in a little practice like the old Fred Bear shows.