It is currently November 21st, 2017, 7:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: PBS Froggin'
PostPosted: November 21st, 2014, 2:13 am 

Membership Status: Associate Member
So, a few weeks ago, I ran an idea past my regional representative, Terry Receveur. For years, I have found bullfrogs to be the perfect game animal for young children to take with a bow. Close shots, unrestricted tackle, etc. Considering all the pbs members with young children, I thought a gathering for members and their children in the area to chase some bulls would be a fine idea. Terry agreed, and suggested I post in hopes of raising support and brainstorming ideas to make this a great experience. So, I would love to hear suggestions for any and all. It would be greatly appreciated, as this is still only in the planning stage. Thank you.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: PBS Froggin'
PostPosted: November 21st, 2014, 6:56 am 

Membership Status: Regular Member
As you know, I think it is an excellent idea and I very much appreciate you stepping up and trying to make this happen.

Besides a ton of fun, frog legs are some fine eating.

Looking forward to this Chris and I'm happy to help in any way possible.

PostPosted: November 21st, 2014, 7:18 am 

Great Idea Chris..

I haven't been able to make Kids, but I would love to come.

Let me know how I can help... Season is still 8 months away. Maybe this spring you and I can scout some good Froggin Waters for a group.

Also, I volunteer to cook them at the end of the hunt if people are so inclined. I could bring a camp stove and a cast Iron fry pan.

PostPosted: November 21st, 2014, 7:46 am 

Membership Status: Regular Member
Awesome idea Bud!! Looking for word to helping out. I have about 2 or 3 youth bows if needed. 25#ers

PostPosted: November 21st, 2014, 1:23 pm 

Glad to see you all on board, guys. Your offers are all great; we've got 8 months, we can all really get the word out and make this an incredible event.
Charlie, a spring scouting trip is a great idea. I mentioned Carter's Pond WMA (I know you know how much I love that place by now). It really brings a lot to the table: public land, lots of room, well-groomed trails, and plenty of frogs. But I am second-guessing it a bit; frogging is much better once the sun sets, and that's not an option at the WMA. I have taken big bulls out of there, but I could only imagine how many more pop up at night. Been considering the frog pond Ron discovered (do you remember the name of that state forest), or even asking Green Island Rod and Gun if they might let us do this there. Any thoughts?

PostPosted: November 21st, 2014, 5:38 pm 

All Great Ideas Chris.

The Green Island club might be an option but I guess once we get a count on participants it will be the largest factor on where...

Ron's place was called Charlton State forest. Lots of Frogs and tons of room and lots of ponds but access could be tough especially at night and the frogs generally are not huge. But there is plenty of room to camp so we could check the regs on that if that's something we are interested in. The fact that its a target rich environment and more ponds than what we hit would make it a desirable choice.

I have never been to Carters pond but have been past it and know its a beautiful area.

Its funny, I always see places I think would be great while driving but then forget about them. I will start driving with a note pad and write them down.

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2014, 2:34 am 

Charlie Janssen wrote:
Ron's place was called Charlton State forest. Lots of Frogs and tons of room and lots of ponds but access could be tough especially at night and the frogs generally are not huge. But there is plenty of room to camp so we could check the regs on that if that's something we are interested in. The fact that its a target rich environment and more ponds than what we hit would make it a desirable choice.

I thought about that too. Not many big ones (the only one I recall was that bull I took from the canoe, and honestly, I'd call him a "medium" even by NY standards). However, some nightly scouting this may or june could show otherwise. The big ones always come out at night.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]