It is currently August 21st, 2017, 6:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: November 13th, 2014, 6:23 pm 

Membership Status: Regular Member
Gear is part of the equation when you head afield, and some of us are always looking for the better mousetrap.

I was getting ready for Alaska this year when I thought of something I'd seen in Hawaii. Scuba booties looked like they had real potential as a good camp shoe in wet conditions. I looked into them and ended up buying a pair from TUSA. Mine are 6" high and made of thick neoprene with a molded outsole. They have a side zipper and are really easy to put on/take off. They're waterproof to the very top and tough as nails. I wore these every single day and they were better than anything I've ever used. I think they would be great in snow, or for bow-fishing use. Cheap ones can be had for $29 and the better models are $50 on up. I think my TUSAs cost around $65.

Attachment:
tg2Sept27 118.JPG
tg2Sept27 118.JPG [ 611.96 KiB | Viewed 2624 times ]

Attachment:
tg2Sept27 116.JPG
tg2Sept27 116.JPG [ 600.9 KiB | Viewed 2624 times ]

Attachment:
tg2Sept27 117.JPG
tg2Sept27 117.JPG [ 528.2 KiB | Viewed 2624 times ]

PostPosted: November 13th, 2014, 7:35 pm 

Membership Status: Associate Member
They work great for wade fishing in the marsh and pluff mud here.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: November 13th, 2014, 8:08 pm 

Ha! The good old dive boots! I have been using those boots for stalking for years! I prefer them over my Vibram five fingers any day! I need to buy some of that glue to patch mine up iv got a couple holes in them. Gee Kevin they look all pretty and clean! Hey since it's coming into you're winter I will make you a deal.... Ship those bad boys down here I will dirty them up for you and as a added bonus I will write up a review on this website, but wait it gets better, do it now Kev and I will place a sticker on them saying tried and tested in NZ before shipping them back to you, bragging rights to tell all your friends about, How about it Kevin ;)

PostPosted: November 14th, 2014, 6:22 am 

The only way I'm shipping those to Kiwi-land is with me in them.

PostPosted: November 14th, 2014, 9:02 am 

Richard, Not sure if you can get it NZ but the best glue for neoprene is Aqua-Seal. Developed originally to repair wet suits. Once cured (24 hours) it is as tough as nails and will out last the rest of what ever you put it on.

Pete

PostPosted: November 14th, 2014, 4:50 pm 

Just pulling you're leg :D. Hey Pete, yea mate that's the stuff I was thinking about.

PostPosted: November 16th, 2014, 11:03 am 

It's funny how we come across things that really fit certain situations. About 20 years ago on our rough mountain hunt I couldn't find my beach shoes that I used to wear to protect my feet from the sharpe rocks when taking a bath in the creek. Digging through my gear I came across my US Diver dive boots, they will work and I've been using them ever since.

Kevin did you wear them just around camp? I've wondered if they would make good stalking shoes.

PostPosted: November 17th, 2014, 6:02 am 

I only used them in camp but they would be excellent for final approach on stalks. I used to take leather mocs for camp shoes but the scuba boots are way better for wet days, doing laundry chores, fetching water from the river and just the general bumping around camp stuff.

I started this thread with the intention that guys might share some thoughts and experiences on the gear they use. Not necessarily the common stuff we all know about, but maybe the things discovered to have a lot of usefulness in camp or while hunting.

PostPosted: November 21st, 2014, 8:47 am 

Kevin,

Along the lines of camp shoes I've found i really enjoy crocs, or in my case the knock offs. After a hard day of exertion they are as comfortable as you can find. They weight just ounces, slip on and off with no effort, keep my feet warm reasonably well because wool socks fit inside them and they make great shower shoes. Shake them out after getting wet and they are dry in minutes. They have been in my deer camp the last few years.

PostPosted: November 21st, 2014, 10:24 am 

X2 on the Crocs- I end up wearing them all the time, they've gone from camp to the garden, to retrieving the paper in the morning. Dillbilly, I'm thinking I might have to own some of those scuba boots, might end up being my go to for the SUP!
Diceman

PostPosted: November 25th, 2014, 1:06 am 

Those boots look comfortable Kevin. If I can spare the weight like a fly- or boat-in trip and making camp nearby, I have a pair of some kind of Muck slip-on shoe that I bring. Real warm, waterproof, and easy on and off for short trips around camp.

Just for grins, I dug up some pics of some good gear in action. Some of the pics aren't so great because the focus was usually something else in the pic.

The red thing in the lower left of this pic is some Kahtoola microspikes on my boots. Great for steep muddy or icy slopes. Slip right over the boots quick like the old style galoshes. Stainless chains with small triangles grab mud or ice real well, and I mostly don't notice the weight in my pack or on my feet.

PostPosted: November 25th, 2014, 1:23 am 

And I really like Mountain Hardwear Epic gloves. They are light but warm enough for active hunting or cool days. But they are absolutely waterproof and weigh very little. The fabric on the newer ones does make them a bit loud.
. My old pair.

my new pair

PostPosted: November 25th, 2014, 8:25 pm 

This is the stuff I'm looking to explore on this thread. There are always things we've found which are very good in hard hunting use, and yet some guys may not be aware of them. The scuba boots are a good example for me. I liked them because they were 100% waterproof and warm around camp. I almost wish I had a use for them between hunts.

Anyone who's been reading and following much of my stuff knows I discovered Black Rock Gear over a year ago. Small boutique business making the highest quality goose-down beanies, caps, mittens, muffs and a few other things. This guy is serious about quality. His stuff is feather-light (of course!) and feels like instant heat when worn. Best thing is it takes up no room in a pack or pocket. I have his Hadron-S Beanie, Foldback Mittens, and BlackRock Cap. The mittens are quite simply the best system I've ever used for having warm hands yet being able to shoot easily without any hassle. Check this guy out...you'll be impressed if you buy. www.blackrockgear.com

PostPosted: November 26th, 2014, 11:08 am 

Good stuff! Kevin...I've been looking for some good camp shoes for elk camp. I'd been thinking of using something like Crocs but those scuba boots look like just the ticket!

Here's an item I keep in my pack at all times. It's a light weight, mini-tripod called a Gorillapod and only weighs 1.6 oz. The legs are flexible and you can wrap them around a small tree, fence post, or just about anything. You can also straighten them out and use it like a standard tripod (I usually lay my pack down and set it on that to get it a little higher). I like to be able to take a decent pic of myself with any animals I'm lucky enough to take or maybe a group pic with me in it but I don't want to haul a tripod around most of the time and trying to balance a camera on a log or rock can be a real pain. I've found this little gadget to be a good compromise.

PostPosted: November 26th, 2014, 7:31 pm 

I have had one of those little Gorilla tripods for a few years. The legs can be twisted into most any configuration such as wrapping around a limb. They are great!

PostPosted: November 26th, 2014, 9:17 pm 

So I just put a plug in for this on the foot warmer thread but it's worth repeating. Heater Body Suit. They ain't cheap but they're worth it for sitting on stand. I used to dread when it got cold... I just couldn't keep my hands, feet, etc. warm. Now I live in it from November on & never get cold. I wouldn't part with mine!

PostPosted: December 30th, 2014, 3:33 pm 

Here's something that is working great for me and I just had to share. I started using these gloves last year, buy em at Home Depot for about $5, to walk to my stand in the morning darkness, with the idea that my scent won't be as noticeable if I have to touch something in my path. I figure it's better than using a bare hand. They keep your hands a bit warmer than nothing, but my hands don't sweat like a surgical type glove because the backs are "open" mesh, and yet they're fairly tough.They aren't totally waterproof, but, since I usually spray some sort of scent on my boots somewhere on my way to stand, they do a pretty good job of keeping the stink off a guys hands.

Because of their design they stretch when you put em on and they fit...well, like a glove. Dexterity is great, I can easily work buttons on a shirt with em on, not to mention anything else I have to do before I'm ready to actually shoot. Which brings up the real beauty of these cheapo gems. I noticed the pair I used last year were starting to wear, they weren't as sticky, actually quite smooth. Like smooth enough to shoot with instead of a shooting glove or tab. I started to practice with them, and my fingers sting after a bit, and for long shooting sessions I'll still use a shooting glove, but I can't see me ever hunting without them again.