It is currently July 27th, 2017, 1:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Veteran's Day Hunt
PostPosted: November 11th, 2014, 8:53 pm 

Membership Status: Associate Member
Since I work for the county I was fortunate to have today off work... and I planned to spend all of it in a tree. I have not been seeing many deer of late and definitely not the bucks I should be seeing at this time of year. So it was with cautious optimism that I went to the stand this morning. A strong south wind was blowing which is perfect for my favorite stand. It is located in a 50 yard wide finger of woods that connects a thicket to about 500 acres of timber and is bordered by crops to the south and an old hayfield filled with poverty grass to the north. Entry from the north has to be early to beat the deer in from the crops, but with a good S wind it can be done.

I climbed into the stand early, about 5:15, and eagerly awaited daylight. The moon was so bright that I could clearly see the small buck that chased a doe past me at 15 yards at 6:00. I figured things were just heating up , but when the sky turned pink in the east there were no deer to be seen. I sat peacefully all morning with the antics of two fox squirrels to keep me entertained. Woodpeckers were fluttering about and hawks screeched overhead, but still not a deer around. I knew better than to let my guard down. I never see a lot of deer here but it is a magnet for midday cruising bucks.

At 11:00 I see antlers heading toward me from the east and I get in position to shoot. When the buck shows up two things were immediately clear: He was going to pass by upwind around 15 yards, and his rack was busted up. I struggled with this one. I will let young, smaller racked deer walk but this guy looked pretty good. He was a ten point a little wider than his ears and decent tine length on his right side. His left side had both the third and fourth point missing. He looked to be a young deer. He was coming fast and I could not get in the zone. I thought about something I had read, I believe Don Thomas wrote it, if you have to think about shooting the animal you don't really want to. At that point I lowered my bow and managed to get a couple seconds of video footage. At 1:00 the neighbors to the north brought a track hoe out in the hay field to do some digging, so I left to finish the day in another spot.

I settled into a brush blind in a fence row at 2:00. I was on the same farm and the wind was perfect. The fence row runs north and south. Fifty yards to the south is the confluence of 3 properties, 2 of them fenced, creating an ideal spot for deer to enter the alfalfa field to the west directly in front of me. The wind had shifted to SW so anything in front of me would be none the wiser. At 4:00 I saw a buck in the neighboring pasture working my way. 4 does followed directly behind him. Strange, it should be the other way around. Anyway the farmer drove back to check his cattle at that exact time scattering the deer... and my hopes. I tried to remain positive as he drove away; he was in no way to blame.

At 4:30 I heard foot steps in the brush behind me. I slowly turned my head to see the exact same broken up ten point from this morning! He was on a mission just like before and never saw me. He did smell me though and he lit out of there like his tail was on fire! I really giggled to myself after that. I can say that I have never seen the same cruising buck in the same day, much less at fifteen yards both times. Somehow he looked bigger running away than when I decided to pass him...

5:15 and it has clouded over and is threatening rain. A single deer walks out from between the fences. My initial thought is "buck" but I can't see it that well. As it works toward me I realize it is a lone doe. I keep looking behind it but nothing is following. Suddenly I feel myself locking in on a spot behind her shoulder. I normally get a doe or 2 in October but this year I have not. With an empty freezer and thoughts of grilled backstraps the decision is easy. She slowly walks in front of me and stops looking away out into the field. I pick my spot and smoothly come to full draw. When my arrow disappears through her my immediate thought was dead deer! But it didn't work out that way. She ran back to the fence opening and stood, head down and tail flicking, for ten minutes. Then she slowly walked back into the woods. I could not understand what just happened. In my mind I saw a perfect hit but obviously something went wrong. I sat quietly until dark and then walked out into the field to look for sign. I found my arrow straight off. It was covered in half digested rumen material. I immediately snuck out. After talking things over with a friend of mine on the phone I decided to leave her and look for her in the morning. I called my boss and she graciously allowed me to take sick leave to look for the doe.

I will update this post tomorrow good or bad. I will look until I find her or I am positive she is still alive. I know these things happen but the game we hunt deserves better than the performance I just gave. I just hope I can get some sleep tonight.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Veteran's Day Hunt
PostPosted: November 11th, 2014, 9:11 pm 

Good luck finding her!!

PostPosted: November 11th, 2014, 9:32 pm 

Good luck with your search. You definitely made the right decision to back out till morning.

PostPosted: November 12th, 2014, 10:06 am 

Found her this morning first thing, she must have turned at the shot. I hit the back of one lung, liver, and exit through the rumen. She was laying 50 yards from where I last saw her. I will post pictures later tonight or tomorrow.

PostPosted: November 12th, 2014, 11:16 am 
Site Admin

Membership Status: Regular Member
Good job, especially waiting until morning for her.

Romans 10:15 “.......How beautiful are the feet of those that bring the Good News of Jesus...”

PostPosted: November 12th, 2014, 11:36 am 

What Chad and Jeff said; X 3. Great feeling when you recover them like that! Good job.

PostPosted: November 12th, 2014, 12:15 pm 

Good deal! I'm glad it worked out for ya. Congrats!

PostPosted: November 12th, 2014, 1:37 pm 

Really enjoyed the story with its twists and turns. The best part of any hunt is the mystery it holds. Nice that this mystery ended with a fine doe and happy PBSer. Congratulations....and tell your boss our entire organization approves of her executive skills!

PostPosted: November 13th, 2014, 9:23 am 

Thanks everyone for the comments, that one had me a little stressed out. Due to work commitments and meat processing posting pictures is taking a backseat for now. Hope to get them up tonight. I have to agree with what Kevin posted on his thread about the deer being loaded with fat this year. She will eat very well!

PostPosted: November 14th, 2014, 8:30 pm 

In the rush of getting her out and trying get to work quickly I had my fiancée snap a quick picture after I hung her up. For those interested the bow is a Northern Mist Classic 67@28 and the arrows are Douglas Fir tipped with 155 Grizzlies. The quiver is rawhide based loosely on the Saxton Pope plans but constructed to be a side quiver offering total arrow protection. I made it from the skin of the first deer I killed with a longbow.
Attachment:
2014_doe.jpg
2014_doe.jpg [ 191.16 KiB | Viewed 1531 times ]

My fiancée Morgan and I processed the meat into burger last night and enjoyed a delightful meal of grilled backstraps tonight. I hope everyone enjoyed this story as much as we are enjoying the meat!

PostPosted: November 15th, 2014, 7:57 pm 

Membership Status: Life Member
Well done, Zach. No hunt is a given, so it's up to dedicated PBSers to put the extra effort into doing it the right way and showing the rest of the hunting community what commitment really means.