It is currently June 25th, 2017, 10:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: November 9th, 2014, 12:52 am 

Membership Status: Associate Member
Been on my bucket list for a long time, next spring me and my son going to do it. he will be staying and i will fly back home

Thinking about April , what is the weather like ? any good advice , what to see ,

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: November 9th, 2014, 1:37 am 
Site Admin

Membership Status: Life Member
First step, buy a Milepost, recent is always better. Final destination is?

PostPosted: November 9th, 2014, 4:50 am 

Fairbanks got the 2014milepost

PostPosted: November 9th, 2014, 8:18 am 

Membership Status: Regular Member
If I ever am able to retire, that is on the list.

How long is he staying??? That could really open up some non resident hunting opportunities for you Dad!

PostPosted: November 9th, 2014, 9:43 am 

I have driven the Alcan three times so far. The last time was in 97 so the roads may have improved some. As far as weather goes anything can happen in April. It will be a fun drive but be prepared for snow and ice once you get in Northern Canada. I also went to the bank to exchange money for Canadian. The exchange rate was very good for US dollars. I spent about three days going through Canada. Take your time and plan your stops and in joy the trip.

PostPosted: November 10th, 2014, 12:57 am 

Craig,

If you enjoy driving its great. Pretty sure that it is completely paved now, in the old days quite a bit was gravel. I've driven it twice in the time frame that you're talking (late March/early April). The last time was only 3 1/2 years ago in late March/early April. Very light traffic except when going thru or around the major cities. Once you get into Canada a ways there is generally still snow but also generally bare if not dry roads. But it can be stormy and you can expect some fresh snow or ice. Gas gets quite a bit more expensive as you drive further North. Banf is a relatively short side trip that is worth seeing. I think it was at a museum in Watson Lake (was looking for a clean bathroom for my wife !) that there was a mounted mountain lion that had been found near there starved not too many years ago, I thought that was interesting. Had sheep, bison, caribou, and probably some other critters that I can't remember right on the road in a number of places. And no offense to Canada or Canadians but am always surprised how good I feel when I roll into the good 'ol USA again. Related, the border crossings were pretty low key but definitely read up on what you can and cannot take across the border into Canada. Also, I think you are required to have studded tires thru March or April in the Canadian section, although I don't think its enforced much. When I've driven it my short days were 600 miles and long ones were over 900, so the sight seeing was at 60+ miles an hour.

PostPosted: November 12th, 2014, 9:04 am 

Hey Craig... We drove it this summer in a motor coach. I wouldn't do it that way again, honestly, but by car? Yes. I would.

I can't speak to the condition of the roads in April because, as I said, it was the Summer when we drove it. But here are some comments and thoughts.

1) You'll often hear the folks up there say there are two seasons in Alaska; winter and road repair season. By that, they mean that just as soon as the roads thaw out, they start the road repairs. My point is that I wouldn't expect roads to be thawed out in April yet, so I suspect it'll be an adventurous kind of drive. Sounds like our kind of FUN, right?

2) Check the Milepost, as Steve suggested. The "Top of the World" highway out of Dawson City may not be opened yet in April. That would be the most direct route to Fairbanks as I recall. That's a pretty rugged stretch of road with no services.

3) There are some beautiful emerald colored lakes along the way. The area around Muncho Lake comes to mind, but I suspect most (if not all) will still be frozen and you'll miss that part of the experience.

4) Spare tire(s), tools, extra fuel should be on top of the supply list... again, especially at that time of the year. I suspect at least some of the places along the remote roads will not be opened yet.

5) Keep your camera ready... you'll never know what you'll see along the highway.

Sure hope you have time to go slow and enjoy the drive with frequent stops and layovers... It's really an unspoiled land!!!!

PS: I tried to attach some photos of critters along the roads, but the files are too large to attach. Sorry.

PostPosted: November 12th, 2014, 11:22 am 
Site Admin

Sounds like a great father-son trip to me.

Romans 10:15 “.......How beautiful are the feet of those that bring the Good News of Jesus...”

PostPosted: April 6th, 2015, 3:49 pm 

Well its April are you coming up?

PostPosted: April 6th, 2015, 8:11 pm 

Membership Status: Life Member
Dick Hamilton told me several times of his trip up the Alcan from Texas in the mid-60's while pulling a single wide trailer with a semi and his wife along with three children trailing in a pickup. I seem to recall it taking him two weeks and 57 flat tires.....Now, that's an adventure!

"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his power." -Ephesians 6:10
"Be Bold and mighty forces will come to your aid." - Goethe
"A lot of the physical is mental" - IronMind

PostPosted: April 6th, 2015, 8:34 pm 

Ive actually done this trip several times. Its really not a big deal. Its paved the whole way if I remember right except maybe the road construction areas. Invest in a Mileage post book like Steve has suggested.