It is currently October 16th, 2017, 5:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: November 25th, 2014, 8:16 pm 

Membership Status: Regular Member
Kevin Dill wrote:
"We can save the elite-elitist conversation for another thread. I don't want to take this one off topic as it has produced some very good dialogue so far and I don't want to help take it off the rails."

Thank you!

;)

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: November 26th, 2014, 7:22 pm 

Membership Status: Associate Member
Hello folks. I'm Not a member and have a few questions. I recently found your organization through journey of the bow video. I was thoroughly impressed with it's message and felt compelled to investigate further. I am an avid bowhunter and appreciate the standards set forth by your organization. I have read this entire thread as well as all the historic documents and the code of ethics. I am still confused on the requirements for membership. It seems that there is a 65% let off rule in effect for all members who hunt with a compound bow. At the same time I detect an undertone that it's widely understood that this let off rule is not followed and there are members who hunt with high let off compounds. Now let me be clear, I hunt with both a high let off compound and traditional gear. I have killed deer this season with both and am still hunting with both. I have no plans to stop using a compound nor my longbows. Could someone please clarify the requirements? I'm a little simple minded and need things spelled out :D . I would like to know if I qualify for associate membership? I cannot in good faith join your organization if I don't truely meet your requirements. Thanks

Scott Record

PostPosted: November 26th, 2014, 8:07 pm 

Scott,

There has been much speculation, discussion and questions on this topic for a good while. There are many opinions from one end of the spectrum to the other.

The generally accepted rule of today is that Associate Members do not have such restrictions placed upon them. All new members come in at the Associate Level and a personal can stay at the associate level indefinitely if they chose.

I am glad you found us and I would like to see you join the PBS and further learn what we are all about.

P.J.

PostPosted: November 26th, 2014, 8:55 pm 

Glad you found us Scott. To my knowledge associate members can use compounds or trad equipment, I do at least. To qualify for regular membership (ability to vote etc) you must have taken 8 big game animals with the traditional equipment.

If you dont mind shedding some light on a question of mine-how specifically did you find the PBS if I may ask?

Either way welcome, PBS is a fantastic group of bowhunters with a lot of knowledge I hope you find that you want to join someday.

Aim for the spot on the spot

PostPosted: November 26th, 2014, 9:31 pm 

Jacob Chapman wrote:
Glad you found us Scott. To my knowledge associate members can use compounds or trad equipment, I do at least. To qualify for regular membership (ability to vote etc) you must have taken 8 big game animals with the traditional equipment.

When did the the traditional equipment requirement for 8 big game animals change?

PostPosted: November 26th, 2014, 9:41 pm 

Rob Patuto wrote:
Jacob Chapman wrote:

When did the the traditional equipment requirement for 8 big game animals change?

Yeah, that is not correct. Nothing has changed. 8 animals with a PBS legal bow.

PostPosted: November 26th, 2014, 11:37 pm 

Jacob Chapman wrote:
If you dont mind shedding some light on a question of mine-how specifically did you find the PBS if I may ask?

Not at all. I believe I first saw reference to PBS on tradgang. I looked at this site a year or so ago and ordered a sample magazine. I enjoyed the magazine and at the time came to the conclusion that it was basically a trad only organization. Recently I came across a reference to the video of Journey of Challenge and once again found myself looking at PBS.

PostPosted: November 26th, 2014, 11:51 pm 

I suppose my confusion lies in the Code of Ethics and equipment standards referenced in the PBS brochure. I could find no such document on this site but did find a pdf file on bowsite with no date that stated in part:

[b][b]Compound Bows and Acceptable Draw Weight “Let-Off ”
A member of the Professional Bowhunters Society® will not hunt or
pursue game with any bow capable of more than 65% let-off, as defined
by the Pope & Young Club’s Definition of a Hunting Bow, Arrow, and
Broadhead dated May 1998.*
[/b]

I didn't see where the type of membership was differentiated in the above statement concerning let off.

Thanks

PostPosted: November 27th, 2014, 12:17 am 

Rob Patuto wrote:
Jacob Chapman wrote:

It has not changed. 8 animals with approved archery equipment. Plenty of people have applied for regular membership with compound kills.

There was some discussion on this thread suggesting that could be/ would be acceptable in the future but it was opinions of members not policy suggestions or opinions of sitting council members.

PostPosted: November 27th, 2014, 6:16 am 

There is always a degree of misunderstanding or misinformation out there on what we do and represent as the PBS. I've heard non-members make statements about PBS policy which were totally false, but it leaves people with a wrong impression. I know that all organizations deal with it, too. Keeping a clear and accurate message in front of people is part of how we expand our brand.

PostPosted: November 27th, 2014, 4:32 pm 

Ok guys I'm in. Just joined via PayPal. I'm looking forward to learning about and getting involved with PBS. Have a blessed thanksgiving!

PostPosted: November 27th, 2014, 10:06 pm 

Welcome Scott! I hope our paths will cross in person down the road, but for now look forward to getting to know you here.

PostPosted: November 28th, 2014, 11:28 am 

My mistake, I apologize I thought it ws required with a trad bow.

Welcome Scott!

Aim for the spot on the spot

PostPosted: December 1st, 2014, 9:22 am 

Welcome Scott and good talk among the group - Jacob good thread.

couple a things - first is PBS members use traditional tackle. 95% which is why many perceive PBS to be a traditional organization. PBS took a stand against increasing the compound advantage formally along with P&Y when we/they drafted the COE policy. That is where the 65% maximum allowable came from - it was the latest and greatest of the time. The PBS COE also stands against using light bulbs or other battery operated things attached to the bow or arrow. Since the COE is not by laws it has never been enforced but that is not to say it is unpopular with members. Truth is there are more members who do not want to remove the 65% barrier than do want it removed. The COE is a set of ideals and as such intended to pursue a direction counter to the "dollars and cents" industry and the "easier want success now" of the less committed bowhunters.

8 animals: It is true most bowhunters have some experience with a compound. It is also true that the animals taken with compounds presented in "qualified/regular" applications is negligible. What we see consistently is a presentation of animal harvests well over the 8 animal minimum taken with traditional tackle. In fact I think I only saw one application where the number of compound kills was significant. The trend is moving towards "traditional" kills. Presently it would be awkward to present animals taken with higher than 65% - how does a member ask to be a "Qualified/Regular" and bypass the easy COE standards.

Associates/Regulars: as mentioned this seems to be changing - when I joined I signed that I fully supported PBS ideals and mission - there was no distinction in conduct or equipment because there were none. This is no longer the case. There is a trend to be more allowing to associates and possibly move to ask more of our regulars. I think nobody wants to be the bow police and prefer sharing knowledge and being fraternal. Still most of us believe technology has lessened the contrast value of modern bowhunting that was so intrinsic to bowhunting before the compound explosion. In many cases modern technology has destroyed bow seasons with the shear numbers of tag buyers who have brought nothing more to the bow season than their latest purchase. Finally we see so many states that now consider compound crossbows "bows" - something that never could have happened without the continued monetary support of the millions of compound buyers. Also the main external purpose of PBS is to protect "traditional bow only seasons" so at some point to support what we love - which is bowhunting - most of us feel we need to distance ourselves from the anything goes average bowhunter of today.

PBS is made up of the most dedicated bowhunters who in many cases are well rounded serious woodsman. Generous beyond the call to help others be safe and successful in the field. For every 20 members - 1 shoots a compound. Something appealed to you and I'm guessing it wasn't 80%.

Good luck with your membership and good hunting
Cory<><
<---------------------<<<<<<

PostPosted: December 1st, 2014, 10:11 am 

Membership Status: Life Member
Scott,

You will best find out about PBS and what membership has to offer if you can attend one of our membership hunts, off-year shoots, or our next banquet/convention in St. Augustine, FL in March 2016. A lot of opportunities for you to meet and associate with other members. Check out membership hunts and off-year shoots on this website.

John

PostPosted: December 1st, 2014, 5:15 pm 

Scott,

You might also be interested to know that our most recent survey showed a preponderance of our members (who shoot traditional style bows) had a primary hunting partner who shot a compound bow. Whether that was a wife, brother, other relative or just a good friend, it adequately shows that a probable majority of PBS members do not shun modern equipment users. There is often an incorrect assumption that a traditional bow user has an anti-compound ideology. This is clearly not the case for a surprising number of PBS members and traditional bow users in general. It's very realistic to like a specific weapon (traditional bow) and enjoy hunting with it, without having a negative mindset toward those who choose to use something different. I'm unequivocally in that category. 'Expanding the brand' is again more easily accomplished when potential PBS members understand us and how we really feel about tolerance and diversity within the ranks of ethical bowhunters who might be considering membership.

Thank you for taking the plunge and joining us!