It is currently September 19th, 2017, 5:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: October 31st, 2014, 2:58 pm 

Membership Status: Regular Member
Below is part and parcel of an email I sent out to a group of guys I've hunted with, and who have expressed interest in this trip. Right now, it's looking like there will be room from two, three, or four more when we make this trip in the late March/early April timeframe. The reason is that we don't have an exact date right now. I'm waiting to hear from a couple more guys before we iron out an actual date, and so I fully expect that once we do, one or two guys may have scheduling conflicts. And so, I'm fishing for interest.

Right now, I have 4 PBSers (self included) on the list. (not posting any names unless I have their permission.) I have one prominent Compton member, and a scattering of local trad guys.

If anybody is interested, let me know. I don't need commitments at this time. The time for commitment will be in the Dec/Jan timeframe when we actually come up with a date (as I think I suggest in the following text.)

If you have questions, ask away. I'll try to answer them. If you would like to talk, just PM me and I'll send you my cell phone number.

Just keep in mind, that space will mostly likely be limited to 10 because of the available space on the airboats.

================================

Hey guys:

I’m starting to get a preliminary head count for a bowfishing trip down to Southern Style Bowfishing charters south of Port Sulphur, Louisiana. This is going to be sometime during the March/April timeframe. The actual dates will be based on availability, and by some of you guys. For example, school “spring break” dates could possibly factor in, and so that’s why I’m starting to get a feel for who is interested and who is not. Also, I know several of us are going to the Spike Box for a hog hunt in Feb, so for that reason, I’d also want to push this bowfishing trip back to later March/April… but not so far back that its starting to warm up too much.

So here are some of the particulars:

This is for a nightime airboat bowfishing trip down towards the tip of the Louisiana boot in the coastal marshes. We bowfish for two nights with longbows and recurves. He has compounds, but no longbows or recurves, so you’d have to bring your own. We shoot primarily Redfish, but can also shoot Drum, Sheephead, and Alligator Gar. If this would be your first trip, I can promise you, you’ve never done anything like this before with your bow! Buzzing through the marsh at night is a blast!

The cost of the trip is around $275/person/night. That includes lodging. He has another option that includes lodging and meals that costs $350/night.

On one hand, that’s a lot of money for a between season, “something to do with a bow” kind of trip. On the other hand, when you realize the cost of the airboats, maintenance, and fuel, it’s a bargain. (If I remember correctly, they generally burn in the neighborhood of 40 gallons of premium gasoline on each boat every night they go out.)

We don’t generally go for the package that includes meals. Rather, we usually all get together and buy snacks, bread, cold cuts and beverages for breakfast and lunch, and then go out to one of the small restaurants in that part of the world for an early dinner before we go out for the night. WE DONT COOK. For the snacks for lunch and breakfast, we usually do that as a group on the way down to Port Sulphur and everybody shares the cost. This is where we generally get our liquid fortification as well!!! Even though we don’t opt for the meals package, Alan (boat captain) has on occasion cooked a meal for us. That’ll depend on his mood, I suppose. We’ll just have to wait. We’ve generally tipped him pretty well, and I think he remembers those kinds of things. The bottom line is that when figuring your costs, you should consider an occasional restaurant meal as well as whatever snacks and beverages (including adult) we’ll want to get.

There won’t be any other hotel costs to worry about. As I said, his lodging is included in that cost, and while you’re in Baton Rouge, everybody can stay at my place… no hotels/motels necessary.

Also, we generally chip in for fuel for whoever drives us down to Port Sulphur. (It’s about a 3 hour drive from my house) (If its my vehicle, that’s not an issue. But for the other guys, I think its appropriate.)

I’m not looking for a commitment right now. All I want to do is get a head count for any of you guys who are seriously interested. If you are, let me know… if NOT, also let me know. I’ll be looking to fill two boats. That would be 8 to 10 people. Number’s matter. We can have between 4 to 5 people per boat... any less is not cost feasible and any more gets too crowded. So if only 6 or 7 people sign up, the 6th and 7th person to commit WOULD NOT able to join us… We would need a minimum of 8 people for the second boat.

So here’s what the itinerary would look like after we come up with the dates:

Sat/Sun = Arrive Baton Rouge (I can pick up from airport for anyone flying in)
Mon noon = Depart for Southern Style Bowfishing south of Port Sulphur
Mon evening = 1st night bowfishing
Tue evening = 2nd night bowfishing
Wed morning = Return Baton Rouge (usually arrive BR around 2:00 PM)

If anyone is flying back home, it would be possible to fly out Wednesday afternoon/evening if necessary (after 5 pm to be safe) . It would be better to schedule return flights on Thursday… or even Friday if you’re not in a hurry.

Here’s a link to the place we’ve been going for the past few years. The bowfishing is about the same at all places. We’ve found the accommodations at this place to be better than others places we’ve stayed.

http://www.southernstylebowfishing.com

A word about the bowfishing: It’s like any other kind of fishing or hunting. Weather matters. We’ve had great nights… we’ve had bad nights. If its windy and the waters are murky, its hard to see the fish. We’ve never had rain but I would think some kind of rain gear would be in order. It’s generally cool at nights that time of year, but not cold. Days are generally already warming up for us down here in South Louisiana.

=======================

So there are the details... Questions? Comments?

Attachments:
File comment: One of two airboats...
IMG_6042.JPG
IMG_6042.JPG [ 2.92 MiB | Viewed 1885 times ]
File comment: "Catch" for one night
IMG_4327.JPG
IMG_4327.JPG [ 603.78 KiB | Viewed 1885 times ]
File comment: Heading out...
IMG_6059.JPG
IMG_6059.JPG [ 1.96 MiB | Viewed 1885 times ]
IMG_6069.JPG
IMG_6069.JPG [ 648.7 KiB | Viewed 1885 times ]

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: October 31st, 2014, 3:43 pm 

I'm IN!

PostPosted: October 31st, 2014, 4:16 pm 

Yes you are... You were one of the names I did not mention.

Attachments:
File comment: Here's a pic of a post-evening celebratory adult beverage happening!
IMG_6078.JPG
IMG_6078.JPG [ 2.56 MiB | Viewed 1879 times ]

PostPosted: March 27th, 2015, 3:32 pm 

I only had one taker when I posted this, and that was Kevin. We did, however, have a few other PBSers that joined the local crew. Thought I'd bring this post to the front again since the trip was this past week so I could share with some of you. It was a great trip. Wish more of you could have joined us.

Attachments:
File comment: My nephew on his first outing with bow. Although not a PBS member (yet), I had to share since he shot this 5ft2.5in gar.
20150324_113717.jpg
20150324_113717.jpg [ 407.95 KiB | Viewed 1674 times ]

PostPosted: March 27th, 2015, 3:39 pm 

I'll have to post some more shortly. I've evidently not resized all the pics to post yet.

Attachments:
File comment: Kevin arriving Baton Rouge from Morton, IL
IMG_0730.JPG
IMG_0730.JPG [ 765.17 KiB | Viewed 1674 times ]

PostPosted: March 27th, 2015, 3:48 pm 

Pictures here are the total take from both nights of bowfishing. If memory serves, we came away with about 77 redfish, 27 (?) sheepshead, several gar, including the 5ft 2.5 incher shown in the middle of the rack. TJ had another nice gar but it didn't look all that great on the rack with the one shown.

Attachments:
File comment: PBS members photo, but with first night's take from PBS members and local crew.
IMG_0824.JPG
IMG_0824.JPG [ 648.9 KiB | Viewed 1672 times ]
File comment: Second nights take. Entire crew.
IMG_0342.JPG
IMG_0342.JPG [ 424.71 KiB | Viewed 1672 times ]

PostPosted: March 27th, 2015, 3:57 pm 

Going to keep trying to post two or three pics at a time only...

Attachments:
File comment: Counting fish so as not to exceed limit on one of boat decks.
IMG_0272.JPG
IMG_0272.JPG [ 354.87 KiB | Viewed 1671 times ]
File comment: One of crews heading out just before sunset.
IMG_0834.jpg
IMG_0834.jpg [ 353.38 KiB | Viewed 1671 times ]

PostPosted: March 27th, 2015, 4:04 pm 

There were not an excessive amount of night time pics. Honestly, we were pretty busy shooting.

Attachments:
File comment: Second boat heading out for an evening of shooting.
IMG_0835.JPG
IMG_0835.JPG [ 528.9 KiB | Viewed 1671 times ]
File comment: Proof we were out at night.
IMG_0858.jpg
IMG_0858.jpg [ 208.91 KiB | Viewed 1671 times ]
File comment: Quite a barrow full of fish between the two boats.
IMG_0813.JPG
IMG_0813.JPG [ 782.13 KiB | Viewed 1671 times ]

PostPosted: March 27th, 2015, 4:08 pm 

Might have been a tad bit of culture shock for some of these guys.

Attachments:
File comment: Bill Terry sampling some of the crawfish pie pre-trip.
IMG_0759.jpg
IMG_0759.jpg [ 227.47 KiB | Viewed 1671 times ]
File comment: PBSers with their own 5 lb platter of boiled crawfish post-trip.
IMG_0888.jpg
IMG_0888.jpg [ 295.23 KiB | Viewed 1671 times ]

PostPosted: March 27th, 2015, 4:30 pm 

Just found two more pics that help complete the story.

Bill, thanks for the photo. I pray you don't mind if I shared it with every body here..

Attachments:
File comment: This photo gives a better perspective on the size of the boats
20150324_190604.jpg
20150324_190604.jpg [ 630.95 KiB | Viewed 1669 times ]
File comment: This is a picture Bill Terry took... It's a tad blurry, but gives a feel of the action.
IMG_0315.JPG
IMG_0315.JPG [ 161.27 KiB | Viewed 1669 times ]

PostPosted: March 27th, 2015, 8:29 pm 

Looks like you guys had a great time. Whats with the winter jackets?

PostPosted: March 27th, 2015, 8:58 pm 

These are night time trips. Temps are sometimes in the 50s. It's obviously windy, and damp. Therein lies the reason for the winter coats.

PostPosted: March 28th, 2015, 7:39 pm 

Talked to Bill and he said you guys had a blast. Confirms the story the pictures tell.

Thanks Russ for organizing such a great outing!

PostPosted: March 29th, 2015, 6:32 am 

That looks like a lot of fun. Those platters of little lobsters look even better!

PostPosted: March 29th, 2015, 5:58 pm 

Thanks Terry... yeah... it was a HOOT! But you know how it is? It's the individuals and attitudes that make the trip. All were TOP-NOTCH!

Little lobsters? HA!

PostPosted: March 29th, 2015, 9:54 pm 

Wow, what a fantastic week of adventure and culture I hadn't experienced previously. The best part was our most gracious and generous hosts, Dot and Russ Lantier. Thank you again for welcoming us to your home and especially the Kudu Lounge. As Russ mentioned, the people that we shared the time with and the entire atmosphere are what made this such a memorable trip. Can't wait until next time!
After I left Russell's home, I stayed with fellow PBSer Greg Whelton in Abita Springs and had some more adventure taking a large boat across Lake Pontchartrain, having dinner in New Orleans with Greg's son, Nick whom some of you know from several PBS hog hunting camps, and finished off my trip sharing dinner with Greg's family and another PBS brother, Thomas Burns. Thank you all for making my first week of retirement one I'll never forget!