Post subject: Re: 2014 BUCKeye Bowhunt
PostPosted: November 18th, 2014, 6:44 am 

Membership Status: Regular Member
Looked like a successful hunt to me.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: November 18th, 2014, 8:09 am 

Just seeing a picture of that plywood floor makes my back hurt. :lol:

Is Daniel ready to make another trip or has he seen enough of Ohio?

PostPosted: November 18th, 2014, 9:32 pm 
Site Admin

Bill, Daniel loves Ohio and has good memories from his early childhood there, plus he killed his first buck there. He wants one more chance at those deer. One interesting thing to Daniel, since he loves to fish, was the big stripped bass that were feeding on the shad next to our waterside camp - we are already planning a spring turkey hunt there and will definitely spend time fishing too. I would love one more shot at those lake deer before the gun season changes everything; I'm trying to figure out how to sneak away from work for just a few more days while the rut is still on!

Romans 10:15 “.......How beautiful are the feet of those that bring the Good News of Jesus...”

PostPosted: November 19th, 2014, 7:48 am 

Membership Status: Associate Member
This weekend is the youth gun season. 22nd-23rd. If you make it up this weekend make sure you bring your orange vest with you. I would hate to see you lose hunting time because of this rule.

PostPosted: December 17th, 2014, 8:22 pm 
Site Admin

Daniel is home from college and had a great first semester, all A's, unlike me when I nearly flunked out of my first semester of college. To celebrate we are gonna give those monster Buckeye Bucks on last chance to surrender to our superior bowhunting skills. This time we mean business! It will be a short hunt though, as I have to work until dark on friday, then watch his sisters play high school basketball , before we make the long drive north through the night. If I can stay awake, we should arrive before dawn and hunt all day saturday at the same public area. I am leaving the boat at home this time - there is a big chunk of land I want to explore all day that is away from the roads. Saturday night we are staying with a bowhunting friend who shares our love for big bucks, Skyline Chili and the Bengals-Steelers rivalry (Mickey Lotz aka The Ferret). We will hunt sunday morning, then load our big bucks in my truck and head home. If its God's will, of course. I've had good luck with second rut action around Christmas in Ohio in the past, so we'll see what happens. I killed my first trad bow buck on December 18 in Cinci, many moons ago, and he was one of five bucks that were after a yearling doe in heat.

Romans 10:15 “.......How beautiful are the feet of those that bring the Good News of Jesus...”

PostPosted: December 19th, 2014, 11:24 am 

Enjoyed the story and photos... Thanks for taking the time to share with us.

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2014, 3:55 pm 
Site Admin

Daniel and I had the choice of a short weekend hunt in which we would do more driving than hunting, or staying home and watching football. We chose to hunt but didn't leave NC until 10:30 pm and made it to our hunt area by 6:30 am on saturday, right on time. A shot of strong coffee and a good book on CD helped keep my eyes open. There was light snow falling and we began walking back to the area I wanted to see, when a nice buck crossed the trail about a hundred yards ahead of us. We tried to catch up but spooked him and some does in the crunchy leaves...

That was a good start to the day, and we spent hours walking trails, splitting up several times. Some beavers had been busy near the lake

I bumped deer three times - they sure were spooky since Ohio's gun season had ended just a few weeks ago. The area was a lot bigger than I expected and we didn't quite see it all, actually missed what I thought was the best, most remote spot, but I saw enough evidence that some nice bucks are present..

We decided to try another thick, brushy area where we had seen more than a dozen does on our previous hunt. I set up a stand for daniel in a good spot..

but he didn't see anything. I walked another area and got close to a doe, before she disappeared onto private land. A guy was hunting rabbits with his beagles, and we talked to him at the parking area. He showed us a cell phone pic of a huge buck that his buddy had killed in the area the previous week.

Instead of camping this time, we hit the easy button and stayed with a bowhunting friend in the area. Actually he WAS a bowhunter, with great skills as a bowyer and more bowhunting accomplishments than most in his career, but he has lost his desire to bowhunt anymore. His passion now is riding his motorcycle. That kind of spooked me, wondering if it would happen to me.

We were back in the same spot before dawn and Daniel sat the treestand again, with the same reuslts. I made a push to him and ran three does past him. One stopped at 20 yards but the angle was bad and Daniel declined the shot. Thus ended our Ohio bowhunt.

We packed up and headed for home, making one last pit stop before hitting the road. It was our third Skyline meal in two days - yum!

We also drove past the house where Daniel spent 6 good years of his childhood, good years with a lot of memories. Often I wonder why we ever left this area, and how things would have been different if we had stayed. But life is about decisions and there is no use in second guessing past decisions, good or bad.

No deer were harmed by us this weekend, but it was still fun spending time with my son with our bows chasing deer. I doubt I will return before the deer season closes, but we already are planning to return with my boat in the spring, to chase gobblers in the morning, fish for crappies and bass during the afternoon, and look for shed antlers in the evenings.

PostPosted: January 15th, 2015, 1:32 pm 
Site Admin

I have good news, and then even "gooder" news:

Good news: I definitely plan to return to my wilderness lake in 2015 to chase those big buckeye deer, and both David and Seth may join me there, especially if I can work out some logistics to make hunting this area by boat more productive. I love being able to combine camping and bowhunting, and when you throw in a boat into the mix, you could have a real adventure! I have a tip on a better way to camp on this lake and hunt it by boat, that I will check out soon. I plan to return for a squirrel/shed antler hunt in late February with Bill Dunn, then for spring turkeys in late april/early may, and maybe for a summer fishing/scouting/camping trip. I plan to open up the hunt as a regional hunt, so that other PBSers can join the fun. The area could easily handle 6-8 hunters in camp (possibly more), and I know some deer would be taken.

The other news: David's friend Seth has joined the PBS, and as a serious, dedicated bowhunter, will fit right in. David's influence won him over, along with all the good threads and information on this website. Welcome to the PBS, Seth!

PostPosted: January 17th, 2015, 8:08 am 

Membership Status: Associate Member
Thanks Jeff!

It was great getting to meet you in Ohio and I look forward to this years adventure!

This fall, David had directed me to the re-cap of your elk hunt on this site. After spending some time on here, it seemed like a organization that I need to be part of.

What could be better than a group of diehard bow hunters!

Seth